First Night

True Love's Test

 

“So I guess we're going to have to make the best of this for the next week or so, huh? I'm Yunho, nice to meet you.” he said with a light smile while holding his hand out as a peace offering. They had started off on the wrong foot. This didn't have to be unpleasant. Sure, the poor guy had to be disappointed that he was being cheated out of a proper match, forced to spend a whole week cooped up for nothing. It wasn't their fault though, it was all True Love's mistake, and they would gain nothing by being at each other's throats. There was nothing neither of them could do for now, so the only thing that made sense was to just live and let live.

 

“If you leave me and my stuff alone, I will do the same for you and your stuff. Let's just try and keep out of each other's way, okay? It's late. I'm going to bed.” Changmin said dryly, ignoring his hand, leaving him hanging as he stood up and walked past him, intense determination in his stride. That jerk was a piece of work, he thought as he watched him disappear into the bedroom, taking with him the stick that was stuck up his . His rich privileged that thought that just because he was born pretty, growing up coddled in a world made of money, meant that he automatically had the right to call all the shots. It was people like that whom Yunho disliked the most. This was going to be one long week.

 

It took Yunho a moment to realize that he had not only disappeared into the bedroom, but he had disappeared into the only bedroom. Taking a quick look around, he confirmed his ominous suspicions. A one bedroom apartment, a little love nest.

He sprung up, throwing the door wide open. Changmin was carefully finishing unpacking his fancy suitcase into the most conveniently located drawers of the room's only closet, already having taken over the limited hanging space. His clothes were simple but high class, folded neatly, all in perfect order. They were as subtly pretentious as their owner. His maid had probably packed for him, while he was lying on a thousand thread satin bed sheet, eating strawberries. ? How was that a rich thing? Why was he ? He shook that ridiculous scenario out of his head, amazed at how detailed the visual his mind had created was.

 

Changmin glanced up at him when he came in. He wasn't sure if he was imagining things, but he could have sworn he had seen the shadow of a gloating expression glide over his face before it turned to stone. His stoic mask back in place. He got the feeling this kid was used to hiding his true self from the entire world, letting no one in, battling with life's ups and downs on his own, trapped inside himself. Although what downs could he possibly have had to endure? Yunho's heart couldn't really go out to him for having some self made luxury problems when his own life had been a struggle from his first breath, and would probably continue to be so until his last. He had been born with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck, barely breathing, fighting for his right to exist in this world and he was still fighting.

“I saved you one.” Changmin grinned with an evil glint in his eyes, opening the bottom drawer. “Oh, you shouldn't have. No, you really shouldn't.” Yunho answered with ironic politeness, trying to kill him with his smile.

“Ah, and there's only one bed, so I figured you could take the sofa.” he added grinning, like it was the natural order of things. The prince took the bed, while his servant dog slept on the sofa. Oh, he had no idea who he was dealing with. Yunho was nobody's lapdog. No matter how dire his situation had gotten, he had never begged nor sold his soul to another, and he wasn't about to start now. He was used to having to stick up for himself, he was just not used to dealing with such arrogant, non-compliant, evil bastards.

“I'm pretty sure I'm older so..” Yunho shamelessly used the age card, the card no Korean could afford to ignore.

“So?” Changmin just shrugged. The nerve! Yunho was so surprised by this blatant disregard for a tradition so intertwined into Korean society that it practically ran in their blood.

“I'm younger and I got here first, so..” he added with sass, raising one of his eyebrows like he was challenging him to make his next move. Yunho's blood was boiling. He knew he shouldn't let his horrible attitude affect him, but somehow he had gotten under his skin and it irked him.

 

After a few minutes of standing frozen in the doorway like an idiot, Changmin's insolence leaving him completely speechless, he got an idea. He walked into the room like he owned it, planting himself right on the bed. He then turned to Changmin, triumphantly raising his eyebrow back at him. Take that you little spoiled brat, he thought, chuckling to himself. What a of genius.

Changmin smiled for the first time since they got here, or it was more like a smirk, but he figured that was probably the closest thing to a smile he was ever going to get. Changmin knew he had lost, Yunho had outsmarted him and there was nothing he could do but concede. Victory tasted sweet. He lay down on his back, spreading his long limbs in every direction as if to say 'This bed is mine!'. It was so comfortable that he realized just how tired he was, not having had much sleep last night and spending the whole day filling out papers and doing tests had left him wiped. He was tempted to close his eyes.

“Fine, but I get the bathroom first.” Changmin spat at him as he stood up and strutted into the bathroom, closing it a bit too harshly. Aw, what a sore loser. That should teach him not to try to go up against Yunho the Great, he giggled to himself. He was loving this way too much.

Wrapping himself up in the duvet, sleep weaved its sneaky tentacles around him, trying to convince him to let go and join the dark side, but he knew that if he didn't wash up before bed he would wake up with pimples all over. His skin was annoying like that and he couldn't afford to compromise his skin since it was his bread and butter. So he waited.

Lying there, with his hands under his head, staring at the ceiling, his mind wandered to Yuna. She was probably already in bed. She frequently had an early practice session in the wee hours of the morning so she was a habitual early riser. He wished he was lying in bed beside her, watching her angelic sleeping face, marveling at what of luck had led her to him.

 

Changmin exited the toilet without a word, grabbing one of the pillows on which Yunho was lying, yanking it not so gently out from under him, heading to the living room. His navy blue pajama bottoms swayed with dignified rage as his long legs carried him away. Served him right. Let's see how his royal bottom reacts to having to rest for an entire night on cheap commoner material, he thought as he skipped happily to the bathroom, getting ready for bed.

 

Still drying his face with the towel, he crawled into bed, but it wasn't quite as comfortable as he remembered. He was lying on something hard. Sticking his hand under his back to investigate further, it found warm, soft skin. It was a human limb. That made no sense, since all of his were already accounted for. One, two feet. One, two arms. He rechecked just to be sure. He jumped up, fearing what he would find.

Changmin! That big rat! He was lying there, pretending to be fast asleep, covering a good two thirds of the bed. What a sly trickster! He had fooled him. He had completely taken him for a ride. Feigning defeat, he had gone as far as to put on this huge charade, pretending to go out, just to sneak right back in while he was washing up. Yunho didn't doubt for a moment this had been his plan from the start. Now that smirk of his made complete sense. He had underestimated how deep his deviousness reached, that would not happen again.

Everything rode on what he would do know, how he would react. This was a clear struggle for power and if he went to sleep on the sofa, it was the same as relinquishing all of it to Changmin. He would not survive a whole week of Changmin's antics if Changmin believed he had proven himself to be the alpha male here. No. He had to establish dominance somehow.

 

He sighed. There was only one thing to do. He squeezed himself into the bed, beside him, pulling the covers off of him, entangling himself in them so Changmin wouldn't be able to swipe them back. It wasn't very comfortable, but it was what he had to do. And with that, he gave into sleep's powerful persuasion, drifting off into a turbulent dream.

 

“OUCH!” Yunho exclaimed, startled. A sharp pain in his side had woken him up. The room was enveloped in darkness so he couldn't see a thing. What the hell was that? He didn't have to wait long to find out. Changmin kicked him again, with force. That little monster, he didn't even let up in his sleep! Yunho pushed back to try and get him to stop. He waited, but nothing happened.

 

He lay on his back, his eyes wide open, staring aimlessly into the darkness. This was not how he had pictured his first night. He had worried he would have to struggle to keep his hands off some beautiful goddess, not that he had to sleep in fear of being attacked by a gay man.