Tomorrow

True Love's Test

 

"It's tomorrow." he said.

 

"Mmm." Changmin answered, avoiding the issue. He would be lying if he said he wasn't nervous, and that was exactly what he was going to do. Lie. He would rather die than own up to being so nervous his stomach was all in a twist. He had hardly been able to eat, even though they had ordered in all their favorites since this was their last meal together in a long time. He didn't like to think about it. Especially because it made him so mad.

The government was already overstepping their bounds in so many areas, but now they were going to come into his home, forcefully rip him away from the guy that he loved, only to tell him who they thought he should love? He clenched his fists, grinding his teeth as the rage returned. He had worked hard at keeping it away while they ate, trying not to let it ruin their last night together. That was why even though every bite was torture, he ate like he had never eaten before. He was not going to let them win, he was going to fight with all he had, every step of the way.

He had lost that round though. After being force fed a mountain of food, his upset stomach couldn't take it anymore. It betrayed him completely. Weakened by stress, it gave in, throwing up every last bit of that meaningful meal. Taking their side and not his. He cursed at it silently as it grumbled from hunger. 'Now you are hungry? Yeah, don't come crying to me, you Brutus! You and me are over, starting right now. If you are hungry, you can go cry on their shoulder. But know this, to get to their delicious betrayer food, you're going to have to go through me. And I'm ready to fight!'. His blood was boiling.

 

"What are you thinking about?" Kyuhyun asked, his hand finding Changmin's under the covers. "Oh nothing." He lied, tying their fingers together with an invisible string so they would never have to be separated.

 

“So.. ehm.. have you packed already?” Kyuhyun inquired, though it seemed more like he was trying to find something to say rather than having an actual interest in his packing situation. He was nervous, he could tell. They weren't really a very lovey dovey style couple, they didn't discuss feelings. Ever. They didn't need to. They both knew they loved each other.

They were the perfect match right from the get-go, always shooting at each other with cynical word bullets, aiming for the heart. The first hundred bullets or so missed, but then one night, a different kind of bullet hit the target and they had been together ever since. There was no need to lose sleep over it, staying up endless nights talking about how this and that made them feel. Ugh, it made Changmin get hives just thinking about it. They liked each other, they pushed each other's buttons, in all the right and wrong ways. They fought, they made up, they made love, they had fun and then they fought again. It was a nice equilibrium, a routine of sorts, but certainly not a boring one and not one he was willing to give up.

 

“I guess, sort of.” Changmin answered, not really in the mood to talk about packing. He shouldn't even need to pack, this whole thing was so ridiculous. Testing people's blood to see if they were a match to each other. Why didn't they just skip the middleman and make people drink each other's blood like vampires. Then if you liked the taste, you were fated to be together. Absurd, right? Yet no more absurd than having a mandatory blood test decide who you were going to spend the rest of your life with.

He didn't know what pull the head of True Love had, but he must have bought off a whole lot of government officials. And the True Love cult wasn't helping either, everyone living a self fulfilled prophecy by dating their 'fated ones'. What happened to just hooking up at a party, getting to know each other through friends or heck, clashing when you both reached for the last ketchup bottle at the supermarket? He would rather have it be that corny (though he cringed at the thought of being the lead of his very own romantic comedy) than doing it through a blood test. Seriously, what medication was the world taking and why was he the only sober one?

 

Kyuhyun squeezed his hand a bit, clearly having a silent debate with himself. Finally he uttered “Do you think... I mean, tomorrow that is... that... “. His voice faltered without finishing the sentence.

Changmin sat up in the bed, facing him shocked. “You don't really think it works, do you?!” he asked incredulously. “Please tell me you haven't gone over to the dark side? Dude, come on! Yeah, do I think that IF it worked, we would be seeing each other again in less than twelve hours? Obviously!” he exclaimed with dramatic hand gestures.

“But there is no way your blood knows better than you yourself who you should be with. Are you kidding me! My blood says a lot of things. It could have some risk factors for cancer or you could device some sort of formula calculating that based on my risk factors for this and that, that I should live to be a hundred. But that doesn't mean that I'm necessarily going to get cancer, and I could get hit by a car tomorrow, dying at the age of 20 and not a hundred. What does my blood have to say about that, huh? Who we love is not embedded in our DNA, that's just a plot for a bad science fiction movie!!” he was almost shouting, having gotten all worked up. It just made him so pissed off.

Kyuhyun was smiling. Why was he smiling? Was his rage funny to him? Kyuhyun reached over and gave him a soft kiss that lingered on his lips even after he had pulled away, caging his anger. For now.

 

However, a caged anger could still roar. He knew he shouldn't have read that brochure, but he had been curious what kind of propaganda they were using to get everyone on their side. It had been worse than he had expected. It said that the chances of success were infinitely higher if you were open to the process, open to the possibility of love and willing to accept it. Well, duhh. If you decided beforehand that the person you were going to meet was the love of your life and that if you didn't get married you would lose all chance of happiness for the rest of your life, then unless you found that person completely insufferable, you were going to convince yourself that you were in love. Desperation could make people do crazy things. It was as simple as that.

Now he might not be the smartest person on the entire planet, but at least he wasn't stupid enough to fall for that. He already had love, love that he himself had chosen, not some pretend government sponsored love that just happened to be on sale. Well, he wasn't buying. They might be able to fool lesser people into believing it was a bargain, but he wasn't falling for it. He could smell them rotten apples a mile away, even if they were hidden in a neatly packaged apple pie. Using people's gullibility like that. Not him. He wouldn't go down that easily. He was sure going to show them. He could be a hell of a lot more stubborn than his blood. They were not going to get to plaster his picture on a poster as another success story, using him to scam more people.

 

Never in a million years!