[1/1]

The True Story of Cinderella
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a beautiful night in June - the first night of June to be exact - and relaxing next to the garden's amazing fountain, he ecstatically gazed his reflection. From the garden, he could see the mansion, a pink and old - yet fancy - mansion that was so illuminated on that celebration's night. It was reflecting on the garden lots of lights, sparkles, laughs, music and voices. From the open windows, it could be seen some couples dancing, girls and boys with amazing and brights dresses, floating between steps and movements and boys with elegant and fancy suits. Silhouettes of lovers passed by the courtains to rely on the window sills. Seen from the garden, those things looked unreal and from another world - at least for him. The happiness surrounded the house in quick and agitated even tough it could be a little bit sad and cruel.

Luhan was eighteen and that was his first ball. He came with his uncle Suho who was also his godfather. Followed by Luhan, Suho crossed the shiny entrance with his steps echoing on the large hallway and walked forward to the hosts of that night's party who were standing at the first room's door. They greeted each others while Luhan was feeling a little dizzy for seeing so many unknown faces, dresses and suits of multiple colors, for profusion of voices, flowers, lights and perfumes. Everything for him was confusing and too much accumulated, so accumulated that he only saw that the host's wife was wearing a baby-blue dress and the host himself had red cheeks like a pure apple.

- This is my nephew Luhan. He's Yi Fan's first son - Suho announced.

The host's wife smiled with an absent mood, she greeted Luhan with a kiss on his cheek, Luhan presumed that it was very common and fancy use the western style.

- I know your father very well but it's been a while since last time I saw him.  

- Ah! Yi Fan's son - the host smiled kindly -I know your father too, he's like family. How is he?

- He's okay now, thank you. - Luhan answered - But he was very sick this winter. 

- Sick? What a inconvinience. - the host commented, already absent-mind to Luhan and smilling to the other guests who had arrived.

The host's wife called her daughter, a girl with the most explendid dress he had ever seen before, it was gold and it was sparkling along with her movements. Luhan didn't know why but he felt so jealous of that girl - even tough that color didn't fit her at all. The girl smiled at him and greeted him as the same way as her mother did. Then she took Luhan to the ballroom.

The room was full of people dancing, pairs who multiplied on the huge green mirrors stuck on the doors. At the corner of the room, a group of musicians were playing a wonderful melody which made Luhan feel comfortable. By the windows, the garden's perfumes filled the room and made the huge courtain float softly as the wind blowed.

The host's daughter introduced Luhan to her friends who greeted and smiled to him with an uninterested gaze, like he wasn't even there. They spoke very fast, in sentences a little incomprehesible. They also were blinking stupidly - especially the girls - and  shook their hairs or - in the boys' case - they kept touching their suits. Luhan looked at them with anger and fear, they all looked gorgerous, cheerful for a happy and safe life. 

The music stopped, the pairs who were dancing spreaded all over the ballroom and some of them came to join the group, at that moment, there were more four boys and two girls. Luhan tried to catch up the conversation and he even asked something but nobody answered him. The music started again so the boys invited the girls to dance and the group vanished.

Luhan was alone, nobody came to request him for a dance and - shy as he was - he didn't ask anyone to dance either. He leaned against the door's jambs. Two boys passed by him, one dressed with a fancy blue suit and the other with a white one, equally fancy. They looked at him from head to toes with a teasing gaze.

-Who's that? - Luhan heard one of them whisper. 

-I don't have any idea. -the other one replied.

Both of them glanced coldly at him as if Luhan was an intruder and they wanted wanted him away from the ball, pushing him with their eyes. It was like they didn't accept him without knowing him and arrested him to the useless spot of their world. Luhan pretended not to hear and moments after, two girls joined them to dance.

Luhan stood alone, leaned against the door. That room full of people, lights and music seemed like a beautiful and desirable place, however, there's wasn't for him.

Three more girls passed by him, they glanced at him and left talking to each other.

They are talking about me.

Luhan tought, still leaned against the door. He looked around searching for a safe spot where he could be more invisible and saw, moments later across the room, an empty chair near to a window, half-hidden by a courtain.

- I'm going to sit there. - he told to himself.

But he had to cross half of the ballroom to do that. On the way to the chair, there was a mirror where he stood for a while to look at his reflection. Once again, he realized that his suit was horrible. 

Eight days earlier, his uncle Suho arrived at Luhan's  humble house with a happy smile.

- Luhan - Suho started - Next week, you're going to a ball with me.

- But I don't have formal suits - Luhan announced.

- I have one that can fit you. Come to my house tomorrow to have lunch and we will see it.

On the next day, Luhan was in his uncle's house. He had barely arrived when Suho grabbed him by his arm and dragged him to a room full of closets and mirrors. Suho pushed a rope to call a maid.

- Open that closet. - Suho ordered to the maid, pointing with his finger to a old closet.

The maid obeyed and appeared lots of formal suits hanging in racks.

- Take that one. - Suho ordered her once again.

The maid showed them the suit that Suho chose. It had only two parts: the white shirt lots of ruffles on the collar and the bottom made of purple silk.

- It's new - Suho said - But it makes me look fat.

Luhan thought that the suit was horrible and out-dated. He knew that no one wears purple at this time of the year, besides, he really didn't like purple.

- Purple doesn't suit me. - Luhan carefully stammered.

- In your age every color is good. - Suho answered - Take off your clothes and wear it.

Luhan undressed to wear that horrible suit quickly. On the closet door, there was a mirror and Luhan admired himself through it. After looking at himself from head to toe, he was more certain that the suit was horrible.

- This color doesn't suit me for sure. - Luhan sighed.

- That color was made to be seen underneath the electric lights - Suho explained.

Luhan didn't dare to talk back, he loved his uncle too much - even tough he was very stubborn. The tailor started to stuck some needles on the parts of the suit that needed some adjustsments.

- On the ball's night, you have to wear a coat too - Suho said.

- But I don't have a formal coat. - Luhan said but Suho was already arguing with the tailor about his own suit.

Luhan spread his arms and, while the tailor was taking his measures, Luhan look doubtful at his image on the mirror. He always dreamed of going to a ball since he remembered, he wished so passionately about that night.

His life was divided between his widower father, his two brothers, the talkative maids, his mother's misterious garden - now full of dust and moss. It wasn't a sad life but a boring and modest one. Sometimes, his few friends talked of balls like it was a different world full of joy and happiness, a world where everything was easy but only for rich people. At that moment, the ball was for him the door for that world, he couldn't miss the ball, he mustn't let the door close. With caution, he tried to convince his uncle to wear another suit.

- I like this suit, it's beautiful but it's suppose to wear green or blue to the first ball.

- Blue, purple, it's the same thing at night - Suho replied - Besides, you have your upper body in white.

Luhan understood that there was nothing to be done about that subject and the worst thing he could do was to miss the ball. He didn't say nothing more until he went off from his uncle's house. Outside, he started to look around the stores in the streets, but the coats and suits were very expensive for him.

What am I going to do?

At home, he searched for something at the attic, there was a little of everything - unstable chairs, old lamps and magazines, books bitten by rats and empty pots. At the corner, there was a black box full of knots and a little closet. Luhan searched inside of it and in between of that amount of coats, he found one that had almost his measures however it was in very bad conditions. The coat was black and had only three buttons instead of the normal five ones, one of its sleeves was falling and had a hole on the elbow, it also had some taints here and there. Luhan shook it to release it from some of the dust. With some patches, it would look average.

The only problem was having to hide the coat because it was certain that he wouldn't walk around with it. Maybe he should hide it behind a courtain or leave it in the carriage.

- There won't be a problem - Luhan smiled when he finished the repairs - It'll be alright.

But at that moment in the ballroom, he was hidden behind a group of persons not to stand out or show himself to anyone except that mirror.

I shouldn't have come.

The mirror was old and its bottom was tarnished, tainted and a little green. He decided to walk away from the ballroom full of people who would notice him sooner or later. Outside the room, he asked a maid where the bathroom was and she gve him instructions to go upstairs. In the bathroom, there were three young men brushing their hair and admiring themselves in the mirror. They didn't see him enter and kept talking with each other even tough one of them was just looking at the other ones.

- Who's that boy with those horrible purple pants? - One of them suddenly asked, making Luhan gave a few steps backwards.

- I don't know but I tought that there wasn't anyone with enough courage to wear purple anymore.

- Poor thing, I feel pity for him, it must have been a borrowed suit.

- You two are so snob - the blonde guy, who was quiet all the time spoke - The suit is horrible but he's very handsome.

- Maybe if he were wearing clothes more... elegant, I'd talked with him.

Luhan didn't want to hear anymore, he walked backwards carefully and headed out without making noise, hoping not to be seen.

Why had I to come to this ball? Here, my clothes are like a not-allowed thing in their world.

He went downstairs. In the entrance, he stopped in front of a huge mirror with a shiny golden frame and  through its reflection, Luhan realized how pale and about to cry. He slapped himself with both hands to contain those tears. He shouldn't be like this yet he's acting like a child.

Then, above his head, he saw the blonde guy walking down the stairs, he was slim and had an absent air and was wearing a dark-green suit with a black bow on his neck. Luhan pretended not to see him looking at himself through the mirror but the boy walked in his direction and stopped next to him looking at the mirror with a kind smile.

- Don't look at yourself in this mirror. It makes you with a bad face.

- That's right, I guess - Luhan replied a little bit surprised.

- Your skin is very fair and pretty - the boy said - But in this mirror looks like it have a tone of grey so it's better not look.

The silence remained for a few instants until someone call the boy to go to the ballroom. The boy - named Minseok - stood there and smiled.

- Wait a minute - Minseok answered at the voice.

Minseok glanced again at Luhan and then he smiled.

- You know, it's not necessary giving importance to these mirrors. They're like bad people, they don't speak the truth. 

- I guess you're right - Luhan agreed, trying to catch up the unnexpected conversation.

- You know, - Minseok looked absent-mind, like he was alone - We don't know exackly what the bad reflections, bad glances and bad words want from us. Perhaps they want to see our soul ruined, but we have to let our soul be free.

- Right - Luhan agreed surprised.

Then Minseok smiled again and brushed his hair with his fingers while smiling at Luhan.

- I have to go now. See you around.

Luhan kept on thinking in Minseok's words after he left. It was like Minseok had left some kind of secret meaning in the air, somehing unfinished.

- What did he want to say? - Luhan asked himself - Could it be that he had noticed me in the bathroom and he was trying to comfort me? - he looked at his reflection on the mirror - Or maybe he was just saying those things to show me that he's an interested person?

Luhan was feeling confused and annoyed, he suspected of Minseok's kindness and that sudden conversation. He suspected that Minseok was seducing him into a trap but at the same time, in the bottom of his heart, he knew that Minseok was trying to warn him to defend himself from some danger that Luhan couldn't see.

While he was thinking about that, he arrived at the ballroom's threshold, the chair half-hidden behind the courtain was still empty for his relief. Luhan surpassed the pairs who were dancing and sat there. Near him, someone passed by the courtain and took a deep breath.

- What a wonderful party. - he heard.

Luhan looked up. It was really a wonderful ball, full of lights, music and scents but what had fascinated Luhan - above all of it - were the desses and suits, he never tought that could exist such art. Intensely silent, Luhan admired them, looking at every single detail of each suit.

If one of those suits were mine!

All of a sudden, he felt annoyed and turned to his back to the ballroom, facing the garden instead. The breeze of that night refreshedhis burning face and he stood there, completely ignoring the world behind him.

When he felt more calm, he turned around to the ballroom, admiring the dancing couples all over, some of them were composed by two males. It was a good thing but Luhan felt so lonely and sad that he couldn't bear it, so he turned around once again. As he looked to the other side of the room, he saw the host's daughter near him, she was dancing with a tall, good-looking and fair-skinned boy. The boy saw him behind the courtain and leaned a little to see him better and smiled kindly. Luhan couldn't say that that smiled didn't make his heart flutter, it was so kind.

Then, the boy said something to the girl and she looked at Luhan smilling as she recognized him and said something to the boy.

They are talking about me.

When the music ended, the host's daughter - followed by that charming boy - walked towards the window. Luhan took a glance at the boy, he had blonde and shiny hair, sharp - yet kind - features, kind brown eyes, tempting lips and he was wearing a blue-ocean suit. He wasn't wearing a coat which showed his pure-linen shirt. Luhan admired the boy's gracious appearance for the whole walk and he was sure that he could fell in love with him at any moment - not like Luhan knew what that was.

Luhan pretended not to see them and looked to the garden to show them how focused he was on the view, but the girl stopped a few inches from him.

- Are you watching the garden? - she asked with her kind voice.

Without waiting for his answer, she introduced the boy - named Oh Sehun - and left them. Sehun leaned against the window and Luhan didn't know what to say.

- I was admiring the night - Luhan whispered moments after.

- Let's keep admiring the night then. - Sehun answered.

Turning his back to the ball, Sehun also gazed the full moon and took a deep breath.

- It smells good. - Sehun smiled.

- It is. - Luhan also leaned on the window.

- Everything seems so misterious.

- Misterious? - Luhan raised

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter