TOL 2

Taste of Love

Graded 1.2 for first thesis defense. yes, I'm bragging.


 

Taste Of Love

2

 

Fifteen years had passed since then, but Hyukjae was not still able to find the reason behind the secret passage. He’d been at the library almost every night to find clues, but blame his curious eyes because instead of reading history books he always ended up reading cooking books. He doesn’t regret it because it’s for cooking, and Hyukjae has to blame their school (which he graduated few years back) because their studies don’t include lessons about food, just about the palace’s rooms and their uses.

Duh, like he hasn’t been to those rooms before.

A shuffling of footsteps rendered him out of his thoughts. ! He groaned inwardly and scampers to place the books back to their respective shelves. As he was about to place the last book, the door banged open, and he doesn’t have any choice but to hide under the table. Why is he here earlier than the usual?!

“Damn it! Damn it! Never took the east wings as annoying s.”

“Calm down, Donghae.”

“Calm down? He almost burnt my room!”

Hyukjae frowned and peeked at the little hole he made in the table years ago. He saw those familiar pair of dark-blue shoes – and beside it was a white pair one. So he’s with Teukie hyung. I wonder what happened. More shuffling was heard and although Hyukjae wants to eavesdrop to their conversation, he knows better than to do that.

He stared at the book in his hands.

 

Hyukjae is known by the palace as a troublemaker.

One time the West wings (the term their kingdom used for other royal families from their respective location) visit Myzra when he was 10, Hyukjae ‘accidentally’ poured the Princess some tap water because ‘she’s in my way’ and ‘she’s not looking where she walks’ that earned him several hits on his little head. But when asked later by Sungmin who visited him with Kyuhyun, he told them ‘she was laying her hands on Donghae’, which he earned a knowing glance from the two.

Another one was when the East wings came and he tripped the Queen not-so-secretly because he found him cooing over Donghae. He was nearly kicked out from the palace, but the East Queen herself saves him because she thought Hyukjae was so skinny and perhaps he’s sick or isn’t eating well that sent the whole kingdom’s servants toppling backwards because he is Hyukjae and has the biggest portion of food especially when being a brat.

To say that the whole palace was shocked when the East Queen prepared a feast for the whole kingdom the next day was an understatement.

And other mischiefs happened after that that always gives the servants headaches and heart attacks since it is Lee Hyukjae and unexpected things could happen.

That’s why it was beyond his comprehension when Yesung, the head cook’s assistant, came scrambling towards his closet when he opens the door for him. He ordered Hyukjae to ‘hurry your skinny up’ and he considers walking away when he hears Yesung quiet voice telling him that the head cook, Ryeowook, is sick.

“How did Ryeowook get sick?”

And Yesung told him guiltily about their water activities last night that immediately sent Hyukjae inside the bathroom before he even hears the gist of it.

It isn’t the first time Hyukjae would be cooking; the servants had had enough of his antics that they just leave him circling the kitchen when he was supposed to be cleaning rooms and quarters. In their opinion kitchen was the real place for him anyway; even when they were still studying Hyukjae would sneak out the lecture hall and hid inside the kitchen before cook’s class start and pretend he’s one of them. So house servants let him do as he wishes in exchange of their meals.

And that’s where the problem lies: he has not yet cooked for the Royal family. He can’t afford to be kicked out of the palace once they reject his dishes (not that he thinks it would be) or be hanged because he’s not a chef and they are breaking multiple laws.

But now that the palace had been shaken up because the head cook had just been sick on the birthday of the Prince – Hyukjae was more than happy (and somewhat nervous) to cook for them.

“Why me though?” he asked once he finished fixing the cap in his head and started slicing onions with skilled hands. Yesung and the other servants stared at his superb elegance, until Henry, the never-ending blabber of the group spoke up. “You’re still a dickhead, but at the very least you cook well more than the rest of us, even the head cook, if Yesung hyung would permit me to say.”

Yesung just shrugged. “You know well Ryeowook would agree – wholeheartedly might I add.”

No one even bothered to counter the statement.

 

As the night of the celebration approaches, Hyukjae was spent, and decided he would take a few hours of sleep. The servants were all busy preparing the palace for the party anyway, so no one would notice his absence. But as he enters his room and found the book he decided to take with him the night before lying on the mattress of his bed, he decided to take back the book first. Who knows when the librarian will come out from nowhere and starts wailing about a lost book?

He wears a scarf to hide his face and hair, before picking up the book.

Carrying the light object he enters the secret passage. Hyukjae was immediately surrounded by the night chill and he fumbles taking the torch. He remembers the first time he entered the passage; he was shaking and scared as hell, only fueled by curiosity and desire to know the secret behind the passage he was walking into.

Hyukjae sighed as he was greeted by the familiar smell of old books and woods. “Better be fast.” Clutching the shelf, he tried to reach the place of the book when another hand pops out from nowhere, snatched the book from his hand and placed it on the gap between the books. Hyukjae yawned a ‘thanks’ and about to turn around when he realized he was supposed to be alone and-

- this smell is familiar.

“And what, may I ask, are you doing here in the library?”

Hyukjae never ran faster in his entire life.

 

“I was just returning a book! I swear nothing else!”

The Royal Advisor sighed. “Hyukjae, how many times have I told you to be careful?”

The servant huffed and pouted while crossing his arms. As if thinking of something deeply, he started kicking off invisible dusts with his right foot. At this, his frown deepened. “It’s not like he would recognize me or something.”

Hyukjae touched his chest, heaving a sigh when his hands touched the clothed necklace. He remembered once he was out in the market to buy some cleaning supplies and he encountered a thief which was being chased by a blacksmith. Good thing he was fast and caught him. The blacksmith was so glad he offered to make a bail and a chain for the crystal Hyukjae dropped which apparently, was the one Donghae gave him years ago.

He chuckled remembering how the blacksmith was in turmoil finding out how to make them though.

Smiling a little, he turned to the royal advisor. “I’m going to sleep for a few hours hyung. Would that be alright?”

Leeteuk returned the smile. “I think that’s okay since you replaced Ryeowook for today.” The servant stared at him in shock. “Of course I would know. Yesung asked my permission about it.”

Hyukjae sighs in relief.

 

Donghae is bored.

He’s been greeting guests for hours now and he was already tired. Moreover, nothing really interests him in the party, so he was just strolling around finding something to do.

Unfortunately, he’s been doing the same thing for hours.

“Prince Donghae!” called a shrill voice.

He was tired, bored and irritated with different girls trailing after him everywhere he went. Sometimes, he really blames his super good looks because of it. But nah, he thinks as he faked a smile and greeted the girls back. At least I’m handsome. Donghae does not like to boast, no, he actually hates it, but there are times which he can’t really help it. Not, when girls are all swooning over his charms and elegance and boys are giving him jealous looks.

But the prince is still bored, so he decided he would take a drink.

As he came near the table people bowed to him and he bowed back. Turning his gaze at the dishes, he simply took a plate and fills it with different dish. Forget the drink; the foods are all screaming to be eaten. He was about to take his first bite when someone snatched the spoon away from him.

“You’re looking good tonight, Prince Donghae!”

Donghae glared at the newcomer – a person who deserves to be beaten by a chair because he’s a creepy bastard that keeps harassing anyone and everywhere at any time. The East Wing Prince who managed to bring fire to his room – because apparently Donghae’s choice of curtains doesn’t please him – without anyone noticing. Or they did, they’re just afraid to speak.

In Donghae’s dictionary: Choi Min-ing-Ho.

“You’re not bad yourself, Prince Minho.” He took another spoon to use but Minho snatched it away from him again. Donghae felt his nerves twitch in annoyance, but nevertheless decided to ignore the Prince’s attempt to make him lose his composure.

He finally snapped when Minho snatched the 7th spoon though.

Donghae kicked Minho’s left leg, which earned them several looks from the crowd. He smiled playfully as the prince glared at him. “There’s a spider in your leg.”

Getting a new pair of utensil, Donghae marched away from the table. Before he exits the room, he told Kangin to tell Leeteuk that he would be resting for a bit. “I’m sure they can live without me for a few hours.” And, as Kangin made an attempt to stop him, Donghae ran.

Arriving at the garden, the Prince started eating, only to frown and froze.

 

The kitchen was buzzing with steam and smokes; cooks and servants giving each other a hand because the guests are way too many and although they are used to events like this, it was still really hard. And right at that time the kitchen was no place for guest. That’s why they were shocked when Prince Donghae came running towards the assistant cook, Yesung, asking him who cooked the dishes.

For fear of risking their job and lives, the servants told him that they all contributed in cooking each dishes, since the head chef is sick.

Donghae doesn’t believe them. “Yah, I know all the taste of your dishes, why the lies?”

It’s no secret that the Prince spends most of his free time in the kitchen because he loves food. Free times are not much though, but still he never failed to come there every day to taste all of the cooked dishes, memorizing each and everyone’s style in cooking and their tastes.

More specifically, he’s trying to find a familiar dish.

And he just found it right on his birthday party.

“Yesung!”

The male cook groaned. “Sorry Prince Donghae, but our lips are sealed regarding that matter.”

Donghae sighed. It’s not like he could torture or threaten them to get some information out.

On the other hand, he can.

 

Donghae pouted. Those bastards don’t even flinch on his threat about firing them. Henry even laughed at him! Well, it’s true that his father is the one who holds the power over them, but still, he’s a Prince! He unconsciously stomped on the ground and groaned.

Looking far below him, Donghae wondered about the boy he met fifteen years ago.

He remembered every little detail about his appearance: from the petite and skinny figure, a pair of single-lidded eyes, cute and addicting giggles, and ordinary but well cleaned clothes, the blond hair, and even the stain of the pot on his shirt! He even remembered how he insist to stay at the competition to wait for the boy, but his struggles was proven futile when Kangin easily lifted him towards the carriage.

Donghae smiled, wondering where was the boy now.

 

Apparently he doesn’t need to anymore, because his question was answered the next day.

 

He fastens his pace, giving no thoughts about the servants trying to stop him. He reeled towards the library and without knocking, pushed the door open.

“-you rascal! I’m sending you out of the palace this instance, kid!”

Donghae gritted his teeth as the librarian shouts at the servant. He walks toward the two, stopping the librarian mid-air as he tried to slap the servant. The man looks at him in shock.

“Your highness!”

The librarian bowed automatically, whilst the servant was just standing at their side, staring dumbly at the prince. “Kneel!” the librarian hushed and pushed the figure down, harshly landing on the floor and groaning in pain. Donghae was at his side mere seconds, asking whether he is alright and the poor servant merely cover his face with his scarf as he nodded.

“What is happening here? Even your voice can be heard at my room.”

What a lie, he thinks. His room is on the other side of the palace; it’s just the news flies faster than a whirlwind. He stares at the servant, noticing how his scarf looks familiar.

“This servant, your majesty, stole books from the library.”

“I-I did not!”

“I saw you getting them from the shelves!”

“You can’t expect me to read while floating mid-air, do you?!”

Donghae stared, amused, and finally it dawned to him why the scarf was so familiar.

It was the servant that he helped returning the book last night.

Unknown to the prince, the librarian was clearly not amused. He got up and pulls the servant with him, before a loud sound of a smack lingered through the air, followed by a muffled scream and a pained cry.

 

Hyukjae mentally cursed.

this librarian because he would always do this to him whenever he would catch him getting a book from the shelves. It’s not like he doesn’t know Hyukjae won’t really steal it, it’s just that the man was, and will be forever, a mothering .

He muttered profanities as he tried to get up, only to stop at the Prince’s shocked face.

And then Hyukjae realized his scarf was gone, and Donghae was holding his necklace that too, had fallen on the floor.

Well, .

 


indeed. Comments! ^^

Thanks for reading this anyway.

I don't do proofreads, btw. [Hyukish] you can find the answer to your question at the prologue. *winks*