TOL 1

Taste of Love
 

I want a poster! Lol the other day was my birthday so I decided to do an update.

This was supposed to be a one shot but orz it got too long; 4-to-5-chapters-long. >.<


 

Taste Of Love

1

 

It was just four in the morning, but that didn’t stop a boy from his frantic restlessness due to nervousness and excitement. He kept gazing at the ingredients on the table, deciding which dish he would cook for the gathering. Furrowing his eyes in concentration, the boy didn’t notice his parents walking into the kitchen.

“I see someone’s a little excited.”

The boy turned around in surprise, but panic in his eyes vanished the moment he recognized his parents coming from the room. Instead, he beamed and hugged them with his small, petite hands.

“Mother! Father! I’m thinking of a dish to cook for the King and Queen today! Can you help me, please?” said he with a cute pout adorning his little face.

“Ah, so that explains why you would always sneak into the kitchen while I’m cooking and the mysterious clanking of pans at night.”

The boy giggled and played the hem of his father’s sleeve. Playing with his feet he replied, “I’m so sorry, mother. But father would always smile when mother cooks, so I want to cook too! And then even Mr. Pumpkins would smile!”

His parents laughed softly. “But sweetie,” his mother started to say. “Mr. Pumpkins’ grumpiness would not be cured by a simple soup or dish.”

“Then I would make him an excellent one!”

His mother smiled. “His loneliness is from a different reason.”

The boy blinked, puzzled. “Why, mother? Doesn’t he have his Mrs. Pumpkins to make him smile?”

Sharing a look, his parents sighed and his father lifts him up, sitting him on his thighs. The little boy giggled as he was poked on his nose. “It’s a bit complicated for you to understand, so now let’s concentrate on your dish, okay?”

Although still curious, the boy settled himself in nodding and started rearranging the ingredients.

 

Skipping happily, the boy hummed a village song and dusted some dirt off his worn out long sleeved shirt as he makes his way into the cold morning forest, going to the plaza. Unfortunately, his parents wouldn’t be able to come because his mother was sick, therefore his father would be in their home to take care of her. So now, he’s determined to take home good news.

But fate has other plans, for the boy suddenly tripped over a small rock – spilling his dish on the ground. He started to sniff as the aroma started to loom the air, and he let out tears as it slowly dawned to him that now he doesn’t have any dish to present at the gathering.

“Why are you crying?”

The boy looked up to see a boy his age, dressed in a long sleeve as white as snow, a stylish blue coat, a pair of trousers and leather boots, and adorned with a feathered hat. He sniffed as he takes in the newcomer’s appearance, guessing that the boy must be of some noble family.

Nervousness suddenly engulfed the young boy as the newcomer knelt and dusted off some dirt in his clothes. “Are you hurt?” came his gentle voice that it took the boy seconds to register: the noble boy is talking to him!

He shook his head and wiped his tears, before staring some more at the noble boy who picked up the pot he’s holding earlier.

Right! His dish!

Remembering his dilemma, tears started to roll down his eyes again.

The noble boy must hear him, because he immediately turns to look at him and the boy saw how the other’s look instantly changed into sadness. “I’m sorry. I saw you tripping but I didn’t do anything.”

The young boy took the pot and hugged it tight; he took a glance at the noble boy and shook his head. By doing that though, his shirt was stained.

“Oh!” the noble boy exclaimed as he started taking off his coat, leaving him in his snow white shirt. The boy flinched as the other placed the coat on his shoulders, but was replaced by smells of flowers and relaxing warmth that made him sighed in delight. The noble boy smiled. “It’s cold, so I’ll give that to you. And as sorry for not catching you in time..”

He emitted a small gasp as the noble boy took out a small piece of deep blue crystal from his trousers’ pocket and placed it on his hand. Wide-eyed, he stared at the piece of crystal and the noble boy.

“Look, it’s the same color as my necklace!”

The boy let out small giggles as the noble boy excitedly pointed at his neck and he saw that indeed, it was the same color as his moon-shaped pendant.

Unknown to him, however, the noble boy was dazed at his laugh. It’s like whenever his mother was singing him a lullaby; sweet and addicting that makes his eyes fluttered shut. But this time, it has the opposite effect on him. It was making him feel more alive. So before he could stop himself he asked, “May I know your name?”

The boy simply shook his head.

“Why-“

Oh.

Oh.

“By any chance, are you going at the gathering today?”

The boy nodded. So that explains why.

Servants in their kingdom can’t reveal their name to higher class families unless they are being designated into the Royal Palace. It is one of their written laws that if they took hold of a servant’s name, it’s either they were taking them in, or they were executing him for a crime. Thinking, the noble boy stared at the spilled dish, before taking some on his fingers and tasting it.

“No!!”

But the noble boy was already into his own world. Bursts of flavor are occupying his mouth and he couldn’t help but to moan and shudder in delight. “This is so good!” he was about to take another taste when another hand stops him. He looks at the young boy that is frantically shaking his head.

“Why?”

“That’s dirty.”

“Why?”

“It already spilled on the ground!”

“Why?”

“I tripped!”

“Why?”

“I.. I.. ah! Why the questions? You’re making me dizzy!” exclaimed the boy softly before pouting.

Chuckling, the noble boy stood up and helped the other. Before he could say anything however, loud footsteps are heard and a soldier came panting. The young boy stared confusedly when he kneeled.

“Your highness!”

Both the two stared at the soldier, and then the noble boy said: “What did I say about formalities, Kangin hyung?”

“But Prince-“

“Nu-uh.”

The soldier sighed and rolled his eyes. “God, Donghae. If I knew Teuk would influence you this much, I should have hidden him in my pocket.”

“Liar, you just want him all for yourself.”

“That too.”

Amidst their conversation, the little boy gaped as he stared at the noble boy. No, he was not just a noble, but a royalty!

The prince smiled to his direction. “My name is Donghae, and this is my friend, Kangin hyung.” The little boy and the soldier bowed to each other. “Uhm, I’ll see you at the plaza, right?” the prince asked.

He nodded; Prince Donghae smiled back. “Wonderful! I’ll wait for you! Goodbye!” and he was dragged even before the other could bow.

Clutching the pot by his left hand and the coat on his right, the boy inhaled few times.

“I can do this!”

 

He did.

 

But because some of the ingredients he needed were used in the first dish, it took him some time to gather all of them again. And it was too late when he got into the plaza. The gathering for the cooking competition was already finished.

Staring at the new dish in his hand, the boy started crying softly in disappointment. Then a man suddenly knelt in front of him.

“Why are you crying here, young man?”

“I..” he stared longingly at the stage. The man followed his gaze and realized the pot he was holding for.

“I’m so sorry. But the competition had already finished an hour ago.”

As the boy started wailing, servants who were cleaning in the area took pity on him and decided to eat his dish.

Boy, eat indeed.

“This is delicious! The meat melts in my mouth! And the sauce just burst with flavors!”

All of the other servants agreed and started complimenting the boy, making the latter flushed pink in embarrassment.

“I think you’re really good though! It’s just a shame the councils already picked the servants for the kitchen.”

Another servant chimed in. “But if you really like to be a servant, you could come with us in the palace. After all, one of us has decided to go home next week. But only as a household servant though. Is that alright?”

“R-really?”

All the servants nodded.

The young boy beamed. Cook or not, entering the Royal Palace is still a blessing for his family.

The man, who kneeled in front of him earlier, Shindong, took him in his arms and placed him on his shoulder. “Come on then, I’ll take you to the palace. Aye, forgot to ask, what’s your name kid?”

“Hyukjae. Lee Hyukjae.”

They arrived at the Royal Palace around midnight, so they haven’t really dealt with much commotion as they explained the front guard who the little boy was – he even gave the boy a piece of candy. Grateful, the boy let out an excited squeal, but was instantly hushed by the servants.

 

Hyukjae cowered from the look the man in front was giving him, tugging Shindong’s shirt in the process. Laughing, the latter crossed his arms and kicked the man in front. “Stop staring. It’s rude.”

“Sorry. It’s just-“

“Yeah, I know. By the way Sungmin, I need to go. Kangin says he needs me in his office.”

Sungmin nodded and thanked Shindong. As the man leaves, Hyukjae grasp his shirt in fear and stared at the floor. Watching this, the older chuckled softly. “I’m sorry for scaring you, hyung didn’t mean it.” He smiled as the boy slowly looked up. “What’s your name?”

“H-hyukjae.”

“What a cute name for a young boy. Say, you want hyung to tour you around? People here are asleep already.”  Hyukjae shook his head. “Why not?”

The boy blushed and suddenly, pulled the older’s shirt down. Sungmin then knelt on the floor and almost doubled when Hyukjae whispered:

“H-hyung.. pee.”

 

Hyukjae sneezed.

Sungmin frowned and tugged the young boy’s arm. “Are you cold?” the young boy nodded. “Let’s get you back at the quarter’s then.”

“No, hyung, I want to see more~” he whined and tugged the elder’s trousers. “Please?”

Sungmin sighed, but can’t really say no because of the look the younger was giving him.

Another half-hour passed and Hyukjae was already walking with two left feet as they make their way back to the quarters. On the way, they passed through a big oak door and Hyukjae smelled something that woke him up. He sniffed his way through the door and Sungmin just followed him.

“Ah, that’s the kitchen.”

Little Hyukjae felt his knees go weak. “C-c-can I go inside, hyung?”

“Of course.”

Big was an understatement; the kitchen was HUGE. Pans and pots are hanged on the makeshift wood built on the sides and above the marbled table, while silverwares and cups are placed neatly on each glass cabinets. Other kitchen utensils were also neatly placed under the cabinet in the table and on its top. Even the simple clay pots and burnt woods looked amazing to him. Hyukjae admired them all with so much glee he was about to cry.

“Shindong told me what happened earlier. I’m so, so, sorry Hyukjae.”

The young boy shook his head and grinned. “It’s okay, hyung. At least I’m here now and I made mother and father happy.”

Sungmin smiled, but it once again turned into a frown when he remembered something. “You haven’t told your parents, right?” Hyukjae nodded. “Since I would be going back to the village tomorrow, you can come with me and then I’ll take you back here. Is that okay?”

The excited squeal was enough answer.

 

At five in the morning, Sungmin woke him up since they need papers to sign first regarding the exchange and it would take him an hour to reach the village by foot. Grumbling, Hyukjae got up and rubbed his eyes, all the while Sungmin making arrangements for his bath. As he stepped into the wooden tub, he sighed and closed his eyes.

“I need you to behave at the office. Don’t talk if you weren’t allowed to, don’t do unnecessary things and most important is do not, I repeat, do not go wandering on your own. At least ask a servant to accompany you. Am I clear on this?”

Hyukjae nodded absentmindedly, not aware of the fond look the elder is giving him. After some minutes of silence, Sungmin started breaking it.

“You know Hyukjae, you kind of look like my childhood friend.”

The young boy opens his eyes, curious.

“I mean, a little on face, but not that. It’s how the way you look at things.” Sungmin chuckled as the boy stared at him in confusion. “The way you look at things around you, it’s nonchalant but appreciative, like you’ve seen gold for first time and you were amazed, but you keep it inside. But when you entered the kitchen earlier, your passion just.. flowed everywhere! I felt like I’ve given you a bag of gold just because. You just had this positive aura around you, and it really reminded me of the days with my.. friend.”

“Sungmin hyung, where is your friend now?”

The elder looked longingly at the window with a sad smile.

 

“Donghae!!!”

The boy squealed and ran around, splashing and kicking around the marbled floor of the bathroom he was currently bathed in. His personal servant, Heechul, ran after him but the boy was much faster.

“You’re not giving me much of a choice, your highness.”

 

“Come, we don’t have all day.”

Hyukjae nodded as he hold Sungmin’s hand, knowing that he would be lost if he didn’t. As they got out of the room, they were greeted by other servants who also have their own task and work to do walking to and fro at the hallway. Once they were in front of a mahogany door, Hyukjae tried to read what was written on it. “Ch..ief.. office.. officer.. Choi.. Si..won..”

“An old friend, he is.” Sungmin simply replied.

Sungmin raised his hands to knock, but was interrupted by a loud noise.

“COME BACK HERE!!!”

Everything happened so fast, one second he was clutching his hyung’s shirt, and then the next second he was being toppled down the floor. He groaned, and was about to get up when he felt something sticky on his hands. Hyukjae opened his eyes and found a small glass bottle with yellow substance spilling on the floor; realization then hit him as he immediately recognized the smell.

Honey!

Oh, how much he loved one! He remembered once when his mother cooked pancakes added with honey, it became his instant favorite; anything with honey really, and strawberries.

“I’m so sorry Sungmin, that brat had been getting into my nerves since yesterday so I can’t come with you at the village today.”

Hyukjae saw a little figure running away as he heard Sungmin chuckle whilst taking off the young boy’s honey-stained coat. “I’ll be fine. I would send you a word when I settled. Besides, I have a companion here.” He looked up as his arm was tugged, and he bowed to Heechul.

The latter nodded and stared at the boy. “Ah, so you have finally found a replacement.” He began touching Hyukjae’s hair and his hands, as if examining him. “Hey, he looks like Kyunnie! Just a little though.”

“Kyunnie?” Hyukjae asked. Heechul and Sungmin nodded.

“I must go now before the brat destroys something. Have a safe trip.” They bowed to each other and with that, Heechul was gone. Sungmin finally knocked the door and a simple ‘come in’ was the reply.

 

With permission from the Chief Officer, the two was able to travel back to the village. Hyukjae would have the chance to bid goodbye properly to his parents before starting a new life at the palace. Unknown to him, the elder felt like each step is growing heavier; he isn’t sure if he’s still have something, or someone, to return.

As they entered the village, the young boy noticed the elder’s growing anxiety. He tugged Sungmin’s dirtied cloak. “Hyung?”

The elder hummed but did not look at him. “Does your foot hurt already?”

“No.”

“Hungry?”

“No.”

“Then what is?”

“You worry.”

At this, Sungmin turned to look at him. “What?”

“You worry hyung, your eyes show.” The older chuckled and patted his mop of messy hair. “My dear little Hyukjae, sometimes I really wonder if you’re a child or not.”

The young boy huffed and raised chin. “I am a big boy now!” Hearing this, Sungmin laughed again, but abruptly stopped and widened his eyes.

Hyukjae frowned. “Hyung?” He turned to look at what he’s staring and immediately recognized the man. “Mr. Pumpkins! Hello!” The man gave him a glance and a polite reply, and then lifted his gaze to stare at the elder.

Suddenly, a drop of water fell on the young boy’s nose. He looked up to see rain, but was met by Sungmin’s crying figure. “H-hyung? Why are you crying?” He tugged at the elder’s arm, but his question had fallen into deaf ears.

“You might want to take care of the kid.”

Hyukjae feel Sungmin trembled a little. “D-do you know w-where Hyukjae lives?”

“Yes.”

“C-could you help us-“

“Why should I? Hyukjae already knows the way.”

Sungmin bit his lip to refrain himself from wailing right there and then. With trembling hands he got Hyukjae’s, and then asked him to lead the way. As he stared at the figure of the man from afar, his eyes started to tear up again.

 

To say Hyukjae’s parents were surprised when they saw Sungmin was an understatement. His mother started crying when he saw the elder, and Sungmin wasn’t able to hold his tears anymore. The two have calmed down thereafter, and they decided to talk whilst Hyukjae’s father guided him into the kitchen to get some water for them. Half an hour later he was about to knock at his parent’s room after coming back from the kitchen with simple snacks Hyukjae made from fruits and can’t help to overhear their conversation.

“-he doesn’t want me anymore.”

Hyukjae heard his mother’s voice first. “How can you say that, Sungmin? If you only know how much he became so depressed when he was here, without you, I think it’s best if you talk to him about it.” Then it was his father that he heard after. “Please, Sungmin. You need to try. He’s been enough broken as it is.”

Next he heard was Sungmin’s trembling voice. “I.. okay.”

Hyukjae thinks he heard enough, so he knocked the door.

 

At the far end of the village, beside a stream, lies a red brick house. Designed for its lone occupant, its design is simple and doesn’t contain any decorations but with simple furniture and utensils.

On rainy days the house becomes a water pool, as drippings from the roof keeps falling without mercy until the rain stops. Summer was his second favorite season, except for times when it’s too hot and he feels he’s like inside a fire chamber; so he would go out and rest under shade of the old oak tree beside his house. As fall comes, the air is starting to get a little colder and winter clothes are also placed in the closet. At snow it was covered up to knees outside – but thankfully the house was elevated, so the only work he had to do was to dig up his way when he will hunt and gather woods to build fire. Then there’s spring – flowers blooming, trees starting to grow new leaves and cold breeze starting to get warm- signaling fresh and anew start. And every first day of spring, he always goes to a special place.

There was one meadow inside the forest that is memorable to him, for it was the place where the most important decision on his life was made. Memories, good and bad, are always hunting and hurting his mind in this time of the year, but it was also those memories that tell him to keep going.

Memories that he doesn’t expect to come back.

“What are you doing here?”

Sungmin restrained himself from running towards the man and suffocate him with a hug. “I.. I just.. Kyuhyun-“

“Don’t call my name.” Tears started spilling from his eyes. Biting his lips, he took wary steps and when he was just in front of the other, caressed his cheeks slowly. He hiccupped, and then he pulled Sungmin by his waist and hugged him tight.

Hearing Kyuhyun’s cry of longing, Sungmin knew, that it was the right choice going back home.

“You can call my name now.”

They both laughed with tears on their faces.

 

Hyukjae stared at the intertwined hands. They were in front of the palace bidding each other goodbyes. Since his mother is still sick and resting, his parents chose to let Kyuhyun and Sungmin accompany him to the palace, where, they were greeted by the palace guards especially Kyuhyun.

“Sungmin hyung is Mrs. Pumpkins?”

Sungmin smiled brightly as he pulled Hyukjae for a hug. Kyuhyun too, gave him a bone-crashing hug, where Hyukjae was heaving breaths as he was released. The man apologized, quite awkwardly. Sungmin giggled and held his petite hands as they slowly walked towards the gate. As they get a glimpse of Shindong’s figure, Hyukjae grins and bid another goodbye to the two as he ran towards the servant.

“Hyukjae!”

The boy turned around and found Sungmin walking to him. “Yes, hyung?”

“I will tell you a secret.” Extremely curious, the little boy leaned closer. “There is a secret door inside your room, at the back of the bookshelf. That door navigates from the servants’ dining room, the lecture hall, the library and the stairs to the rooftop.”

“Cool! But why is it there?”

“I don’t know, but the previous occupant told me to tell to the next user of the room to pass this information to the next. He said it’s been told by the previous occupant too. But since I’m not really into mysteries and that matter, I will let you find out why there was a secret passage. Would you do it?”

“Yes!”

 


Comments are highly appreciated! ^^