Sleep-deprived

Incidental Connection, Detrimental Consequences

It has been 3 days since Jessica’s visit to Yuri’s clinic. In these 3 days, Jessica could not fall asleep, without taking the sleeping pills. She even increased her dosage to the extent that Yoona got really worried for her health.  Without Jessica’s knowledge, Yoona secretly changed her sleeping pills to some vitamin she took from the hospital.

“Morning Sica.” Yoona greeted Jessica when she saw her walking out of her bedroom.

“Morning Yoong. You making breakfast?”

“Yes. Your favourite American breakfast.” Yoona beamed the sweetest smile.

“Does smell good. Do you not need to go to hospital today?”

“Yes, only one surgery today in the late afternoon.”

Jessica sat down at the dining table, waiting for breakfast to be served. Once finished, Yoona brought two plates of scrumptious breakfast to the dining table and sat down opposite Jessica.

“Sica, you look terrible. Did you sleep?”

“I tried. Those sleeping pills are not working anymore. Yoong, do you know any stronger pills?”

“You know I don’t like you taking them.”

“Fine. I will ask the pharmacist.”

Yoona was hurt by Jessica’s nonchalant behavior. The breakfast continued in silence. Before Yoona left the house, Jessica stopped her. “Yoong, please don’t be mad. I am just a little grumpy due to lack of sleep.” Jessica took a scarf and wrapped around Yoona’s neck. “Keep warm, a doctor can fall sick too.”

“I’m not mad. Thank you, Sica. I’ll get going. I told Mrs Tae to come over later to clean the house and make you some lunch. Try to get some sleep in the meantime. Without the pills.”

Jessica smiled. She loved the way her best friend takes care of her. “Yes, Dr.”

After seeing Yoona walked out of their apartment, Jessica tried to get some eye-shut but even with the pills, she could not fall asleep. Out of nowhere, she remembered the paintings on Yuri’s office wall and something in her heart told her that she has to see that painting again. Although reluctant to see a shrink again, Jessica nevertheless headed to Yuri’s clinic.

Sunny was staring intensely at her computer screen when Jessica walked into the clinic. Jessica slowly approached the receptionist and cleared to catch her attention. Sunny jumped up , hearing noises.

“WOAH!! Don’t you have some courtesy to at least knock or something?” Sunny shouted.

“Excuse me, your door was freaking making a lot of noises already when I stepped in. You did not even pay attention to customers walking in.”

“I was… I was…” Sunny stuttered as she knew it was somehow her fault for not noticing Jessica. Just then Yuri walked out of her room.

“What is happening?” Yuri asked Sunny. Before she continued, she saw Jessica.

“Oh, hi there, Miss Jessica. I was not expecting to see you this soon. Sunny, can you grab us each a cup of coffee?”

Sunny nodded her head and proceeded to prepare the coffee.

“Miss Jessica, please come in with me.”

Jessica followed Yuri into her consultation room. Once stepped into the room, she felt at ease for a reason she could never tell.  Jessica made herself comfortable on one of the poolside benches.

“Are you here to answer my previous question?”

Jessica looked at Yuri with a confused expression. “What question? I just happened to walk past this place so I thought I would drop by.”

“Sure. So what’s your answer?”

“I do not even remember what question that was. Would you like to refresh my memory?” Jessica said without looking at Yuri. She was staring at the artificial garden. Just then Sunny came into the room with two cups of coffee.

“Thank you, Sunny.” Yuri gave Sunny her most charming smile. Sunny smirked and made a slit throat gestured.

Jessica unconsciously took the cup and sipped the coffee.

“Last time, I asked how was the coffee.” Yuri took a sip from her coffee cup as well while sitting behind her desk, secretly making observations of Jessica.

“Sweet. Anyway, you do not have to entertain me.”

“Right. I still charge, just so you know.” Yuri fully understood Jessica’s intention. As she had observed Jessica during their first meeting, Jessica had troubles falling asleep. Only in a place where nothing cares or worries her, she can ‘let go’ and catch up with the much needed sleep.

Jessica shot a glare at Yuri who pretended not to care about her. Not long after that, Jessica fell asleep. Yuri walked towards Jessica with a blanket to cover her. Yuri sat down beside Jessica. “Sometimes you just need to let go. You are not alone in this world. Let us help you.”

After 2 hours, Jessica woke up and realized that she was alone in the room. She looked around and saw a note beside her coffee cup.

Had a good sleep? I am attending to others in another room. If you wish to sleep longer, please feel free to do so. Remember, I charge. :P”

Jessica rolled her eyes at the note. Somehow, she felt warmth and serene in the room. She sat there a little longer, enjoying the cup of hot coffee. The coffee which Yuri asked Sunny to replace before attending to another patient.

When Jessica studied the paintings in the room, Yuri returned to the room. “Hi, I see you are awake. How’s your sleep?”

“Are these painted by you?”

“You are not used to answering questions, are you?”

“I had a good sleep.”

“There you go, some improvement. Erm, the two on your right were painted by me. Do you want to buy them? I can give you a good price.”

Jessica turned to look at Yuri and chuckled. “1 dollar.”

“More improvement there. This is the first time I see you smiling. Deal! I shall set-off my charges and you may take the painting with you.”

Both of them giggled at their sarcasm. Yuri was glad that Jessica was warming up towards her. It would definitely make it easier for her to get Jessica to open up about her problems.

Once Jessica left Yuri’s office, Yuri immediately punched some numbers on her phone. When the person on the other line picked up after a few rings, Yuri excitedly murmured nonsense.

“Baby, are you okay?”

“YES YES!! You will be so proud of me, Tiffany!”

“What is making my baby so excited?”

“The person you asked me to meet came back today. I made her smile! I think I am making progress here.”

Tiffany smiled, hearing her wife talking nonsense. “Hey, you KWON YURI. Are you flirting with your patient? I asked you to help her not to flirt with her.” Tiffany pretended to be jealous.

“Oops. Baby, I meant that Jessica is willing to talk to me now. Didn’t you want me to help her?”

“Yes, but there’s a limit to it. You get me?”

“Aye aye. Are you knocking off soon? I will pick you in 30 minutes.”

“Okay, see you. Love you.”

“Love you too.”