Respective Lives

Incidental Connection, Detrimental Consequences

Yuri took her mobile and dialed away. The call was answered immediately.

“Hey baby!” Yuri instantly greeted the person on the other end of the line.

“YAH!! You forgot to take the breakfast I prepared!”

“Oops, sorry baby. I was in a rush, I am really sorry.”

“Are you sure about that? Or you just don’t like food I prepared?”

Yuri chuckled. She recalled standing in front of the packed breakfast, struggling to decide whether to take the food or not. When she saw the contents, she made up her mind at that instant and left without taking the food.

“Haha baby, no. Please don’t say that, I was really in a hurry. I woke up late because of you!”

“It’s not my fault that you decide to make me happy all night long.”

“Yeah and you don’t even appreciate it. Hmph!”

The person on the other end giggled. “You know I love you, baby. So what’s the rush today? You do not usually arrange appointment at such early time. Did Sunny make you do it?”

“Nope, not her. It’s you, baby. Remember Jessica Jung?”

“OH!!!! HOW IS SHE?” The person practically shouted at the phone.

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean by you don’t know, Kwon Yuri? You know she is my friend’s friend, can you pay more attention to her?”

“She doesn’t let me, baby but I assure you that I’ll help her. I am a responsible doctor, whether or not she’s your friend’s friend, I will help her. Although I would prefer to pay more attention to you.”

“Sweet talker! Did she say anything though?”

“Not a single word about herself.”

“Hmm.. now I know why my friend is so worried about this Jessica Jung.”

“Now I am worried why you are so concerned about this friend. Do you have anything with this friend?”

“Say that again, Kwon Yuri. I dare you.”

“Hahaha, I know you only love me. I love only you too, baby.”

“Don’t flirt with me, not going to work. Get back to work, Dr. Kwon! Wait, grab something for breakfast please. I don’t want to hear you complaining of gastric.”

“Yes, ma’am. Are you in the hospital already?”

“Yeah. Have to go now. Are you coming back for dinner?”

“No. I have a meeting at your hospital later. Let’s grab dinner after my meeting.”

“Okay.”

“Bye, baby. Love you.”

“Love you too.”

After the meeting, Yuri walked to the nurses’ lounge. She was a frequent visitor hence everyone in the hospital recognized her. When she walked into the lounge, one of the nurses greeted her.

“Dr. Kwon! You are here again.”

“Yes, to see all of you. I miss all of you so much.”

The nurse quickly shook her head. “Not a good move, Dr. Kwon and please do not cause me to be in hot soup.”

Just then, another nurse shouted from nowhere. “KWON YURI!! Stop flirting with my colleagues!!!”

“Told ya, Dr. Kwon.” The nurse stuck her tongue at Yuri. “Now go to your wife before you cause more trouble to us.”

Yuri chuckled and walked to the place where the shout came from. She peeked into the room and backhugged the lady who was typing away. “Baby, are you ready to go?”

“When will you learn to stop flirting?”

“You are not answering me. According to psychology, you are showing signs of jealousy.”

“Spare me with all your psychic knowledge, Dr. Kwon. I am not jealous and you know that.”

Yuri swayed their body together, preventing her wife from completing her work. “I know I know. Come on, baby. Let’s go, I am hungry.”

This made her wife turned around and cupped Yuri’s face. With a dead serious face. “You never take your lunch again, did you? I warn you, Kwon Yuri, do not lie. I can see through all your lies!”

Yuri pouted. “And I thought I am the psychologist here. I did, baby. I am just a growing child who needs more attention and food.” Her wife just rolled her eyes at Yuri. “Okay you better not let me catch you not taking proper meals. Now, where’s my kiss?”

Yuri flashed her brightest smile. She sealed her lips with her wife. “I love you.”

The group of nurses outside began to cheer and shouted, “Awwwwwww.”

“Shut up all of you. Get back to work already.”

Yuri giggled, looking at her bossy wife. “Come on, Head Nurse, really, your wife here is starving. Can we go?”

“Okay okay. Just give me one more minute. Can you get my purse?”

Yuri jumped up from the seat and gladly approached the locker to retrieve her wife’s purse. Her wife just smiled at the cheerful Yuri. Yuri then took her wife’s hand and walked out of the lounge and the nurses bade them goodbye. On their way out, they bumped into one of the doctors. “Hi, Dr. Kwon! Hi, Miss Tiffany.” The handsome doctor greeted Yuri and her wife, Tiffany.

“Hi, Dr. Nickhun.” Yuri politely greeted him back while Tiffany was hitting his shoulder. “Miss Tiffany? Do not pretend to be polite with me, Dr. Nickhun!”

“Ouch!! Can you behave more like a lady like Dr. Kwon? Dr. Kwon, I do not understand how you can marry this tigress?” Hearing that, Tiffany hit him a few more times.

Yuri laughed at their interaction. She never felt jealous because she knew that the two were very close friends and colleagues. Of course, it helped that Tiffany without hesitation announced her marriage to Yuri and would always proudly talk about Yuri at her workplace. Further, no matter what happens, Tiffany would never let go of Yuri’s hand.

“Baby, stop hitting that poor guy already. Dr. Nickhun, would you like to join us for dinner?”

Nickhun pretended to be hurt from all the punches by Tiffany. “No, I think I need to go to A&E to get my injuries treated.”

“Yes, I think you should. Go before I send you to the coroner’s department!”

Nickhun then ran away. “Bye, Dr. Kwon! See you!”

Yuri and Tiffany married 2 years ago. Their marriage was not a legal one that was enforceable under the laws of South Korea but it did not matter to them or to anyone. They were the perfect couple. There were people who would dismiss their relationship and would look at them differently. They did not care about these people because they have each other and their families and friends who were very supportive towards them. It was not an easy journey for Yuri and Tiffany to reach where they were, therefore they appreciated and enjoyed every single moment and opportunity.

At dinner, Tiffany asked about Jessica’s condition again.

“How is Jessica?”

“From the 10 minutes conversation I had with her, I think her condition is manageable. Why are you so interested in her though?”

“She’s a friend of a doctor in our hospital. She’s really worried about this Jessica so I expect her condition to be quite bad. What do you think, will she be okay?”

“Honestly, I do not know how to tell you, baby. First it’s confidential, everything must be kept between the doctor and patient, remember. Even if it’s not confidential, I really cannot tell from the 10 minutes conversation.”

“Okay, do your best to help her.” Tiffany showed her eye-smile while taking another bite of the crème brulee. “Baby, can you give me a massage again tonight?”

“Noooooo, can I not? After last night, I lost all my energy already.”

Tiffany showed her puppy eyes. “Pretty pleaseeeee….”

Yuri could never withstand her wife’s cuteness. “Alright but just 10 minutes.”

“Yay!! Thanks, baby.” Tiffany pulled Yuri and kissed her on her lips.

On the other side of the city, Jessica was sitting on her couch in her apartment. She was just staring outside the window when another person entered the apartment.

“Sica, you home?” The person switched on the lights and was shocked to see Jessica sitting in the dark. She approached Jessica and tapped her shoulder. “Sica, are you okay?”

Jessica turned around with soulless eyes. “Yoong, you are back. I am okay.”

“Have you eaten dinner, Sica? I bought us some kimbap.”

“Thanks, Yoong but I have no appetite.”

“Just eat a little. It’s your favourite tuna kimbap.”

Jessica forced a smile and nodded. She ate three pieces and left the dining table. Yoona could only sigh. She was feeling helpless and restless because she did not know how to help Jessica.

“Sica, did you see Dr. Kwon today?”

“Speaking of her, where did you get her contact? She’s just…” Jessica stopped.

Yoona was waiting for her to finish. “Just..  what?”

“I cannot even find words to describe her. So where did you get to know her?”

“I got her contact from my colleague. I was told that she’s quite good in this area.”

Jessica rolled her eyes, remembering her unproductive session with Yuri. “Yeah I am sure.” She said sarcastically. Jessica thought to herself *That is because that doctor needs to see a psychologist too.*

“Will you see her again?”

“No.”

“Why not, Sica? You should at least try.”

“No, Yoong. I don’t understand why you keep asking to me seek consultation. I am perfectly fine. I do not want to see any more psychics, you get me?”

Yoona approached Jessica and looked directly into Jessica’s eyes. “Sica, you know I am worried about you. I just want to help you.”

“I don’t need your help. I’ve already listened to you and saw the multiple useless psychics.”

Yoona hung her head low and sat down at the couch. Jessica felt bad, seeing Yoona like this. She sat beside Yoona and placed her hand on top of Yoona’s. “Yoong, I know you are very good friend. I really appreciate it but just leave me alone, okay. I’ll be fine.”

Yoona looked at Jessica lovingly. *Sica, you are not fine. I can never help you, can I?*

“I am going to shower and rest. Yoong, you should rest early too. You have early surgery tomorrow, right?”

“Yeah I will. Goodnight, Sica.” Jessica entered her own room and never left.

Before Yoona went to bed, she checked on Jessica. She always did that to make sure nothing happened to Jessica. Every night, she would enter Jessica’s room to make sure Jessica had covers over her. Yoona sat down on the bed and looked at the bedside table. Like every other night, she would see sleeping pills and a glass of water. Yoona gently caress Jessica’s hair.

“Sica, when will you recover? My heart aches every time I see you in this state. Why don’t you give me a chance to heal you? You’ll forever see me as your childhood friend, no?” Yoona forced a smile. “Thank you for letting me stay by your side.” Yoona pecked Jessica’s forehead and left the room.