The Yellow Umbrella

It's raining love

It was a cool october wednesday afternoon and it was pouring outside. The colorful leaves of autumn seemed to be losing its beauty, slouching under the thick drops of water. The already boring math class was even moodier and quiet as I could hear every single raindrop hitting the windows. All of us sat in our seats silently scribbling down formulas as the minutes ticked by. Eventually, the short arm touched the 3, sending the whole school into chaos in an instant. 
I quickly stuffed my textbook and my pencil case in my bag. I had my yellow umbrella in my hand. I walked out of the classroom to my locker. I put on my raincoat, swung my bag back over my shoulder, and got ready to open my umbrella as soon as I got outside. 
Some were running with their homework over their heads as protectors and some got a drive from their parents. I took time to walk home. 
As I entered the apartment property, I jumped over little puddles, making a little game for myself, until I saw a pair of shoes within the ten foot radius. I looked up. Through the harsh rainfall, I saw a figure. I squinted. There was a tall man standing outside in the pouring rain. He was soaking wet from head to toe, but he just stood there, motionless. I walked towards him to get a better look. 
Suddenly, our eyes met. I couldn't stop staring back at his deep brown eyes. His lips formed a small smile.
"I..I.." He was Chanyeol Park. He was a senior in my highschool. I've never talked to him or seen him this closely partly because I was a sophomore and mostly because he was a quarterback with a super hot volleyball captain as his girl friend. 
I decided that today was not the right day to have a conversation with Chanyeol Park the quarterback. 
"Bye..." I mumbled and turned away. My face started to flush for no particular reason. I held my breath during the whole elevator ride up to my house floor. I finally took in a deep breath when I unlocked the front door and shut it behind me. 
"God that was so weirddddd...why is he doing here anyway?"
I kicked my wet sneakers off and peeled my smelly clammy socks on my way to the living room. I peered out the floor to ceiling window to see what Chanyeol was doing. He was at the same spot in the same pose. I kind of felt bad for him even though I didn't even know why he was standing in the rain. 
I sighed as I stomped back to the front door. I slipped my feet in my dad's three sizes to big slippers and grabbed my yellow umbrella. I headed downstairs and exited the lobby. I opened my umbrella and dragged my slippeds towards Chanyeol. 
"Are you waiting for someone?" I asked him.
He looked genuinely surprised by my sudden presence.
"Uh yeah. I'm here to see my girlfriend but she refuses to see me so here I am."
"Did you guys have an argument?" I felt so nosy.
"Uh huh. I tried to break up with her last week and she now refuses to go to school or talk to me."
"Here." I handed him my umbrella. I could immediately feel my hair and my clothes getting wet but I didn't care, "You'll end up in the hospital before you even get to see your girlfriend."
"I can't take this. I don't need it." He tilted the umbrella towards me.
"Whatever. Good luck!" I ran away from him before he could give it back to me.
                                      ***
The next day went by normally. I soon lost interest in Chanyeol and my umbrella. At lunch, I went to the cafeteria with my friends. As I was scarfing down what was on my plate, I heard people murmuring and whispering. The whole atmosphere changed instantly. I looked up from my plate. There stood Chanyeol, still is his practice jersey, perfectly y as usual. The thing was, the seniors never used the cafeteria. And out of all the seniors, the number one guy who all girls would die for, showed up in his cute practice jersey. No wonder everyone was silent. 
I froze in my spot as I saw him looking straight at me. He slowly made his way to my table. He had a yellow umbrella in his hand.
"Here's your umbrella. Thanks for letting me borrow it yesterday."
"Did you get to see your girlfriend?" I asked.
He shook his head.
"Then Keep it. It's supposed to rain again this afternoon. I have another one in my locker so It's okay."
"Haha, I don't think I'm gonna wait for her to talk to me anymore. But I'll use it, just in case." He smiled at me and walked away. 
"OMG I didn't know you talked to Chanyeol?!" My friends pulled on my arms for details.
"I don't know him that well. I just let him borrow my umbrella yesterday. That's all." 
                                        ***
When school was over I headed home without my umbrella because the sky decided that today wasn't going to be rainy anymore. There were still dark grey clouds scattered all over the place but at least it didn't rain. As I turned around the corner of my street to my apartment, I saw a bright yellow umbrella greeting me. Chanyeol was waiting in front of the lobby with my umbrella opened. 
"I see you've lied to me young lady." He smirked.
"And I see you've changed your mind. Still thinking about your girl friend?" I teased.
"Actually yes. Well my soon to be girlfriend to be exact." He walked towards me.
"What are you ta-" before I could finish my sentence, a drop of rain fell on my nose. Then another one landed on my shoulder. Before I got any wetter, Chanyeol put the umbrella over us. His bent his knees to my level. His face was inches away from mine. 
"I'm talking about you." He gently kissed me on my lips. My face became red. He smiled. He placed his lips on mine and caressed my lips. I eagerly kissed him back.
Chanyeol lowered the umbrella and dropped it on the ground. He cupped my face with both of his hands and I wrapped my arms around his neck. We kissed away as we got soaked in the rain full of love.