nine

The Fallen Angel

-Kyungsoo POV-

I never liked him. He always wanted to be better than I. Although he acted all innocent about it, he and I competed at everything. If I wanted to be the lead in the play he auditioned and got the part.

Even know as adults we still fight for power. He always had to outshine me. If I received the newest model car or phone, he always had the unreleased next copy of mine.

He was older than I and he was my sunbaenim since we were heirs of our father’s company, and we have gone to the same school since forever, I was always in his shadow.

“Kyungsoo-ah what do you think?” My mother interrupted my trance. “What do you think about Baek Hyun-ssi?”

Do tell her that he is my enemy. That I hated him. “Well I don’t know him really well”

“That’s true but don’t you think he would be the best fit for your sister Eun Ji?”

“Doesn’t she love Kai?”

“Jong In? He is a good boy, but he is not the right kind of guy for her”

“You know Eun Ji just as much as I do, and you know how extremely stubborn she can be,  what makes you think that she will leave Kai for Baekhyun?”

“This isn’t about what she wants.” She paused as if it pained her to say it. “Her marriage with Baek Hyun-ssi will benefit the company which will also benefit you. I know that I won’t be here forever to protect you two, so I want to ensure that the both of you are happy”

“What does dad think?”

“He was the first to approve”

“Really? Dad is never the first to approve”

“At first he wasn’t going to ask straight forward, but CEO Byun invited him and I to dinner. They possibly also had the intention of asking us at the dinner too. The conversation causally turned into talk about marriage. Lets just say that both parties had the intention to have our children marry.”

“Wait so you have already decided to marry Eun Ji off to Baekhyun?”

“Yes.”

“Why him? Did you even consider Park Chan Yeol, Huang Zi Tao, Kim Jong Dae, Lu Han, Kim Joon Myun, or Kim Min Seok?”

“Yes your father and I considered all of them. But Minseok and Joon Myun are already engaged. Luhan, no offense, but I think he might be associated with a gang. There has been talk about him. Jong Dae is a detective he could be beneficial, but his parents already have some one already in mind for him. As sweet as Chanyeol is, I didn’t think him he has the ability to run a successful business. Therefore, Baek hyun was the best fit because he is available. Plus his mother tells me that he has a crush for Eun Ji ever since they were little so I know that he would treat her right.”

“When do you plan to tell Eun Ji?

“Tonight. We are having dinner with them tonight, but I am going to tell her before dinner so she won’t have one of her tantrums.”

“Won’t she run away off to France again?”

“No because once I tell her she will be locked in the house until dinner”

“Mom! Oppa! I’m home!”

“Well good luck mom. I have to go back to the office.” I hugged her and started toward the door.

“Oppa” I ignored her. “What’s his problem?”

It pained me to hear her because it wasn’t my problem but hers that hurt me. I was at the door when I heard her cry,

“WHAT?!”

echoing throughout the house. I heard her running upstairs. I didn’t want to hear anymore so I left before it got worse.

On my way to the office I kept thinking about the thought of Baek Hyun marrying Eun Ji. Of all the people in the world, it had to be the person I hated the most.

When I arrived at the office I saw Kai waiting outside. He looked upset, he must have heard the news already.

“How are you Kai?”

“Me? Just fine. How did she take it. Wait don’t tell me I don't want to know.”

“You already knew?”

“Yes. Your mother came to me last night”

“And you didn’t tell me?”

“She asked not to tell anyone”

“And you’re just going to let her go just like that? I thought you loved her?”

“I do but that’s why I have to let her go”

“Have strength Kai. Is my 2 o’clock here?”

“Nope they said they will be running a little late. Should I reschedule?”

“No, they are very important. If we sign with them we can launch our company around the world.”

“That’s great and maybe I can become a president at one of the other offices”

“Where would you like to go? Las Vegas? New York City? Los Angeles?”

He laughed at me, but I was being serious. Kai has always been like a little brother to me and he is my best friend. I remember that he used to hate me when I first met him when he was four years old and moved into my house with his mother.

But look at us know, we are inseparable. I wasn’t even angry when he told me that he liked my sister. In fact, I silently shipped them together.

“CEO Do. Mr. Robertson just called to cancel his 2 o’clock meeting with you”

“What? Why?”

“He said he already found his business partner”

“Who?”

“He didn’t say”

“Thank you Tae Young”

I walked into my office trying to think about what to do. Who would steal my partner? I was walking in circles when it hit me. For sure I thought it was Baek Hyun. He must have heard that I wanted to expand with Mr. Robertson. My dad was going to kill me when he finds out that I didn’t make the deal.

Why does everything have to be ing ruined by Baek Hyun! Sometimes I just want to kill him. That’s when it hit me. Maybe I should.

Not me but send someone else to do it for me. Yes a hitman. But where will I find someone desperate enough to kill for money?

“Kai do I have anything else planned for today”

“You have a meeting with EXO’s music company something about wanting an endorsement contract.”

“EXO? That boy group with 13 members?”

“12 but yes them”

“Tell them that I will have to reschedule”

“Yes hyung”

I walked out of my office to my car. I told Kai and Tae Young to have the rest of the day off. Then I headed home. Thinking about my idea.

When I got home I saw men in black suits all over the house. I saw my mom sitting in the living room. I walked pass her and I walk upstairs. I look down the hall to see two really big guys blocking her door.

When I appraoched them they didn’t move.

“May I see my sister”

“None shall enter”

“But I just have to tell her something”

“None shall enter”

“Let him go. She won’t be leaving anyway” my mother said from behind me.

The men moved aside and opened the doors. I walked into the dark room. As I entered, I heard weeping. Then the doors slammed shut behind me.

I the lights to see Eun Ji crying in the corner. I walked toward her. She looked up at me with her red puffy eyes. She pulled me down and starred hitting me. “You knew before I and you didn’t tell me. I could have ran away if you told me earlier! I could be on a plane to Paris right now! I hate you!”

“Kai knew too. He knew about it last night”

“What?”

She only continued to cry. I got up and her stereo to play the song she listened to whenever she wanted to cry. I was surprised that it wasn’t playing before I came.

I walked back to her and pulled her into her bathroom. I looked her right in the eye. “Eun Ji will you ever love Baekhyun?”

“What kind of question is that?”

“Just answer yes or no”

“No. My heart belongs to Kai”

“Okay I am about to suggest something so absurd that you might hate me”

She had a puzzled look on her face but she encouraged me to continue.

“I want to kill Baekhyun”

“What?”

“I known that it is crazy but today he stole my deal that would have been the best thing.”

She only looked me me then she started laughing, “what’s so funny”

“Because Kai said the same thing. He said that he was willing to kill Baekhyun and that I shouldn’t cry over it because he will fix it so we will end up together”

I laughed with her. We left the bathroom. My mom entered and turned off the stereo. “Okay Eun Ji you might hate me but you are going to that dinner tonight whether you like it or not”

“Okay mom”

She was taken aback by her sudden agreement. She left but before she left she mouthed a “Thank you” to me.

“Okay Eun Ji don’t worry about it. Go to that dinner and just fake it. I’ll meet up with kai and start planning it.”

“I am so thankful to have two amazing oppa watching over me”

“Wait a minute, if you knew why did you hit me”

“It was part of the act”

“Why you little punk” we laughed and I left her alone.

I walked downstairs to see my mom and dad all dressed in fancy clothing.

“Thank you Kyungie. What did you tell her to make her agree”

“I just told her that she has to get her life together and that Kai already knew about it and didn’t tell her about it. Then I told her Baekhyun’s good qualities and she seemed impressed and wanted to met him”

“You’re such a good son” my dad said as he patted my back.

“Well thank you sweetie” my mom kissed my cheek.

Eun Ji came down the stairs in her short white lace dress with her hair curled. She smiled at me.

“Aw look at my angel. I can’t believe that you will be someone’s bride and later a mother. Where did the time go?”

“Stop dad”

“Well we better get going. Bye Kyungsoo”

“Bye oppa”

“Bye have a good time”

After they left I quickly called Kai. Kai was here within minutes because I guess Eun Ji told him. When Kai arrived we went into my office. I told the staff to leave early as a special gift to them. They didn’t question because I did it often.

“Why didn’t you tell me Kai?”

“I didn’t think you would approve”

“Do you know how much I hate Baek Hyun? Let’s just leave it at unexplainable. Have you thought of any ideas?”

“Well my friend is in a gang and I could ask him if he knows anyone who is willing to do it”

“Okay you ask him. . . Wait isn’t that too obvious? We need to meet him directly.”

“What do you think”

“I am thinking about it. Wait I remember this guy that Luhan banished because he hurt Tao. He has been off the grid for almost two years. He would be perfect. But what was his name Lee Something.”

“Lee Sung Min. I remember him because the other day his mother came to the office to ask if we have seen him.”

“That’s great. Did you get her number or address?”

“I got her number” he reached for his phone when I slapped it out of his hands.

“We can’t leave any traces. If you use your phone you can become a suspect”

“That’s right. I wasn’t thinking”

“It’s okay but we need to be extra careful. Here use this cell phone” I got up to go into my closet. I looked for my box. Once I found it I brought it out.

I set it on the table and dumped everything out. “Ah ha I found it”

“What is it?”

“My old cell phone that I used when I ran away to the states”

“Does it still work?”

“Yes I used a fake identity to obtain it and I have been paying for it since. I knew that it would come in handy some day”

I gave Kai the cellphone and he called the number.

Hello?

Are you Lee Sung Min’s mother?

I am Jang Dong Chang from the Busan Police Department. We have a box that belongs to a Lee Sung Min and we found this number, would you like the box because we can’t contact him

What is your address? Okay we should will deliver the box

“Well that was easy”

“Okay but now we need a box of some of his belongings pabo”

“Just get a box and put things that a little girl would like. He has a daughter.”

“I take that back you are a little genius”

We went to the store and bought some girly toys and a pink teddy bear. We put it in a box and wrapped it. We also included a plane ticket to Paris and a note asking to meet him and not to tell anyone.

- one week later -

“Hyung do you think he will come?”

“I don’t know but if he does we have to wait here for him”

“But it is so cold here. Couldn’t we have told him to meet him at a cafe or something? Ah so cool”

“Just deal with it Kai. Stop being a baby or go inside if you don't want to wait”

“I don’t want to be alone”

We heard foot steps cracking the leaves on the floor. We look in the direction of the sound. A man comes out from the trees. He could have used the drive way.

“Are you Lee Sung Min?”

“Yes”

We saw another man appear behind him “who is he?”

“He is my friend. You don't have to worry about him. He can’t talk. He had his tongue ripped out by someone back home. I brought him just in case this was a trap.”

“Well whatever makes you confortable. Do you know why we asked to met you?”

“I am guessing it is because you want someone dead”

“You guessed right. Come, we have many things to discuss”

He and his friend followed us into the house and Kai got them a cup of tea. We sat down.

***

“Okay so I will do it if you ensure that you will protect my mother and my daughter”

“Whatever they need will be provided for them.”

We shook hands and then we started planning. He was willing to give up his life in order to save his daughter. His daughter was suffering from an serious lung condition and she needed a transplant as soon as possible.

He didn’t have the money and if he did she would be placed at the bottom on the waiting list, but with my help I can pay for her surgery and place her at the top priority.

We planned for Baekhyun to get into a car crash on Paradise Drive a little on the outskirts of Seoul. Eun Ji will be waiting for him at a restaurant that sells her favorite bibimbap.

When we finished planning I gave him a private phone and my number. He got up to leave. “Remember if you fail the deal is off”

“If I fail my daughter will die. My friend will continue until the task is complete. He will also see that you uphold your part. If you don't you will also die.” he turned and left out the door.

“Hyung it is done. The date is set. I can’t believe it”

“Well believe it Kai. Soon Baek Hyun will be gone”

“I can’t wait to tell Eun Ji. Can I tell her now hyung?”

“No we have to tell her in person just in case”

“When are we leaving?”

“Tomorrow morning. Mr. Robertson isn’t going to change his mind”

“He will once Baekhyun is gone”

“Yes he will and when he comes crawling to me I’ll ask for more to teach him a lesson”

“Hyung is so cool”

“Lets go to sleep. We have a lot to do once we get back home”

I watched Kai go to his room. I walked toward my room. As I got into bed I was thinking about Baek Hyun. Finally I will get my justice.

***

- Baekhyun POV -

“We have some news to tell you son”

“What is it dad”

“You know Do Eun Ji?”

“Of course”

“We had dinner with her parents the other day to discuss a marriage between you and her. And they said yes”

I was taken aback because I have be in love with her since we were little. I was beyond excited.

“We are going to have a dinner with her and her parents tonight. If all goes as plan then by next week we are going to announce it officially to the public”

“Really? Wow! I can’t wait”

“Well hurry up son, get dressed. We dont want to be late to me your future wife”

I walked to my room all calm and collected, but as soon as I closed my door I was bouncing off the walls. I was going to marry the love of my life. I jumped on my bed to look out my glass ceiling.

When we arrived to the restaurant I was breath taken to see her in a white lacy dress. She looked like an angel.

We talked the whole night and I saw that Eun Ji was enjoying herself. She must have been happy also. Which also made my heart flutter.

***

- 1 week later -

For the past week Eun Ji has been right next to me. We went everywhere together. Last morning my dad officially announced our engagement to the public. Over night both of our stocks grew by a million won.

Everything was perfect. Nothing could ruin my life.