〈 chapter #2 〉

〈 cardinal - robin entertainment's first boy group 〉 apply closed.
 

chapter TWO

october 2014 + december 2014

They didn't start with a crowd; they started with a few stares, which was to be expected. It wasn't every day you saw a group of young, fairly handsome guys in matching outfits. Jason had bought a boombox with the backing track for You're Impressive; Marcus, as he was available to do so, would be taping the whole thing. Lucas (or "Manpower", as Jiseul had decided to call him) carried chairs for the two songs that would be done acoustically. 

 

"Best get started," muttered Jason. "You guys remember the setlist." 

 

The boys nodded, and sat in the order that Marina had figured would do the best in terms of marketing:  Jayu and Jingu in the center (since they were the ones people were most likely to recognize - they'd draw you in), Jude on Jayu's left and Tae on Jingu's right (the cute ones - totally different vibes of cute, but the cute ones nonetheless), and on the ends, Charlie and Damien (who had far more mature atmospheres about them). Charlie cracked his knuckles and nervously began strumming his guitar - the opening chords of Run

 

Right on cue, the rest of the boys joined in with their...sound effects (Jason said they were howls, but nobody quite believed that). A few people - a couple, and a tall girl with dyed hair - had stopped by then, noticing the performance. The actual singing began with Jayu's line.

 

Anywhere is fine, do you want to leave to night? Wanna leave?

 

Damien continued, a smile spreading on his face: 

To a place with a blue sky and lots of stars, a place like that, a place like that.

 

The entire group was getting into it, with their e-yo e-yos and and the brief rap section leading to the chorus. The fact that they were being watched by a crowd that was growing slowly yet steadily was  not the top priority. First and foremostly, they were performing.

 

Run ended, and the crowd of three and staff had grown to at least 15 and staff, all of which who were applauding. Even Marina seemed pleased.  Charlie recalled his own days busking - he'd never got that big of a crowd, had he? He shook his head as the applause died down, focusing in on what was actually happening.

 

"We're going to slow things down a bit for this next one," Jayu said, causing a small whoop from the crowd. Charlie nodded and began strumming the first few notes of Fixed Star.

 

There must be some things that I can't do,
like forgetting you
I gave you too much of my heart
so much that it's almost pathetic...
The crowd increased even more with the mini-album's ballad. Marina and Jason exchanged a look; his said "WE'RE DOING THIS, MARINA, LOOK AT THIS", while Marina's said "Of course. They're my babies, after all." 
 
"For this last song, we're going to need you all to step back a little bit," Jingu said, purposely injecting a slightly flirty tone in his voice. Some of the girls in the crowd definitely swooned; Jingu chuckled. "This is the title track of our first mini-album, You're Impressive."
 
The crowd did as they were told and stepped back a few feet; Jude, who was standing closest to the stereo, quickly turned it on before moving it back into its place. "You guys ready?" asked Seungtae as the music started; "Here we go!" 
You completely disarmed me
I think I'm losing control
There's no way something this sweet can be bad for you
I want to love you....

 
The choreographed song ended, and with that, the crowd, to put it simply, went wild. It wasn't a sold-out arena full of screaming girls or anything, but it might as well have been. The boys bowed. "Our CDs are available for purchase right here, and if you want, we can sign them, too!" Jude said cheerfully, gesturing towards the box. "Thank you so much for coming out here."
 
"We are Cardinal!" said the boys in unison, bowing. The crowd applauded again, and some of them went in line to buy CDs.
 
Jason turned to Marina and smiled. "Did you know they were going to be so good? Or - or is this one of those things where everyone knows it except me?"
 
"It's exactly one of those things where everyone knew it except you," replied Marina, though she was smiling too. Marcus, looking at the two, resisted the urge to yell "get a room". 

Not everyone was drunk. Most of the small karaoke room - the fact that it could fit all twelve of them was a miracle - was  tipsy at least, but Marina, Jihee and Marcus had made the wise descision not to drink. Everyone else, not so much.

Taekyung was belting something out - he might've been slurring his words, but he wouldn't miss the chance to show off in a million years. Whatever he was singing had brought a tear to Jason's eye. Mingu was - was attempting to court Jihee, much to her bemusement. "Noona," he said, waggling his eyebrows half-suggestively, "You know I have lotsa Instagram followers?" 

"I'm sure you do," she replied with a smile.

Charlie had been pouting in the corner since the beginning of the night, upset that the karaoke machine contained no Ed Sheeran. Jayu was furiously texting someone - though he took the time to drink water and pace himself, unlike the rest of the group, who would definitely have huge hangovers later. And Jeonghan -

Jeonghan was making an attempt to read Jayu's phone screen. The buzzing atmposphere of the small karaoke room meant that nobody noticed him leaning over Jayu's shoulder. It looked a lot like the name on the phone was Bae Joohyun - and there could only be so many Bae Joohyun's. The guy was an ex SM trainee, anyways. Of course there were friends. Maybe it was the drinking catching up with him, but something in Jeonghan twisted tightly and uncomfortably.

"Guys guys guys," said Jason, after Taekyung was done singing his heart out. "Guys, we have to - we have to toast. Whose birthday is it? Mine! I'm 28!" he declared, leading the room to erupt in cheers.

"We're also here celebrating the birthdays of Jiseul and Seungie, so yay!" Jason added. He then promptly sat back down and continued to nurse his fourth beer.

"How bad will his hangover be in the morning?" Marcus asked, smirking lightly.

"You're the one who's going to have to live through it," replied Marina. Jihee laughed.


To: joohyun!
but yeah, it's junghwan's friend who i'm in a group with ^^ 
From: joohyun!
small world, huh? well tell him i said hi & get some rest!!!! you'll need it to deal with those hungover friends of yours
to: joohyun!
and management. #whyisthismylife

 

authors note

Song Of The Chapter: The 88 - At Least It Was Here

 

Chapter two has arrived! I'm sorry it's so late and short. Whoever thought putting me in an advanced US History class should be fired. National History Day is so ridiculously time consuming. (Though my project did make it to the regional competition! Woohoo.) But it's finally here. From now on, I'm not going to be deadlining myself on chapters...they'll come out when they're done. I still hate this chapter layout. In story news: the girl group's fic is up, if you're interested, and I'm currently working on color coding songs for both groups. Still looking around for a layout that'll let me revamp all this so the chapters aren't so weird-looking.

 

Today's GIF is of Ezekiel Jones from The Librarians (hell yes, season 2!) , who is the best. I started watching because I thought the actor was cute; it spiraled from there. He's Aussie (if you know anything about my music taste at this point, you know how many bonus points that gets), he watches Doctor Who and Star Trek, and is just generally a little , which I can appreciate. But I digress. 

 

Leader poll is right here. More votes appreciated. 

 

-Beth