〈 teaser #4 〉

〈 cardinal - robin entertainment's first boy group 〉 apply closed.
at 

teaser four

april 2013 and june 2013

Though it was ridiculously early in the morning, Charlie was awake; his phone lit up with two text messages reminding him that yes, today was the day.

 

From: Jenna Han 

it's your big day!!!! i mean technically it's just a move, but you're going to slay no matter what so like okay!!! have a safe flight!!!

 

From: Natalie Choi > ur favs including ed sheeran ehe

get your out of bed now ^__^

 

From: Natalie Choi > ur favs including ed sheeran ehe

do you have any idea how serious i am get your out of bed, charlie. you are not out of bed, i know u

 

Sometimes, he wondered how the most important people in his life could be so different.

 

Jenna was his younger sister by about a year - his first younger sibling, technically, though as he didn't remember her birth, he didn't think of her as such. Natalie was his cousin - the only child of his widowed aunt, who was born just a few days before Charlie was. The three were inseperable as kids, and though they had different interests branching off into adulthood, they never stopped talking. Though time zones made things hard - with Jenna studying medicine in Wales and Natalieattempting to get a law degree in New Mexico - they'd still find time to Skype with each other. And, occasionally, text each other. 

 

Regardless, Charlie dragged himself out of bed - a whole two hours before he'd even have to think about leaving for the airport - and dressed himself in his usual hoodie and jeans. Today was the day. He'd packed up as discreetly as he could (his parents were still convinced he'd be finishing a Masters degree in something more practical than music - which, ha, no) and bought the tickets with money raised by a combination of busking and his crappy, terrible cafeteria job. 

 

He didn't want to leave Alex (14 years old, first younger brother - soccer star who had more girlfriends in his freshman year than Charlie had ever had, ever) or Brian (11 years old, second younger brother - quiet, moody punk kid with a room covered in band posters) alone. He'd helped take care of them for so long - the only reason his dad had ever bought The Guitar was because he figured it'd distract Charlie from trying to be a dad. 

 

But being alone would be nice, too. 20 years, soon to be 21, living with his big old family...maybe some alone time would be nice. 

 

(Though that didn't stop him from carefully checking on his brothers one last time, just to make sure they were okay.)


Two months later, he still wasn't used to the alone time.

 

He still texted Jenna and Natalie almost constantly. (Or, rather, they texted him constantly.) His parents weren't exactly keen on him keeping in contact with Brian and Alex, but they managed through careful use of KakaoTalk.

 

Charlie had found a flat that would immediately become way too small if he dared unpack his bags; the room he had to play guitar would have to be enough  until he could afford a new place, which would probably be never. The tinyness of the apartment seemed to reinforce the fact that nobody was blasting Pierce The Veil or yelling at a soccer game on TV.

 

Not to mention he'd gone exactly back to his college days, though this time with an added bonus of slightly stilted Korean. Barely being a Subway cashier by day, busking by night. The one that he was decent at didn't make a ton of money, and the one he was often confused made the majority of his money. 

 

Things were not wonderful. Two months in to what Natalie liked calling "Lil Charlie's epic journey of self discovery", and he was already thinking about turning straight back around.

 

But he didn't. Not that night. That night, he picked up his guitar and headed straight for the free park to see if he could make some money singing out his feelings. People would pay for emotional vocals, right? Yes? Perhaps?

 

It wasn't like he had anyone to talk to about it, anyways.


His audience wasn't huge. It never was. People dropped spare change into his guitar case and walked by - a typical night. Charlie figured he'd just pack up early - after his last song, of course. His favorite. The one that revealed him as the world's biggest Ed Sheeran fanboy.

 

Do you ever wonder if the stars shine out for you?

Float down

like autumn leaves.

Hush now, 

close your eyes before the sleep.

And you're miles away

and yesterday you were here with me.

 

He usually didn't let himself be that raw, unless he was singing. Maybe that's why he didn't notice the applause - applause coming from two hands, but applause nonetheless - until the song was over. His audience consisted of a woman a few years older than he was, and her slightly disgruntled looking male companion.

 

"My name is Marina Yoon." She dug around in her coat pockets, looking around until she found it - her business card. "I'm the CEO o a small entertainment company. If you're interested in pursuing music as a career, please call this number."

 

"Actually, call it anyway. I'm Jason, and I'm the other CEO," added her companion with a shrug. "We're struggling. We need talent. Like you."

 

"Um," Charlie replied, taking the business card. 

 

"When she says small, she means, like -"

 

"She means that Jason's going to be quiet now," Marina said, shooting Jason a look. He did so immediately.

 

"Um," said Charlie again, "My name's Charlie Han. I'll give you guys a call later, so..."

 

"Good!" Marina said, whose hostile look for Jason was immediately replaced with a wide smile. "Hope to see you soon!"

 

"Yep," Jason replied, nodding. "Later."

 

Charlie looked down at the card in his hand, and then towards the retreating backs of the odd couple he'd just witnessed. (Were they even a couple?) He found himself breaking into a smile, oddly pleased at the turn of events.

 

He could hardly wait to tell Jenna and Natalie. 

 

authors note

Big Hero 6 gif because Ryan Potter can actually act - I only knew him from the crappy Nickelodeon show he was on, so this is a big change and a welcome one - and maybe he's short, but I'm shorter. I think I'm in love. Also, Jenna is in Wales because Welsh people are cool and I'm not biased.

 

Charlie's scouting actually happens before the crew finds Jihee. Depending on who gets chosen, the entire lineup of Cardinal might exist before Jihee gets found. Anyway, this is a peek into Charlie's life, since I ended up way too lazy to finish his app. Also, scouting. I'm into scouting.

 

Yeah, so...this is probably going to be the last thing posted before the member reveals. I don't know how I want to do those yet, but I hope you enjoy Charlie in the meantime. 

 

Anyone know any good chapter layouts?

 

Nah, I'm kidding. Enjoy the BH6 gif, and if you haven't seen it, see the comment about Scott Pilgrim in Teaser #3. 

 

-Beth