Chapter 9

Take me home

Mid-October. Wind chased leaves around the streets , and both Siwon and Jeong had a day off. Jeong was humming a tune to himself as the two walked through Insa-dong.  It was easy to get from Insa-dong to Gwanghwamun, where the statues of King Sejong and General Yi Sun-shin looked down on every bypasser. But as today was a day for loitering about, Siwon didn't feel like visiting the plaza. Instead he and Jeong swerved through neighbourhood's narrow , winding streets. 

While Siwon surveyed a box of handicrafts in front of a store, Jeong talked to several shop owners. Insa-dong was known for keeping in touch with the old ways, every shop name written in Hangul and Hangul only.  Siwon fidgedted at the zipper of a pencil case and shrugged. 'Whatcha thinking of ?'  Jeong asked, seemingly out of nowhere.

'Er, nothing' Siwon replied absentmindedly .  In truth he had been playing with the thought of getting the young master a small gift .  It had sounded absurd from the get-go , but still.  Jeong guessed his thoughts. 'What to buy a young man whose family fortune can afford him everything, eh?'  

'Hm. Yeah. Maybe this isn't such a good idea.' Siwon put the pencil case back, drawing an irritated glance from the store owner, who for some reason or the other was standing around outside. They walked on as the cold wind beat around them.  Siwon's thoughts drifted to Kyung, and what on earth could have made her so bitter. He pondered asking Jeong about her for a a moment, then decided he would. 'Could you tell me a little about Kyung? Why is she so...such...?'

'A nasty old hag? Well, Kyung was young too, you know. She watched Master Kyuhyun grow up from a scared little boy to the dignified young man he is now' . Initially, Siwon could have hardly imagined the master as a young boy, but after what he'd witnessed at the  dinner he'd had to question at least some of the ideas he had about his master. He wasn't as stoic as he liked to make people believe , for one. There was definitely something boiling beneath the cold armour.  Siwon resolved on the spot to find out what it could be. 

-----

The autumn gala was held at the new Seoul City Hall, an odd glass-like contraption that was supposed to put the old colonial-style buidling to shame, but ended up being just a hypermodern-looking building dumped smack in the middle of nowhere.  It was rumoured that TY corporation, being one of the major sponsors of the new building, had pressed the construction company to demolish the old one as fast as possible, since the Chos couldn't stand the sight of the two contrasting, one rooted in the past and the other reaching toward the future.  For the occassion the entire space was decked out in shades of purple and brown.  Siwon was overwhelmed, not in the least because he chose to avoid such parties when he could.  He couldn't stand the stiffness of it all, the fake formalities that were exchanged. When he was at home at least the people he hung out with in the clubs he visited told him what they wanted from him to his face.  Here, everyone gossiped about everyone except when the topic of their conversation came up to them.

The young master had been irritated all day, even berating his personal servant upon his return at three o'clock exact. 'Couldn't you have come sooner?' Siwon had thought it wise not to talk back and gave only a brief acknowledgement of the accusation, unfair though it was.  

Siwon was suited up and expected to receive an earphone, but when the time had come to leave for the party  he was simply ushered into the car. Just as always he had to follow the young master like a shadow, while a team of other guards walked around to ensure safe conduct. Siwon knew that 'safe' here meant that if someone tried to spread false rumours, they would be thrown out immediately. 

'Do you see them?' the young master hissed to Siwon. Siwon looked around as they stood by the entrance; he could not, however, spot Miss Jiyoon's parents in the mingling crowd. 'No', he told the young master, who gave an annoyed sigh. Then he put his mask of perfect calm back on and approached a table where three women lingered. 'You must be Mrs. Kwon Hyunji' said Kyuhyun, who bowed graciously. Miss Hyunji, a woman of short stature but with an air of authority over her, curtsied back. Siwon got to know the other two women as  Shim Soah and Do Hyojin. Kyuhyun had undoubtedly memorised all their faces and names beforehand. He was still visibly shaken by the fact that his fiancee's parents were absent though, so he quickly left the conversation and wove his way through the tables and lounge chairs, stopping and chatting at each one of them. Siwon trotted behind him dutifully, boredom settling in. He had almost fallen asleep as the master talked to a man a little older than his father when Kyuhyun beckoned him to  come to the bathroom with him. In the men's bathroom the young master looked around for a moment, then slumped against the wall. 'Master, what is the matter?' Siwon asked, more because he was taught to do so than out of any genuine concern. 'Nothing, just... ' the master said, covering his face with his hands. Siwon just stood there for a while feeling uncomfortable when suddenly the master spoke:

'Do you like me ? '

Siwon was thrown off by the question, though he couldn't say he was entirely surprised. It hung in the air between them for a while, until it grew so heavy that Siwon could almost touch it. He stretched out his hand, hesitatingly, then ruffled the young master's hair. The young master did not protest or pull away. 'I do', Siwon said.