Chapter 5

Take me home

Siwon watched as the Hyehwa landscape slowly transitioned into the more urbanized areas south of the Han river.  TY shopping mall was located at Seoul station. If you walked out of the bus terminals , the mall's entrance was on the right-hand side. On the doors , life-sized stickers of several famous actors smiled their toothpaste- white smiles at passers-by, inviting them to spend their money on things neither they nor their family and friends really needed.

Siwon had never come there, not only because his father had warned him to never set foot inside , but because the whole building had this pretentious tackyness to it. The building was a weird mix of faux-baroque and gothic architecture styles ,  intended to be give off a warm cozy atmosphere, , but to Siwon it came across as just as stuck-up as the family who owned it. 

The chauffeur, Lim, opened the doors , and as etiquette went the young master stepped out first. One foot, moving it over the pavement as if he was scared he might burn his feet, then the other and then his backside came out of the front passenger seat.  Siwon was expected to open the side door by himself, and so he did.  He almost bumped into a female shopper who didn't even so much as excuse herself before shuffling off through the crowd.  Feeling already more morose than he had been when the master summoned him that morning , he had now reached a point where he just wanted to throw a tantrum. How did I deserve all of this ?  he thought, miserable. Then , as was required of his position, he followed the young master into the mall where a long line of employees waited to greet him with subservient bows and too-bright utterances of 'good morning , Young Master'.  Siwon observed that most of them were female. He shot one of them what he hoped was a mischievous smile, and the girl's face reddened before she lowered her head again as Siwon and the Master passed her by.  Satisfied by the effect his face had had, Siwon tucked an imaginary strand of hair behind his ear.

Another team of bodyguards waited at the end of the line, but they kept their distance as the Young Master circled the fountain in the center of the ground floor and proceeded toward the elevator. Siwon trotted behind , and he hated himself for it.  

The top floor was reserved for jewelry shops, each display window shimmering with more crystal and precious stones than the one before it.  That was when the young master turned and walked into one of the stores. Within a few seconds Siwon heard it too; a fierce arguement that turned out to be a particularly nitpicky customer bickering with an employee over what looked like couple rings.  'What do you mean, you don't have these in rose gold ? '  the customer, a woman who looked to be in her mid-twenties , yelled at a baffled employee who was nervously fidgeting at the collar of her uniform.  When the young master entered , the woman turned around . The employee was stunned and bowed subserviently behind the customer's back, but the latter spoke with derision : 'and who might you be ?'   Kyuhyun was unfazed by the woman's rude manner; instead he said : 'may I ask what is the matter, madam ?' 

Siwon watched as it dawned on the woman who the young master might be , and her expression changed a little.  But instead of bowing politely as was the young master's due, she pointed an accusative finger toward the employee, who looked like she wanted to be any place but here.  'I was planning to buy couple rings for our 100th day anniversary, but this wench here tells me that this design is not available in rose gold. '    She showed the young master the design;  A yellow gold band inlaid with alternating shards of blue sapphire and crystal. Something Zoey might have liked, Siwon thought. Usually he didn't care much about what he bought his girlfriends as long as it was something in the make-up , perfume or jewelry department. Nevertheless he felt that this design would have suited few other people besides Zoey.

The Young Master took a few steps toward the terrified employee.  'Miss Do , he said, glancing quickly at her name tag . You know the policy of our shopping mall , yes ?'  She nodded.   The young master then turned toward one of his bodyguards and said : 'see to it that this design is adjusted according to madam's preferences. ' 'Yes , young master' , said the bodyguard, and he made off.  Then he turned back to the employee, and told her: 'Miss Do, seeing it as you did not act in accordance with our policy, you are hereby relieved of your position at TY Mall. ' The young woman was stunned , and Siwon saw she had trouble holding back tears. The customer then faced the young master and told him, in a balmy voice that was a ninety-degree flip from her initial conduct: 'thank you so much , Mr. Cho.' The Young Master did not even smile when he asked: 'When might the anniversary be? '  

'Oh, this Saturday.' 

'Then, please leave your personal details at the service desk on the ground floor , and I shall personally see to it that they arrive in time. '

The woman beamed and walked out of the store, leaving the young master and his team with the employee.  One of the team of bodyguards gestured for her to get out , and she did.  Siwon strained to suppress the urge to run after her . After that, the Young Master continued his round to the rooftop, where one could have a full view of the city below.

'Do you see this ?'

Siwon was startled. The young master seemed to address him. 'Yes?'

'Two-thirds of the capital belongs to my family',  he said