Chapter 1

Take me home

‘Ok , bye’ . With a nonchalant gesture , Choi Siwon pocketed his cellphone.   He had just secured a date with Zoey, whose real name was Sohee and who had just returned from walking a show at New York Fashion Week. The two had met when his father attended the annual chaebol charity dinner three years ago. Sohee was the daughter of one of Kangsol Corporation’s shareholders , and had immediately caught Siwon’s eye.  Confident on the catwalk, reserved and shy when in the company of her father’s allies, Siwon had decided then and there that she was the girl for him.

Except that she wasn’t .  There was nothing exciting about her.  The depth of her personality seemed to be her humility, and the catwalk confidence was faked, a temporary mask.  It was because of this that Siwon had resolved to end it tonight.

His father’s  shiny black BMW was waiting for him, parked at the end of one of the festively lit alleys that led to Kangnam’s main shopping street.  He took his time slouching toward it.   Few people recognized him by sight, but as soon as he dropped his father’s name it was like seas parted for him;  he had access to Kangnam’s most exclusive nightclubs, whose managers themselves would come to greet him and offer him bottles of Dom Perignon.

'To Myeongdong’ he told Shin, the family’s chauffeur.  Myeongdong was known for its many cosmetics and jewelry stores .  Siwon thought it common courtesy to at least buy a gift for his and Zoey’s parting .

‘I am sorry young master, but your father has requested for me to drive you home. ‘    Siwon’s surprise at this statement quickly turned to annoyance.  Obviously one of his father’s business partners was visiting and he had to be there to be paraded in front of  the man like some kind of rare bird, while his mother would highlight how accomplished and modest he was. In the evening his father would lecture him on his behaviour  Truth be told, Siwon had gotten into the prestigious Changjoon business school not because of his grades (which were average) but solely on his father’s money. And even then he ‘d spent most of his time partying and drinking.  It was a miracle he’d graduated, though his habits followed him even after that.

It looked like he would have to cancel his date with Zoey.

------------

The car pulled up in front of the mansion’s main entrance.  Siwon got out and walked to one of the smaller entrances that flanked  the large double doors leading to the reception hall.  ‘Young master Siwon, your father is waiting in his study ‘,  Nari, the housekeeper, told him as soon as he was inside.  ‘Thanks’ , he muttered as he dashed up the stairs and into the first hallway on the left.    His father was indeed waiting in the study;  he was standing at the window overlooking the garden, his back to Siwon. ‘Dad?’   Choi Jin Woo remained motionless for what felt like hours. As the minuted passed, an air of discomfort seemed to pass into the room, along with a strange tension that put Siwon on edge. Finally, his father turned around, and he was shocked to find a serious expression on his face pierced with a deep sadness , perhaps even regret.

‘Siwon, my dear son… ‘  Choi Jin Woo sighed.  Immediately he stood to attention, as if this were a military drill and he was supposed to salute his general.  ‘You know the Chos of TY Corporation  ?’   Siwon nodded, puzzled. TY Corporation was Kangsol’s biggest enemy initially only in the business aspect , but with the birth of the fifth generation of heirs it had become personal. Siwon recalled catching snippets of conversation mentioning a ‘Cho Yoo Jin’  and Cho Kyu... something as a child, when his parents argued over stocks  or whenever his father made a phone call.  Later on he’d learned that they were father and son, with the latter intended to be his arch-rival when he succeeded his father as the CEO of Kangsol .  

‘You will not be the heir to Kangsol. ‘  This was not much of a shock to Siwon , as he had deliberately shown no interest in taking over the company. It was what his father said next that made him feel like something exploded within him. ‘You will be sent  to them--- the Cho family--- and be a personal servant to their son, Cho Kyuhyun . ‘