You Don't Know

Are You Fighting?

"Wow, you look like a mess."

 

Taeyeon glanced at the girl who walked on her left and snorted. "Heh, you have bags under your eyes yourself. Playing games again, Lee Soonkyu?"

 

Thump!

 

"I told you not to call me that," said Sunny, blowing her fist lightly as Taeyeon whined in pain. "And who the hell could play games yesterday..."

 

"Oh," Taeyeon raised her brows, "what happened yesterday? Earthquake? Black out?"

 

Sunny sighed in exaggerating manner. "You don't even know. At least black out wouldn't keep me from sleeping, but my roommate—"

 

Thump!

 

Taeyeon winced. "Seems like your roommate doesn't want to discuss that matter."

 

Sunny rubbed her aching head, pouting. "Damn it, seems so. What about you, anyway? You look lifeless."

 

"Oh, you don't know. There was no peace. I woke up every half an hour, it was frustrating... the room was a mess, and my roommate—"

 

Thump!

 

It was Sunny's turn to wince. "Seems like your roommate doesn't want to discuss that matter, either."

 

"I know right, after all I've been through—"

 

"Correction, not only you but me too..."

 

"Staying up all night..."

 

"Involuntarily getting dragged into a story full of dillema..."

 

"With emo songs played in the background..."

 

Thump!

 

Thump!

 

"OH COME ON, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU TWO!" whined Taeyeon, rubbing her head. "I'm only trying to converse naturally with Sunny here!"

 

Sunny, who was also rubbing her own aching head, nodded eagerly. "Can't we converse without getting hit even just for a day?!"

 

The culprits who were walking alongside the danshins only shrugged. "Then choose a different topic," Yoona and Yuri said, unknowingly in sync. They glanced at each other, surprised, but both quickly looked away after a second passed. Taeyeon and Sunny sighed helplessly as they walked between the two girls, deciding that it was safer for their heads to have no conversations anymore—at least until they reached Uni safely.

 

- : A : - Y - : F : -

 

Arrived safely, they did. Taeyeon and Sunny dropped their heads on their desks as soon as they sat down, both releasing long sighs. The tension in the air was tiring them inside out, that even with heads laying on tables their stares were following the other taller girls around.

 

Yoona took the chair beside Taeyeon, while Yuri decided to sit far in the back corner—both enveloped in silence. Somehow saddening when back then, they would sit side by side and be so noisy together. The silence was rather filled with uncomfort.

 

"You know, I don't think I'll get used to this kind of silence," commented Sunny, head shifting on the table to face Taeyeon.


"You tell me," sighed the other, tiredly. "I do sincerely hope we don't have to get used to this."

 

Yoona closed her eyes, trying to block the danshins' conversations beside her, but the words slipped easily into her ears. She sighed, eyes involuntarily flickered towards where the older girl was sitting...

 

I don't want to get used to this, either.

 

Leaned to her chair, her mind flew back to where it all started.

 

- : A : - Y - : F : -

 

"So what is it, Seunggi-sshi?"

 

She was standing in the third-floor balcony, with a boy in front of her, kneeling, hands presented a bouquet of roses to her. The boy called Seunggi smiled widely, eyes shining with something that made Yoona felt uncomfortable. She took the roses and wondered if their Biology teacher ever mentioned about roses for their assignment.

 

"Would you be my girlfriend?"

 

Yoona had initially thought that they were going to do Biology's homework in which they were grouped together when Seunggi said "let's meet in the balcony". She even asked Yuri to go back alone, since this assignment usually took long to do. So at Seunggi's question, she halted and gaped.

 

"Excuse me?"

 

Smile never faltered, Seunggi repeated his question. "Yoona-sshi, would you be my girlfriend?"

 

They hadn't even stepped out from name-sshi basis and this boy had already asked her to be his girlfriend. What would Yuri say if she witnessed this? 'You guys need to make it more believable', or 'does Seunggi even know your obsession with rilakkuma'? Nah, maybe she would settle down with 'at least pick a right date, you know, 1st April has long passed.'

 

As Yuri crossed her mind, Yoona couldn't help but let out a chuckle.

 

Wrong move, however.

 

"Is it a yes?" asked Seunggi, throwing Yoona out from her train of thought.

 

"W—what? No, I mean, well—"

 

"You don't need to be shy, you know." Seunggi stood up and approached her. She backed away, hands flapped frantically.

 

"I don't say yes, you misunderstand!"

 

Seunggi stopped walking, but his smile was still there. "Then, why do you accept the roses?"

 

Almost in reflex, Yoona threw the roses away. "Y—you! I thought it was for Biology's assignment—maybe—afterall that was what I thought we're here for!"

 

But Seunggi's eyes weren't on her, she realized. His eyes were on the flying bouquet of roses. And she watched, too, as the roses flew, towards the open air, and proceed to do a free fall motion.

 

Both rushed to the edge of the balcony and looked down, expecting the roses to be scattered on the ground.

 

But the bouquet wasn't laying on the ground. Instead, it was gripped firmly in the hold of Kwon Yuri.

 

Yoona's lips automatically broke into a smile. She hasn't gone home yet! We can go home together. Her smile widened at the suggestion. However, the moment Yuri gazed upwards, their eyes met—and Yoona's smile froze at the unreadable look Yuri was giving when she recognized her.

 

"Hi Yuri-sshi!" shouted Seunggi in the midst of the two's staring contest, "thank you for catching the roses! They slipped accidentally from Yoona-sshi's hand!"

 

Yuri looked at the roses on her hold, and back to the two. "This is yours?"

 

"No no no, it's Yoona-sshi's! She accepted it as the symbol of being my girlfriend!"

 

Yoona could see Yuri's eyes narrowed at the statement, and suddenly she felt like everything went wrong.

 

"Oh, I see."

 

Yuri set down the roses on the ground, and flashed a smile Yoona couldn't fathom. "Congratulations, both of you." Then she turned around and left.

 

Left.

 

Yoona wanted to shout for Yuri to wait, but she couldn't find her voice. She didn't even hear Seunggi yelled out his thanks. She couldn't sense anything. Seunggi reached for her hand, but she swatted it away.

 

Yuri had never left her before.

 

She never turned her back on her before.

 

What changed now?

 

Yoona rushed out of the balcony, leaving Seunggi behind. She ignored his shouts or where her legs brought her to. She only wanted to find Yuri and know what's wrong. She only wanted Yuri to wait for her like usual.

 

She only wanted to find that everything's okay.

 

- : A : - Y - : F : -

 

Yoona sighed and covered her face with her hands. It had been two weeks already. She had made it clear to Seunggi that she didn't have any interest to be anyone's girlfriend and she accepting the roses was only some kind of misunderstanding. She had been perfectly single again and her Biology's assignment had been submitted in time.

 

But Yuri had put a distance between them and everything still felt wrong.

 

It had been two weeks already, and she didn't know what's the cause. Or maybe I know, but I'm too afraid to admit it. Yoona let out a long sigh and dropped her head on the desk, not knowing that a pair of eyes was staring at her from behind with sadness lurking on it.