Cheer?

Friends Forever Right?

Class continued on without a teacher. The bell chimed for lunch and chaos disrupted around the students.

“Done,” I sighed and pushed my arms out in front of me to stretch.

“Don’t move,” my head was pushed back down.

I averted my eyes to the person it came from.

“I’m not finished,” Chan still had my hair in his hands.

I grabbed one carton of chocolate milk and poked the straw through it’s opening, “No one told you to do my hair,” I sipped on the chocolate milk.

“Was this supposed to go over this strand or under?” he asked himself.

I moved my head away and pushed his hands back, my hair sliding smoothly between his fingers, “It’s lunch let’s eat.” I poked the hole of the other carton of milk and handed it over to Chan. He took it making a stingy face to me and started drinking it.

“We need real food,” he shuffled the snacks around the desk.

“This is real food,” I said opening the box of Kancho choco biscuits and ripping the packaging open before popping on into my mouth.

“Nope, come on,” he stood up from my desk and pulled me out of my chair.

“Wait,” I grabbed my milk just as he pulled me to the door.

We settled our trays down across from each others at the vacant table. I poked at today’s lunch, mayo bibimbap, with my spoon.

“This is actual food,” Chan shoved a spoonful of bibimbap into his mouth.

I rested my hand on my palm and continued stirring my food, “Yup.”

“Well this is a surprise. Heejin eating in the cafeteria?” Mark set his tray down next to mine before taking the seat.

“Had to drag her here, she was about to just eat snacks.” Chan continued eating his bibimbap.

“We can’t just let food go to waste,” I continued stirring my bibimbap.

“You need to eat tryouts coming up really quick, need as much energy as possible,” Chan said.

“Speaking of tryouts you two are trying out together right?” I looked between the two.

“Of course,” Mark answered not looking up from his food.

“We’ll be the best two on the court again this year with me as star mvp,” Chan grinned and patted his chest.

Mark scoffed,”Please you only managed to shoot because of my defending skills. Can’t even get passed anyone with that height.”

“What’d you say?” Chan stole a pickled radish from Mark’s tray.

“Yah,” Mark took Chan’s kimchi.

“I need to eat more if I’m growing,” Chan took another of Mark’s pickled radish.

I rolled my eyes and took a pickled radish from Mark’s tray.

“Yah,” Mark turned to me.

I sheepishly smiled and took one of Chan’s kimchi, “I’m growing,” I imitated Chan.

A week passed by quickly and I woke up earlier than usual. Stretching my arms in front of me I got ready in my gym clothes.

Arriving in the gym I saw other girls dressed in their gym clothes waiting. Setting my stuff down on the bleachers I stretched by myself. More and more girls came into the gym as I did. Fifteen minutes passed and a whistle was blown. A group of girls clustered together and started squealing. I looked up from stretching my legs on the ground, Coach Ahn stood in the doorway with a clipboard in hand.

“Sign your name on this clipboard then write your name on a piece of sports tape,” he held up a sharpie and a roll of white tape, “stick it where it’ll be visible. Afterwards get into four lines, two in front of each hoop,” he placed the clipboard, sharpie and tape on the bleachers. A line soon formed behind the clipboard as I stayed behind and finished stretching. Sticking the thin piece of tape to the front of my shirt I got in line with the others. Looking around there were about fifty other girls trying out. Coach Ahn had rolled out the basketball cart and passed one to both sides of the court.

He blew his whistle, “What we’ll do first is layups. You and the person across from you will pass the ball the ball between each other,” he got in front of a line and motioned for the girl with the ball to begin running, “Ball! Ball!” he called out, the girl passed it to him, “When doing this you should be calling for the ball,” he yelled. “You and your partner should both be going at the same pace, once you passed this mark,” he stopped and pointed to the piece of red tape on the ground, “the person with the ball will take two steps, one, two and shoot the ball into the hoop,” he jumped up and the ball went straight into the hoop. He grabbed the ball before it touched the ground, “You should jog the way back and the next person in line I want you to call for the ball, so I want you to yell outlet,” he explained before tossing the ball to the next girl in line. He moved towards the bleachers, “On my whistle,” he blew his whistle before anyone had a chance to say anything.

Tryouts went on for a full hour before we were released to get dressed. We were given ten minutes before the first bell rang. I rushed to my class after dressing.

“Jin!” Chan waved once I slid the door open.

“Hey,” I passed by his desk to my cubby. I unlocked it grabbed my books out of it and put my bag with my gym clothes into it. I pulled my chair back from my desk and placed my books into it before resting my head on the cool wood surface.

“Heejin?”

I lifted my head to see Mark and Chan standing in front of my desk, “Morning,” I greeted.

“You ignored me earlier in the hallway when i saw you,” Mark held out a carton of melon milk.

“Sleepy,” I replied. I took the melon milk and poked the straw in it before taking a long sip.

“How did tryouts go?” Chan asked.

“I want to sleep,” I whined.

“Now that I think about it. Tryouts started at 6 am didn’t it?  I don’t think you’ve ever woken up that early for anything this year have you?” Mark teased.

“You’re right all she ever does is sleep,” Chan continued.

I continued drinking the melon milk.

The classroom door slid open, “Good morning Heejin!” Karry called out.

I leaned back against my chair and held up a hand, “Morning.”

Mark pouted, “You didn’t do that to me. Why?”

I rolled my eyes, “To believe you’re older than me.”

Thump! A bread in the shape of a tiger’s face landed on my desk next to my melon milk.

“Aw how cute,” I murmured.

“But not as cute as me right?” Karry’s face appeared in front of me, a few inches away. My eyes widened and I scooted further back in my chair.

Karry was then abruptly pulled back, “Please if anything I’m the cutest in the room,” Chan scoffed, “Besides what’s with the bread? It’s not even cute.”

“It’s for Heejin,” Karry turned to me, “You’re going to cheer me on at tryouts right?” he eye smiled.

“You’re trying out?” I asked.

He nodded.

“She can’t because she’s going to be cheering me on,” Mark looked over at Karrry.

“What?!” Chan asked letting go of Karry, “She’s going to cheer me on,” Chan said.

“Aw look at that, you’ll cheer me on too right Heejin?” Taewoo slung his arms over Chan and Mark’s shoulder, grinning.

I sighed and rested my head on the table, “So loud,” I mumbled.