Promise

Friends Forever Right?

“One for you and you,” Seulgi handed both me and Mark each a metal skewer with marshmallows at one end.

“Did you bring any other food?” Jaehyun popped a marshmallow into his mouth before putting the metal skewer over the fire.

“Chocolate!” Joy shouted.

“Any actual food?” Jaehyun asked.

“Graham crackers!” Joy shook a blue box.

“We were in a rush,” Wendy explained.

“But you still manage to being your guitar,” Jaehyun pointed to her guitar in it’s case.

Wendy went over to Jaehyun and slapped the back of his head, “Be grateful that we brought some food.”

I blew on my marshmallows before taking a bite from the top marshmallow savoring the the gooeyness coming from the center.

“You have to put it on the graham cracker!” Joy rushed over and plopped herself on the ground next to me, taking my skewer and making a s'more with the next marshmallow. She handed it back to me after she was done, “Eat!” she beamed.

“How come you don’t do that for me noona?” Mark pouted at Joy.

“You can make your own!” Joy got up to get her own blanket.

I giggled as I took a bite of the s’more, the marshmallow stretching out as I did. I managed to cut the part of the marshmallow in my mouth away from the s’more.

“Heejin,” Mark called my name.

I turned to him, “Hm?”

He glided his thumb just at the corner of my lips, “The marshmallow stuck to your lips,” he the remaining gooey texture from his thumb and cracked a grin, “it’s good isn’t it?”

I averted my gaze to the fire and nodded.

"There's my favorite couple," Taeyong hugged both me and Mark.

"Hyung," Mark complained.

"Wae? Ah I get it you wanted Heejin to yourself huh?" Taeyong ruffled Mark's hair.

"No! It's because you're still wet," Mark played with his hair to get it in the correct position.

"Taeyong," I waited until he turned towards me, hair still dripping wet. I held out a s'more I had made. He eyed it before taking a huge bite leaving only half of it left.

"Thank you," he grinned.

"How come made him a s'more?" Mark looked at me wide eyed.

"Because she likes me," Taeyong ate the remaining s'more in my hand.

I used my last marshmallow and quickly made another one holding it out to Mark, "Sorry."

"No," Mark looked towards the fire.

"Eh?" I looked up at him.

"Ah," Mark opened his mouth and pointed his index finger to it before turning back to the fire. I tilted my head.

Taeyong sighed, "he wants you to feed him."

"What?" I asked, looking towards Taeyong to clarify what he had just said.

"You know like what you did for me you know what," Taeyong took the s'more I had just made and placed half of it into my mouth, he then forcefully turned and opened Mark's mouth onto the other end of the s'more. He ended up using a bit too much force and Mark ended up dangerously close. I was now leaning on my elbows.

Taeyong chuckled before heading back to the shore with Ten.

We stayed in the same position for a few more seconds before Mark bit on his end of the s'more and straightened up.

I leaned up and bit down on the s'more. The space between us was still small but larger than before. The wind blew against us as we sat in silence.

I turned to him to see him turn away. I looked down at the remaining s'more in my hand, after contemplating I held the remaining s'more to Mark's lips. He turned to me.

"You should finish it," I said though it came out rushed.

He took it from my hand and popped it into his mouth, "thanks."

We continued sitting in silence until Hansol started a sparkler gaining everyone’s attention.

“I want one!” Lami shouted.

“I want one too!” Joy rejoiced.

"Here be careful," Hansol handed his to Lami. She stared at the sparkler amazed before waving it in the air.

Soon the sparklers were passed around and everyone had at least two.

Mark stood up taking the blanket off. He’d started our sparklers and headed off in a different direction of the group pulling me along with his free hand. We stopped just far enough where it would take the others awhile to get to us but close enough to see their silhouettes.

Mark handed me two of the sparklers and waved the two he had in his hand around in circles, his mouth hung open at the sight. I held the both of mine up and and made the same motions as him. We soon ran around filling the night with small fireworks.

Mark stopped in his tracks and I ran into his hard chest. I looked up to see he was staring down at me. The water climbed up the shore as we stood there.

“Promise me one thing Heejin,” his tone was serious.

“No matter what happens I’ll always be your best friend.”

I laughed, “Remember how we started talking and becoming friends then Chan got jealous? Look how we are now, all of us are friends. You’re acting as if that’s going to change.”

He sighed.

“Remember when we were ten and I got lost and you helped me? Then I went to the park to hang out with Chan and you two were playing basketball with each other. The both of you were so into it neither of you noticed me. You two played until dark and wouldn’t give up until the other admit defeat. Your moms had to drag you home,” I giggled. “Then school started and Chan and I found out you were in the same grade as us. Everyday Chan would make sure I stayed away from you during recess, he wouldn’t let you get as close as three feet near me and he wouldn’t even let me say hi to you. When Chan wasn’t worried about me getting near you the two of you would play basketball against each until the other lost. You two played how many times? Like one hundred? It took you two months until I got you both to become friends. Nothing’s going to change that.”

“Just promise me,” he urged.

I sighed, “I promise.”

“Swear on it,” he held out his pinky.

I smiled and led out my pinky. Our sparklers crossed while it kept burning as the water rose higher and higher.

“Thank you,” he pulled me into a hug and held me tight.

“Wah!” Someone crashed into us and we landed into the cold water, our sparklers no longer burning. “The stars are so bright!” Donghyuk pointed at the sky as he layed in the water.

“Yah!” Mark sat up and started splashing water onto Donghyuk.

“Oh, Mark’s mad,” Donghyuk narrated in a monotone as he tried blocking the water splashed onto him.

I sat in the water dumbfounded watching the two.

“Come on Heejin you might catch their dumbness if you stay too long,” Ten helped me out of the water.

“Yah!” Mark and Donghyuk shouted in unison.

“I can’t believe you picked today out of all days to go to the sea in the fall too!” Wendy scrunched her nose and pulled her blanket closer to her on the bus.

“We’ll be lucky if none of us get sick,” Seulgi agreed with her.

“It was fun while it lasted,” Jaehyun smiled smugly.