Audiation

Audiation

NP: "Baby, Don't Cry" by EXO


"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche

~

His body moves gracefully across the floor, limbs moving fluidly with unprecedented grace and undeniable passion. Mirrors all around reflect every move, and if there are any onlookers, they would say that the dance is perfect, the dancer even more so.

But that is not true.

No. Kim Jongin would beg to disagree.

His keen eyes would usually notice a slip here, a fumble there, subtle things that would likely be missed by inexperienced eyes. He would notice them all, and then, he would repeat each step of his choreography until everything’s polished, perfect.

But as stated before, that is usually, when his dark eyes are glued to the mirrors. Today does not fall in the ‘usually’ category. Today, Jongin’s gaze is not directed to the mirrors around him, but rather on the beautiful person playing the piano and singing for him in the studio’s corner.

There, sitting serenely and bathed in the afternoon sunlight, is the love of Jongin’s life.

Fingers obviously worn by housework nimbly press at the keys, their movements as confident as Jongin’s moves across the dance floor. The piano’s music is beautiful, but it is nothing compared to the voice accompanying it. The singer has a rich voice, and though there are some parts of the song where his voice cracks or shakes a bit, it is the deep emotion that he gives to every note that makes the song perfect nonetheless.

The song is the music to the dance.

It makes it complete.

Just as the singer makes Jongin complete.

They have been going at it for almost an hour, and the dancer notes that they would have to stop after this final song; he doesn’t want his lover’s throat to hurt. Inhaling, Jongin glides, his body slightly huffing from the exertion. He is the living, breathing, dancing note of his beloved’s song, and he would never, ever, tire doing this for him—for Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo’s voice is mesmerizing; it is the only sound that could pierce the chaotic haze of Jongin’s mind during times of trouble, just as it is the only voice Jongin wants to hear laughing the most.

Jongin is determined to let Kyungsoo hear his own voice just as he does: the perfect music to his heart’s dance.

Eventually, the moves slow, and the voice lowers its volume into murmurs until the studio is silent except for the sound of their breathing.

Jongin walks over quickly to the now-standing figure by the piano, and places his hands on either side of his beloved’s face, swooping down and kissing him deeply. He pulls back, and is delighted with Kyungsoo's blush and shy smile.

“How was it?”

Jongin gives him a thumbs-up, chuckling as Kyungsoo’s eyes crinkle happily.

“For real? Don’t lie, Jongin!”

He laughs outright at that, and taking a step back, there’s a slight tug at his heart as he expresses the sincerity of his thoughts…

 

 

 

…through sign language.

Yes, despite having that beautifully rich voice filled with emotion, his Kyungsoo is deaf. He lost his hearing way back during grade school, and ever since Jongin found out about it when they met eight years ago, he urged the doe-eyed male to sing again, as he did before he lost his ability to hear.

Kyungsoo was reluctant at first (It’s been years, Jongin. I wouldn’t know if I sound like an idiot!), but Jongin was persistent and went as far as promising to dance out every note in Kyungsoo’s song to let the other male know how it went; the personification of music notes. And neither knew back then that it would be the start of the connection between them that later on blossomed into the deep love they have for each other now.

Kyungsoo blushes hard when Jongin finished his message. “You are inflating my ego, idiot!” he grumbles, weakly batting at his boyfriend’s bicep. Jongin smiles and wraps his arms around the man he had come to cherish more than anything.

I love you. He mouths the words against Kyungsoo’s neck, smirking when the tips of the petite male's ears turn pink.

Lacing their fingers together, Jongin pulls Kyungsoo to go home and have dinner at their shared apartment. He initially wanted to take Kyungsoo out to a fancy restaurant for their fifth anniversary, but ultimately decided against it at his lover’s insistence and, unknown to Kyungsoo, also for a greater purpose.

 

 

As they walk down the streets hand in hand, his eyes gazing back at Kyungsoo’s own, filled with love, Jongin vaguely remembers his visit to the bank earlier that day, and figures that he would have to call that ear surgeon soon.

 

He decides to buy the ring later on.

 

After Kyungsoo recovers from the cochlear implant surgery that Jongin has spent months saving for as a surprise.