Chapter 4

You Are...

They say twenty-one is when you really become an adult.

Because that's when you taste the bittersweet of your first drink.

I guess I became an adult at nineteen.


October 10th, 2014 -- 8:00 pm

As soon as my shift was over, I went over to hospital. 

Something was telling me this was a deja vu, and I blinked away the tears as my heart tugged unconsciously for my dad.

Stepping into the flurescently lit buildling, I reached the all-too-familiar looking counter to the left of the main entrance.

"Is Kim Myungsoo checked in at this buildling?" I asked.

She gave me a weird look before asking for my relation with him, to which I replied I was his girlfriend. 

I wonder why I said that, but the look she gave me after I said that was even more weird.

"Down the hall to the right and turn left twice. It'll be the third door to your right, 1503."

1503..... 

A chord struck inside of me somewhere. 


October 10th, 2010 -- 8:05 pm

"Mom, I'm completely fine! Why are you doing this to me?" I bawled, clinging on to the hem of her pencil skirt.

Cold as ever, my mom pushed me away, saying calmly,"They'll fix you, Sooji. After you stay here a bit, you'll be fine." 

"He's real, I swear!" I tried to argue, but she was already closing the door.

The sign on the door...

1503

Bae Sooji


October 10th, 2014 -- 8:10 pm

1503

I slightly opened the door and peaked before stepping quietly into the room. 

The room was clean, but quite boring. 

A large window from the opposite side of the door, but curtains covering the view. 

A counter next to the bed. 

On the counter lay the brown notebook I had always seen Myungsoo carrying.

In the bed was where Myungsoo was, sleeping soundly. 

I sat on the little stool next to his bed, being careful not to wake him up. 


"Eneke the bird was asked why he was always on the wing and he replied: 

'Men have learend to shoot without missing their mark

and I have learned to fly without perching on a twig.'"

Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe