Chapter 3

You Are...

Bae, like a boat

But even for boats, sinking is inevitable.


October 10th, 2014 -- Time 8:00 am

I wonder why I didn't see him before today - school had started a month ago.

Two years my senior, he was in the photography department, which was right next to the arts.
He walked unnoticed, however, by everyone in the halls.

Mysterious.


October 10th, 2014 -- Time 7:30 pm

I waited for him, just like I always did.

But I wasn't met with the light jingling of the bells today.

It was likely that I would remember this day forever.

October 10th, the day Myungsoo didn't come.

October 10th, the day that dad broke his promise.

October 10th, my birthday.


October 10th, 2007 - Time 4:00 pm

"What does our princess want for dinner on her special day? Daddy will buy anything for his little girl." Dad's eyes always shined when he smiled.

"Chicken!!" I had exclaimed.

Every single birthday of everyone in our family, we would go to the same chicken house, the one furthest away from our house.

It was supposed to be some kind of a joke, getting "special" chicken, because the chicken there was so overpriced.

It was worth it though - it tasted so good.

My dad and I were outside on the playground in front of the apartments, since  it was one of those days when the october breeze was warm even though it was strong.

"Daddy, can you go now pleaseeeeee." If only I hadn't begged him to go that day.. I knew there would be heavy traffic, but figured this way I would be able to celebrate my birthday as soon as mom got home from work.

Dad always took a day off on my birthday, but not anyone elses. I was his favorite, he said.

"Alright Suji," he said standing up from the swing next to time, "go inside and wait, okay? I'll be back soon so we can celebrate your birthday. Promise"

He kissed me on the forehead before he left, and I had secretly wiped it off.

I wouldn't have done that if I had know.


October 10th, 2007 -- Time 5:05 pm

I dropped the stick I was drawing with when I heard the screech.

By the time I registered what was happening, ambulances had arrived and the passengers of the cars were being rushed onto stretchers.

I couldn't do a thing.

But I knew that one of the people in those stretchers looked awfully familiar.


October 10th, 2007 -- Time 11:26 pm

"I'm sorry."

That was all that the man in the long white coat needed to say.

All that he needed to say for my whole world to come crashing down.

We never had our special chicken after that.

I never again wiped away the tiny bit of wetness on my forehead.

And no one was there to greet me at home on my birthday when I got home from school.


"That's the thing about pain: it demands to be felt."

- John Green, The Fault in Our Stars