↻ monochrome

when a man loves — infinite otp oneshots 。


Description: Myungsoo lives in a world that’s black and white until Sungyeol comes and paints some colour to his life.
Words: 3748
Author note: FIRST ONE. I hope it's alright :/

 

He wakes up, cold and miserable. It doesn’t occur to him that he’s had an accident but he finds himself knowing exactly where he is and doesn’t question it. He doesn’t question to why he is in a rock hard, solid bed, nor does he question the numbing feeling in his legs. He immediately looks out the window, it’s raining lightly and grey skies are all he sees. He looks around his room, the walls are white, even the cold floor tiles are white. The black furniture in the room contrasts to the white and he doesn’t look any different. He is wearing a white t-shirt and white pants, the only source of colour in the room being his skin colour. His hair was a nice jet black shade, all messed up like a birds nest. Sighing, he looks to the wall and presses the white button before closing his eyes and resting his eyes.

Sungyeol walks around the room, smiling brightly at the little kids who all look up at him like he is a hero. He plays with them, bring an evil villain for all the little boys to use their fake plastic swords on and rescue little girls with pretty, pink, floral dresses and little tiaras. He reads them story books with happily ever after’s and puts them to sleep when the clock hits twelve. By the end of the day, the kids are crying and telling him they don’t want to go home but Sungyeol promises them that he will see them tomorrow, always. He picks up all the blocks in the room as his friend enters the room, smiling so brightly his eyes disappear and pats him on the shoulder

“Sungyeol, Thanks for helping today.” He thanks, his arms wrapped tightly around his fiancée and Sungyeol smiles back, glad he was of some use to the little nursery in the hospital.

“No problem Sunggyu hyung, you know I like to help, you’re getting married soon with Woohyun so you’re busy,” He says with a nod. Sunggyu and his fiancée, Woohyun could only thank him more. Sungyeol likes the little nursery, even though it was for kids with mental disabilities, he only views them as normal kids, wanting a better life in this ty world and Sungyeol likes that. He likes the innocence that radiated in the room when he walks in every afternoon, the bright colours and the crayon drawing the kids drew for him. He knew that there were elder people in this area too, some with other disabilities that avoid them from living life.

Sungyeol waves at the couple, who smiles back at him and wave brightly. Woohyun was holding money in his hand, meant for Sungyeol but he would never take the money, never. As he walks down, he greets the elderly that were too weak to move and helps them with their needs before getting back to walking home.

He turns around at a corner but then hears a bang, accompanied by a painful groan. He immediately opens the door to see one of the most gorgeous men he’s ever seen on the floor. He stands there, dumbfounded by his beauty and the cold eyes that sent shivers down his back but then he realises he is on the floor, groaning in pain. So Sungyeol quickly helps him up. The boy never says anything to him or even looks at him for that matter but Sungyeol could tell he was slightly thankful. He didn’t even notice his phone dropping beside him, hitting the tiled floor with a soft ‘clack’.

The boy looks up at him and sighs, muttering a soft sorry under his breath and Sungyeol panics.

“W-What? W-Why are you sorry?!” He has his arms in the air; flailing and the boy chuckles under his breath at the cute sight. He looks at the food on the table across the room and Sungyeol follows his gaze.

“Did you want the food?” Sungyeol asks and Myungsoo nods, placing the while blanket over his legs and Sungyeol smiles, his gums showing as he wheels the tray of plain food neck to the boys bed and waves as he walks out, leaving his phone on the floor.

As the boy devours his food like he hadn’t eaten in days, he notices the smart phone lying on the floor and chuckles. The phone was white itself but the case was bright pink, along with flowers and other girly and he thinks it’s quite cute. So instead of getting someone to give back the phone, he leaves it there and continues to eat. After all, it’s been a while since he saw the colour pink.

The next day he wakes up, the cute male he saw yesterday is already opening the door to his room. He is wearing a blue and pink striped sweater and black jeans. It’s been a while since he saw the colour blue that the boy almost forgot what the colour was. He bows at him and cries out in joy when he sees his phone lying in the centre of the room. The boy watches him in amusement as he yells gibberish at him and the cute male smiles at him.

After a quick chat with the boy in the hospital bed over his phone case

“It’s a manly case! Pink is manly!”

“But it has flowers on it,”

“So? It’s a manly case! Real men like pink!”

He finds out that the boy on the bed is named Myungsoo and he is paralysed from the waist below. He got into a terrible car accident 6 months ago and has been lying in this hospital bed ever since. He dropped out of college and is now being schooled by the hospital because Myungsoo didn’t want to give up education. Myungsoo also has a knack for photography, Sungyeol finds out and Myungsoo promises to show him later, when he feels like it because he is too lazy to reach for his camera right now.

Myungsoo tells Sungyeol about his friends that visit his every week or so, Dongwoo and Howon. It makes sense now because he always see’s the two males around this area every Sunday mornings, one looking quite calm and one with a laugh so magical that it even makes the kids laugh with him. Sungyeol makes it a note to introduce himself when he sees them again.

They continue to talk about their lives, about Sunggyu and Woohyun’s marriage happening in a few months and by the time Sungyeol realizes he’s been sitting in the same spot for way too long, his best friend Sungjong is on the phone and demanding where he is because it’s hang out day and they’re meant to be at Sungjong’s house eating crappy food and playing games. Sungyeol should introduce Sungjong to Myungsoo, Sungjong would adore him.

It used to be the same every single day, he would go in, played with the kids and made sure Sunggyu and Woohyun would make out somewhere other than when the kids are watching, then he would clean up, argue with Woohyun about the money that Sungyeol should have been taking and go home. However, not this time. Now days, he visits the boy who just sits in the bed and doesn’t really say anything, named Myungsoo.

He meets Myungsoo’s friends for the first time on a rainy Sunday morning and he instantly declares he likes Dongwoo, even more than his own set of friends. Dongwoo and Sungyeol click instantly, talking and laughing loudly about the most random things. Sungyeol also compliments Dongwoo’s bright pink hair and Dongwoo chuckles.

“Myungsoo needs more colour in his life anyway, so I’m glad that my hair is Pink enough so that Myungsoo doesn’t can’t forget the colour,”

This gets Sungyeol thinking.

Sungyeol sits with Myungsoo, peeling apples with a poor excuse of his hand hurting so he can’t peel them properly and Myungsoo teases him but eats them anyway, he always eats what Sungyeol cooks, even if its burnt to the bone and Hoya worries about Myungsoo’s health.

Sungyeol decides to bring up Myungsoo’s photos and Myungsoo nods. He points to a drawer and tells Sungyeol to pick out the massive black book. He does just that and Myungsoo gives Sungyeol a soft smile/ Sungyeol flips through the book and is instantly taken aback at how beautiful all the pictures look. Even if they’re black and white. But when he gets further and further down the book, everything is black and white, lifeless. He frowns at Myungsoo who just tilts his head.

“Do you not like them?”

“No I do! But…”

“But?”

“Why are they all black and white?” Myungsoo chooses to reply by shoving a poorly cut apple quarter in his mouth.

So it really isn’t a surprise when the next day, Sungyeol is forcing him on a wheel chair that he hasn’t sat in, in a very long time and is wheeling him out of the room, holding Myungsoo’s precious camera. He doesn’t listen to Myungsoos protest and for the first time in 6 months, he is outside. Fresh air hits him in waves and he is taken aback at how bright it looks. The skies are blue with birds soaring through them and the hospital garden is so colourful with flowers of many colours and the grass is green. Sungyeol pushes Myungsoo around once he notices Myungsoo has already taken several photos of the scenery and he is smiling brightly when he finds Myungsoo smiling as well.

They meet Dongwoo, Howon, Sunggyu and Woohyun later on and Sungyeol calls his friend Sungjong to tell him about his amazing friends he has met and that he should join them for lunch. The seven of them eat lunch together under the clear blue skies with fluffy clouds and Myungsoo looks around. He feels almost overwhelmed about how much he has missed in 6 months and his hand which is resting on Sungyeol’s casually, instantly tightens. Sungyeol is confused, but squeezes back.

Myungsoo is sitting with Sungyeol again, no surprise as Sungyeol is telling him about something that happened at school today. It doesn’t seem like a big deal but Sungyeol makes it seem like it is. Myungsoo only chuckles and then Sungyeol gets serious.

“Myungsoo, why don’t you go to therapy?” Sungyeol asks, Myungsoo scrunches his nose and blinks

“What’s up with you Giraffe? Why so serious?” He asks with a dry laugh, trying to avoid the question but Sungyeol is smarter than he looks.

“Don’t avoid it, why don’t you go to therapy?” Myungsoo sighs at Sungyeol who has never looked so serious before.

“I don’t go to therapy because I don’t see the point. I don’t mind if I can’t walk anymore,” He says and Sungyeol stares at him, in shock. He was not expecting that statement and Myungsoo laughs, pinching Sungyeol’s nose because he finds Sungyeol’s shocked expression so cute.

For the next few weeks, Sungyeol tries to force Myungsoo into therapy, he wants Myungsoo to walk again and he wants Myungsoo to feel life again. Myungsoo doesn’t budge and tells Sungyeol that he is fine and he likes the way his life is now because Sungyeol is there but Sungyeol can tell he is bullting. He is lying and he knows Myungsoo hates the way his room is only black and white.

Even his food is in dull colours. The last time Myungsoo saw colour was when Sungyeol walked in the door with bright red apples to cut. Actually, the only time he ever sees colour is when Sungyeol walks in the door.

So one day, He cracks it at Myungsoo and he can’t even stop himself.

“Why won’t you do it for once in your life Myungsoo!? Just go to therapy! I want to walk with you! I want you to see things, see colours! Why won’t you do it?!” He yells at him and storms out the room, leaving a shocked but crestfallen Myungsoo and the bright red apples rolling on the floor in a pink plastic bag.

Next time Sungyeol goes to see him, he is holding a bright blue teddy bear (in to which all the kids about). He wants to apologize to Myungsoo but freaks out when he isn’t in the room. The apples are gone and the man in the white bed is gone. Needless to say, Sungyeol does freak out and runs straight back to Sunggyu and Woohyun screaming

“HYUNG!MYUNGSOOISGONEANDICAN’TFINDHIMANDIHAVENTEVENSAIDSORRY!ISHELEAVINGMEANDOHMYGODI’MSOSORRYMYUNGSOO!”

Sunggyu and Woohyun could only blink and the both points to the familiar boy in a wheel chair at the lobby, trying to lift himself off it and Sungyeol wails, running to him screaming and crying and being a big ugly mess.

He jumps on Myungsoo, making his attempts to get up futile and they ignore the instructor that looks surprised. Sungyeol wraps his skinny arms around Myungsoo’s waist, the blue teddy bear being long forgotten by the door.

“Myungsoo! I’m so sorry for acting like a stupid ! Don’t hate me please! I’m so sorry!” Myungsoo looks surprised but he wraps his arms around Sungyeol and pats his head softly, forgiving him and smiling at the sobbing man like a child, whispering words of forgiveness. As Sungyeol burries his head in Myungsoo’s chest, Myungsoo feels his heart thumping uncontrollably in his chest, to the point where it almost hurts and he holds a hand to his chest, confused.

Myungsoo sits in the wheel chair, drinking water and Sungyeol has a worried expression, etched on his pretty features. He sits next to Myungsoo and wipes Myungsoo’s sweat of his face with a white fluffy towel. Sungyeol sighs softly

“What were you doing Myungsoo? Did they force you into therapy? Let me go give a piece of my mind!” Sungyeol exclaims, with a fist in the air and attempts to get up but Myungsoo holds him back with one of the softest smiles Sungyeol has ever seen and he blushes.

“You said you wanted to walk with me.” Myungsoo says and Sungyeol gapes, his mouth is open. He shakes and sits back down, finding himself crying for the second time that day.

Things have been hard on Myungsoo lately. Sungyeol had to stop visiting him as exams get harder and schooling for him in hospital doesn’t make it easier for him too. He throws his black math book in the bag of other black note books in the corner and huffs. He was quite upset when Sunggyu came in to tell him Sungyeol won’t be visiting for a while and the only thing Myungsoo had was the blue teddy bear that rests next to him.

The bear smelt like Sungyeol and it makes Myungsoo miss his embraces every time Myungsoo has finished a long period of therapy and Myungsoo honestly feels like giving up but he can’t. He is so close. So close to feeling his feet, so close to running with Sungyeol in empty fields. He is convinced he likes Sungyeol now, which is strange because he didn’t even see anyone but his parents and his two best friends for the past 6 months but now he is having a crush. But it makes butterflies flutter in him and makes him happy.

“ing hell!” Myungsoo yells and throws his crutches to the other side of the room, his instructor widening her eyes “M-Myungsoo!” she exclaims and Myungsoo could only glare at her with the coldest glare he can muster. He is tired, sweat pouring down his face and yet, the still had the guts to say he wasn’t trying hard enough.

It was already hard enough that Sungyeol wasn’t there to encourage him but words like that made his blood boil.

“Leave.” And all it took was that one word before she disappears. He mutters under his breath and sat in the wheel chair again when he heard a small knock on the door. He was about to groan and tell whoever it was to off but he didn’t, instead, his jaw just drops.

“D-Do you want me to leave?” He says softly and Myungsoo shakes his head.

“No. Stay Sungyeol.”

One day, Sungyeol manages to swoon Myungsoo’s teacher’s heart and they manage to get Myungsoo out of his home school together. He pushes Myungsoo out of the room on his wheel chair and smiles brightly at him which Myungsoo finds so breathtaking he needs to look away so he can breathe again.

“Did you want to see the kids?” He asks, pushing him in his wheel chair in the general direction of the nursery. Myungsoo wasn’t too fond of kids. Sure they were cute but they whined a lot and Myungsoo didn’t really know what to do then.

But the moment he enters the room, he can see why Sungyeol loves them so much. They are pure angels. Lovely, little, adorable things that bombard Sungyeol with colourful drawings the moment he enters the room and Myungsoo can’t help but think of how motherly Sungyeol looks at that moment, even if he did act like a child.

One of the little girls sees Myungsoo and points “Sungyeol oppa!” She squeals and Sungyeol has to bend down to reach her eye level “Yes sweetheart?”

She blushes lightly and plays with her small fingers “Is a prince? Because he looks like a prince!” Myungsoo chuckles and Sungyeol frowns, pouting.

“No. He isn’t a prince. He is a big, fat, ugly dragon that you all need to run away from before he eats you.” And they all squeal before running away and Sungyeol chases them, roaring but laughing.

Myungsoo sees the colours of the actual rainbow for the first time since the accident. He sees purple, orange, green, blue, red. As Sungyeol is reading a bed time story for all the little kids, he finds himself looking around at the amazing drawings, filled with life and innocence. Everyone here had problems, some being worse than Myungsoo’s himself but they all looked so happy. It puts a smile on his face and one day, he would like to join Sungyeol and take care of these kids, playing an evil villain along with Sungyeol, chasing them around. There’s a beautiful little girl on his lap and Myungsoo is playing with her hair softly as she slowly falls asleep and for the first time ever, he finally feels comfortable in the small building he has lived in for so long.

Sungyeol is wheeling Myungsoo back to his room, the sun is setting and they both turn to look. It is such a beautiful sunset and Myungsoo really feels happy. He realizes that he wants to be with Sungyeol. Not like little hours but he wants to walk with Sungyeol to school every day and pick him up. He wants to go on little dates with Sungyeol just to take in the fresh air and he just wants Sungyeol by his side.

“Hey, help me up,” He says softly as they stop in front of a large window, showing the beautiful orange, yellow sunset and Sungyeol stops to blink but helps him up anyway.

They stand there in a moment of silence, just looking out the window. Sungyeol has his hands around Myungsoo’s waist to steady him and Myungsoo has his arm around Sungyeol’s shoulder.

It’s nice to say that Myungsoo could finally feel his legs. Just a little bit. He has a long way to go. He turns to Sungyeol and the other male blinks, with one of his charming smiles again “What is it Myungsoo?”

And that’s basically all Myungsoo needed before slowly leaning his head in, and pressing his lips against the others.

Sungyeol is freaking out. What was happening? His arm that wasn’t supporting Myungsoo is awkwardly hanging in the air. His heart is beating furiously to the point that he was sure that it would burst out of his ribcage but the moment he kisses back, he can feel Myungsoo smile. It was a slow, breathtaking kiss that sent fireworks in Sungyeol’s mind and butterflies in his stomach.

Sungyeol breaks off the kiss but their foreheads are still pressed together and Sungyeol blushes an unhealthy shade of red. Myungsoo’s eyes are still closed as he rubs their noses in such a loving way that it melts Sungyeol in a gooey puddle and Myungsoo gives him a fast series of small pecks on the lips.

“M-Myungso-,“ He is then shut up with another peck on the lips and Sungyeol’s hand is tightly clutching on Myungsoo’s white shirt.

“Thank you Sungyeol. Thank you for everything.”

It’s been a year since all the happened and now, the two were under the stars. Myungsoo had drove them to the edge of a cliff which showed the bright city lights and the beautiful stars that endlessly went to the horizon. The two were both cuddling on the hood of Myungsoo’s bran new car, giving each other small kisses on the lips and talking. Myungsoo plays with Sungyeol’s long caramel hair and Sungyeol pecks his bottom lip.

Everything was perfect now. Myungsoo could finally walk again so he enrolled into Sungyeol’s college. They walk home together every day and have little dates, just like Myungsoo wanted. Myungsoo’s photo book is also now filled with colourful pictures of everyday life. The cities, the country side, the beach and the forests. Most of the pictures contain Sungyeol. Myungsoo wants to throw his old photo book away but Sungyeol stops him, explaining that that was just an old chapter of Myungsoo’s life and now he was creating a new.

But right now, it was only the two of them. Sungyeol grabs on Myungsoo’s dark brown locks as Myungsoo went to go kiss his jaw line. The moment Myungsoo could walk again, Sungyeol immediately forced Myungsoo into a hair salon and said he needed some colour. Sungyeol actually pouted when the dark brown wasn’t bright enough to his liking but Myungsoo said that it was fine and now that he looks at it. Dark brown looks beautiful on Myungsoo.

And now, Myungsoo could finally see colours in his once dull life and he thanks it all the Sungyeol, the cute male who gave him colours and in return, stole his heart. And actually, it would be best if Sungyeol kept it.

…….

-Monochrome
[mon-o-chrome]

Noun
A photograph or picture developed in black and white or in tones of one colour.

-Fin.