Back to Work

Just You and Me

Ryeowook walked into his old workplace to find that everything had changed. And he meant everything. From colour scheme to light fittings, from wallpaper to carpet. It had all changed. And that was just out the front in the dining area.

He had received a text earlier that day – before the scheduled re-opening day – to return to work and to be prepared for a new position.

Ryeowook knowing what his work place was like, he thought that he would probably move from dish to waiting staff. Not that he minded. Some of the best chef’s had started at the bottom and worked their way right to the top. Everyone had their stories. And this was going to be his.

He walked in through to the kitchen – which was all shiny and new with its stainless steel bench tops and appliances that Ryeowook had never laid eyes on in this facility. He didn’t even know if the head chef could use such utensils – from memory he was a man that preferred sandwiches to crepes and refused to use anything other than traditional methods.  Ryeowook had learnt nothing more than not to become like him while watching from his spot at the back of the kitchen in the dish.

Speaking of which, it was now a much larger and much newer space. The space was doubled and there were three sinks instead of two. Ryeowook had always wanted this much space but was never allowed it. He thought that he wouldn’t miss working there, but now, looking at its improvements, he felt a slight pang of regret in his chest.

“You must be Ryeowook!” a new voice calls, it’s deep but cheerful. Ryeowook turns to find a larger man standing near one of the new benches wearing the chef’s uniform.

Ryeowook bows, “Yes I am, please take care of me.”

The man laughs, “I shall, I’m Shin Donghee. The new head chef here. And from what I have been told by the higher ups, you want to one day take this spot in your own restaurant. Is that correct?”

His head still hung slightly, in both embarrassment and respect – in a way – the younger boy nods.

“Wonderful!” Donghee exclaims, “It is hard work but once you get there, it’s worth every second of it.”

Ryeowook smiles, “I believe I could make it.”

Donghee nods and there is a pause in conversation as Donghee looks at his menu trying to think of another way to continue.

“Um… I hope this doesn’t offend you at all… But, do you mind if I give you a nickname?” Ryeowook asks timidly, “I mean… It’s just… my friend… well… housemate… His name… its Donghae… and I don’t want to get you two confused…”

Donghee laughs, “Call me Shindong then.” He smiles, “One day, I hope to meet your friend Donghae.”

Ryeowook nods, now smiling widely.

“Now, Ryeowook, I assume you were told that you had a new job to do starting today, correct?”

He nods again.

“Well, I hope you don’t mind, but it will be helping me out in the kitchen. As an apprentice.”

There is a silence.

Ryeowook doesn’t move. Trying to comprehend what was just said.

Slowly, second by second, his shocked face rises into an incredibly bright smile.

“That would be… The single most amazing most incredible thing… Ever.” He says, before jumping up and down in his place.

 

Out the back, in a new office he made for himself, Jongwoon watches Ryeowook’s reaction to the new position. He smiles and laughs with the younger, wishing ever so much to go out and hug the boy, to tell him that it was all his doing, everything. That this restaurant was solidly for his future. That he had renamed it just for him.

Forelsket.

 

A/N:: Forelsket:: [Norwegian] the euphoria you experience while falling in love.

Now, I don't know Norwegian, I just googled terms to do with falling in love but in other languages... It was a toss up between Forelsket, Koi No Yokan (Japanese meaning something alike 'love at first sight' but more a feeling that you will love that person) and Yuafen (Chinese, meaning a relationship by fate or destiny) but I went with Forelsket because its not Asian and thus Ryeowook and others won't know what it means. XD

I thought really hard about this so I hope you like it. 

I would like to welcome new subs~!! Thank you, you guys really brighten my days XD

Anyway, thats about all, till next time <3