A Very Warm Christmas

Hello, Luhan!

"We will have a Christmas Eve Party at our house this year!"

Silence drops at the living room. Everyone is looking at Appa either in shock or laziness. Luhan stretches his feet, yawning.

"No need to force yourself, Appa ...."

"Yeah. At the end of each year, you are always busy with you work." Kyungsoo chimes in.

"I know right? Every time you make a promise, it always ends up cancelled."

Luhan remembers his last Christmas. At the time, Appa promised him to have a fancy dinner in the restaurant in the morning. In the evening, when he had worn his best clothes, Appa had been at the front door, ready to leave, but not for having the dinner together, for haveing sudden deadline in his office.

Mianhae, Luhan-ah. We will have the dinner next time, okay?

Aboji glances at his husband, ready to calm the situation, but Kyungsoo is faster to comment.

"Appa, you don't have to force yourself. Just come early at at Christmas Day. Aboji and I will cook. We will have a nice feast in the morning."

"Yeah, we won't be sleepy to wait for you to come as well."

Luhan's words slap Appa's heart. He grits his teeth. It is his fault that he never really fulfils his promise to everyone in the house.

Alright! This year, I have to finish all the work so I can have a Christmas Eve party in my house!

 

*   *   *

 

At some past 10 pm, December 23rd

 

The curry is brewing lightly. Appa wipes the sweat formed on his forehead. Suddenly, two hands are massging his shoulder.

"You have worked really hard, Appa. Get down yourself a little bit."

Appa smiles at Aboji.

"It is alright. I wanna have nice dinner with kids this Christmas."

Aboji shakes his head. He knows his husband has been giving a lot of work to have his job done before this day. As an editor for a publishing company, Appa has a lot of work to do and he has tight deadline to make. In order to free himself for three days, Appa has been working overtime for almost two weeks.

"Okay. Let me help you. You can sit and have a drink. I will continue the cooking."

Appa wants to cry now. He feels so blessed to be given a wonderful husband like his. Aboji never fails to notice his well-being and he is always ready to help him whenever possible.

"I asked you to sit, not to look at me with teary eyes."

Appa chuckles and then sips his soju.

"Everything is done. I just need to get the cake I ordered this morning and the baguette as well. Then we have the party ready!"

Aboji smiles as he stirs up the meat curry. It is done already. He kills the fire on the stove and moves to sit by his husband.

"Wow .... It smells really yummy ...."

Luhan is walking to the kitchen with half-closed eyes.

"Luhan, why are you not sleeping already? It is almost eleven."

Appa gives him a half smile while Luhan was just grinning.

"Well, Appa, can you give me 5,000 won, please?"

"What is it for?"

"I wanna buy a present."

Appa's face turns bright.

"You don't have to force yourself. But, if you insist, okay then. Aboji, can you get 5,000 won from my wallet please?"

"Sure!" Aboji nods, smiling to see how cute Luhan is with his father. He gets the money from his wallet and gives it to Luhan.

"Gomawo, Appa, Aboji! Now I can but the present for the Christmas Party at Jongdae's house tomorrow!"

Everyone drops silent.

"Wha ..., what happens?"

"Luhan ..., we are going to have a Christmas Party at our house tomorrow ...." Aboji half-smiles.

"WHAT?! REALLY?!!"

Kyungsoo enters the kitchen, yawning.

"What are you guys doing? It is late already ...."

""Kyungsoo ...." Appa turns to him, smiling nervously. "You don't have any plan for tomorrow evening, do you?"

"Tomorrow? Oh, hehe .... I was invited to Junhong's house tomorrow for a Christmas dinner."

Appa is stunned. Aboji scratches his head.

"Kyungie ...." Luhan whispers to him. "Appa said he would come earlier tomorrow and we would have dinner together ...."

"What?!"

Both of them bite their own lips, glancing nervously at their parents.

"What time will you attend the party?" Appa asks them.

"At five ...." Kyungsoo says.

"Me too ...." Luhan adds.

Appa huffs a sigh but trying to smile.

"No worries then. But please come earlier, alright? I will come home at six tomorrow so we can have a party in the evening."

He turns around and walks into his room, shoulder slumping. "Let's get to sleep. It is late already."

Luhan and Kyungsoo look at each othe worriedly. A moment later, Aboji pats their back.

"It's alright, just try to come home earlier tomorrow, okay? Your Appa will be really happy."

"Ne, Aboji ...." they answer in unison.

 

*   *   *

 

On December 24th, at Jongdae's house

 

"Let's open the presents together!!"

Jongdae's loud voice signals everyone to open the present they have in their hands. Before, they put every present in the box and they made a lottery to decide who would get what. Luhan looks at his side, Jongdae is holding the present he bought. Smiling, he turns his head to the present in his hand.

What will I get?

Luhan unwraps the wrappers and he finds a handkerchief inside.

"Wow, a nice handkerchief!"

"I bought that." Joonmyeon smiles at Luhan, he got a wallet from Sehun.

"Really?"

"Yup. Sorry if it looks to mature. It is still good, isnt it?"

"Indeed! Thanks, Myeonnie!"

Luhan smiles. I will give it to Appa.

"Alright everyone! Let's play a game!"

Luhan, with everyone else, cheers. However, he widens his eyes as he looks up to the clock.

It's been seven. Appa might be waiting for me ....

"Shortie! What are you doing?! Are you playing or not?!"

Luhan turns his head. "What did you say, Sehun?!"

"I asked you whether you were playing or not, Shortie?!"

Luhan smacks Sehun's head, who whines and moves between Joonmyeon and Minho. Everyone laughs and the game begins.

 

"Take care everyone!"

Jongdae stands in front of his door, waving at his friends.

"Thanks, Jongdae! See you later at school!"

Everyone dismisses and returns to their own home. Luhan glances at his watch and frowns, before he starts to run.

"It's been half past eight. Kyungsoo must have been home already, I am the only one who's late."

But just as he comes nears their apartment, a voice calls him.

"Luhan!"

"Kyungsoo!"

"Why are you not home yet?!"

"What about you?! Why do you just get home now?!"

"There was a game in Junhong's house. I couldn't return home back then."

"Me too."

They run until they arrive at their front door. Panting, Luhan presses the door bell.

No one opens it.

"It's weird." Kyungsoo says.

"Appa must have not gone home yet." Luhan sneered.

"Appa probably is still in the office. He might be in a meeting now or probably is in the manhwa-maker's house, nagging their script."

Kyungsoo takes the key from his pocket and opens the door.

"Gosh! It is total darkness!" Kyungsoo sighs.

"I knew it would end up like this! Damn! I ran here all the way and this is what I got!" Luhan scoffs, upset.

"It's okay. Let's just eat the curry Appa made last night." Kyungsoo walks to the switch.

"Ne ...."

Click.

They freeze under the light, shocked. They are standing in the kitchen, in front of their dining table which is full of the delicious-looking food: Beef Curry, sliced Baguette, wine, juice, and white cake with fruit topping on it. They were four empty plates on the table along with four empty glasses. On the side of two of the plates are two neat presents with two labels on it: Luhan and Kyungsoo.

Luhan and Kyungsoo look at each other.

"APPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!"

Luhan runs to their bedroom while Kyungsoo runs to the other room, frantically screaming for their father.

"I can't find him!" Luhan whines.

"He is not anywhere." Kyungsoo groans.

Both of them picture the same thing in their mind. Appa must be somewhere outside right now. It is cold and he is walking down the street in broken heart.

"Ma, maybe Appa came home for a while, then he returned to his office again." Luhan bites his lip.

"I'll call his office then."

Kyungsoo takes the phone and dials Appa's office number.

"Hello, editor section here."

"Hello, I am the son of Zhang-ssi. Is he at the office at the moment?"

"Well, your father has returned home this afternoon. He has worked very late lately, so he could get home quick this afternoon."

Both their faces turn pale.

"Oh, I see. Okay then.  Thank you so much. Happy Christmas."

"Happy Christmas."

Kyungsoo put the phone down, eyeing Luhan. His brother just looks as desperate as he does now.

"What should we do now, Kyungsoo ...?"

 

Luhan and Kyungsoo walk out of the store. It was the last place they tried to find Appa in, with no result. Luhan heaves a sigh.

"Where did Appa go?"

He rubs his hands together. He forgets to wear the gloves. He eyes Luhan, who has been very quiet all the time.

"Luhan ...."

"It is snowing now, Kyungie ...."

Luhan feels heavy in his chest. He pulls Luhan's arm.

"Come one, let's wait for him at home."

"It is all my fault ...."

"What?"

Appa said he would go home at six. If only I had returned home sooner ...."

Luhan's eyes are glassy now. Kyungsoo sighs again.

"I know. It is my fault too. We should have trusted him."

A family passes them. They look really happy together, the parents hold their little girl on both hands.

"Gomawo, Appa, Eomma! The present is really great!"

Tears flow on Luhan's cheek now. Kyungsoo feels like crying too, but he has to appear strong in front of his brother.

"Come on, let's just go home."

Luhan doesn't say anything but walking by Kyungsoo's side. Just as they want to step forward, they spot something familiar on their front.

Two men holding hands together, laughing at something. They look really happy together. One of them tells something and the other one hugs his arm, laying his head on the other one's shoulder.

It's Appa and Aboji.

They stop laughing as they see Luhan and Kyungsoo watching them. Smiling, they approach their sons.

"Is the party over already?" Appa asks.

"You both are here to pick us, aren't you?" Aboji smiles.

"What are you two doing here?" Luhan grits his teeth.

"Aboji called me before, asking me to have a drink in a cafe. After that, he buys me a Christmas present. See?"
Appa stretches his fingers, showing them couple ring. Aboji also holds his finger in the air.

"I still think it is too young for us, Aboji."

"No. I think it is cute, Appa."

They two smile at each other, blood rising to their cheeks. They stare at each other, feeling content with themselves.

"IT'S COLD HERE! I WANNA GO HOME!"

"ME TOO!"

Both Luhan and Kyungsoo turn around and start walking fast. They are fumed to see how happy their parents are. How could they not think that they have made their kids worried to death already?

However ....

"The problem is over, but I am starving." Kyungsoo halts Luhan.

Croaaakkk ....

"Me too ...." Luhan touches his tummy. He sighs then walks back to his parents.

"Appa, Aboji! Come on! Go home quickly!"

"Why so fast, Luhan? It is snowing beautifully now."

Luhan rolls his eyes and says sharp words to Appa. Appa cringes before he pokes Luhan's head with his finger. Luhan whines and clings to Aboji, who is laughing together with Kyungsoo.

They are at home already, sitting at the table. The food has been heated up and they are chewing the food while talking and laughing. Once they finished, they cut the cake and eat it while unwrapping their Christmas gift. Snow is coming down the Earth that night, cold, but their home is just very warm, very, very warm.

 

*   *   *


September 20, 2014

 

So, the first story is up! Enjoy! The story will be in the format of drabbles, so each chapter will randomly tell about something. See you on the next chap! Waiting for your comments! :)

 

Schandelierre