5.5k words & 12 pages later...

butterfly.

Every day, Junmyeon wakes up to Jongdae sleeping by his side, the other’s thin arms draped over his half toned stomach. He watches Jongdae sleep for exactly seven minutes before the other wakes up and gives him a sleepy smile. Junmyeon smiles back and gives Jongdae a morning kiss, morning breath and all. Jongdae always groans during the kiss, but he accepts it nonetheless.

That’s how Junmyeon’s usual mornings are. Today is a little different.

Today, Junmyeon is woken up with light pats on his right cheek and an added weight a top his chest. The little, slightly plump fingers drum against his skin gently, but with its rhythmic beating, the patting becomes a nuisance to Junmyeon. Annoyed, Junmyeon mumbles ‘stop it, Jongdae’ before attempting to fall back to sleep.

Pat, pat, pat. “Daddy.” Pat, pat, pat.  “Daddy,” a voice calls out to Junmyeon. Junmyeon groans before slowly opening his eyes. He rubs his eyes with his fists before meeting the sight of his daughter, Aesook. His little girl beams down at him with the same cat-like grin she inherited from her other father.

“Hi, daddy. You’re awake!” Aesook squeals, arms out in a celebratory stretch. Next to Junmyeon, Jongdae shifts a little in his sleep. Aesook takes that as a queue to lower her arms, voice and smile. Junmyeon stares at his daughter with sleepy eyes for a few moments before murmuring, “Baby, why are you on daddy?” Instantly, Aesook’s eyes and smile light up again.

“Because it’s time to go to the park to see Uncle Chanyeol and Uncle Baekhyun!” she whispers with excitement. The park date isn’t until noon and by the fact that the room is dimly lit, Junmyeon knows it’s only about 6 AM. Grunting, Junmyeon pulls Aesook off his chest and lays her in between himself and Jongdae.

“Daddy, why aren’t we getting ready for the park? I wanna see Ara!” Aesook pouts. Junmyeon shushes her and kisses his daughter’s forehead.

“We can see them later. Let’s go to sleep now, ok baby?” Junmyeon murmurs. Aesook nods but doesn’t let her frown fall from her lips. It does when Junmyeon kisses the crown of her head. “Goodnight, baby.”

“Goodnight, daddy.”

Once little snores are being heard next to him, Junmyeon eventually falls back asleep only to be woken up a few minutes later by a tugging on his left arm dangling off the bed. It doesn’t take a second for Junmyeon to know perpetrator is. With tired eyes, Junmyeon lifts a small body off the floor. In a short span of time, Aesook had managed to scoot closer to Jongdae and cuddle with her other father, so Junmyeon leads the body onto the bed next to him.

“What is it, Sehunnie?” Junmyeon asks his son, who has suddenly let go of his small brown teddy bear to hug his father. Words don’t have to be exchanged for Junmyeon to understand his son. After kissing the boy’s forehead, Junmyeon falls asleep in Sehun’s embrace.

-

Breakfast smells amazing, Chanyeol notes, as he leaves the restroom with wet hair and a fresh shirt and sweatpants. As he enters the kitchen, his family is already sitting at the table, minus Baekhyun, who’s still cooking pancakes. Two pairs of eyes watch Chanyeol enter the room from the hall, but only one seems excited to see the tall male.

“Good morning, daddy!” Ara, his daughter, greets cheerfully. A smile graces Chanyeol’s lips and he makes his way over to the five year old.

“Morning, Ara,” Chanyeol greets back, kissing his daughter’s crown. Next to Ara is the Parks’ teenage son, Jongin, who’s busy texting on his phone. “Morning, Jongin.” Jongin isn’t paying attention to his father, but a wet, kiss to the temple is enough to draw Jongin out of his texting zone.

“Dad, I’m fourteen. Stop it with the kisses, will ya?” Jongin groans, wiping away his father’s leftover saliva. Chanyeol just smirks at his eldest child before making his way over to his husband at the stove. Once there, he wraps his arms securely around the slim waist.

“Good morning, Baekhyun.” A soft peck is left of the short man’s nape and he giggles.

“Good morning, my love.” The smaller male, Baekhyun, turns around to give Chanyeol a quick morning kiss then back around to check up on the remaining pancakes on the griddle.

Once breakfast is made, Baekhyun and Chanyeol join their children at the table and eat. The four enjoy their meal in a silence, save for Jongin’s phone going off every few seconds. After what Chanyeol counts as the 14th buzz, he puts his knife and fork down and gazes sternly at his oldest child.

“Jongin, who on earth keeps texting you?” By now, Baekhyun and Ara have stopped eating as well. The three eye Jongin, who’s slowly chewing a mouthful of pancake. After a few munches, the teen gulps down the cooked batter, gently places his cutlery down on his almost empty plate, then wipes his mouth with a napkin. He quickly wipes his hands as well before pulling his phone out from his pocket. Baekhyun raises his brow at his son’s actions. Since was Jongin ever this polite?

Jongin doesn’t even have to unlock his phone before his phone starts buzzing again. The screen lights up with a rather familiar name and Jongin’s heart swells with joy. The wideness of Jongin’s smile is enough for Chanyeol and Baekhyun to know who’s texting their son.

“Hey, dad, you and Pops don’t have anything special planned today, right?” Jongin asks, skimming down his phone with a smile. Chanyeol furrows his eyebrows to think about his answer.

“Actually, Ara has a playdate with Sehun and Aesook today, so we’ll be off to the park. Why? What do you plan on doing?”

“Kyungsoo invited me over to watch over Mari today. Can I help him out?” Jongin asks hopefully, looking back between his fathers. To add even more effect, Jongin sticks out his lower lip a little. He knows it’s Baekhyun’s weakness, so while staring straight into his smaller father’s eyes, Jongin sticks his lower lip out even further. Chanyeol senses his son’s strategy but doesn’t say anything. He just waits for Baekhyun to take the trap with amused eyes.

“I guess it’s ok if you do,” Baekhyun says uneasily at first. Across from him, Jongin stands from his seat in triumph. He quickly unlocks his phone and types a reply to Kyungsoo. “But,” Jongin groans and Chanyeol smirks. “If I hear from the Lee’s that you and Kyungsoo were caught making out or doing other activities, your phone is mine and you will be grounded for a whole week.” By the end of his father’s threat, Jongin is blushing furiously and he stops typing on his phone momentarily.

“Kyungsoo and I weren’t going to do anything like that! We’re only 14! Come on, Pops, we aren‘t even together!” Chanyeol finds his son’s blush quite adorable and he laughs. Off to his side, Ara finds the conversation boring and invests her time into eating an apple slice.

“I know, Jongin, I know. But your father and I were teenagers once too and—”

“Ew, Pops. Please don’t tell one of yours and dad’s weird teenage escapades,” Jongin moans. Now it’s Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s turn to blush.

Jongin’s phone rings shortly afterwards and he dismisses himself from the table to answer the call. Baekhyun and Chanyeol are left behind with Ara, faces still flushed red. Once Ara notices her brother’s disappearance into his bedroom, she peeks up at her parents with curious eyes.  They’re staring at each other oddly and Ara frowns. She notices the tips of her father’s ears and the crimson color reminds the child of something she’s seen before, but can’t quite remember what. She decides to dismiss the thought but it’s brought up again when she picks up another apple slice off her plate. She grins widely and holds the apple up like a sword.

“Appa, look! My apple is the same color as Daddy’s ears!” As Ara beams in happiness, Baekhyun laughs whole-heartedly and Chanyeol’s ears redden further.

-

The nervousness creeps inside Jongin’s skin as he rings the doorbell to Kyungsoo’s house. His best friend only lived two doors down and the Lee’s lived across the street from the Park’s. A few minutes ago, Kyungsoo agreed on picking Jongin up, but Jongin wanted to surprise the slightly older boy by picking him up instead. As Jongin debates whether to ring the bell again, he swings back and forth on the balls of his feet. Eventually, he decides to ring the bell once more, but the door suddenly swings open, a raven haired male coming into view.

“Oh, hello, Jongin.”

“Hi, Mr. Kim. Is Kyungsoo ready to go?” Jongin asks. He gets a chuckle in return.

“Jongin, how many times do I have to tell you to just call me Minseok hyung?” The raven haired male, Minseok, says. Jongin smiles shyly and scratches the back of his head. “Come on in. Soo’s still in the shower. He should be done in a few.” Minseok steps aside and lets the teenager inside his home.

Even though Jongin’s been in the Kim’s home quite a few times, he lets Minseok lead him to the living room before the older male shuffles back into the kitchen. Obeying Minseok’s suggestion, Jongin makes himself comfortable by sitting on the black leather sofa, choosing to watch TV. Jongin’s not a stranger in the house, but he decides to leave the channel on the local news, a rumor about the new iPhone 6 catching his attention.  

A few minutes after Jongin has been waiting for Kyungsoo, there’s some slight shuffling coming down the stairs. The sound gets Jongin’s attention and he turns around to catch the culprit.

“Minseok, have you seen my—” The figure arriving down comes to a halt at the bottom of the stairs once their attention gazes on Jongin. “Oh, good morning, Jongin.” A honey blond male welcomes.

“Morning, Mr. Lu,” Jongin greets.

“Jongin, it’s Luhan hyung,” the honey blond male scoffs playfully. “Are you waiting on Kyungsoo?”

“Yeah. We’re watching over Mari today.” Jongin responds.

“Oh, in that case, have fun!” Luhan says with a smile before entering the kitchen. Jongin chuckles to himself once he sees the limp Luhan bares as he walks away.

After Minseok makes himself a latte, he and Luhan join Jongin in the living room, where a comfortable silence surrounds them. With the local news on commercial, Luhan changes the channel to a strange animated cartoon with a green character and a purple car with razor fangs. The program looks interesting, so Luhan decides to leave the channel.

“Dad!” a soothing voice, in Jongin’s opinion, calls out.

“Which one?” both Minseok and Luhan call out simultaneously. Jongin chuckles and heavy steps emerge from the top of the stairs.

“Sorry, appa. I was calling for baba,” the voice from before says, hastily making his way down the stairs. His hair is disheveled and a few buttons on his button up are undone, but Jongin doesn’t say anything. He’s too mesmerized by how beautiful the male looks. However, the male seems too interested in talking to his father, he doesn’t acknowledge Jongin’s presence. “Baba, do you think my outfit looks ok? I kinda wanted to look good for—” The male’s eyes widen in slight fright at the sound of a throat clearing. His eyes find purchase in Jongin and his eyes widen further. “J-Jongin.”

Jongin, who may have been a little too dense for Minseok and Luhan’s liking, grins at his best friend. “Hey, Soo!” Before him, Kyungsoo’s face turns redder than his hair and he turns away to button up his shirt. Jongin’s smile falters and Minseok and Luhan could only shake their heads in disapproval at the scene.

After Kyungsoo fixes his outfit and hair, Luhan is immediately pushing the two out the house, suspiciously a little bit too eager. Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything and neither does Jongin. For someone so dense, at least Jongin knows the reasoning behind Luhan’s zeal.

“Bye kids, have fun!” Luhan says, before kissing Kyungsoo’s temple. Luhan lets Minseok say his goodbyes to the children before slamming the door in their faces. The duo flinches at the sound and take that as a queue to head off to the Lee’s.

-

As soon as the front door to the Lee household opens up to reveal Jongin and Kyungsoo, Mari is instantly running to her favorite babysitters.

“Jongin oppa! Kyungsoo oppa!” the delighted six year old squeals. It’s been about two weeks since their last sitting and Mari can’t wait to have another tea party with her oppas. Unsure of who to hug first, Mari ends up hugging both Kyungsoo and Jongin, who have crouched down to reach her height.

“Hi, Mari! How’s my favorite little girl doing today?” Jongin asks with a big smile on his face. He ruffles the little girl’s hair and she squawks in protest, but her smile radiates nonetheless. Picking Mari up, Jongin and Kyungsoo greet Mari’s father and step inside.

“I’m sure you have both mine and my husband’s numbers in your phone, so feel free to call us if Mari’s giving you any trouble,” Mari’s father, Donghae, says as he dresses himself in a navy cardigan. Once inside, Mari immediately pulls Jongin towards her toy kitchen set up at the other end of the living room. Jongin looks to Kyungsoo for help, but his best friend only smiles at him.

“First aid kit’s in the bathroom cabinet and any snacks and other foods are in the kitchen. If Hyukjae and I aren’t home by eight, please put Mari to bed for us. Anything else, just call me or my husband,” Donghae reminds Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo nods and replies, “No problem, hyung. Jongin and I will take care of Mari.” Donghae gives him a smile. “Thank you, Kyungsoo.”

-

After Donghae and Hyukjae leave for their day long date, Mari decides to throw a tea party, inviting Kyungsoo, Jongin, and Mr. Fluffikins, a large stuffed bunny, to the party. Mari holds themes for every one of her tea parties and today’s theme is superpowers. She ends up giving Jongin the ability to teleport (“Because oppa runs really fast and it looks like he’s going poof!”) and Kyungsoo, earth (“Oppa likes Toff from Avatar like me!”). With the superpower idea being Mari’s, she decides to give herself every single power she knows of, ranging from fire to light, to water and thunder.

 Eventually after Jongin’s fourth invisible cupcake, Mari calls the tea party over and Kyungsoo suggests they watch a movie.  Unfortunately, both Jongin and Mari fight over what to watch (Jongin wants Pororo, Mari squeals to watch Tangled), so Kyungsoo just sits back and observes the children before him. As Jongin tries to explain to Mari how amazing Pororo is, Kyungsoo notices the other male’s phone buzzing at the end of the couch. Curious, Kyungsoo makes a grab at the phone and unlocks the device to answer the incoming call.

“Hello?”

“Kyungsoo?”  Kyungsoo recognizes the voice as Jongin’s father, Baekhyun.

“Hello hyung!”

“How’s babysitting going?”

“Oh, it’s going great. Jongin and Mari are going at it like little kids at what to watch next,” Kyungsoo answers. As he awaits Baekhyun’s response, he observes the children in front of him. Jongin’s doing a rather poor attempt of aegyo towards Mari and the little girl hides her face in disgust and embarrassment. Kyungsoo shakes his head with a smile.

“Say, if the kids aren’t getting along, how about you three join me, Chanyeol and Ara at the park? It’s just a fifteen minute walk from home.” Kyungsoo bits his lower lip, contemplating on which option to choose before Baekhyun adds, “Jongdae and Junmyeon will be here and I know you’ve been dying to talk to Junmyeon about helping out at his bakery,” the older male sings. Kyungsoo wants to deny the offer, but when he sees Mari ready to throw some cookies at Jongin, he jumps up from his spot on the couch and says, “We’ll be there. See you soon, hyung!”

-

“I’ll race you to the swings, daddy!” Aesook screams as she runs towards the playground, throwing her spring cardigan on the floor in process. Behind her, Junmyeon sets down an ice chest on the ground near the park table and runs after his daughter. “Aesook! Don’t run! It’s dangerous!” Jongdae finds the scene humorous as he comes towards the table, Sehun’s tiny hand interlaced with his. With amused eyes, Jongdae watches as his husband finally catches up with their daughter. Aesook laughs at her father as she sways back and forth on the swings. From where he sits, Jongdae can hear his daughter’s giggles and cries of “Daddy is too slow!” and it brings a smile on his face.

Sehun eventually joins Aesook and Junmyeon at the playground a few minutes later, leaving Jongdae alone at the table. He’s about ten pages within his book when he hears footsteps. The sound draws Jongdae out of his reading and he looks up and is faced with a rather wide and creepy grin.

“Chanyeol, close your mouth. The sun’s bright enough already,” Jongdae complains, blocking his view of the tall brunet playfully. It earns him a laugh from the taller before he sets off towards the playground, carrying Ara in his arms. Baekhyun joins Jongdae at the table and together, the two watch their kids and husbands play tag.

-

Kyungsoo, Jongin and Mari take longer than necessary when it came to arriving at the park. Jongin had decided to stop by for ice cream along the way, so by the time they reach the park, everyone is eating. When she spots Ara and Aesook, Mari is running towards them, slipping her hand away from Jongin’s.

“Ara! Aesook! I’m here!” Jongin and Kyungsoo laugh at the little girl as they trail behind her, melted ice cream cones abandoned in the nearby trashcan. They greet everyone as they approach the table, even Yifan from across the street, his son Zitao and his dimpled husband. Having been full from all the ice cream, Kyungsoo denies the plate of chicken Junmyeon offers him, but as soon as he hears the word ‘chicken’ escape Junmyeon’s lips, Jongin accepts the offer and devours the plate right before Kyungsoo’s eyes. Baekhyun is quick to offer his son his unfinished pieces of chicken.

Once lunch is over, Jongdae and Junmyeon take the kids to the playground while Baekhyun and Chanyeol, along with Kyungsoo, Jongin, Yifan and his husband, start a game of basketball. To be fair, everyone has accepted splitting up from their significant other (“Kyungsoo and I are just friends, dad!”). It becomes a competitive game between Jongin’s team, consisting of Chanyeol and Yifan’s husband and Kyungsoo’s team of Baekhyun and Yifan.

They decide to play until twenty points. It’s a tie before the winning point and Chanyeol has the ball. He successfully dribbles the ball away from Yifan, easily passes Kyungsoo and is about to pass the ball to Jongin but behind Jongin is Baekhyun and he distracts Chanyeol by unknowingly lifting his shirt to wipe off the sweat on his forehead. Chanyeol halts at the sight and stares at his husband, nearly drooling, before Yifan snatches the ball away from Chanyeol and scores. Chanyeol’s left dumbfounded as he watches Baekhyun, Yifan and Kyungsoo celebrate their win. Jongin shakes his head in disapproval before walking away from his father.

-

It’s time to leave and everyone goes their separate ways. Jongin bids his parents goodbye and ruffles Ara’s hair before heading back to Kyungsoo and Mari, who are blowing dandelions on the fields.  A few feet away from the two, Jongin stays in place and sees them smile and giggle before noticing a butterfly fluttering towards the duo. Mari is the first one to notice the insect and squeals in delight. Jongin watches in amusement as the little girl tries running after the creature while Kyungsoo chuckles to himself. As Jongin watches the scene unfold, he can’t stop staring at Mari chase after the butterfly. It’s adorable, how one could be so fascinated with a single thing and Jongin finds himself smiling wider at Kyungsoo’s cute reactions towards Mari.

Jongin’s heart races when he spots Kyungsoo’s signature heart shaped lips appear. The smile is paired with a soft expression and even though the sun has started to set, Jongin feels the sun seems to shine brighter on Kyungsoo. Suddenly Jongin is hit with a realization. It hits him so hard he feels his heart stopping momentarily inside his chest. At the same time, it seems the butterfly has flown away but none of that matters to Jongin. All that matters is the butterfly fluttering in front of him as he slowly makes his way towards Mari to comfort her. He watches his butterfly hold Mari in his arms before smiling at the girl and taking her hand in his. His butterfly calls his name afterwards and Jongin meets his eyes. It’s then that Jongin comes to understand that he’s got his own butterfly, one that he doesn’t want to flutter away.

-

Donghae and Hyukjae are home by the time the trio arrives at the Lee household. It seems the couple had gone grocery shopping and Mari, who was asleep, now munches on a butterfly shaped cookie as she watches TV from Hyukjae’s lap. Donghae offers Kyungsoo and Jongin some cookies before they leave and once again, Kyungsoo denies the offer. Jongin, however, stares at the insect-shaped cookie for a few moments then looks up at Kyungsoo. The familiar feeling in his chest returns and with no option, Jongin chooses to take a cookie. (He ends up choosing a red butterfly, since the color attracts him the most.)

Mari gives Kyungsoo and Jongin joint hugs before sending them out the door. Hyukjae thanks the boys once again and bids them goodnight before closing the door on them.

Jongin and Kyungsoo end up walking back to Kyungsoo’s house, a nice silence between the two. While Kyungsoo has his hands in his pockets, Jongin’s hands are busy holding onto the cookie. He’s looking back and forth between Kyungsoo and the cookie and Jongin can’t seem to stop thinking of how much the color on the cookie resembles Kyungsoo’s scorching hair. Another realization knocks the air out of Jongin’s lungs and he nearly collapses, saved by Kyungsoo with worried eyes. They stumble the rest of the way to the Park household.

Kyungsoo awkwardly asks for Jongin’s condition as they finally reach the front door of the Park’s home. Jongin coughs embarrassed back and excuses his actions. Albeit a bit hesitant, Kyungsoo takes Jongin’s words and mumbles ‘goodnight’ to Jongin before he’s off. Noticing the half broken cookie in his palm, Jongin calls Kyungsoo’s name. The red head looks at him with concern.

“Yes?”

Unable to take anymore of the feeling in his chest, Jongin runs the small distance to Kyungsoo and pries the smaller boy’s palm open. Kyungsoo isn’t sure what’s going on, but watches Jongin. Once Jongin puts the cookie in Kyungsoo’s palm, he frowns. Before Kyungsoo could complain about the sprinkles in his hand, Jongin cuts him off.

“Kyungsoo, thanks for being my butterfly and never fluttering away,” Jongin says breathlessly.

“What—”

“From the first time I saw you in preschool, I’ve always felt this attraction towards you, like a little kid who’s fascinated with a butterfly.” Jongin pictures Mari at the park in his head and smiles. “You’re just this amazing person in my life so thank you for always being there for me and never fluttering away.” The confusion on Kyungsoo’s face never leaves, but there is a blush on the male’s cheeks that’s redder than his hair.

“Jongin—”

“Ilikeyoukyungsoogoodnight,” Jongin blurts and kisses Kyungsoo’s forehead. Kyungsoo’s eyes widen at the sweet gesture and he freezes, blush spreading all over his face. He doesn’t get to say anything to Jongin because the boy has ran off inside his house, leaving a madly blushing Kyungsoo and a broken cookie behind.

-

jfc this took me 5ever oTL

tbh, i started writing this back in august and it’s almost october oops sorry i know. i totally blew it. i’m sorry if i didn’t live up to your expectations u____u i really did try my best.

some facts you might or might not be interested in:

  • everyone is in their early-mid 30’s (minus the kids and kaisoo)
  • all my otp’s make an appearance in this one shot, including xiuhan, jongkey and eunhae (kray if u squint extra hard) lma0 sorry not even sorry
  • this whole fic is actually a bunch of randumb drabbles thrown together. every time there’s a dash that separates into another part of the story, it’s actually another drabble.
  • the three fictional little girls are actually based on me and my friends. ara is based off of myself, aesook is aishah and korinne is mari.
  • yes, i do believe i am baekyeol’s daughter and that i came out of baekhyun’s . y e o l o
  • i wrote three additional drabbles wooT surprise, surprise
  • if you have any questions, tweet me @bakyurl c:
  • p.s. yes, it was the domestic!suchen and baekyeol with the kaisoo babysitting prompts lmao