chapter five

Warrior

w  a  r  r  i  o  r | {05} 


2 Weeks Later

Yixing put his jump rope down as he gathered the boys. “Tell me if I’m wrong, but aren’t they so weird?”

“Who? Noona and Zitao?” Sehun asked.

Yixing nodded. “Aren’t they?”

Sehun thought about the time he went over to Miyeon’s house. “Well, kinda.”

Luhan rolled his eyes. “They’re hitting it off quite well, don’t break the bond guys. I haven’t seen her like that…ever.”

Chanyeol looked at everyone uncomfortably. “You shouldn’t be talking about them behind their backs like that.” He mumbled.

Sehun looked up. “Is something wrong?”

Luhan turned around. “Chanyeol, come here.”

Yixing leaned over and grabbed him, sitting him down. “You’ve been so gloomy these days.”

“Every since I told you about Zitao and noona.” Sehun commented.

“I guess I’m just kinda annoyed that she opened up to Zitao so quickly but when it came to us, she didn’t tell us anything. We got here first.”

Yixing wrinkled his nose. “Are you jealous that Miyeon’s secrets are known by Zitao but not us?”

“What else?” Luhan shook his head. “Secrets are meant to be private, that’s why we don’t know about it. We still don’t know why she chose a sport like this. I mean, how many women are willing to be like her? Is there anyone else like her that you know? She never wears skirts, dresses, and you’ve only seen her make up less, in shorts and a sports bra. Her hair’s always tied up and she’d rather strangle someone than go to a ball or somethin’. Miyeon is something else.”

Sehun chuckled. “She’s an interesting person.”

“We know Chanyeol, we know that there’s a reason why she’s doing this. And if she doesn’t want anyone else to know, it’s fine.”

“Zitao will.” Chanyeol mumbled.

“So? If he knows then he knows, what’s wrong with that? If he happens to know and Miyeon lets him, there’s nothing wrong with it.” Yixing looked up. “You’ve been a bit weird lately.”

“Miyeon likes Zitao.” Chanyeol said with his voice full of disappointment.

Sehun rolled his eyes. “Gosh, just because Noona changed her hair color, it doesn’t mean it was for him.” He touched his blonde locks of hair. “We do it all the time…you changed your hair last month too!”

Yixing nudged Chanyeol. “Well you gotta admit that she looks nicer in brown hair.”

Luhan eyed the giant. “Park Chanyeol, do you like Miyeon?”

He shakes his head. “I don’t…I’m just jealous that Zitao cracked the code before we did.”

Sehun sprawled out on the floor in frustration. “Aish! Hyung, just because two people are getting along…it doesn’t mean that they like each other. Goodness, it’s just like those articles that are coming out about celebrities these days…People are so quick to assume that a girl and a guy are in love when it’s revealed that they get along well. Zitao and Miyeon hate each other man!”

Luhan nodded. “Y-Yeah! What you see outside is an illusion! They want to rip each other’s livers out here!”

Chanyeol looked up at the ceiling. “She’s a monster here and Zitao too. They want to murder each other here just because the field is where they want to release all of their anger and …guys you don’t have to lie to me; they get along a lot better when they’re out of the training room.”

Yixing scoffed. “Zitao and Miyeon get along well because they are friends. Just like we are friends with her, it’s just that Zitao learns a lot about Miyeon because of the situation he’s in whenever he’s with her. It’s by chance, gosh, Chanyeol you’re all tensed up and over thinking for no reason.”

“Then how’d he know that her father was deaf?” Chanyeol mumbled.

Sehun put his hands up. “Whoa whoa whoa, before this whole thing blows up; Miyeon didn’t know until about a month ago too okay? I was with them, you knew they never really got along and she found out the same day Zitao found out. When she was sick, he went to her house remember? I was there too.”

Luhan nodded along. “You’re always so tense and annoyed these days, we’re sorry your luck is so bad okay?”

Chanyeol laid on the floor and covered his face. “Life is ironic.” He whispered. “Why isn’t she here anyway?”

“It’s her father’s birthday today…and she’s celebrating it with him and Zitao.”

Chanyeol sat up. “Ah why does he have to be there?”

Sehun pushed him back down. “Calm yourself, he’s their way of communication, okay? He was the one who insisted that she learn sign language and he’s been practicing a lot more than her. Why? Because Miyeon has to train all of us and you know damn well that we’re pricks so she has a lot more to do than Zitao.”

Yixing laughed. “Gosh, let’s get back to work. Sehun, you punk…always talking to your hyungs like that.” He shook his head.

Luhan picked up his weights. “I’ll tell Noona to make you do the 1000 burpees challenge.”

“Hyung!”

Chanyeol scoffed. “Serves you right, little brat.”

 

Miyeon stood in her room, in front of the mirror and practiced over and over again.

“Happy…birthday…dad.” She paused and her arms dropped to the side.

Zitao peeked into the room. “What’s wrong?”

She turned around. “Maybe we shouldn’t do this.” She whispered.

“Why are you scared?”

“I’m not.”

“Miyeon.”

She sighed. “We haven’t talked since…since she left us.” Miyeon said.

“Are you scared that the father daughter relationship you once had disappeared for good?”

Miyeon looked away.

“You remembered his birthday…you remembered what he liked to eat…and where he put all of his things.” Zitao said softly. “The only thing holding yourself back now is you.”

Miyeon looked up.

“He’s waiting…” Zitao said. “You were the one that asked if we could do something…so let’s go.”

Zitao followed after her as she walked down the halls, he could tell how nervous she was; her hands were balled up into a fist as they dangled by her side.

 

On his way out to the living room, he grabbed a box of tissues and stood behind Miyeon.

She stood there for a few minutes, taking a good look at her father. Miyeon noticed how well he aged, his tired eyes had a twinkle in them and his hair grayed over the years.

“Miyeon…” Zitao said quietly.

 

Her voice trembled. Miyeon felt guilty, looking at her pitiful father whom she ignored for nearly ten years. “I…I can’t do it.” She whispered.

Zitao stood behind her and held her hands. He helped her sign the first few words before letting go and watched as she finished the rest.

 

Happy birthday, dad. I missed you.

 

And to that, her father responded slowly with shaky hands as well.

 

I missed you too, my daughter. 


[a/n]: happy holidays! 
Comments are much appreciated !