chapter one

Warrior

w  a  r  r  i  o  r | {01} 


"What? Why? But the semester's not even over yet and my kids..." Zitao looked up at his boss. "Kris...you should've told me earlier. What exactly is the opportunity you're taking about anyway?"

The older chuckled. "Aw don't freak, I know the semester isn't over yet and your kids haven't earned their black belt but there's only two more months left, I can finish training them, it's no big deal." Kris said. "Don't worry about it, this is your only chance to meet Miyeon, you have to go." 

"Who's Miyeon again?"

"She's a MMA fighter in training and the gym she goes to is offering classes, they called me a few days ago asking if we had anyone who would like to meet and train with her." Kris said. "Planet Fit, it's down a few blocks on the left from our place...She's been going there since she was twelve, she's turning twenty in a few weeks and when she's twenty-one, she'll have her first official fight. You got a year with her, it'll be an honor!" 

Zitao pressed his lips into a firm line before sighing. "How do you know so much about her?" 

Kris looked up. "I asked about her of course, she's been coming up in the sports section a lot in the paper, you guys are the same age...you don't have many friends your age whom you share a common interest with, you love martial arts...and so does she, come on Zitao." 

The younger sat down undefeated, it was a great opportunity but he loved teaching his class and it's been that way for about a year now. His family doesn't like the fact that he didn't go to college, they don't even support him as a martial artist. His father enrolled him into karate class  when he was younger as an extracurricular activity, except he wasn't supposed to love it that much.

Kris reached into his pocket for a business card. "I met with the owner of the gym yesterday, he's a great guy...Kim Minseok." He handed the card to Zitao. "So, what do you think?"

"I don't know, I just settled down...found a job I like and...it's only been a short year." 

"I'm not firing you or anything! Sheesh!I just want you to take a break for a little while and have some fun, training with a MMA fighter? How often do you get an opportunity like that?"

Zitao nodded. "Right." He said softly.

"I'll finish your semester off for you, I'll explain to the kids and I'm sure they will understand so go and join...they're only accepting a few people." Kris said. 

"Thanks man." 

Kris patted his shoulder. "No problem." 

 

The next day 

Zitao grabbed his bag and took one last peek in the mirror, his dark hair fell over his eyes. "...Maybe Kris was right." He mumbled. "Maybe blonde would suit me." he said quietly before leaving his house. 

On his way out, he could hear his parents in the living room. They were watching the news with his little sister, ZiYin. 

 

"Mom look! That's Miyeon, isn't she so cool?" The teenager pointed towards the screen. "Look, mom, look...she's the youngest MMA fighter...well, soon to be MMA fighter."

"That's great honey, she must be so strong."

Zitao rolled his eyes. How could his parents be proud of other fighters but not him? 

 

He stood by the kitchen and sighed as he poured himself a cup of water. At times like this, a voice in the back of his head told him that he failed his parents; his father was a professor and his mother was a elementary school teacher. His parents wished he took on their passions and taught at a school or something.

Zitao's father often said that the best gift was the gift of education, he loved teaching kids who were so eager to learn so when Zitao told him that he wanted to be a martial artist, the bond between them went down the drain. 

 

ZiYin turned around. "Ge!" She smiled. "Where ya going?" 

Zitao smiled back, his little sister was the only one who stayed by his side. She didn't even care that he wasn't a teacher, she respected his own dreams and told him to do whatever he wanted as long as it made him happy.

"Me? I'm going to work with Kim Miyeon." Zitao said.

"No seriously." The fifteen year old turned around completely when she heard her role model's name. 

"I'm taking a break from teaching the kids starting from today, Kris hooked me up with an opportunity to work with Miyeon at planet fit." Zitao said. "Do you want to come?" 

ZiYin stood up. "Can I really?" 

Zitao nodded. "I'm sure you can eventually meet her, but maybe next time okay? I'll meet her today and then when we become closer you can meet her." 

ZiYin nodded excitedly. "Have fun! She's amazing!" 

Zitao put his glass down on the counter. "Bye Yin." He said on the way out. "Bye mom and dad." He said dryly as always. 

 

He walked down the block and waited for the sign to change, he could see Planet Fit's giant logo just a few blocks away. "Kim Miyeon." Zitao said. "How come I never heard of her?" He asked himself. 

 

He walked in minutes later and looked around. "Hello?" The front desk was deserted. 

Then a man came out. "Good morning, how can I help you?"

"I'm Zitao." 

"Oh I'm Minseok, I own this place...you must work with Kris, he used to come here every day before he opened his own fitness center." Minseok smiled brightly. "You must be here for Miyeon." 

Zitao nodded. "Y-Yeah." 

"She said she was only going to accept one person." Minseok lead the way. "That's why I didn't bother advertising it, the other trainees and fighters are taking in about five or six people each." 

"Yes, I saw the sign outside but I didn't see Miyeon in the picture."

Minseok nodded. "Tons of people are signing up for it, we've been throwing out the Miyeon applications because she's already booked with you." He smiled. "Kris was a great customer in the pass, he came even when times were tough...so I thought I'd repay him in a way by making this opportunity exclusive for his company." 

"Ah, I see." 

Minseok pointed to the door. "She should be in there with a few of my trainers, she's one of the only girls in this center but don't be fooled, she's a tough one!" 

"Alright, thanks!"

"Enjoy, okay?" 

 

Zitao stepped into the room just to see a bunch of other guys already warming up. 

"Miyeon, I think he's here." 

Zitao looked around to see everyone stop what they were doing. He looked across the room to see a girl wrestling a guy, she loosened her choke hold and turned around. 

"Who?" 

Minseok peeked into the room. "Miyeon!" 

She stood up and ran towards her boss. "Yes?" 

"This is Zitao, he'll be training with you, he's been doing martial arts since he was..."

"Five." Zitao finished his sentence off. 

Minseok nodded. "So it's been around fifteen years, anyway he will be working with you. Introduce yourselves before continuing okay?" 

 

"I'm Sehun." The tallest out of all of them stepped forward and bowed.

"Hey man, I'm Luhan." 

"Park Chanyeol!" 

​"And I'm Yixing." 

Zitao nodded his head and bowed as well. "Huang Zitao." 

 

Then the boys stepped aside as Miyeon came through. 

Her long black hair contrasted well against her pale skin. She pulled off her boxing gloves before extending her arm.

 

"I'm Miyeon, Kim Miyeon."