Chapter 2

Home Of The Lost: Below Paradise

"I have never experienced love." The cup of tea in her hand was getting colder by each second. Looking down, she let a small smile escape her lips. As if it was from exhaustion rather than sadness, Jenny gave a soft sigh. "Love is messy. It's not something suitable for a person like me." As if she believed herself for the millionth time, her heart skipped a beat for the last time, before returning back to normal.

The woman in a white coat in front of her sighed, nodding softly. "How about friends?" Jenny looked up and sighed. Dr. Yang smiled softly. "Come on, you must have at least one friend." 

"How are you feeling?" Kris sat next to Jenny's bed, observing her as she read a book. "I am busy." She muttered softly as she turned another page. "That's nice. I am not." He chuckled as she ignored him again, pulling her book closer, hiding her face.

Kris' smile stayed and as he relaxed on his chair, he let out a long yawn. "I had a rough day today. Depression, Anxiety disorders, woah! I can't wait to help those people. Do you imagine how happy will they be after they recover?" Jenny didn't answer.

The room was quiet as well as the usually busy hallway. It was eight in the evening and Kris' shift had just ended. Even though his body was screaming in exhaustion, he stayed on his spot, determined to make her smile at least.

"I had a bunny when I was little." Ignoring Jenny's judgmental stare, Kris pressed his chin onto his palm. "It was named Fluffy, get it? Because he was fluffy?" Jenny snorted softly, quickly covering it with an annoyed look on her face. A long pause followed, with Jenny staring at Kris, who in response stared at the ground. A minute went by until Jenny sighed nervously. "And?" She impatiently asked, causing him to look up.

"What?" He asked. "I just told you. I had a bunny." He muttered, receiving a smack from her. "Ya! That hurt!" He chuckled and looked at her, only to find out that she was laughing as well.

"I don't know, he annoys me." The psychiatrist chuckled. "And how does he do that?" Jenny couldn't help but chuckle as well. She didn't even know why she thought about Kris, maybe because he was with her every evening and every morning. Or because he made her smile, even though she never showed it. Or maybe it was just that he was there, she didn't know. 

Dr. Yang stared at her patient as she herself tried to sort her own thoughts. "Tell me about your father." Jenny's eyes narrowed and her smile faded. Observing how her skin turned a paler shade, Dr. Yang stayed in silence. 

"I was unwanted. My father never loved me and treated me so bad." Looking over to her wrist, she sighed. A pause followed. Feeling as her heart started beating faster, Jenny fought back the unpleasant feeling filling her stomach, only to feel weakness. "One time he just grabbed my hand and pressed a knife against it. He said he was marking me, so I could always remember how unworthy I was to life. He said that I was a failure." A tear rolled down her cheek. Jenny chuckled at the irony. "I was only six years old."

"When did your father leave you?" Dr. Yang asked, leaning forward. Jenny took a long pause, acknowledging the environment around her. It was nice, quiet and sunny. She liked it.

"Too late."

"You were seventeen. Am I right?"

"No, that was the first time. The last time he left was when I graduated."

"Why did he leave?"

Jenny gulped. "I threatened to kill him with his own rifle. We requested for a restraining order after that." Her hand automatically covered the white line on her wrist that was supposed to be her scar.

"Have you seen him since then?" Dr. Yang asked and Jenny shook her head.

"I left to Seoul the following week. I haven't came home since."

"You are 27 years old. Does that mean that you haven't gone to the countryside for almost eight years?" Jenny nodded and felt as her heart skipped. "I don't want to go there."

"You don't have to." Dr. Yang smiled as she caught Jenny's gaze. "You are the perfect daughter to a joke of a father. An outstanding person. You are not only worthy for this world, but also should serve as an example to other people." As tears poured down her eyes, Jenny smiled. "And don't you forget it." Dr. Yang handed her a tissue, which Jenny took while nodding her head in agreement.

"You have been here for a week now, but I think that we can discharge you. Come for therapy only and try to brighten your life. You deserve it, okay?" Jenny smiled. It was time to go home.

It had just finished raining. As the sun rose again, the room she stayed in filled with sunshine, smell of fresh water coming from the cracked window over her bed. She packed quickly, as the desire to get out was completely eating her away. Jenny smiled, maybe it was for the better.

"So, leaving?" She found it strange how Kris spoke so suddenly, without the usual stupid joke he had in mind. How did he find out so quickly anyway? Even an hour hasn't passed and here he was. Was he going to say something weird? Or crack another joke?

 Stealing a quick glance at him, she gave him a nod, before returning to her doing. Kris pulled away from her room's door, on which he was leaning on and walked towards her in a slow and hesitant matter. Jenny sighed. He was awfully quiet, which was very unlikely of him. "Do I need to sign something again or?" Closing her bag, she hung it around her shoulder. She was tired of papers and since he had no actual reason to be here, she just assumed that the nurse forgot a paper or something.

Kris smiled sadly. "No, you are free to go." That was good news, if she saw another document, Jenny swore she would scream.

Nodding silently, Jenny walked pass him, leaving Kris in the now empty room. He somehow felt alone in that moment as well, feeling as if some cold wave ran pass him. Feeling the need to go after her, he walked out of the room as well, seeing her walking down the hallway.

"Hey, Jenny!" Kris called out, hoping that she would stop. Jenny looked back at him, waiting for him to continue. As his worried look changed into a soft gaze, Kris smiled again.

"Don't be a stranger, okay?" Seeming more like a plead, his question gave Jenny a warm feeling, instantly causing her to show a small smile.

"Sure."

Three months later.

Even though it was almost midnight, Jenny decided to let it go. He sure would have a decent explanation for his sudden visit.

"Kris, what are you doing here?" Jenny raised her brow as she saw the blond on her doorstep, with luggage next to him. "My girlfriend kicked me out."

Jenny gulped. That was no good answer for her actually important question. "Why are you here?" She asked again nervously, stepping back. Why did she have a bad feeling?

Kris smiled. "Oh, me? I am living with you now!" And somehow those three months of therapy just disappeared.

Passing by her cheerfully, Kris walked into her house and dropped his bags on the floor. Inhaling deeply, he smiled. "Oh, we'll have so much fun together!"

For the past three months Jenny met a friend in Kris' eyes. Even though he was beyond irresponsible at times, freaky, creepy, extremely weird and not to mention of how many girls he dealt with, Jenny found herself slowly trusting him with her feelings and experiences. Sometimes he made her beyond mad, sometimes she would cry from laughter. That was how Kris was, but he didn't mind - he knew he was perfect with her.

But no matter how close they grew in those three months, Jenny felt for the first time in her life that she needed a drink.

A strong one.

To be continued.

 

I kept my promise! I will try to update as much as I can ^^ Do you guys like how the story is going so far? I have only three comments, which is weird for having over 120 subs and 10 upvotes... o.O Anyway! Do you like supernatural stuff? How about EXO? Well, you must like EXO if you are reading this, but... you know. 

"Affection of the Pure" is an awesome story which really impressed me. The author posted it in September and the amount of subscribers and upvotes it received in almost two months is just so well deserved. If you like stories about wolves where love has no rules, then this is the story for you! You can click on the poster to go to the story :3

 

*Not to mention, the author is like my awesomest-st friend. 

Anyway, I hope to hear from you soon! I could update tomorrow... most likely.