Start and Final

One Chance and That's All You Got

Luhan's cafe is swimming with customers. He had only started this cafe last year, with his best friend, Minseok. But it was already booming with business and it doesn't look like the popularity is going to die down anytime soon. Luhan and Minseok are really attractive men and there is no need to say that the reason why there are so many female customers here is because that.

The two friends are serving their customers, Luhan as the cashier and Minseok as the barista. The queue is long but Luhan always faces the customers with a serene smile. And it is always genuine. That is exactly why girls swoon over him. He's hot, he's funny, he's smart, he's genuine. Where else could one find a guy like him? Girls want Luhan, and guys want to be him. He is the epitome of perfection. 

But, of course, there is always a turning point in someone's life. And Luhan's was way over. One would never think this angel was once a devil. One would never think Luhan was capable of breaking girls' hearts after playing with them. One would never think Luhan would even smoke and drink so much to the point of always waking up in the morning with someone he doesn't know. 

And the reason for his change had just walked right towards him without giving the poor guy any chance to escape since he has to serve the customers. 

Luhan feels his throat close, his entire body frozen. He watches her as she scans his face and then her expression immediately brightening with recognition. His mouth goes dry when he sees those lips he kissed so much before turning up into an sweet smile. 

"Luhan!" She exclaims delightfully. Luhan can only return a nervous smile. It's been so many years and yet she still has such an effect on him. "I didn't know you're a barista! I never thought you'd become one..."

She is still as honest as before and Luhan feels like nothing has changed. 

"You've changed so much since the last time I saw you!" 

And he immediately feels like everything has indeed changed. Not her, definitely not her. She is still as talkative, still as truthful, still as beautifully magnificent. But Luhan, himself, has changed. He knows that, of course.

"Why are you so quiet?" She furrows her eyebrows, slightly uncomfortable by how Luhan never said anything. 

"Huh? I'm just... Nervous?" Luhan laughs it off with a nervous laughter, obviously backing up what he had just told her. 

She reaches over the counter and pokes Luhan's arm cheekily, "Is it because of me?"

Everything is because of you. 

 

"You know, Luhan, you shouldn't drink too much. Drink more coffee, that's so much more organic!" She sighed when she felt arms snaking around her waist. His trimmed chest was against her back. 

Luhan had came home drunk and she had to take care of him. And now she was cooking for him, all because she loved him. 

"I do what I want," Luhan breathed into her ear and she sighed again. 

Of course, since when did he ever listened to her? Luhan always played by his own rules, not even his girlfriend would have changed his mind. 

The smell of the coffee she brewed started to waft through the air. It was rich and aromatic, something one could get used to every morning. 

"I wish I have my own cafe, it would be so fun," she mused. 

Luhan nodded, "You would never leave the cafe. And then probably pleasure yourself with the coffee machines."

"Luhan!" She gasped, shocked that he would say such things. 

Luhan guffawed, "I was kidding, doll. Don't have to be so about it... If you get what I mean."

"Jesus!" Luhan loved to see her get annoyed and flustered. He always did things on purpose because it was amusing to watch her go red. 

But that was only just part of the reason why he liked teasing her. Luhan was known to be a playboy. He played and dumped. His longest would usually be three months tops. And right then, she was already his longest with three months and 12 days. 

Luhan felt like he was getting bored but he also liked her. Or maybe, liked her enough to try not to hurt her feelings. So he always said or did things that would annoy her to no end, just so she would break up with him. 

But no matter what he did, she never seemed to get annoyed to the point where she wanted to break up with him. Luhan knew that she liked him, but she was the nicest girl, never following him to clubs when his previous girlfriends always went with. She claimed that she wanted to be home to take care of Luhan. 

Back then, he never thought much about it. Luhan never cared. 

But truth be told, the reason why Luhan agreed to open this cafe with his best friend is because of her. He knows how much she loves coffee. And even though they aren't together anymore, he still wanted to do things because of her. For her. 

"Can I have a—" 

She is cut off by Luhan, "You know what? I'll make it for you. I think I can remember how you like your coffee."

Her face contorts to surprise and she grins as she shakes her head, "But it's been close to four years, Luhan. I don't think you can. You didn't even pay attention back then!"

"Ouch," Luhan feigns hurt as he puts his hand over his heart. But he is smiling as he says, "Come, I'll make it and you'll watch me." 

Luhan asks Minseok to cover the cashiering for him while he does the coffee. Minseok sees the girl Luhan brings into the Personnel Only area and he greets her happily. Luhan and Minseok goes way back and he has definitely met her before. 

 

"This is Minseok, my boyfriend," Luhan winked at her and she giggled as she shook his best friend's hand. 

"Nice to meet you, I've heard a lot about you!" She beamed, glad to finally meet her boyfriend's best friend. 

Luhan had told her countless of stories Minseok and him had gone through together and it seemed so fun. And she also loved the brotherhood between the two of them. She wanted to meet her boyfriend's partner in crime, she wanted to meet the person who took care of her boyfriend when she wasn't around. 

"Me too," Minseok politely returned. 

Luhan frowned, nudging Minseok, "Since when have I talked to you about my girlfriend? I never do that with anyone."

She was greatly offended by that but she swallowed that lump in . She had received so much of his mean comments, she surely would be immune to it, right? 

Minseok glared at Luhan, "He's kidding. He really does talk about you a lot. Like how you would like to learn how to bake because you can't bake anything edible."

"He said that?!" She pouted in an attempt to be mad. She turned to her boyfriend, "I can't believe you said my baking is inedible!"

"You said it yourself, sweetheart, don't go blaming it on me!" Luhan rolled his eyes. 

His girlfriend scoffed but secretly, she was overjoyed that Luhan actually talked about her to his friends. Now, she knew that Luhan was proud of her as his girlfriend, just as how she was of him as her boyfriend. 

Later that week, when Luhan met up with Minseok, he gave him a scolding. "I can't believe you told her I talk about her! You know how hard I'm trying to get rid of her but now she probably won't go!"

"Luhan, just admit that you like her. I mean, dude, you barely last two months with your other girls and you've been together with her for five months already!" Minseok was tired of Luhan constantly telling himself and his best friend how much he wanted her gone when in fact, he probably wanted her all to himself. "Not to mention, that was the first time I met your girlfriend in a proper setting that wasn't a club."

"Yeah, well, I still want her gone."

Minseok and her chat for a bit but due to the overflowing of customers, they have to cut short their conversation. Now that he isn't looking at her from behind the counter, he realises how much she has changed in terms of outlook. Even though she was as confident before, she is now elegant as well.

She is wearing a black dress that fits her body nicely. If anything, she looks y rather than formal and boring. Her hair is in a neat, sleek ponytail and she is wearing red lipstick. Her legs are long and slender and they are complemented with a pair of black heels. Luhan starts to regret losing such an amazing girl like her just because of his stupidity. 

"I'm not sure if it will taste the same with a professional coffee machine but I'll try," Luhan assures. 

"Boasting now, are we?" She teases, her pearly whites showing. 

"Well, yeah. I pleasure myself to this, you know."

"Luhan!!!" She starts laughing and Luhan wonders if this is what angels sound like when they sing. "You're horrible!"

Luhan chuckles, "So, how have you been?"

As Luhan starts to roast the coffee beans to the way she would like it, he starts on the orders that he has to make for the customers. But he is also listening intently to her, honestly curious of her life now. 

"Well," she starts as she leans her hip against the counter next to the coffe machine. She watches Luhan while she says, "I'm working in a magazine company. And I very recently got promoted, which I am really happy about. I just came from work, since I have a half day off today. My colleagues told me that this cafe has cute guys so I thought I could give it a look. And tadah! It's none other than Kim Minseok of Gyeonggi-do, South Korea and Luhan of Beijing, China!"

"Oh my god," Luhan laughs heartily, shaking his head in awe. "You haven't changed at all, sweetheart. You still have that vibrancy in your voice."

She shrugs, beaming. She pokes Luhan's side, "But you, my dear Luhan, has changed tremendously. Tell me," she tries to act professional as she taps her chin and Luhan finds it adorable. "How did that happen?"

Luhan is about to open his mouth to reply when she exclaims, momentarily distracted, "Oh, oh, wait! Remember my best friend?" He nods and she continues excitedly, "She's engaged!!!"

"Really?" Luhan smiles happily, sharing the joy. "That's really great news!"

"I know!!! She's so lucky to already be settling down so early..." She looks like she is staring off into the distance, dreaming about herself getting married. 

Luhan remembers how much she wants to get married at a young age. She likes confirmations and to her, marriage is the biggest definition of certainty. 

 

Luhan had his arms around her, their legs tangled together. It had been a rough day for the both them, trying to cope with university life. Going to sleep in Luhan's arms was the only thing she looked forward to everyday. Luhan knew that too and as much as he wanted to stop doing it so that she wouldn't be too attached to him, he couldn't stop. 

"I wanna get married as soon as possible," she mused without thinking. 

But that single sentence made Luhan freeze as he stuttered, "W-what?"

"I mean, I wanna get married before I'm too old, you know? I want to settle down soon. I need that confirmation of love and that definite path, telling me I'm going on the right track." She answered him quietly. Then she realised what she had said and she went on, "In the future, I mean. Not now. Maybe not even with you, we might not even be together then..." 

She sounded so melancholic, like she didn't want that to happen. Luhan nodded, immediately relaxing, "Exactly. But it's nice to dream~ So go to sleep now, babe."

Her soft sigh was barely audible but Luhan heard it. And he felt bad for her. But he really couldn't do anything about it when all he wanted then was a taste of every girl's body. 

"It'll be your turn soon," Luhan comforts her even though there is a sting in his heart. He wonders what he will become when he realises that the one he loved and loves is getting married. 

She shrugs and pouts, "My boyfriend is an , I've been hinting to him but he keeps ignoring me."

Now that sting isn't even a sting anymore. Luhan's heart is cracking and a small bit of his heart has fallen off. Slowly, his heart breaks into a million pieces and he feels like she can hear it. But of course it's impossible. 

She was still has easily distracted as before when she jumps back to the previous topic, not even knowing that Luhan is struggling with the pain she caused with the news of her having a boyfriend. "Oh, so how exactly did you change, Mr. Lu? It's definitely after we broke up, though, right?"

The hurt deepened even more when Luhan hears her talking so offhandedly about their previous relationship together. But he knew he was just being too sensitive. 

 

Luhan liked to talk about girls in front of her, obviously trying to piss her off that he is staring at girls instead of his girlfriend in front of him. And she would tolerate it, even though it was hard. Luhan thought it was commendable too, that she managed to keep her cool. 

"Do more squats, babe. Look at that girl's ... Damn, I would bang you everyday and every minute if you had that ," Luhan just didn't stop. He would go on to the point where one would think was crossing the point but she never budged. 

", why isn't she my girlfriend..." Luhan would say when he saw a hot girl. 

There had been many instances and Luhan was running out of compliments for other girls to irritate her. And soon, he stopped. When he did, that marked their eleventh month together. 

But the reason for their break up, wasn't because Luhan was a jerk to her. Nor was it because he cheated on her. Nor was it because she couldn't take his insults anymore. Actually, it wasn't Luhan who broke off the relationship, as shocking as that sounded. 

She initiated the break up a month after their first year together. She explained, "I love you, Luhan, I really do. And I still do. But I don't know, perhaps we're too young? Or maybe we're just too clueless. I don't see where our relationship would bring us. I can't see a future with you, as harsh as it sounds. I really hoped we could have dated and then eventually get married... But I realised how afraid you are of commitment and certainty.

"And Luhan, you know I am the opposite. I commit myself to everything I do and love and I live on the basis on definition. We just can't work if our mottos in life are polar opposites of each other."

Luhan was cool about it at first, knowing that he had finally gotten the freedom he wanted. He started to drink and smoke again, just like the times before he met her. He started to bang every girl he saw, just like the times before he met her. He started to wake up with a different girl on his bed everyday, just like the times before he met her. 

But that had lasted for only two weeks. Before he realised that he had changed. He didn't like clubs anymore, he didn't like the taste of alcohol when he woke up anymore, he didn't like the heat in his lungs when he smoked anymore, he didn't like the feeling of knowing that he had with different girls every night. 

Luhan didn't like it one bit. And he realised that he missed her. He missed coming home to her and sleeping with her. He missed being around her, listening to her run off. He missed her presence. He missed her entire being. 

Luhan shrugs, starting to make her coffee. "I guess after you left."

She laughs, "Wow, never knew I could impact the high and mighty Luhan."

"I didn't say it was because of you," Luhan chuckles, glancing at her. She is watching his hands as he made her coffee and she is smiling. "But maybe you had a little influence."

"Knew it~" She sings, looking into Luhan's eyes. 

 

"What happened to you?" Minseok asked when he saw how tired Luhan looked. 

"I miss her," he sighed, dumping himself next to his best friend on the couch. "I thought I was going to be glad she's gone and I was for a while. But now that the situation has finally hit me in the head, I miss her so much..." 

"Dude, you brought this all on yourself. I know i'm being mean but it's true." Minseok shrugged. "She was the best catch but you didn't cherish her enough. And now you regret it."

Luhan groaned and threw his head back. Minseok hums, "Although, I think it's good. I see you've changed a lot and it's for the better."

"But I feel terrible, I feel like ."

"Embrace the change, Lu. You'll find life will get easier."

Luhan pours her coffee into a cup and hands it to her. She takes a sip and he watches her expression, wanting to know what the verdict is. He visibly relaxes when he sees her smile. 

"A little different but it still tastes somewhat the same!" She praises. "Who would've thought you could still remember?"

"Of course I can. I remember everything," Luhan winks and she giggles. 

"How thoughtful," she gives him a knowing smile after curtsying a little. "I'm sure your girlfriend must be extremely lucky to have you as her boyfriend."

 

Luhan had tried dating after they broke up, of course. But it was difficult. He used to compare her to other girls just to piss her off without even meaning a word he said. But then, he started comparing girls to her. Luhan wanted perfection but she was gone. And all he could do now was settle for the next best thing. 

But those girls that he tried to date weren't even close to anything like her. So he eventually stopped trying. He realised that if he couldn't have her, no one else was worth the time.

"I don't have a girlfriend."

"What?!" She spatters. She looks at Luhan seriously and he smiles back silently as he continues with the orders. She doesn't believe him as she says, "You're Luhan. You get girls all the time! Look at this place! It's b with girls!"

The male laughs, "Sweetheart, not everyone is as perfect as you are."

There are two meanings to that sentence but Luhan means it in the most literal way. However, she doesn't get it. 

"You're the most perfect man, Luhan! You can get a girlfriend if I already have a boyfriend!"

Luhan smiles sadly but doesn't say anything. She continues, "You don't even need to try, Luhan. There are literally girls flocking around you."

"You know, I really wanna find a girlfriend too but I always wonder why there isn't one perfect girl," Luhan is calm as he says this. He doesn't look up, merely doing his work. He finishes, "But then I realise that you're gone and taken."

Her face registers surprise, amazed by the fact that Luhan had just complimented her. It isn't just an ordinary compliment either, and that simple compliment is saying a lot. Luhan looks up and sees her grinning at him really happily and he bursts out laughing. 

"Why are you looking at me like that? Stop it," Luhan is still laughing though. 

She replies, "That's the nicest thing you've ever said of me, I think."

"I don't think we have enough time if you want me to list every nice thing about you, sweetheart."

The both of them are just staring into each other's eyes,  intoxicated by each other's gazes. Luhan sees the corners of her red-painted lips curl upwards.

"Luhan, I really missed you."

"Hmm, me too," Luhan reciprocates without missing a beat. 

"But," she sighs softly, dropping her gaze. "I gave you one chance and that's all you got. I've moved on and even though it was hard, I knew that I had to in order to stop leading a miserable life."

She reaches forward and cups Luhan's cheek with her hand. As she smooths his skin with her thumb, Luhan can't help but feel like everything is all his fault. They could have been the one getting married now, instead of her best friend. They could have been the one running this cafe, instead of him with Minseok. They could still be together, instead of her and another guy. But everything isn't so because of his old self. 

And that is the iest feeling a person can ever have. 

She leans forward and plants a kiss on his cheek, leaving a faint red mark on his fair skin. Her gaze is loving and soft, almost deceiving Luhan that they are back to the days before. 

"It was perfect while it lasted but Luhan, forget about it. Move on, move away from me. You'll be happier that way, maybe even find an even more perfect girl than you think I am. But please, cherish her. Don't do to her what you did to me."

"I'm sorry." 

"Don't be apologetic, Luhan," she leans back now, dropping her hand and directing a gentle smile at him. "You know I wouldn't have lasted that long if I didn't love you."

Luhan nods and states, "I realised I loved you too but then it was too late."

She beams, taking a sip of the coffee Luhan specially brewed for her, "Exactly. And in everything you do, you have to remember that you only get one chance, Luhan. And that one chance is all you get in your lifetime."


Author's note:

Hey guys! So I finally did a one shot of Luhan for someone who requested it. I hope you guys liked it even though it was short >_< Thank you for reading too! I'd love to read comments by you guys and how you think about this. I'll be writing a D.O one shot next for my friend, Anna, so look forward to that! 

See you around,
xoxo