Before it all disappears (light up the darkness)

ficlet collection

title: Before it all disappears (light up the darkness)

couple: XiuHan

word count: 1390

a/n: title taken from here 


Lu Han meets Minseok fifteen days after the world ends.

Lu Han’s mechanic heart makes a creaking sound at the image in front of him; the boy’s lying on the cold ground, and he’s got his wings wrapped tightly around his tiny body, like he’s trying to protect himself from the rest of the world (or at least what’s left of it). His fair skin shines under the moonlight and Lu Han just wants to reach and touch, touch, touch.

Lu Han tries to approach him, but the creature’s wings flap wildly, feathers flying everywhere.

“It’s okay,” Lu Han whispers. “It’s okay. I’m not going to hurt you.”

Lu Han tries taking another step again and the creature stays calm. Lu Han reads it as a good sign and takes more steps until he’s kneeling in front of the other boy.

“I’m Lu Han,” he says every syllable carefully like he’s afraid he’ll hurt the boy with only his words.

The winged boy stays quiet, his gaze pierced on the ground only.

Lu Han tries again. “What’s your name?”

“It’s so empty. So dark and empty.”

His voice completes the picture of a broken soul in the middle of nothing. Just like Lu Han’s.

Lu Han’s still got his hands only by his own sides. He doesn’t dare to touch this creature yet.

“I know. I’m sorry.” He doesn’t know why he’s apologizing for, but he feels like owns it to the fragile creature.

The boy lifts his look from the ground, now staring right at Lu Han. Lu Han feels his breath hitch, because this angelic creature has eyes that remind Lu Han of coal in his town, of tar that always decorated the tips of creator’s fingers and of the dark nights he used to gaze at with his creator. It reminds Lu Han of home. But home no longer exists now, only ash and dirt.

“Is this your fault?” the boy speaks again.

 Lu Han blinks confusedly. “How do you mean-“

“Then why are you apologizing for,” the other asks, his gaze holding something that Lu Han can’t quite define.

“I – I don’t know,” he lies. He doesn’t bear of telling the truth – how he suddenly only feels an urge to protect and defend this boy. Maybe it’s a sort of an instinct because of the other’s appearance or how this boy is the only thing Lu Han has right now.

Lu Han breaks from his thoughts when pale fingers trace the outlines of his forearms’ ‘veins’.

“You’re not human.” It’s not a question, more an affirmation.

“You either,” Lu Han says.

The boy smiles and Lu Han’s wired chest threatens to malfunction any second soon.

“I thought it was pretty much obvious,” and as if to prove his point, the boy flaps his wings and it’s all of a sudden snowing pasty feathers, some of it landing on Lu Han’s auburn hair.

Lu Han grabs the feather from his hair, and runs the tip of it over the mechanic bump on the centre of his chest. “And my heart wasn’t?”

The boy smiles wider and Lu Han finally feels at ease after who knows how long.

“What are you Lu Han?” the boy questions.

“Same as you,” Lu Han answers, “not human.”

 “And you. What are you – “

“Minseok. My name is Minseok,” he finally says it.

“Minseok,” Lu Han tests the name on his tongue. “What are you, Minseok?”

“A guardian of the humans obviously doing a lame job,” he spreads his arms to point to the surroundings, before putting them back against his body and smiling sadly. “You know, we were prepared for this day. It was something that was written a long time ago, but no one prepared us for what came after it.” He lifts his eyes to Lu Han’s once again. “I never expected a total devastation.”

Lu Han wants to say ‘no one did’, but Minseok cuts him again. “But I did expect the effect it has on me. Total devastation means no one lives and no one for me to guard.” He sighs before speaking again. “I feel empty. I’m surprised they haven’t sent anyone after me yet.”

“Who are they?”

Minseok takes a rock from the dusty ground and throws it somewhere ahead of him. “The big guys. Or maybe it’s my punishment. Staying here, I mean. For not doing my job the right way.”

“It’s not your fault,” Lu Han whispers. He doesn’t know how to act around this creature. He first looked so scared and fragile, and now he’s opening like this to Lu Han.

Minseok frowns. “It doesn’t matter whose fault this is, anyway. It’s all over now.”

Lu Han gulps loudly and furrows his eyebrows. He has absolutely no idea what to do or say. Should he hug Minseok? Isn’t that the thing humans did when they tried to comfort someone? No, he eyes the creature once again, that’s not the thing. Maybe he should say something. He swallows a big lump he didn’t realize it was forming in his throat and opens his mouth, but no words come out.

“Don’t think too hard, Lu Han. Just go,” Minseok says.

Lu Han’s eyes widen comically. “I’m not leaving you.”

“Well, I’m not going with you either. I have no strength to move, and my wings aren’t much of a help right now.”

“I’ll stay then,” Lu Han nods frantically. “Yes. Don’t look at me like that.” He settles next to Minseok, and pulls his knees to his chest, arms wrapped tightly around them.

“Stubborn,” Minseok scowls. “Just go, Lu Han.”

“I don’t have anywhere to go. You’re the only person I’ve seen in the past few weeks.”

“So what are you going to do then? Sit here the whole time?” Minseok asks amused.

“Yes” Lu Han hopes he sounds enough determined.

Minseok sighs. “Fine then. So childish.”

They sit in complete silence. The moon is full tonight, and its light falls on Minseok’s face in such angles, so Lu Han can’t tear his gaze from the others gentle features. Sitting this close to Minseok, Lu Han can notice how the tips of feathers on Minseok’s wings are gold. Minseok’s chest move in a slow motion, his breath deep and uneven. Minseok has his eyes fixated somewhere ahead of himself and Lu Han is relieved for that, because he’s been staring at the other boy for an embarrassingly long time.

“You know,” Minseok starts, “I’m not going to last much longer.”

“You think you’re the only one with an expiration date.” Lu Han plants his palm on his chest, over his ‘heart’. “I wasn’t built to last forever. Not on my own, at least.” He takes a shaky breath, before speaking again. “I work on power, Minseok. Something I can’t afford right now. It’s a race between us, you know. And I think I’m the faster one.” He points to his ‘heart’, where red light blinks rapidly. “The whole world left me. Us. But if I don’t have to, then, please, don’t make me go alone.”

Minseok looks stunned by his words. Lu Han turns his attention now towards the sky and many stars, when a hand pulls him closer and a wall of feathers shields their sides. Minseok’s hand is around Lu Han’s shoulders, holding him tightly, and his voice is shaky once he speaks.

“So, Lu Han, has anyone ever told you about the stars?”

Lu Han takes a moment to realize what just happened and to gather his words. “Well, the creator had some books about the universe and-“

“No, no, I didn’t mean the books. They only hold things know to man. I mean the other story.”

 Lu Han’s face lights up. His eyes glint with curiosity and his smile shows his teeth. “No, tell me about it.”

“Well,” Minseok starts, “when I was little a strange thing happened to me. So, it all started when…”

They continue to sit there, the only two souls on the Earth, the moon and the stars. The world listens the end of the last ones with stories, fairy tales, legends and secrets only known to some. They sit together, and when it’s their turn to go, the sky doesn’t turn from dark to light, and the moon doesn’t turn to sun. Only darkness now.