In the long and cold seasons, you’re my only warmth

ficlet collection

title: In the long and cold seasons, you’re my only warmth

pairing: XiuHan

word count: 714

warning: too many Frozen references


Snowflakes melt on Lu Han's bare palms in small cold poodles. Jingle Bell Rock plays in the only shop that’s working right now. It’s probably going to close soon. He feels stupid for telling Minseok that he’ll stay outside. He feels stupid for not bringing gloves. He feels stupid for falling for Minseok’s kicked puppy look. And he feels utterly, and absolutely stupid for believing that only a coat and scarf will work out for him. Minseokie’s love will keep me warm~

“Stupid,” he grits through chattering teeth.

His fingers have started to colour themselves in light shades of plum and Lu Han can’t feel them at this point. What’s the purpose of fake pockets on winter coats anyway? Tao’s voice in his head answers the mystery ‘Fashion, ge, It’s something that you will never understand’

“Lu Han you’re making the face again. There are people, so please-“

“Minseok!” He runs to the man (not exactly run, because Minseok is only a few centimeters from him) and almost makes both of them tumble to snow powdered ground. Minseok is not exactly a human furnace, but hey, he actually has real pockets, so Lu Han searches the other man’s jacket until he finds two holes and places his frozen hands in them. He moans quietly when warmth envelops his frozen fingers. He settles his head in the croak of Minseok’s neck and puffs cold breaths of air on Minseok’s skin. Minseok laughs and brings his arms awkwardly around Lu Han since he’s holding something in his hands. “I bought us coffee,” he says as he nuzzles against Lu Han’s pink hair. Lu Han’s head sprints upwards. “Coffee!” He takes his hands out of Minseok’s pockets and makes grabby hands towards plastic cups. “Gimme, gimme!”

Minseok makes a face at Lu Han’s cold fingers. “I told you to bring gloves.”

Lu Han takes a sip from the cup, before he answers, “I’m dating a winter fairy.” He makes a dramatic flip with his short hair. “The cold doesn’t bother me, anyway.”

“It’s ‘the cold never bothered me, anyway’. I will never forgive Yixing for showing you that movie.”

Lu Han chuckles and takes Minseok’s hand in his own and intertwines their fingers. “So, where are we going?”

Minseok shrugs. “Nowhere special. I just wanted to get out of that stuffy house, but now I feel bad for bringing you out in this cold,” he says with a pout and looks away.

“What – no!” Lu Han’s eyes widen as saucers. He kisses Minseok’s pouty lips, then the tip of nose. “Babe,” he says and makes sure that Minseok’s attention is at him only. “The cold neve-“

Minseok snorts. “Okay, okay. Fine, I get it.”

Lu Han tugs his boyfriend’s hand. “Good, so where to now?”

Minseok’s eyebrows furrow deep in concentration. “How about the park?” he suggests.

Lu Han nods. “Park sounds nice.” They walk quietly for a couple of minutes, sipping their coffee, until they get to the empty playground of the park and Lu Han decides to break the silence. “Hey, Minseok.” The said man looks at Lu Han, eyebrows raised in question.

“Minseok,” he starts completely serious, making Minseok now raise one eyebrow at him. “Do you wanna build a Sno-“

A snowball flies from somewhere, hitting Lu Han square in the head.

Lu Han’s mouth is opened in a dramatic ‘o’, while Minseok is trying really, really hard to look serious (he’s totally failing). “I warned you,” he manages to state before bursting with laughter.

Lu Han lets go of his hand. “I see how this is.”

He makes a slight twitching movement with his finger. “You think you’re the only one who can move-“

The snowball that was aimed for Minseok is now falling apart and dripping in cold drops on Lu Han’s right cheek.

“Really, now,” Minseok shakes his head in a disapproving manner, “trying to turn snow against me.”

Lu Han looks murderous. “Ten seconds, Kim Minseok. I’ll give you ten seconds to run-“

Another one, this time on the opposite temple.

Minseok is already ahead of Lu Han, leaving a trail of footprints in the clean snow. Lu Han hears Minseok giggle somewhere ahead of him, singing, ‘… a kingdom of isolation and it looks like I'm the queen’