(Un)requited

(Un)requited

Luhan had made it clear to her and everyone else that he doesn’t like her back but it was as if the whole world decided to turn its back on him, the said girl just won’t back off and would always, always cling to him like a koala. He had turned her down every time she would ask him for a date. He had never accepted anything from her. He didn’t even care if it was a handmade scarf or a self-baked chocolate cake (his favorite). He just doesn’t really want anything to do with her. But he just can’t really push her away (physically, of course) because he actually had that thing people called manners. He attacked her through words though and he doesn’t know if she doesn’t hear him or she doesn’t understand him or she’s just really that persistent.

“Seriously, Seohyun, why won’t you leave me alone?” He asked, irritated. He was walking home when she suddenly appeared beside him and s her arm around his. They looked like a couple, if people were to look at their backs and wouldn’t see his scowling face.

“It’s the first time you call me by my name!” She brightened up upon hearing her name coming from his mouth. “You usually called me a koala, stalker and other stuff but never my name.”

“Does that even matter?” He raised an eyebrow, confused as to why she reacted like it was some sort of an achievement to be called by her name. “Remember you told me to call you anything I want.”

“Yes, but I was hoping you’d call me princess or angel or honey pie―”

“Seohyun, stop.” Luhan closed his eyes before he let out a sigh. “I won’t ever call you that, okay?”

“You called my name again!” She exclaimed like a child who got her favorite candy. “Ah, I should forever remember this day.”

“Stop being so dramatic, stupid woman.”He gritted his teeth in annoyance. “And can you just answer my question? Why the heck are you sticking with me?”

“You know the answer to that, Luhan.” She grinned at him. “I like you. Simple, right?”

Luhan can’t even count how many times she already confessed to him, as well as the times he told her he doesn’t feel the same.

“I hate you.” Luhan said with finality.

“That’s the first time you told me that.” Seohyun looked down as she stopped walking, making Luhan stop too. He looked at her and that’s the first time he saw her looked so down. He suddenly felt guilty and wanted to take back his words but he just can’t do that. He had been wishing that she would finally stop stalking him, so even if he doesn’t really meant what he just said (but that doesn’t necessarily mean he likes her), he can’t just take those words back.

Luhan was taken aback when she looked up with that bright smile again. “Don’t worry! I’m not going to hate you back.”

Luhan face palmed. The optimism of the girl was seriously killing him.

“Anyway, I’ll leave you for now!” She finally let go of him. “Don’t you dare look at other girls when I’m not around, okay?” She tiptoed and gave him a peck on his cheeks. “Bye.”

Luhan was stunned. It was the first time she did that. His right hand found its way to his cheek where she had just kissed him.

“What the hell?”

#####

Seohyun didn’t show up for the next two weeks and Luhan thought he could have written a book which was all about freedom and happiness but he didn’t (or rather, he can’t). Instead, he was consistently looking at his watch knowing the class will start soon but she wasn’t there yet. He would occasionally look at the seat behind him where she was seated during class but she wasn’t there. He remembered she would usually poke his back whenever she’s bored. He would also look at the foods in the canteen and he could have that yummy burger and his favorite soda for lunch but then he’d hear her voice and her warning that those foods are bad for his health because all those bad stuff will accumulate and eventually, he’d die.

Simply speaking, he missed her presence.

And he doesn’t like it even a bit.

 “Had a bad night again?” Minseok, his best friend, asked him. Concern was evident on the older guy’s voice. It’s been days since he had seen Luhan with those dark eye bags and he’s sure the guy wasn’t able to sleep soundly again. He wondered what’s keeping Luhan awake when in fact, they don’t really have much things to do for school.

“Yeah. I think I’m having insomnia.” Luhan sat on the empty chair across Minseok. He frowned upon seeing the burger in the other guy’s hand. “Don’t eat that.”

“Huh?” Minseok looked at his burger then back to Luhan. “This?”

“Yes.” Luhan nodded. “It’s bad for your health.”

Minseok laughed so hard and Luhan wondered why.

“Why are you laughing?” Luhan asked irritatingly.

“Do you know that you sound exactly like Seohyun?” Minseok stopped laughing then but a playful smile was still on his face. “Is she, perhaps, the reason why you couldn’t sleep at night? You missed her, don’t you?”

“What?” Luhan shouted. “No! That’s ridiculous! Why would I even care if she was gone for approximately 14 days and 6 hours already?”

“Yeah, right.” Minseok just rolled his eyes at Luhan. “Whatever floats your boat, dude. But hey,” He pointed at something or rather someone meters behind the younger guy. “There she is.”

Luhan quickly looked at where Minseok was pointing at and there, he really saw her. She was just standing on her spot but it looked like she was looking for someone. Luhan had to slap himself when the thought of wanting to be the one she was looking for crossed his mind. And Minseok thought his friend had gone crazy.

The two boys watched as Seohyun started walking towards the opposite side with a gentle smile on her face. Minseok actually thought the girl was looking for Luhan but it turned out he was wrong. They saw Seohyun stopped at a table where a handsome looking young guy was eating alone. She sat at the empty seat across the said guy and started talking animatedly with him. Luhan unconsciously glared at the two and Minseok caught that. The older guy was sure by then that his best friend had fallen in love with the girl but the latter just doesn’t want to admit it to himself.

“Why is she talking with some other guy?” Luhan muttered, oblivious to the playful smile plastered on his best friend’s face.

“Shouldn’t you be happy? If she found someone who would actually reciprocate her feelings, wouldn’t it mean she won’t disturb you anymore? That’s what you want, right?” Minseok asked him and Luhan had to convince himself that yes, that’s what he really wants―for her, to leave him alone.

But his heart says otherwise. No, that’s not exactly what he wants.

Luhan wondered what he truly wanted, then.

He stood up and didn’t finish eating his food. He gave Seohyun and that guy one last glance before he went away.

He missed that time Seohyun accidentally caught sight of him and brightened up almost immediately.

#####

Luhan gritted his teeth as he held on his pen tightly. Seohyun was bothering him again by poking his back. He would usually just turn around to face her and ask her silently to stop bothering him but that day was different. He was so annoyed that he stood up and shouted at her.

“Stop it, will you?!” The teacher in front stopped writing on the board and looked at the two.

“What’s wrong with you two?” The teacher asked. “Luhan! Why were you shouting?!”

Seohyun quickly stood up and bowed multiple times, apologizing. “I’m sorry. It was my fault. I’m sorry. Please don’t be mad at him. It won’t happen again. I’m sorry.”

Luhan just sat down, still annoyed. He doesn’t really know why he acted like that.

“You, two.” The teacher pointed at the two of them. “After class. Detention.”

“Great. Now, I’m stuck with this stupid koala.” Luhan muttered, loud enough for Seohyun to hear.

Seohyun felt her heart being torn into pieces. She would be lying if she’d say she never felt hurt by his constant rejections but usually, she can take all that. Today was different though. He sounded really annoyed with her and she doesn’t know why.

#####

The teacher just made them stay in class for one hour.

Reflect, that’s what she told the two of them. Luhan just rested his head in the table and actually started reflecting. He wasn’t sure what caused him to act like that. He never meant to act like that towards her. She might be annoying but he never thought of snapping like that to her.

Seohyun, on the other hand, really felt sorry for constantly bothering him. Maybe her friends were right. She should stop clinging to him and look for a much better guy who would like her back. They told her she deserves someone so much better than Luhan but her heart only wants him.

Maybe, I should just watch him from the sidelines. She thought sadly as tears started flowing down her cheeks. She tried so hard not to release any sound so he wouldn’t notice. There’s no doubt I’d remain just an annoying person to him. He deserves someone better and I should just be happy for him when that time comes he finally found the one.

An hour passed by like that. Luhan wanted to apologize to her but his stupid ego just won’t let him so he stood up and walked towards the door. He didn’t even bother taking a second to look at her.

The door opened just before Luhan can hold the knob. The guy with Seohyun at the cafeteria appeared. Luhan just glared at the said guy and purposely bumped his shoulder with the latter as he finally went out of the room.

“Sehun-ah, you’re here?” Seohyun asked the guy.

“Noona, isn’t that the guy you’ve been crushing on since forever?” Sehun gave the older girl a toothy smile.

“Yes.” Seohyun answered sadly.

“Shouldn’t you be happy that you were alone with him for an hour?” Sehun raised an eyebrow upon noticing Seohyun’s gloomy expression.

“Sehun-ah, I think noona has to give up on him.” Seohyun started crying again. “Whatever I do, I always end up just annoying him. He will never like me back. So I should just give up, right?”

Sehun quickly went towards the girl and hugged her, comforting her. “I’m going to kill that guy who made my sister cry like this. I don’t even care if you love him, noona. I’m going to kill him!”

#####

Luhan found himself being trapped in an empty classroom with this stupid guy who called himself Sehun. His blood boils just seeing the said guy.

“Do you know how much noona cried so hard last night?” Sehun asked him, anger evident in his voice.

Luhan laughed bitterly. So Seohyun chose someone younger. Does this Sehun guy even know how to protect her? He thought and it annoyed him knowing that. “I never thought she has a thing with younger guys.”

“What?” Sehun asked incredulously.

“I understand why you’re doing this, Sehun. She did confess to me just two weeks ago but there’s really nothing going on between us. You’re dating her now. Does the past even matters? She’s all yours.” Luhan answered. He tried to sound like he doesn’t care but deep inside, he does. He realized just a night before that he likes Seohyun already and he felt stupid for not realizing it sooner.

Sehun stood frozen for a few seconds, trying to comprehend what Luhan just told him and when it finally sink in, he started laughing so hard. Luhan’s eyebrows almost met in confusion. He watched as the younger guy tried so hard to control himself from laughing as he got his phone from his pocket.

“Hyung, stay here, okay?” Sehun told him as he pressed some keys on his phone and put it beside his right ear after.

“Noona! Can you come here? I’m at the farthest classroom in the first floor.”

Great, Luhan closed his eyes. He even called Seohyun. Are they going to flaunt their relationship now?

“Noona told me you’re smart but I’ll have to disagree with that. You’re really stupid, hyung.” Sehun told him. Luhan opened his eyes and noticed the grin on the younger’s face. Is he mocking me, right now?

“Why would your beloved noona tell you anything about me, though?” He asked. Sehun just shrugged.

The two waited in silence until Seohyun finally came. She didn’t notice Luhan at first and quickly went to Sehun and checked his body, as if looking for wounds and such. Luhan looked away, not liking the view. He was supposed to be in Sehun’s position. She should be worrying about him and not some other guy he doesn’t even know.

“Noona, stop. I did not get into any fight. Don’t worry.” Sehun grinned at Seohyun who just glared at him.

“How can I not worry about my baby brother?!” Seohyun exclaimed.

“Brother?” Seohyun turned around after hearing that familiar voice. There, she saw Luhan staring at her and Sehun with wide eyes. Luhan pointed at Sehun before he asked Seohyun, “He is your brother?”

Seohyun nodded. “I-I don’t know if you noticed it but I was gone for two weeks. I was busy babysitting this idiot who wouldn’t go to class if I didn’t grant his wish. Anyway, he just transferred here.”

Luhan felt so stupid all of sudden for jumping into conclusions without asking her first. He also felt relieved knowing that Sehun’s just her brother and not her boyfriend.

“Noona, I’ll go ahead, okay?” Sehun patted Seohyun’s head as if he’s the older one between them. He gave Luhan a do-not-hurt-my-sister-anymore look before he finally went out of the room.

“I don’t know what he did but I’m apologizing on his behalf.” Seohyun smiled sadly at him and it pained him seeing such expression from her. He was used to seeing her smiling brightly almost every day. “Don’t worry, though. I won’t let such things happen again. I, too, would stop bothering you now.”

“You’re what―?” Luhan’s eyes widened upon hearing her saying she’d stop bothering him already. That’s honestly that last thing he wanted from her that very moment.

“I-I’m not going to bother you anymore. I’m sorry for all those times I keep on clinging onto you. You must hate me a lot, right? I’m really sorry.” She gave him a slight bow before she started walking, wanting to leave the room before she starts crying.

Luhan froze for a few seconds before his mind finally told him what he needs to do. He grabbed her by her arm and pushed her gently in the wall just beside the door. Seohyun’s eyes widened with the sudden movement from him.

“I’m stupid.” He began. Seohyun unconsciously held her breath upon realizing how close they were that very moment.

“I’m probably the dumbest person you can ever meet in your life, Seohyun.”

“L-Luhan―” She wasn’t able to continue what she was about to say when he gently placed his thumb in her lips.

“Shh. Listen, Seohyun.” He closed his eyes and sighed. “I’m going to say this a lot of times after this but I want you to listen carefully every time, okay?”

Seohyun mumbled a Yes.

“I like you.” He confessed before he leaned in and gave her a quick peck in the lips. He smiled upon seeing her stunned expression. He, then, turned around, grabbed his bag from the table and left the room.

Seohyun can’t believe what just happened. The guy she likes the most finally reciprocated her feelings. She thought it will forever be an unrequited love but it turned out that all her efforts finally paid off. Realizing this, she quickly went out of the room and ran after him.

“Took you long enough.” He as he held her hand. Seohyun blushed.

“Can―can you say it again?” She asked.

“No.”

“But you told me you’re going to say it a lot of times!” She whined and Luhan swore she’s the cutest thing ever. His frog stuffed toy can’t even beat her.

“I’m going to say it when I feel like it, okay?”

“Do I not deserve to hear it twice today? I’ve been bawling my eyes last night thinking I won’t ever have a chance with you.” She pouted.

He stopped walking and faced her.

“If you want to be kissed in public then alright, I’m going to say it.” He grinned at her. Her eyes widened. She pulled her hand away and walked away from him, feeling embarrassed. Not even a minute passed and she felt a hand holding hers.

“So it’s going to be like this now. Me running after you.” Luhan commented. “That’s not a bad thing though. I guessed I deserve this for being such a jerk to you.”

Seohyun smiled as she held his hand tighter. “Or we can run after each other now.”

“Seohyun.”

“Hm?”

“I like you.”

 


Sooooo sorry for that rushed ending. I've tried so hard to think of how to end this one but that's honestly all I can come up with. OTL Anyway, I'm working on the next chapter of ATY already so please wait a little bit more. Hihi. Also, do leave some comments! ^^