Campus Life ⋮ « Degrees, Dormitories & Greek Life »

Off to College [Apply fic: Open]

campus Life

HEADER IMAGE

Welcome all, to Hampton University! We're so excited to have you here. Let me tell you a little about Hampton University. HU is located in the lovely little town of Carlsbad, California. It's just north of San Diego, and just south of Los Angeles. Anything you could possibly need off campus, is but a small drive in any direction. There's also some wonderful beaches not too far away, if you have a break from all your studying.

HU was established in 1938 in hopes to provide a cheap college experience that would allow young men to "escape" the draft of WWII - they could do that if they became a scholar. The college was originally only intended to last through the second World War, but it began to garner quite the popularity amongst students.

Today, Hampton U. caters to over 20,000 students - this includes a large international group as well. We have two wonderful dorm room options if you're looking to stay on campus - which you must if you're a freshman and not from the area. There's Madison House and Hodgens House.

 

C o u r s e s  O f f e r e d

 

 
 
 

Students at Hampton University can obtain a degree in just about anything, seeing as how we offer hundreds of different classes. But, no matter what degree you're pursuing, you must complete you General Education courses as well; this way you'll be a well-rounded student. To list the courses here might be too much for some of you, so I'll mention some of the majors. For the ambitious ones, you can even take up a minor, or even double major. Good luck. And, if you're undecided, that's alright, there's a lot of general courses I can show you. Now, remember, these are only a few of the majors offered here, at Hampton University. If there's something you're curious about, please contact your Advisor to see if the major is offered.

Natural Sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Animal Science, Enviornmental Plant Science, Geology, Wildlife Conservation and Management, Astronomy, Engineering

Social Sciences: Anthropology, Archaeology, Criminology, Communications, Economics, History Law, Linguistics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology

Formal Sciences: Accounting, Mathematics, Statistics, Game Theory, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Finances

Languages: Italian, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin, Greek

General: Business, Music, Education, Theatre, Philosophy, Professional Writing, Social Work, Art, Design, Fashion, History, Health Services, Journalism

Professional: Pre-Law, Pre-Medicine, Pre-Veterinary, Pre-Dental

 

 

D o r m i t o r i e s

 
 
 

This is Madison House. It's located on the South side of campus by Temple, our  biology and chemistry department, and Meyer Library. There are two different  types  of rooms offered here. There's a four-person, or a two-person suite. For the  four  person suite, there are two separte rooms inside the suite, and each room is  made  for two people. Every room has their own bathroom and kitchenette. There  are five floors, the 1st is the lobby - which contains the front desk, mail, and a  lounge - the 2nd, is an all girls floor, the 3rd is an all boys floor, and the 4th and 5th  are both co-ed floors - this does not mean co-ed rooms.

 

This is Hodgens House. It's located on the West side of campise by Strong and  Glass, our buisness and history departments. These dorms are set up differently  than Madison House. All rooms are made for two people, there is no kitchenette  or personal bathroom. There is a bathroom on each floor that has showers for  the  residents. There are five floors as well. The 1st is the lobby, the second is an  all  girls floor, the third is an all boys floor, the fourth is an all girls floor, and the  fifth is  an all boys floor.

 

 

 

 

G r e e k   L i fe

 
 
 

If you're interested in joining Greek Life, have no fear. There are many choices here at Hampton University. Some are professional, some are service, but most fraternities and sororities are social. Most chapters are known for something - either good or bad - but it doesn't always mean it's true. Here, I'll present to you what the university knows of our beloved fraternities and sororities, you're going to have to figure out their reputation on your own. And you better hurry, rush week is the third week of classes.

First our lovely ladies and their sororities.

ΑΧΩ - Alpha Chi Omega

 Alpha Chi Omega was originally a professional music sorority, but after some disputes, it later became a social  sorority. They promote the saying, "Real, Strong, Women." Their colors are scarlet red and olive green, and their symbol is a lyre. Their philanthropy is to help bring awarness to domestic violence.

ΔZ - Delta Zeta

 Delta Zeta was founded at the University of Miami right after the college first began to accept women. The women sough the help of the president of the college and he helped them become a recognized chapter. Their colors are rose and green, and their symbol is the roman lamp. Their philanthropy is to help those with speech or hearing impairments

ΣΣΣ - Sigma Sigma Sigma

 Sigma Sigma Sigma was originally known as the secret S.S.S. society before the woman at this a univeristy announced the founding of the sorority. Their colors are royal purple and pure white, and their symbols is a sailboat. Their philanthropy is to provide play therapy to kids, playrooms and libraries to kids who have long term stays at hospitals

ΣAI - Sigma Alpha Iota

Sigma Alpha Iota is a music sorority - but is not limited to music majors. It is open to any woman who has completed at least one music course and has a sincere interest in music. Their colors are red and white, and their symbol is pan pipes. Their philanthropy is to spread, encourage, and promote all aspects of music creation.

And now for those wonderful gentlmen and their fraternitites.

ΦΓΔ - Phi Gamma Delta

Phi Gamma Delta, or FIJI, was originally known as "The Delta Association" in the mid-1800s when it first came about. Their color is royal purple and their symbol is a diamond with a star in the middle of it. Their philanthropy is to deal with national issues on a local level. They have helped with the Red Cross, the Food Bank, and Bowls for the Kid's Sake.

ΠKA - Pi Kappa Alpha

Pi Kappa Alpha, or Pike, had a rocky start and a bad reputation. There have been notable controversies surrounding this fraternity. Their colors are garnet and old gold, and their symbols are the oak tree, a shield and diamond, a white horse, and a dagger and key. Their philanthropy centralizes around maintaining and operating the Memorial Headquarters.

ΠKΦ - Pi Kappa Phi

Pi Kappa Phi, or Pi Kappa, originally began as Nu Phi when the founders wanted to hold offices at their university. They soon realized the only way to garner votes would be to start their own fraternity. Their colors are white, gold, and royal blue, and their symbols are a bell, star, and lamp. Their exlusive philanthropy is the Ability Experience which serves individuals with disabilities.

ΘΧ - Theta Chi

Theta Chi didn't know if they would survive when it first began. When a fire destroyed part of the university, the graduate class was reduced to one member. Their colors are military red and white, and their symbol is a rattlesnake. Their preferred philanthropies include the Wounded Warrior Project, Habitat for Humanity, and the Children's Miracle Network.

ΦMA - Phi Mu Alpha

Phi Mu Alpha, or Sinfonia, is a music fraternity, but it is not limited to music majors. Any man with a love for music who will work to advance the cause of music in America can join. Their colors are red, gold, and black, and their symbols are their membership pin, their coat of arms, and a their flag.

 

 

 

** A T T E N T I O N **

Hey there! This is... Well, I guess I'm your Guide to this big nasty world that is university. I've hacked into the campus' server in order to give you the real information.

In regards to degrees, get ready for an interesting ride. Most college students end up changing their major twice while in school; so, don't be upset if you don't know exactly what you want to do. Though, you might have to be a Super Senior - going to university for five years, or even more.

You just kind of have to accept that. Now, dorms? They typically , depending on who you are. Hodgens House is typically a more social dorm. You tend to know your dormmates rather quickly. Many people leave their dorms open when they're home and people just tend to drop in and say hi. Many freshmen and sophomores end up in these dorms simply because it has a true college experience. Now, Madison House is a bit quieter. People aren't necessarily unfriendly, it's just they're not as up for knowing their whole floor. This dorm typically houses upper classmen, or underclassmen who aren't interested in the rambuncious lifestyle of Hodgens. Also, Madison is a nicer dorm - so, there's that.

Oh, and if you're not a freshmen, you can live off campus, and there's a number of options available for you. There's apartments, houses you can rent, and if mommy and daddy are helping you out, you can even get a house cheap and rent it to friends. Personally, living off campus is wonderful. No rules, you get to do what you want. But, you're typically not as involved in campus life, and it's money out of your pocket instead of your loan.

As for Greek Life, what's listed above is just the campus' knowledge of them. Ask around campus and you'll hear the real story about them. Some of the sororities are believed to be residental . Some fraternities are full of complete douches. Some of Greek Life has a bad reputation and history. I would tell you the rumors, buuuuut I feel you shoul figure that out on your own.

Well, until next time, this is your Guide signing off.