The Shady Tree

The Shady Tree

"Seriously, Baek! Join the team!!" Chanyeol, a four year football player for his high school urged.

Baekhyun pushed Chanyeol's arms off of his small shoulders. Chanyeol had trapped him in a corner during passing period to convince him to join the team.

"I'm not joining that stupid team. Remember? I have-"

"You have what? Nerd stuff to do?" Chanyeol said mockingly as he placed his hands on Baekhyun's shoulders again, Baekhyun immediately pushing them off. "C'mon. This is your last year here. Do something worth while, will you?"

"Studying is worth while." Baekhyun snapped. "And this is school. You're supposed to be a nerd!" He finished, finally fed up with Chanyeol chasing him around all day. He pushed Chanyeol's chest and stomped away to his science class.

Chanyeol groaned and slapped the wall until his hand was red.

"Oowwww." He held onto his wrist then the late bell rang. "!" He picked up his backpack then dashed to his classroom.

Baekhyun rolled his pencil up and down his desk, sighing.

He was the nerd of the school and honestly it wasn't that bad but it gave off a lot of stress. A lot of people would want help from him and try to pay him to do his homework but he never said yes.

Chanyeol was making it worst too.

Football try-outs were coming up in 2 weeks and Chanyeol wanted him to join.

Why? You ask.

Baekhyun had done both cross country and track for a long time now and he was super fast. He was always number one, first place in every race.

He sighed again.

"Why are you so annoying."

Baekhyun grumbled, referring to Chanyeol, his cousin. He needed to get away from all of this. He sat up in his white office chair and looked at the time on his watch.

5:29 p.m.

"Might as well leave early today." He immediately stood from his desk and left for the place he always loved to unwind, the shady tree.

He arrived a little earlier than he usually did. It was

6:02 p.m.

This certain shady tree was a peach tree that grew tall alone on its own lush green hill. The buds had started forming although it was the beginning of winter.

Baekhyun loved this tree because it defied nature and bloomed whenever it wanted. Even nerdy Baekhyun couldn't figure out why it bloomed randomly.

He walked down a dirt trail until it opened up into a large green field. He looked up and there stood the tree on the hill. He started towards it when he heard something.

It was the sound of a sweet and harmonic sound.

The sound stopped abruptly as it noticed his presence.

Baekhyun squinted his eyes and could make out a skinny figure getting to its feet. It was a silhouette in the shade but Baekhyun could tell it was a girl.

Baekhyun went closer to the tree as the figure stepped out of the shadows and into the light. Baekhyun was shocked when he saw her.

Taeyeon, a varsity cheerleader of his school was standing under his secret tree.

"Hey." She greeted, a hand on her elbow. Baekhyun waved with an awkward smile. "Baek-nerd, right?" She questioned, familiar with his face.

Baekhyun deeply sighed.

Nicknames.

"I guess." He said, scratching the back of his head. There was an awkward moment of silence then Taeyeon spoke.

"Is this your spot?" She asked, gesturing to the tree-stump behind her.

Baekhyun nodded as Taeyeon started toward him.

"Okay. I'm gonna leave now then." She said, walking past her.

She smelt very strongly of cherry blossoms, the same smell Baekhyun always smelt under the tree when he arrived.

"Wait." He said to the ground.

Taeyeon halted and turned around to Baekyun's small back.

"You can stay. I can tell you really like this place." Baekhyun said, still looking to the green grass. Taeyeon smiled and walked past Baekhyun to the tree again. She took a seat at the bottom of the trunk and patted the ground beside her.

"Come. Sit with me." She said to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun hesitantly stumbled up the small hill and sat further from Taeyeon than she wanted.

"Come closer." Taeyeon urged, patting the ground harder. Baekhyun did as he was told and sat a little too close this time.

Baekhyun hugged his knees and was too nervous to look over at the girl beside him.

Taeyeon sat with her legs right in front of her and hands on the grass.

"When did you start coming here?" She asked. "I never see you."

Baekhyun didn't know the exact date so he just shrugged and swallowed through the knot in his throat.

Taeyeon nodded in acknowledgement.

"Same here. I honestly don't remember when I started coming here. Or... I think it was during the middle of summer break in my first year of high school. Cheerleading really got to me." She finished.

Baekhyun hummed in reply, catching Taeyeon's attention.

"Are you a singer by any chance?" She asked, turning her torso to him. He shook his head and started pulling at the grass. "No, stop!" She exclaimed, putting a hand on his working hand. "Don't kill the grass." She said with a trace of annoyance.

Baekhyun immediately stopped and hugged his legs again.

"I'm sorry." He apologized. Taeyeon groaned.

"It's fine." She said, pulling her hand back. "I just really care about this place." She pointed out, looking out into the distance.

Baekhyun nodded and cleared his throat, trying to clear his mind at the same time.

There was a "Bling" sound from the tree and Taeyeon reached into her back pocket, pulling out her phone.

It was a message from her friend telling her to get going.

"I have to go." She said before dashing off and down the dirt trail.

Once she was out of sight, Baekhyun put a hand to his heart and let his panic out.

"That was so nerve wracking." He said to himself.

He looked at the hand Taeyeon brushed and flashed a small bright smile before looking at the horizon.

"Taeyeon." He said her name to himself.

 

From that day on, he searched for her everyday at the shady tree. She would only show up for a little then she would leave in a hurry.

"Why are you always suddenly leaving?" He asked as the two lie on the grass beside each other.

Taeyeon turned to him and then back to the blue sky.

"Friends." She answered. Baekhyun propped himself up on his elbows and looked at her, having gained enough confidence to do so a couple days earlier.

"Really? Friends can do that?" He questioned. "They can make you run like you're running for your life?" Taeyeon sighed and rubbed her forehead.

"We smoke." She admitted, making Baekhyun's eyes grow wide to the point where they seemed like they were going to pop out.

"What!? You smoke?" He asked in disbelief. She sadly nodded.

"I don't want to but...now I can't stop." She turned to him. "That's the reason as to why I wear so much perfume. I'm trying to cover up. You know how it is. You've taken health class but...it's actually way harder than that to quit-"

Bling!

Taeyeon reached for her phone but didn't pull it out.

Bling!

She stared into Baekhyun's hard eyes.

Bling! Bling!

"No." Baekhyun mustered. Taeyeon chewed her bottom lip.

Bling! Bling! Bli-!

Taeyeon held the power button and shut it off.

"Good." Baekhyun said, smiling.

Taeyeon nodded and averted her eyes.

She tried not to think about smoking but the nicotine was starting to speak. Her body jolted up on its own accord to try and get to its craving but Baekhyun held her down. He put an arm over her chest and flexed until she stopped.

She started to bawl into her hands so Baekhyun hugged her to try to comfort her.

They stayed there for what seemed like hours until Taeyeon left and Baekhyun was left alone under the shady tree.

 

"I'll join." Baekhyun said, dropping a huge stack of papers onto Chanyeol's desk. Chanyeol awoke from his short nap, with a wide smile plastered on his face.

"Really?! Yes!!" Chanyeol celebrated by punching the air.

The bell was about to ring in two minutes so the teacher let them socialize.

"Kyungsoo! Kyungsoo! Joonmyeon! Jongin! Get over here!!" Chanyeol called for the football players in the classroom.

They all made their way to him slowly.

"What?" Kyungsoo asked once he approached the two.

"Baekhyun's trying out for the team!" Chanyeol exclaimed. Jongin rubbed his head and chimed in.

"Great. At least you'll stop complaining now but..." Jongin shook his finger at Chanyeol. "He'd better be as fast as you say he is or he's immediately out. Got it?" He finished. Joonmyeon nudged him aside.

"Don't be so harsh on him yet. I don't think this kid will do that bad."

RIIINNNGGG!!!

The bell rung and everyone rushed out of the room to lunch.

Taeyeon has been waiting for Baekhyun for at least an hour now under the blossom tree.

The blossoms have just started blooming into pink petals.

She looks to the horizon and it reminds her of a football game last year when her close friend broke his leg.

He fell to the ground right when the sun disappeared behind the mountains.

He was handicapped ever since that day and he stopped talking to her. She laid back onto the grass.

 

*Flashback*

 

"What would you say if I..." Baekhyun dragged. The two stood against the tree.

"If you what?" Taeyeon asked, leaning forward to catch a glimpse of Baekhyun's face.

"If I joined the football team." Baekhyun finished. Taeyeon leaned on Baekhyun's shoulder and intertwined their fingers.

"I would say...sure. Why not. But... I'm your friend so I'm gonna ask why first." She said. Baekhyun started feeling flustered as he scratched the back of his head.

"W-Well. I-"

"Go ahead. If you make the team, I'll see you at every game." She said, squeezing his hand. Baekhyun nodded with a bright smile.

*Present*

Taeyeon got into her car and drove back to her school. She started coughing.

Baekhyun lined up with the other guys trying out for the football team.

Some of them were big but most were small.

Their school was based on speed more than strength anyway.

"Kim!" The masculine coach called.

Jongin, Jongdae, Joonmyeon, and Minseok all stepped out from their place in line.

The coach deeply sighed.

"Happens every single freaking year." He mumbled to himself. "Kim Minseok!" He called even louder, then that was the start.

The try outs have begun.

"What's the pattern!!!?" The coach nearly screamed but his voice was so deep that it was almost unnoticeable.

The boys replied one by one as the moves were executed almost perfectly.

"Get out of here, you stupid idiot!" The coach yelled at one of the boys that fell as the rest ran to the other side of the field.

Baekhyun was the fastest of them all although it was his first year doing football.

"Good job, Byun! Now hurry up and stop wasting that speed, beaver loser!" Baekhyun charged even faster and made it to the parallel side in a matter of seconds.

Taeyeon had run onto the field ten minutes ago and she was as happy as could be right now. She cheered Baekhyun on and made sure he never gave up.

 

A couple days later, Baekhyun walked down the hall when Taeyeon ran up behind him and jumped him. Baekhyun groaned and tipped backwards.

"You're heavy." He said, making Taeyeon pout and let go.

She took his hand and pulled him down multiple halls.

They stopped in front of a piece of paper with a list of names.

Taeyeon pointed right to a name after waiting impatiently for Baekhyun to find his own name.

"I made it?" Baekhyun questioned unbelievingly. Taeyeon hugged him.

"Yes, you did!" She said giddily. Baekhyun finally smiled a toothy smile and hugged Taeyeon back.

 

From that day forth, they met up after school only a couple times.

They'd always talk about random things but it made them closer and closer. Baekhyun always had practice and so did Taeyeon.

 

Chanyeol spotted Baekhyun and smiled.

"Baek-"

KONG!!

Chanyeol ran into a skinny pole and fell to the floor. Sehun helped him up with a slight word of "idiot".

"Our first game is tomorrow-!!"

PING!!

Chanyeol ran into a second pole. Sehun helped him up again with a "saw that coming." 

Chanyeol dusted himself and slowly walked to Baekhyun.

"Are you ready?" He asked. Baekhyun nodded and received a high-five from Sehun.

"Great. I'm sure we'll win the game with you in there." Sehun complimented.

"Thanks." Baekhyun thanked.

"Oh! We're going to dinner. Wanna come?" Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun shook his head.

"Nah. I have somewhere to go." Baekhyun said before continuing down his path.

"Okay, bye!" Chanyeol called out after him.

 

Baekhyun ran down the sidewalks until he came to an all too familiar place. He walked the trail and came to an open area, met with Taeyeon's warm hug.

"You're late." Taeyeon said.

"I'm sorry-" Taeyeon coughed loudly and painfully behind Baekhyun. "Taeyeon!?" He pushed her to arms length to get a good look at her and saw she was smiling softly. "Are you alright?" He asked. She nodded.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just got a cough. That's all-oh! Come here!" She urged, remembering something. She pointed somewhere up above and Baekhyun's eyes followed.

The blossoms had finally fully bloomed while he was still busy.

"They're beautiful." Baekhyun said reaching up to pick one.

The pink and white petals made his eyes feel soothed.

He turned to Taeyeon and slipped the blossom into the area between her head and the top of her ear.

"Just like you, Tae." He complimented as he bent in.

Taeyeon closed her eyes and let Baekhyun do as he pleased. She knew he wanted to do this a long time ago but Taeyeon didn't like rushed relationships because she had gone through too many of them.

Baekhyun rested his hand on the small of her back and gently massaged.

Soon, the kiss became more passionate and Taeyeon found herself pinned against the tree .

Baekhyun slowly undressed her, first slipping her leather jacket off then ing her dark blue jeans.

They slipped and fell onto the lush grass but never detached from each other.

Taeyeon clenched onto Baekhyun's shirt and knew that night was a night to remember forever.

For he was her first and she was his first.

Morning came too early and the nerve wracking game came too soon.

Taeyeon kissed Baekhyun good luck and Baekhyun bit onto his mouthguard.

It was fourth quarter.

There was an uneasy presence as the two teams were tied.

"It seems number 88 Kim Jongin is going to catch the ball and oh! Interception! The guest has hold of the ball!! And. And-OOHH!! They make it. This calls for a kickoff!" Taeyeon cheers on for defense when she starts coughing and her coach calls her down.

"What's up with you, Taeyeon?" She asked, worried. Taeyeon grabbed a bottle and took a sip.

"I'm fine. I'll be alright, coach." She assured as she ran back to her peers, lightly coughing.

"It's number 4 Byun!! He's their MVP as I have been told! Let's see what he's got! There's only three seconds left!!!"

The amount of pressure built up soon exploded with rage on one side and victory on the other.

"Byun makes it!!!!!" The cheer leaders start cheering loudly over the roar of happiness but

Taeyeon starts coughing.

Baekhyun can't stop himself.

"Wait!! What is he doing!!!?? Stop running, kid!!!" Baekhyun runs straight into the pole unable to stop his legs,

hitting the side of his face,

snapping his right collarbone,

and his whole right arm.

He falls to the ground unconscious and no one could process what had just happened.

 

Taeyeon can't stop coughing into her palm.

She tries to look up to see what's happening but she sees nothing but blood on her palm.

She falls to the ground, fainting from blood loss and chest burning from unbearable pain.

"Taeyeon!!" Sunny screams as she bends down to her.

"Get the medic out there NOW!!!!!!!" The announcer yelled as he ran from his seat.
 

Taeyeon awakens in the hospital.

She sits up and observes the room.

There are foreign words.

They seem French and Italian at the same time.

The door to her room opens and her 2 year old nephew comes running in holding flowers.

Taeyeon's mother walks in right behind him.

"Good morning, Taeyeonnie!" He exclaimed as he tried wrapping his small arms around her waist.

"Mom? Where am I?" She asked. Her mother shut the door behind her softly.

"Europe...and...you never told me you smoked."

Taeyeon was diagnosed with COPD.
 

Baekhyun awakens to the smell of carcinogen and bold cologne.

"You're finally awake." A deep monotone voice boomed through the room.

Baekhyun tried sitting up but couldn't move a muscle.

He looked down at his own torso in panic then his eyes slowly filled with sorrow as he remembered what had happened.

"Byun Baekhyun." Baekhyun looked up at the old man with a cigaret in his mouth. "I saw your game and I would like to seek you out. I will pay for all your injuries and insurance.

Would you like to join the NFL?"

 

*Seven years later*

 

"C'mon! Hurry, Taeyeonnie! Let's go!" Taeyeon's nephew pulled her hand.

"I'm going. I'm going." She said.

There was a huge NFL football game today in England.

The San Francisco 49ers v.s. The Seattle Seahawks.

"C'mon!" Her nephew pushed even more.

They were soon seated and the game started.

"GIVE IT UP FOR THE SAN FRAN 49ERS!!!!"

The football players dash out at full speed with the smallest one in front.

"WOW!! NUMBER 4 BYUN BAEKHYUN IS A SPEEDY RABBIT!! HE'S OUT IN FRONT!!"

Taeyeon's heart stopped as she watched the small male jump up in down and pound his chest. Her nephew tugged her sleeve.

"He's my favorite, Taeyeonnie! Baekhyunnie!! Look over here!!" All Taeyeon could do was stare at him and have flashbacks.

Half time came soon and then the god damn camera on the big tv came with it like a ribbon on a big fat present.

The camera shone on Taeyeon and the man beside her.

There was a heart border and as usual, they mistook the two.

Taeyeon knew then that Baekhyun saw her and was running to her.

Baekhyun rushed through his football team and pushed past Chanyeol.

He ran as fast as he could up the bleachers and down the rows with tears in his eyes.

He could never forget Taeyeon nor the shady tree.

He picked Taeyeon up and kissed her.

You could hear loud cheers and camera flashes as the MVP found his long lost love.

 

That shady tree on the lush green hill had done its job and did not bloom any longer.