Years Gone By

Dream Me Alive

The first time Sehun meets him he is three, chubby legs propelling him forward as he careens away from the park chasing after the runaway Pororo ball. Behind him he can hear Jongin laughing and clapping excitedly by the slides, where the two had been playing catch. His legs carry him away fast, the hill causing him to gain momentum until he is tumbling down it faster than his mind can comprehend. He tries to regain control of his legs but they are still vaguely foreign to him. He loses his footing and tumbles down the few feet that are left of the small hill, landing sprawled in the road. Sehun spots a rip in his jeans, a slightly oozing wound visible from the hole. Sehun examines it wearily. It stings slightly. He contemplates crying because Jongin had done it earlier when he had fallen off the swings and skinned his elbow. His wound had had blood coming out of it too. But Sehun is distracted by a movement off to his right. His Pororo ball. Standing up carefully, he wobbles over to the ball picking it up in triumph. He turns back to the park and holds it over his head, beaming at Jongin. However it’s not Jongin he sees, it’s his mother. Her face looks funny and he frowns slightly. He almost doesn’t hear the screeching sound over his mother’s agonizing yell.

“SEHUN!” And Sehun is scared. His mother had yelled at him before, but never loudly. And never in that tone. The sound of her voice makes him freeze in his very spot, goose bumps appearing on his arms. But he can still faintly hear the squealing noise and turns to his left. Sehun thinks the scene before him is rather odd. He has never seen a car travel sideways before, nor has he ever heard the noise it is making as it comes closer, faint smoke rising off the tires.

Sehun’s eyes widen as he realizes the car is not stopping. The Pororo ball drops from his hands and his legs begin to tremble. Acting on instinct Sehun closes his eyes. But the impact never comes. Instead Sehun feels a soft breeze. When he opens them he gets a brief glimpse of small pink lips and pale skin. He is in the arms of a man. The man smiles kindly at him before kissing his forehead gently.

Sehun’s eyes flutter close at the sensation. When he opens them he is in his mother’s arms, clutched tightly to her chest as she sobs hysterically.

 

The second time Sehun meets him he is seven. He doesn’t remember much about what happened. He knows he was swimming with Jongin out in the waves. His mother had warned him not to go out too far but a current pulled him further away from shore. After that he remembered his eyes stinging and his chest aching but nothing else.

At least not until he pukes up water and blinks spots away from his eyes. When he can see properly he notices a man crouched above him. Sehun’s head is cradled in the man’s lap while the man stokes Sehun’s wet hair back, away from his eyes. The first thing Sehun notices about the man is that his eyes are a bright ice blue. But the eyes aren't frightening. Sehun feels himself being warmed to his very core as he stares into the others eyes. The man looks at Sehun softly, continuing to his hair comfortingly until Sehun’s eyes flutter shut.

He wakes up to Jongin shaking his shoulders roughly. Sehun looks at the others fearful eyes in confusion. After Jongin inspect the younger boy he lets out a sigh of relief, tears continuing to stream down his face. Jongin falls to the sand beside of him and grasps Sehun’s hand tightly.

“Let’s not tell our moms.”

 

The third time Sehun meets him he is thirteen, skateboarding down the sidewalk in his neighborhood. He isn’t using the helmet or pads that his mother bought him. He doesn’t want to look weak in front of Chanyeol, who is fifteen and thinks Sehun is a baby. Sehun isn’t a baby and is going to prove it to him. He kicks off with his foot hesitantly, rolling down the sidewalk at a steady pace. He has been practicing for a few weeks and thinks it’s time to show Chanyeol. He comes up to the older boy’s house. Outside in the front yard a few boys hang around Chanyeol in a lose circle. Chanyeol is already taller than the boys surrounding him, although some are older than him. They all look over at Sehun as he approaches on his skateboard.

He prays to God that he won’t face plant in front of the boys and doesn’t. He softly sticks his foot out, slowing the board to a stop and even manages to stomp down on the end of the board so that he can catch it with his right hand. Sehun tries to repress his smile.

“Ah. I see the baby made it. I thought you would chicken out.” Chanyeol coos at Sehun, smiling sarcastically at him. He has a menacing glint in his eye. The others follow Chanyoel’s lead, murmuring about how much of a baby Sehun is and about how he shouldn’t waste their time. Sehun pays them no mind as he stares squarely at Chanyeol, trying to keep his voice from shaking.

“I’m not a chicken.” Sehun says as he walks over to the crowd of boys. Chanyeol can hear the slight tremor in his voice.

“Prove it.” Chanyeol smirks down at Sehun. He has about four inches on the other. Sehun gulps audibly and glances around at the group of boys who are nodding along to everything Chanyeol says.

“Drop down into my pool. Then we’ll see if you’re a real baby.” Chanyeol smirks triumphantly at Sehun as he sees the others eyes widen in fear. But Sehun is too stubborn to say no. He gives Chanyeol a curt nod.

Sehun follows Chanyeol around to the back of the house, Chanyeol’s posse bringing up the rear. He looks down into the empty pool, at the way the red and orange leaves look laying lifelessly at the bottom. He gulps again, causing the others to snicker. But to their surprise Sehun drops his board to the ground and steps onto it, half of it hanging out over the pool. The others fall silent as they watch Sehun in anticipation.

Sehun takes a deep breath and puts pressure on his right foot. He closes his eyes. He lets himself drop. Sehun feels the air rush past him as he glides down towards the bottom of the pool. He thinks he might make it till he feels himself leaning to the side dangerously. He opens his eyes wide and waits for the feeling of cement on skin. But it never comes.

Sehun feels himself being pulled firmly in the arms of another and glances up just in time to catch a glimpse of piercing blue eyes and flowing blonde hair. Sehun’s not sure what happens but one second he is almost touching his nose to the ground and the next he is standing at the bottom of the pool with his board in his hand. He glances up at the others in a daze.

“Huh. You’re not such a loser after all.” Chanyeol smiles down at Sehun and Sehun feels his lips pull up in return.

In that moment Sehun starts to think of the man as his own personal savior.

 

The fourth time Sehun meets him he is fifteen and at school. He is frozen in the hallway as he watches his ex-best friend getting beaten to a pulp. Jongin is on his knees as Chanyeol and his friends lay into him, taking turns in causing the younger boy pain. Sehun feels his stomach clench as he stares at the scene from the safety of the crowd. He doesn’t know what to do. On one hand he had slowly been winning approval from Chanyeol over the years and didn’t want to ruin it by stepping in to help Jongin. But on the other hand Sehun and Jongin had been friends since birth and even though their friendship had been waning over the years he still felt a connection to the other.

Sehun had tried to convince Jongin to become friends with Chanyeol as well but the other had not listened. Jongin had too much pride to bow down to a bully like Park Chanyeol. As Sehun had gotten closer to Chanyeol he had gotten further from Jongin. The two haven’t spoken for the past three months. And just like that their friendship had ended and Jongin had become Chanyeol's punching bag.

Now as Sehun watches Jongin get punched repeatedly he feels lost. So very very lost. His eyes begin to glisten as he turns his head away from the scene, no longer able to stand the sight of so much blood leaving the others body. As Sehun turns his head away he can feel the eyes of another boring into him. He looks up to see a man staring at him from the other side of the crowd.

His hair is bleach blonde and blowing softly, although there is no breeze inside of the school building. His face is pale, almost white. The only splash of color on the other are his bright blue eyes and small pink lips, which are pulled down into a frown. This is the first time Sehun has seen his savior from a distance and been able to drink in his features. The other is unbearable beautiful and perfect. He is also a bit shorter than the boy, Sehun having hit a dramatic growth spurt over the past year.

As Sehun stares into the other’s eyes, he feels the world falling away. The sound of the jeering crowd and fist against flesh thinning out until all he can hear is white noise. Sehun feels as if he’s drowning in the other’s eyes. So many feelings flash through his body. His longing for the other is terrible. He longs to run his fingers through the others hair and across his lips but can’t seem to move.

Sehun’s eyes begin to water from prolonged staring but Sehun doesn’t want to blink them. He knows from past experiences that if he does the other will disappear. So Sehun continues to stare until the other looks away and nods towards something to Sehun’s right. And the scene reappears. Sehun’s savior had been nodding towards Jongin, where he now lays sprawled on the floor, staring at Sehun, eyes begging for help.

Sehun’s savior glances back up at him as if telling him to help the other. So Sehun takes a hesitant step out of the safety of the crowd and towards the commotion. However, he is stopped when Chanyeol’s eyes glance up and land of him. Chanyeol takes in his hesitant stance and raises he eyebrows at the younger. He then grabs Jongin up by the hair and drags him over to Sehun, depositing the boy in front of him.

“Hit him.” Chanyeol demands, glaring at Sehun. And Sehun knows this is a test, to see if he has what it takes to be a part of Chanyeol’s inner circle.

Sehun pauses and looks back over to his savior, who is staring at him imploringly. He then glances back at Chanyeol. Then down at Jongin. Then back to Chanyeol.

“I said hit him.” Sehun knows this is his final warning. He sends one last desperate look to the man in the crowd, but the man just stares at him, making no move to interfere.

“Did you not hear me?” Chanyeol asks through his teeth as he grabs Sehun up by his collar. Sehun has never been this scared in his life. So Sehun makes his first life changing decision in that instant.

His fist comes away throbbing slightly with blood on it. Sehun doesn’t look down at Jongin. He just continues to look at his savior. He doesn’t miss the disappointment on his saviors face as he turns his head away and vanishes.

It is in that moment that Sehun begins to hate himself. It is also in that moment that Sehun realizes he is in love with him, because his heart begins to break into a million pieces.

 

Sehun expects to meet him for the fifth time at eighteen. His lays on the ground in the fetal position with his hands covering his head. Chanyeol and his friends are surrounding him, kicking and stomping on every available surface of Sehun’s body. But Sehun doesn’t despair, because he knows his savior will be there to save him from the nightmare that has become his life. He almost welcomes the sharp pain he feels as a few of his ribs crack under the pressure of Chanyeol’s boot. But his savior doesn’t come for him; still, he waits. Time crawls by slowly as the beating continues until Sehun can’t breathe and he is black and blue. Only then does Chanyeol tell the others to stop. Only then does Sehun realize the reality of the situation. His savior did not come for him. And now his initiation is over.

Chanyeol reaches his hand down for Sehun to grab, beaming above him. As Sehun grasps his hand to pull himself up from the ground he realizes that only now has the nightmare really begun.

 

Sehun doesn’t expect to meet him at the tender age of twenty two. He’s sprawled on the ground, gasping for breath on the cold dirty floor. A needle lays beside of him, the rusty tip the only color in the dank abandoned building.

“You came.” Sehun gasps out feebly, reaching towards the other as black spots dance before his eyes. He hadn’t abandoned him after all. The other crouches down, grasping Sehun’s hand in his to feel the boy’s slowing pulse. A shiver runs through his body as he glances over his shoulder. Sehun can’t raise his head enough to see what’s caught the others attention. His savior glances back down at Sehun, eyes taking on a determined gleam. A faint glow begins to surround the man as he leans down towards Sehun, brushing his lips against Sehun’s in the briefest of touches. Sehun in a surprised breath, but instead of air the faint light that is surround his savior enters him.

Sehun gasps again and finally draws in a normal shaky breath, lungs expanding healthily. Sehun’s savior runs his hand through the boy’s hair and down along his jaw line. His aura is still glowing, though softer than before. But before Sehun has a chance to lean into the rare touch, the air is interrupted and another appears. Sehun watches as his savior falls to his knees in acceptance; the newcomer reaches out, touching the man’s chest softly. Sehun’s savior falls down weakly beside of him upon being touched, eyes now level with his own. His light is now gone, absorbed by the newcomer.

Sehun’s eyes connect one last time with his protectors. The other looks at him longingly, eyes b with so many vivid emotions and memories, even as they dull from bright blue to white. Sehun feels as if he has forgot something very important. Something he should have remembered forever. Just as his savior opens he mouth to speak to Sehun for the first time the two men disappear, leaving Sehun alone on the ground.

It is in that moment that Sehun makes his second life changing decision.

 

Year go by. Decades pass. Sehun gets his life together. He graduates college at the age of thirty and gets his first desk job at the age of thirty two. He works his way up to the position of director at thirty nine and buys his first house at forty two. He father dies when he is forty three and his mother follows along shortly after. Sehun runs into Jongin at the age of forty four. The two reconnect and slowly gain back their past friendship. But Sehun never stops waiting. He waits in vain for the return of his savior.

But his savior never returns. Not even when Sehun gets into his first car accident at the age of twenty eight. Or the time Sehun breaks his leg while going mountain biking with his company at the age of thirty five. Or the time Sehun gets robbed at gun point at the age of forty eight. Or the first time Sehun has a heart attack at the age of seventy one. Sehun’s savior never returns.

That is until that fateful day in November.

 

Sehun meets him for the last time at the ripe age of eighty nine. And he knows why. He stands above his own body, looking down at the aftermath of his heart attack. He knows that he can still be saved, still be revived if an ambulance got there in time. But he knows it won’t. Sehun doesn’t have anyone who will come to check on him. The maid only comes by twice a week. Jongin is living in a nursing home three hours away. No one will find him in time. But Sehun feels no pain or remorse about the ending of his life.

That’s when Sehun see him. The man looks just as he did all those years ago when Sehun was three, beautiful to the point of it being unbearable. His eyes are not white, but bright blue. He is also glowing softly. And Sehun feel relief. So much relief that it’s almost painful. Sehun’s eyes begin to water. His protector opens his arms wide, waiting. Sehun steps into them quickly, clutching the shorter man to his chest.

“I would never leave you, Sehun. I will be with you forever.” Sehun freezes as he hears the sound of the man’s voice. It is so soft. A ballad Sehun never wishes to be rid of. Sehun would happily drown in that voice.

He opens his mouth to say something. Anything. Because over the years he had had so many questions. Like why did he save Sehun? Why didn’t he come when he was eighteen? Or twenty eight? Or thirty five? Why did he come to Sehun when he was twenty two? Who was the other one that came with him? What exactly happened that day? But those aren’t the questions that tumble from his mouth.

“What’s your name?” Sehun whispers this softly, afraid that if he speaks too loudly he will awake from this dream.

“Suho.” The man responds after a few seconds of contemplation and Sehun thinks the name is very fitting. His protector. His Suho.

Suho then kisses Sehun for the second time and everything falls away.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Yay. The first chapter is done. I’ve been working on it all day off and on. I made Chanyeol a . I’m sorry. Haha.This is unedited for the most part. But I hope you like it. Two more chapters to go. Leave me a lovely comment telling me what you think:)