Chapter 7

Her Strings of Disaster :: Gokusen 2 :: Yabuki Hayato

The buzzing of her digital alarm clock roused a black-haired girl from her slumber. She groggily reached out to silence the alarm, and as she cracked one eye open, she glanced at the clock. Her eyes widened. "I'm late again!" Reiko exclaimed, quickly throwing off her bedcovers and proceeding with her morning routine in a hurry.

 

She rushed out of her house, a mix of brisk walking and occasional running propelling her toward her school. Checking her watch, she let out a frustrated sigh, suddenly realizing why she had overslept. It was because of the kiss she and Hayato had shared. After that kiss, no words had been exchanged, except for the parting farewell from Hayato as he headed home.

 

She paused, panting slightly, now standing in front of her school. She walked calmly towards the school building, her brow furrowing upon hearing the loud buzz of commotion from inside the classroom. She stopped and peered at Hayato, who stood just outside the room.

 

Reiko could hear her classmates discussing the possibility of a duel with Shibuya, who had harmed some of their fellow students. However, Head Teacher Sawatari was also present, warning them that engaging in a fight would lead to expulsion. Yamaguchi attempted to calm his students and dissuade them from pursuing reckless actions like confronting Shibuya's students.

 

“What will you get if you do that?!” Ryu suddenly let out, towards Tsuchiya and the others; making everyone stop and look at him.

 

“We have to put an end to all of this, you know.” Hyuuga answered as Tsuchiya look at him and to his fellow classmates.

 

“It’s no use if we keep competing with Ara High.” Tsuchiya quip; suddenly looking at Ryu seriously. “Don’t selfishly go and bow your head down to them like last time,”

 

Ryu stop and look down as Takeda look down as well. “If you hadn’t done that back then, it would’ve ended already.” Ryu sighs at Tsuchiya’s statement and look away. “It’s your fault the competition between Ara High and us is not finished yet.”

 

Takeda couldn’t take all the wrong things being judged towards Ryu as he stood and look at Tsuchiya. “You’re wrong.” Takeda let out as Ryu look at him.

 

“Take!” he called out as Takeda look at him.

 

“Ryu didn’t do anything wrong,” Takeda let out as everyone went quiet, and so did Yamaguchi who look at Takeda confusedly.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“What happened back then, it was my entire fault. When it was decided we were going to fight that school, I started getting scared. I really wanted to avoid it.” Takeda said as he paused and look at Ryu, then look down at the floor. “I’m not as strong as Hayato or Ryu. I didn’t know what I would do if I was expelled, I wasn’t afraid of getting expelled before but...” Takeda sighed and look at Tsuchiya and the others.

 

“But we’re going to graduate soon. Even my mom didn’t think that I would be able to graduate. She was really happy I got so far, so I didn’t want to disappoint her. I know its lame thinking like that, so I asked Ryu about it...” Takeda then look at Ryu. “And Ryu told me to leave it to him.”

 

“Ryu bowed his head to that school all alone just for me.” Takeda reveals as Hayato and Reiko heard everything outside the room.

 

Reiko approached Hayato in silence, gently patting his shoulder. Hayato turned his gaze slowly to the side to find Reiko there. "Whatever you decide to do... I'll be there to support you... always," Reiko whispered softly. Hayato suddenly recalled what Yamaguchi had told him the previous day.

 

“It’s meaningless to measure how strong you are using strength. As long as you have the strength to protect what is important to you, that’s all you need. There are many ways of achieving that.”

 

“Hey.” Hayato let out as Reiko look at him. “Let’s go,” Reiko smiles and gives Hayato a small nod, leaving their building and school; going straight where Ara High hangs out, their bags lying outside of their room.

 

 

Reiko and Hayato walk towards an abandoned warehouse, Reiko was just behind Hayato as students of Ara High looks at them; some were holding weapons such as metal pipes, baseball bats and woods.

 

“You alone?” It was Shibuya whom states it, but suddenly saw Reiko behind Hayato’s back. “You’re with that girl.”

 

“I have a request.” Hayato announces as he looks at Shibuya.

 

“Request?”

 

“Let’s make this the end. Let’s finish the conflict between Kurogin and Ara High.” Hayato let out as they saw Shibuya scoffs.

 

“Okay.” Shibuya simply said as Hayato looks at him seriously.

 

“Don’t ever lay a hand on anyone from our school,”

 

“I understand. So, where are your friends?” Shibuya let out as he suddenly looks at Reiko. “And why did you bring a girl here? Was she an offering?”

 

Reiko scoffs, standing beside Hayato. “Don’t tell me, you forgot the one who makes your face beaten like a pulp.” She quips as one of the students of Ara High look at her with a frown and worried look.

 

“They’re not here,”

 

Shibuya scoffs, suddenly chuckling. “Don’t tell me you and that girl goes here alone?”

 

“I alone am enough for all of you!”

 

Shibuya took a step forward, “Don’t underestimate us!”

 

“Shibuya!” the guy who looks at Reiko a while ago called out as Shibuya pauses and look at him.

 

“What?!”

 

The guy then points his finger towards Reiko, “That’s Masaki Reiko of the West Side, she’s, their Queen!” Reiko rolled her eyes off as Hayato smirks, suddenly attacking Shibuya.

 

The battle commenced, with Reiko running toward the students from Ara High. Hayato was thrown down by a student who gripped his collars, but he wriggled violently to evade another approaching attacker. Though he hadn't seen the student in front of him, the person suddenly delivered a punch to his stomach. Hayato staggered, clutching his abdomen in pain, but he managed to kick the assailant away and dodge their attacks.

 

Reiko, well-versed in street fights from her past encounters, engaged the students one by one. She skillfully evaded their advances, and when one of them threw a punch, she easily sidestepped it and deftly slid her leg out, causing the student to tumble onto the ground. She swiftly got back on her feet, but another student came up behind her and grabbed her roughly. Wincing, Reiko struggled to break free from the person's grip.

 

"Is this really the Queen of the West Side?" taunted a student who stood in front of her. He was about to say more, but Hayato forcefully shoved him away from Reiko. She seized the opportunity to slide down and deliver an elbow to the guy's abdomen.

 

She nodded at Hayato, silently expressing her gratitude as they continued to fight against the remaining students. Hayato skillfully evaded their attacks, but he was eventually pushed to the ground while other students delivered kicks to him. Reiko noticed this and hurried over to him, but she found herself surrounded by other students.

 

"Move away," Reiko growled, as the students underestimated her due to their height advantage, looking down on her with smirks. She scoffed and smirked back at them before darting toward the nearest student. Stomping her left foot forcefully, she swung her right leg toward the side of the guy. She glanced over at Hayato, who was being held while Shibuya punched him in the gut.

 

“Hayato!” she called out with concern, attempting to push the guys away from her. However, two of them firmly held onto her arms. "Let go of me!" she growled, each word dripping with danger as she struggled to break free from their grasp. Another guy moved behind her and forcefully pushed her down onto the ground. Reiko knelt on the ground in a vulnerable and painful position, her eyes fixed on Hayato, who was enduring harm.

 

They forced Hayato to stand, and Shibuya raised his fist menacingly. Reiko's eyes widened in alarm as she witnessed someone grasp Shibuya's hand. It was her cousin, Ryu.

 

"Odagiri, what are you doing here?" Shibuya questioned.

 

Ryu glanced at her and then at Hayato before sighing deeply. "Reiko, Hayato... don't engage in something like this." With that statement, he swiftly punched Shibuya squarely in the face, causing the guy to fall to the ground. Hayato took advantage of the distraction to push one of his assailants away and deliver a kick to another guy's gut.

 

Reiko, on the other hand, glanced to the side and swung her arms forcefully, breaking free from the two guys who were holding onto her. She repeated the motion with her other arm, sending both of them tumbling away. Another guy who had been holding her shoulders to keep her kneeling was punched in the side by Hayato. Hayato helped Reiko to her feet.

 

"Thanks," Reiko said as she, Hayato, and Ryu converged in the center, surrounded by Ara High students.

 

However, before they could regroup, Hayato and Ryu were struck in their abdomens and fell to the ground. One of the guys faced Reiko and punched her in the stomach. Reiko's eyes widened as she coughed, struggling to catch her breath. She dropped to the ground, kneeling and clutching her aching stomach. Hayato quickly shielded her from further attacks, taking a blow to his side. Ryu did the same, protecting Reiko's back.

 

"Ryu-nii... Hayato..." Reiko murmured as she looked at the faces of her cousin and friend, both injured while shielding her.

 

Suddenly, Shibuya and the others ceased their attacks upon seeing Yamaguchi. "You've sunk pretty low to take on three opponents like this," Yamaguchi remarked as Shibuya, holding a metal pipe, looked at Yamaguchi with confusion.

 

“What? Who are you?”

 

“I’m their homeroom teacher.” Yamaguchi simply said as Shibuya and the others look at her.

 

“Sensei?” Shibuya let out, suddenly bursting out laughing; as the others did laugh as well.

 

“Can you return my precious students back to me?” Yamaguchi let out as Hayato, Ryu and Reiko look at her.

 

“You’re acting as if you have the power to take us down. Run home before you get hurt.” Shibuya let out as Yamaguchi sighed and look at them seriously.

 

“Do you want to fight me?”

 

“Fight you?” Yamaguchi let out, looking at every student of the Ara High. “How about I take all of you?” She simply declares as Shibuya look at her.

 

“Don’t kid around,” Shibuya let out, suddenly raising the metal pipe he was holding; and aiming it towards Yamaguchi who simply holds it with her right hand.

 

“A high school student shouldn’t be carrying around dangerous things like this.” Yamaguchi informs as one student holding a bat run towards her; she quickly pushes the pipe Shibuya holds aiming it at the guy as she took a hold of the hilt of the bat and push it at the guy.

 

“A bat is something used to play baseball.” She informs as some students attack Yamaguchi.

 

There was Tsuchiya, Hayato and Takeda at the back looking at their teacher amaze. “Do you still want to fight me?!”

 

Shibuya look at Yamaguchi and to his fellow students, nervously looking away at the teacher. “Let’s go,” and with that, they all run away from the abandoned warehouse.

 

 

River bank

 

Hayato, Reiko, and Ryu sat on the ground while Yamaguchi, Takeda, Tsuchiya, and Hyuuga stood, looking down at them. Reiko let out a sigh, still clutching her stomach in discomfort, though the pain had become more bearable.

 

"Don't be so impulsive and try to handle everything on your own," Takeda chided. Hayato sighed and turned his gaze away.

 

"I didn't have a choice. I needed to put an end to it," Hayato groaned, attempting to sit up. Yamaguchi let out a small sigh and smiled at the two leaders of her section. "I'm the leader of 3D. It's my responsibility," he added. Takeda, Tsuchiya, and Hyuuga avoided eye contact with him. "This is how I handle things. It's the only way," Hayato explained as Reiko and Ryu watched him.

 

Yamaguchi smiled and looked at Hayato. "Yabuki, that's more than enough," she praised him. Hayato glanced away from her gaze, which only made Yamaguchi smile wider. Reiko, from behind, also had a smile on her face.

 

"You two are really similar," Reiko complimented. Hayato and Ryu scoffed simultaneously.

 

"We're nothing alike," Ryu stated, looking away from their friend and teacher.

 

"You're exactly alike, including you, Masaki," Yamaguchi pointed out, smiling. Reiko was taken aback by the comment. "Odagiri didn't hesitate to lower his head for Takeda's sake without worrying about his pride," Yamaguchi explained, glancing from Ryu to Hayato. "And Yabuki, he took on the opponents all by himself, just like Reiko, who always had everyone's back when needed, supporting Hayato during the fight."

 

Reiko sighed and looked away, finally grasping the essence of Yamaguchi's words. "Your methods may differ, but the three of you acted to protect your friends."

 

Ryu turned his gaze to Yamaguchi and then to Takeda. "I didn't do it for Take's sake," he clarified, looking down at his pants as if suddenly fascinated by them. "I just thought his mom would be upset if Take got expelled." Takeda smiled at Ryu's response.

 

"I didn't want anyone to get expelled because of this and harbor ill feelings toward me," Hayato explained, avoiding the earnest gazes of his friends.

 

Yamaguchi then directed her attention to Reiko, who sat between the two guys. "As Yankumi said, I'd feel guilty if I didn't help my friends... that's why..." Reiko mumbled her explanation and stole a quick glance at Hayato.

 

Yamaguchi smiled and nodded. "You guys are truly amazing."

 

“But you guys aren’t fair!” Tsuchiya let out as Hyuuga and Takeda nod in agreement.

 

“That’s right,” Hyuuga chimes, crouching in front of Hayato and look at him. “We’re comrades, no?”

 

Hayato sighed and look at him, “You guys are too weak, you’d just have held me back. Idiots.”

 

”Hey! That’s not true!” Tsuchiya let out, suddenly grinning at Hayato who scoffs and smirks.

 

“You’re going too far,”

 

Yamaguchi smiled and stood up, “Okay everyone, let’s go back to class...”

 

Everyone look at her surprise, as she walks towards where the sun is about to set. Tsuchiya look at her confuse. “What’s with her?”

 

Hyuuga nodded, “She really is weird for a teacher,”

 

Takeda agrees and smiled, looking at Yamaguchi. “But, she’s really interesting.”

 

Everyone, aside from Hayato looks at Yamaguchi; even Reiko. “I’m sorry...” Hayato let out as Reiko and Ryu looked at him; even Tsuchiya, Hyuuga and Takeda look at Hayato. Everyone smiled at what they heard towards Hayato, Reiko was happy; her cousin and Hayato just got along well from now on.

 

“Alright guys!” Yamaguchi let out, pointing where the sun is. “Let’s run towards the horizon. Let’s go!” Yamaguchi happily said as Takeda and Hyuuga helps Ryu, as Tsuchiya and Reiko help Hayato.

 

“We’re injured.” Hayato let out as Reiko chuckled.

 

“Just stop whining and let’s follow her,” she replied as Hayato looks at Reiko as she helped him stood. “I’m happy,” she murmurs as Hayato pause and look down at Reiko. “Ryu-nii and Hayato are friends again,” Hayato only smirks, wriggling Reiko’s hair.