Chapter 19

Her Strings of Disaster :: Gokusen 2 :: Yabuki Hayato

Chapter 19

 

Yamaguchi, Reiko, and the others hurriedly made their way to the lakeside upon learning that Takeda had challenged Okudera due to his involvement with three other girlfriends. Hayato spotted Okudera landing a series of punches on Takeda and immediately directed everyone towards them.

 

Reiko, Hayato, and Ryu took a few steps forward, but Yamaguchi stopped them in their tracks. "Don't. Stay back," she commanded. The three of them looked at her with questioning eyes, uncertain of her intentions. Yamaguchi approached them, her gaze fixed on Takeda with a serious expression that held unwavering pride. "This is his fight," she declared. Takeda understood her message, and he was determined to face Okudera in his own way.

 

Reiko suddenly noticed two new arrivals near the scene—the teacher from Momo Girl's High and Maki herself. Maki appeared confused as she observed the unfolding situation. "Why? I told him never to approach me again," Maki exclaimed, her worry evident as she watched Takeda being beaten by Okudera.

 

"Why can't you understand?" Reiko asked, taking a few steps closer to Maki. "He's doing this for you."

 

"For me?" Maki questioned, her gaze shifting from Reiko to Takeda.

 

Reiko nodded and looked back at Maki. "Takeda is fighting for you. He's trying to protect you," she explained, with Yamaguchi echoing her words as she focused her gaze on Takeda.

 

"Takeda may not possess great strength of will, but he has a pure heart," Reiko emphasized. "He made a mistake, but he's trying to make amends by challenging Okudera, regardless of the outcome." She wanted Maki and the teacher to understand Takeda's true intentions.

 

"He couldn't forgive Okudera for deceiving you and wanted him to sever ties with you. That's why he took on this challenge," Ryu explained, sharing the full story with Maki and the teacher, shedding light on Takeda's protective actions.

 

"Deceiving me?" Maki questioned; her voice filled with disbelief.

 

"He had other girlfriends besides you," Hayato clarified, his gaze fixed on Takeda, expressing his support and desire to strike back at the college student.

 

"Don't try to act tough, you weakling," Okudera taunted, lifting Takeda to his feet, and raising his fist. Takeda closed his eyes, fully aware of what was about to happen. He knew he would lose the fight, but he had no regrets.

 

Just as Okudera was about to strike Takeda, someone intervened, blocking the blow with their own fist. Both Okudera and Takeda were taken aback as Reiko stood there, catching Okudera's fist. Meanwhile, Yamaguchi approached Reiko calmly. "It's over," Reiko declared, her gaze fixed on Okudera, radiating a sense of threat. She pushed his fist away and reached out to support Takeda, while Okudera attempted to retaliate by throwing a punch at Reiko. In that moment, Yamaguchi stepped in front of him, swiftly swinging her fist nearby without making contact.

 

Okudera glanced at Reiko and then at Yamaguchi, who maintained a stern expression. "Please check on him, Reiko," Yamaguchi requested.

 

"Are you okay?" Reiko asked with concern as she looked at Takeda, who appeared weak.

 

"Rei-chan," Takeda replied.

 

Reiko nodded, putting aside the situation with Okudera and focusing solely on Takeda. "You couldn't win," Takeda murmured, to which Reiko responded with a gentle smile and a shake of her head.

 

"You did well, you looked great, Take," Reiko reassured him, letting out a sigh. "I'm sorry for hitting you yesterday." She hugged Takeda, and footsteps could be heard as Hayato and the rest of their friends approached them.

 

Breaking away from the hug, Reiko turned her attention to Maki, who was ignoring Okudera. Maki knelt in front of Takeda and offered him her handkerchief. "Are you alright?" she asked. Takeda smiled softly and accepted Maki's gesture.

 

"Gomen ne," Maki apologized, but Takeda smiled and shook his head. Tsuchiya and Hyuga started teasing Takeda, and everyone smiled as the tension dissipated. Okudera left the scene.

 

 

Valentines Day~

 

Reiko faced the dreaded day ahead as she made her way to school, observing some students happily receiving chocolates. Suddenly, her phone buzzed in her pocket, prompting her to retrieve it and read the text message she had received. With a lackluster expression, she glanced at her phone, recognizing Mizuo's number but suspecting that it was actually Daisuke texting.

 

"Ganbatte, Queen~" that mischievous jester seemed to enjoy teasing her. Following the incident with Takeda the day before, Reiko had reached out to them to purchase ingredients for making chocolates. She was determined to give it one more try, hoping to create a tasty treat for Hayato, even if it didn't turn out aesthetically pleasing due to the quick hardening of the chocolate. Daisuke and Mizuo, once again, became the unwitting test subjects for the chocolates she had prepared.

 

"What a frustrating day... How did things come to this, anyway?" she grumbled, clutching a small paper bag containing her homemade chocolate and carefully placing it inside her backpack, attempting to conceal it from view.

 

Inside the room, each person held a piece of chocolate, including Reiko, who received one from Yankumi. Everyone gazed at the chocolates warily, unsure of their taste. Reiko looked at her chocolate incredulously, realizing that it resembled her own creation. She grimly examined it before shifting her gaze to Hayato.

 

"What is this?" Ryu questioned, while Yamaguchi beamed cheerfully at them.

 

"These are chocolates filled with love from me to all of you," Yamaguchi proudly replied, satisfied with her accomplishment.

 

"They don't look like chocolates at all," Takeda murmured, with everyone else nodding in agreement.

 

Reiko let out a sigh and popped the chocolate into . Ryu and Hayato looked at her in disbelief.

 

"Delicious!" Okumai's voice exclaimed, praising Yamaguchi's chocolate. All eyes turned to him. Reiko's face lit up, and she glanced at Ryu and Hayato.

 

"Yeah, it's really tasty! Thank you, Yankumi!" Reiko responded, further delighting Yamaguchi.

 

Everyone still appeared surprised as they cautiously took a bite.

 

"It doesn't taste as bad as it looks," Hayato remarked after sampling it. Reiko observed him intently. Would he have the same reaction when he received her chocolate later? She sighed, feeling anxious.

 

 

 

The school day had come to an end, and Reiko still hadn't given the chocolate to Hayato, pondering whether it was the right thing to do. They walked side by side on the sidewalk, Hayato's hands comfortably tucked inside his pants pockets. Reiko glanced at him and let out a sigh.

 

"Do you want to hang out at my place for a while?" she offered, and Hayato shrugged in response.

 

"Sure, I don't have anything else to do," he replied, and she nodded in agreement as they approached her residence.

 

After Reiko unlocked the door, they entered the house. She closed the door behind them while Hayato removed his shoes and placed them neatly in the shoe rack. Reiko followed suit. "Well, what a day!" Reiko sighed, and Hayato nodded, taking a seat on the couch.

 

Hayato smirked, breaking the silence. "So... am I about to receive something?" Reiko looked at him quizzically, chuckling.

 

"What makes you say that?" she asked, settling down beside him, her bag placed on the table in front of them.

 

"Just a hunch?"

 

"A hunch, or did you sneak a peek into my bag?"

 

"Anyway... are you giving it to me?" Hayato inquired, and Reiko shook her head. She reached into her bag and pulled out the chocolate, stealing a glance at Hayato, who looked at it with curiosity, making her feel anxious.

 

"You're making me nervous," she remarked.

 

"Oh, don't worry. I already know you're not the best cook, so I don't have high expectations," he teased.

 

Reiko's eyes widened, and she playfully hit Hayato on the shoulder. "That's not nice, you goof! Who told you that?" Hayato chuckled as he took the chocolate from her hand and unwrapped it.

 

"Interestingly enough, you and the girls turned Daisuke and Mizuo into experimental subjects for your cooking," Hayato revealed, recalling their encounter with them at the café. Reiko pouted as Hayato opened the small box and peeked inside, finding a somewhat imperfectly molded chocolate. "Well, wish me luck," he muttered, hoping for a positive outcome.

 

Hayato selected one chocolate from the box and placed it in his mouth. As he chewed, he looked at Reiko and nodded with a smile. "Well, would you look at that, it actually tastes good," he declared, observing the joy that lit up in Reiko's eyes.

 

"Yes, I did it!" she exclaimed, cheering in triumph. She turned to Hayato and kissed him directly on the lips before pulling back. Hayato was momentarily stunned, simply enjoying the chocolate, when suddenly he received this unexpected surprise from his girlfriend.

 

"Well, that wasn't very nice," Hayato murmured, echoing Reiko's previous words, but he couldn't help but smile, witnessing Reiko's happiness and fulfillment from her achievement.