Chapter 22

Her Strings of Disaster :: Gokusen 2 :: Yabuki Hayato

Chapter 22

 

Reiko found herself standing in front of the entrance of Tokyo University, filled with a sense of trepidation as she attempted to pass the college exam. The only individuals aware of her plans were the school director, Yamaguchi, Hayato, and the rest of her friends, with the exception of Hyuga, who was still absent due to his part-time job.

 

The previous night, Mizuo had contacted her, informing her of Hayato's request and surprising her with his deep concern for Hyuga. She couldn't help but feel proud of Hayato for showing such worry. To her astonishment, the bar where Hyuga worked turned out to be similar to the Frentzen bar.

 

With determined strides, she made her way towards the University, searching for her assigned room. She needed to perform well on the college entrance exam in order to pass. Additionally, she wanted to finish the exam quickly so that she could assist in the search for Hyuga.

 

After a long walk, she arrived at the room and quietly excused herself, double-checking with a staff member if it was indeed the correct room for the college entrance exam. The staff member confirmed it, handing her the admission slip and nodding as she reviewed the details before receiving the test booklet. Taking a seat at the farthest corner, she let out a heavy sigh before directing her attention to the booklet and its questionnaires.

 

"Come what may," she murmured, as she began to read.

 

 

After three hours of diligently answering the college entrance exam, Reiko quickly reviewed her booklet, nodding in satisfaction with her answers. She promptly handed it over to the staff and swiftly exited the room, dashing out of the university. The sound of a motorcycle engine revving caught her attention, and she smirked as she spotted Mizuo's familiar bike. Mizuo tossed a helmet in her direction, and she caught it deftly, immediately putting it on.

 

"You know where we're headed," Reiko remarked, and she could hear a faint chuckle from Mizuo.

 

"This is bound to be another intriguing escapade for Class 3D," he responded.

 

"Well, what else would you expect from heirs of the yakuza?" she quipped.

 

"Shut it," he retorted.

 

"Understood, Queen."

 

 

The destination Mizuo rode his bike to was a place familiar to both of them, illuminated by the bright lights of the billboard at Hyuga's workplace. Mizuo slowed down as Reiko swiftly dismounted the bike, removing her helmet and handing it back to Mizuo. "Later," Mizuo said, understanding that Reiko was about to rush off towards the warehouse near the building.

 

"Where are those mother*****rs?!" Reiko shouted as she observed several men lying unconscious on the ground. Hayato and the rest of her friends were there, along with Yamaguchi and a woman who appeared to be Hyuga's mother.

 

Reiko covered , not pleased with the fact that she cursed in front of an adult. She hurriedly ran towards them, letting out a sigh after the long sprint. "Geez, you didn't even leave me anyone to punch," she muttered, leaning beside Ryu.

 

She took a calm breath and looked at Hyuga and his mother before bowing. "I know this might not be the best time, but it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Masaki Reiko, your son's classmate. Despite his flaws, he's truly a good friend," Reiko said, and Hyuga's mother smiled, shifting her gaze from Reiko to her son.

 

"It seems my son has made trustworthy and kind friends," she said, beaming with pride. "We'll be leaving now."

 

Reiko and the others nodded. "We'll see you at school tomorrow, Hyuga," Yamaguchi remarked.

 

"Don't be late."

 

"Make sure you come."

 

"We'll be waiting!"

 

Ryu and Reiko waved at him, smiling, as Hyuga's eyes lit up, and he waved back.

 

"Parents are amazing," Yamaguchi exclaimed, prompting Reiko to avert her gaze. Ryu noticed this and silently shook his head, unnoticed by the others.

 

 

The next day~

 

Class 3D displayed their usual demeanor as Tsuchiya, Hyuga, and Takeda engaged in playful banter about the events of the previous night. Hayato, Ryu, and Reiko watched with amusement from behind. "The school didn't find out about Hyuga working at that place," Hayato remarked, and Yamaguchi nodded in agreement.

 

"Yes, there are certain things in this world that should remain secret," Yamaguchi replied, nodding to herself. Ryu chimed in with a casual remark, "Like your house." This made Yamaguchi nervously glance at him and motion for him to keep quiet.

 

"You're not planning to take over the business, are you?" Hayato asked, directing his question to Yamaguchi, who turned her attention to him as well.

 

Changing the subject, Reiko sat down on a chair beside Hayato, crossing one leg over the other as she rested her chin on her fist. "By the way, why did you become a teacher coming from that household?" she inquired.

 

Yamaguchi smiled and explained, "Well, it has always been my dream to become a teacher. When I was finally able to decide for myself, it was what I wanted to do the most. And my grandfather allowed me to pursue my passion."

 

Curiosity piqued, she turned the question back to Hayato and Ryu. "What about your dreams?" Hayato inspected his nails with great interest, while Ryu averted his gaze. Reiko shrugged in response to Yamaguchi's query. "Nope, I'll let the others decide for me."

 

Yamaguchi furrowed her brow, and the two boys looked at Reiko, confused. Reiko paused and chuckled. "Just kidding," she laughed, sighing as she leaned back in her chair. "I'm still not sure what I truly want, so I'll go with the flow."

 

Yamaguchi smiled warmly. "Well, there's no rush. Take your time."

 

"Look for it at your own pace, young men and women," she added.

 

 

"Look for it at your own pace, huh?" Reiko murmured as she sat comfortably on her couch with Mizuo and the others. Daisuke, Shuriko, and Euna sat on the floor facing her flat-screen TV, engrossed in playing her console. Mizuo calmly sipped his hot tea from the other chair, occasionally glancing at Reiko.

 

"Is Yamaguchi trying to motivate you?" he asked. Reiko raised an eyebrow and scoffed in response.

 

"More like giving me a headache," she answered, lying down on her couch and sighing. "Wouldn't it be easier to just run away?"

 

"What? That your fate has already been decided?" Mizuo grumbled. Reiko closed her eyes.

 

"I'd rather work on a farm than become something I don't want." Mizuo chuckled at the straightforwardness of the girl beside him.

 

"Well, if that's what you want, then tell him," Mizuo suggested. Reiko scoffed.

 

"As if he'll agree."

 

*Ding~*

 

The doorbell of Reiko's house rang, causing everyone to pause and exchange glances. "Were you expecting someone?" Reiko shook her head and sat up, making her way to the door and opening it. She was taken by surprise as Hayato's face pressed against her, his head resting on her neck.

 

"Ha-Hayato-kun," she stammered, feeling Hayato hum in response. "I thought you went home?"

 

"Well, I'm here," he replied.

 

"Would you like to stay?" Reiko offered, and Hayato simply nodded, his arm still draped over her shoulder.

 

"Ehhhh, so it's Yabuki-kun, huh?" Shuriko teased, as footsteps were heard approaching. Daisuke and Euna peeked their heads out to confirm. Hayato pulled back from the hug, but his arm remained around Reiko's shoulder as he greeted her friends.

 

"Forgive my intrusion tonight," he declared, wearing a smirk as he cast a glance at the blushing Reiko. Before stepping into the living room, he planted a gentle peck on her lips. His shoes were already neatly arranged on the shoe rack.

 

"So, Queen, is Yabuki going to stay here for the night?" Daisuke inquired, checking his wristwatch. "Well, it's almost midnight, and I believe it's not safe to be walking at this hour." Shuriko and Euna burst into laughter as they returned to the room.