Part I

Cursed Heart

“And you, Do Kyungsoo, shall hang by the neck until dead.”

 

The words had the small male’s thick eyebrows arched, though his thick, rosy lips remained in a small, vaguely amused smirk. His gaze traveled along the crowd, taking in each and every expression of those that stared up at him. Some seemed to be frightened, and they kept their distance, slowly inching towards the back of the large audience. Others looked almost disinterested, though there were hints of unwanted pity laced on their faces. A few, Kyungsoo noticed, seemed to be amused - their sick, twisted minds causing them to bounce with anticipation for the public execution. They almost seemed impatient as they tapped their feet and rubbed their hands together. Kyungsoo grimaced at these people - he could never understand why so many were drawn to the public hangings and beheadings that the king requested, let alone why they found it a form of entertainment.

 

And people think I’m sick, the man thought bitterly, running his tongue over his lips and twisting his hands in their metal restraints. He looked over at the man reading over the parchment, and sighed expectantly.

 

“The charges are as follows;” the announcer began loudly, glancing over at Kyungsoo for no more than a second. “Seven counts of theft.”

 

Kyungsoo scoffed. It was hardly theft. If he was hungry, he was hungry, and a human being needed food, didn’t it? Did they expect him to just stand around and wait to die? Looking down, he realized the irony of such a thought. Oh.

 

“Ten counts of assault.”

 

At this, his brows furrowed. There should have only been nine. Although, maybe hitting that man across the back of his head with a shovel may have counted as a form of assault.

 

“Four counts of murder.”

 

At this, the crowd immediately became quiet. Even the announcer’s eyes narrowed as he attempted to re-read the parchment, fearing that he had not done so properly the first time. Kyungsoo was quite used to this reaction, as many automatically judged his defense skills upon taking in his appearance. He was short - more so than most of the other young men of his age - and the lack of food that he received caused his form to be rather scrawny. Not only that, but the young male had inherited the majority of his facial features from his mother, leaving him with milky skin - though currently stained with dirt and grime from the inability to bathe - large, coffee-colored eyes framed with thick, dark lashes, full lips with a natural rose-tint, and a head of soft, raven locks. Many could believe that such a stunning boy could be a thief, but a murderer?

 

Kyungsoo bit down on his lip, stifling a chuckle as the man cleared his throat to continue. Just wait. It gets better.

 

“Last but not least, Do Kyungsoo, you are charged with--” his voice cracked and cut off immediately and he looked up from the decree with large eyes, looking from the criminal to the executioner who stood at the lever obliviously blinking back at him. It was silent for a moment, and everyone watched, waiting for whatever it was that had been so terrible. Worse than murder? Was it possible? The whole crowd seemed to hold their breath, and finally, Kyungsoo took this opportunity to speak.

 

With a voice as smooth and delicate as an angel’s, he urged, “Go on. Say it.” The amusement was evident in his tone, and his eyes, and he took one step towards the man, who scrambled backwards in fear.

 

Reminded that everyone was watching his pathetic display, the announcer quickly unrolled the parchment once more, swallowing. A layer of sweat had neatly adorned his forehead. “You have been charged with… suspicion of…” he glanced at the executioner, then back at the boy. “Suspicion of witchcraft.”

 

That was it.

 

That was the one.

 

Women gasped, clinging to their husbands who stared ahead with open mouths. People began backing away, and those that had initially looked eager now looked terrified. Reveling in the reactions, Kyungsoo cracked his knuckles, moving over to stand on the platform that would soon give way. The rope was slipped over his head, and tightened around his neck. The man was nervous, so his actions were hasty. Kyungsoo swallowed, his airway already constricting with the new pressure against his Adam’s apple.

 

“May you burn in Hell,” a voice hissed against his ear, and a bitter smile settled onto the young man’s face as the executioner made his way back to the lever.

 

Kyungsoo closed his eyes.

 

Three.

 

“In the name of His Lord, The King.”

 

Two.

 

“May God have no mercy on your soul.”

 

The lever was pulled.

 

One.

 

And then somebody screamed.