The Kind and Innocent, Kim Jongdae

Breaking The Wall

|01| The Kind and Innocent, Kim Jongdae

Soojung was looking outside her window which facing the school gate. She already glued her face there for almost thirty minutes, waiting for the familiar silhouette come into the frame. She was so lucky that her own seat was near the window so she didn't need to bother anyone by sticking her entire face there just for looking at her ultimate crush's arrival. Her classmates started to coming and filling the empty seats. Some of them were saying 'Hi' or 'Good morning' to Soojung but she just replied them with her hand gesture because her face was still busy scanning the gate. Her friends shook their head because it was just a plain sight for them, not only in the first day of new semester but almost everyday since Soojung fell in love with this guy. Since then, sticking her face into the window glass became her new morning routine at school. The other students just needed to wait until the boy came and voila, Soojung's face would be back to its place. And that was what happened next.

Soojung's face beamed in happiness as she finally saw a tall and handsome figure walking towards the school building. Soojung pulled her face from the window and stormed out of her classroom in a flash. She already made a plan inside her head. Well, she always did. Soojung went straight to the ladies restroom and pretend to fix her already perfect long-black wavy hair. She practiced her brightest smile on the mirror and washed her hands as if she just did some business in the booth. She looked at her watch and grinned when she thought that it was the perfect time and then she headed out of the restroom. Oh and she didn't forget to take out her handkerchief and pretended to wiping her wet hands.

"He better greet me. And if he didn't, I will just pretend that I'm accidentally see him. Okay Jung Soojung, you can do this." Soojung mumbled as she keep her eye on her wet hands. And when she lifted her head up...

"Hey Soojung. Good morning."

Soojung was trying hard to not grin and gave him a polite smile instead. Her plan worked! Well, it always worked anyway.

"Good morning, Jongdae oppa. Long time no see."

His name is Kim Jongdae. Second year, class 2-2. Tall and handsome with a beautiful voice. Kind, sweet, and friendly. Quite popular among the girls and known as the perfect candidate for future husband. The head of Social Department in Student Council.

Soojung attented the same middle school with him but he's one year older so when Soojung was in her third year of middle school, Jongdae already in his first year of high school. But it was not particularly a problem for a girl like Soojung. If she already liked someone, she will keep her eye on him and never give up. That was why Soojung studied hard to get into the same high school with him and she finally made it. Not only that she made it to study at the same high school with him, Kim Jongdae also became her group's mentor when she was still in the school orientation period. Jongdae already knew her since they were in the middle school so it was much easier for Soojung to get close to him.

She always made a perfect plan in her head but when she actually met up with Jongdae in personal, her mind went blank. It felt like her brain suddenly washed out and her memory was gone. Usually she always ended up talking rubbish and excuse herself out of embarassment but this time she wouldn't waste her chance.

Soojung eyes were burning with dignity and she was too occupied with her own imagination till she didn't realize that her beloved Kim Jongdae was staring at her with an amused face. Soojung was startled when suddenly a palm was shoved into her face. And that was Jongdae oppa's milky white hand's palm. Soojung looked at him in confusion as she raised her brows.

"Where's my souvenir? You said that you went to your grandmother's house in Busan last holiday." He grinned.

She felt like her jaw dropped onto the floor. Just like what usually happened, her mind went blank and her memory was suddenly gone. She forgot about the cute conversation which had been drafted inside her mind. She could only blink her eyes at Jongdae who chewed on his lips, holding back a smile.

But Soojung was not that stupid. Well, okay she indeed that stupid but she quickly regained her consciousness and patted Jongdae's palm as she laughing.

"I will give it to you later oppa." She promised him as her brain started to scan if she had some souvenir left at home to give him.

The conversation kept going on smoothly till they arrived at Jongdae's classroom. He bid goodbye to Soojung, saying that he would meet her at the Social Department meeting. Soojung nodded and waved back to him, then she walked to her own classroom.

It was hard to keep her lips from smiling as she felt like her body flew away to seventh heaven. She obviously just needed Jongdae's presence to make her happy. That short conversation already made Soojung excited to start her first day of school. Of course, there's no way you will feel lazy to come to school if you have crush in there, right?

"That was a good acting, Ms. Jung." Someone interrupted her happy moment.

Soojung stopped and turned around to see who was that and her lips curved into a big smile.

"Jieun! I missed you so much!" Soojung squealed as she hugged her bestfriend tightly.

"Liar. I know you missed Kim Jongdae more." Jieun flicked her forehead, making Soojung stucked his tounge out.

"Of course, I am. Well, what do you mean about 'a good acting', Ms. Lee?" She linked her arms with Jieun's as they walking together to their class.

"I had been following you since you were going out of the restroom, girl. And I know it's not like you REALLY need to use the restroom." Jieun rolled her eyes.

Soojung just laughed because she just caught by Jieun.

"You know me so well, Jieun-ah. And thank you for not ruining my precious moment with him." She leaned her head on Jieun's shoulder as the latter just pretended to shrug her off.

"I was going to. But since today is the first day of the new semester, I will let you fly away in seventh heaven much longer." Jieun laughed.

Soojung pouted but she kept silent because there was no point to argue with Jieun. She was so stubborn, just like her, but Jieun was more stubborn. Jieun already told her to move on from Kim Jongdae since she told her that she already confessed to him on the last holiday.

Yeah, that was true. Soojung already confessed her love to Kim Jongdae but it still remained as one-sided love. It was not like Jongdae rejected her (oh well, he did) but she believed that he need some time. Soojung always did some research on her crush and she found out that Jongdae has a traumatic past. He was betrayed by his ex-girlfriend who two-timed him. Since then, Jongdae never seemed to pay attention to any girls at school. He said that he wasn't ready to fall in love again. He didn't ask Soojung to wait but he also didn't ask Soojung to leave. He said that they couldn't be together at this time but he did not know about the future. He might like her or she might move on and find someone else.

She was too naive and innocent so that she willing to wait for Jongdae. She thought that she might be able to cure his traumatic past and they could live happily ever after. Soojung was sure that if she never gave up, she would be able to make Jongdae fall in love with her eventually. That was why even though he was indirectly rejected her, she still love him and decided to keep holding on to him.

Jieun could only shake her head seeing her bestfriend's naive tactics. She could only wish that Soojung's plan will works someday even though she had a bad feeling about this. When she was following them, Jieun observed Jongdae's facial expression and she thought nothing's wrong with him. That was why she hoped that someday, Jongdae will eventually open up for her bestfriend and her bestfriend's love life will run smoothly.