Chapter 9: the overnight.

Oh Henry!

 

 

Jin and Chanyeol were staring at me. 

“Can I help you, gentleman?”  I said, awkwardly.

Jin cleared his throat.  “It appears the regular staff members that normally accompany Chanyeol to filming are unavailable.  You and I will be taking their place this evening.”

I was groaning on the inside, knowing we were in for a long night.  However, I attempted to appear positive about the situation.

“Alright.  When do we leave?”

“Immediately.”

“Oh... Okay!  I’m going to grab my purse from my office and I’ll meet you guys at the car.”

Jin supplied a nod in agreement.

“What about me?”  Kat asked, looking a bit putout.

“Tao and Sehun have requested a tutoring session this evening.”  Jin told her.

“Oh!  I am okay with that.”  She looked decidedly more upbeat.

 


 

Six hours later found Jin and I standing in a sea of “staff”.  We’d been watching Chanyeol and his “roommates” doing various roommate-ish things for the past four hours.  The director would randomly call “cut” in order to “encourage” the cast on how they should be interacting.  Also, there was a lot of make-up and hair. 

This is “reality TV” after all.

Jin had been loosely translating conversations.  After the first three hours I let him off the hook on account of nothing being discussed was all that interesting and I pretty much understood what was going on. 

“I’m betting they do a -load of editing to make this show watchable…” I grumbled under my breath.

Beside me, I saw Jin grin, amusedly.  I was surprised he’d heard me.

Seeing as I had his attention I began to question him, quietly, so as not to disturb the filming.  “So, who are all these other celebrities?  My knowledge of Korean things is a little bit lacking.”

He began in a whisper.  “The long-haired gentleman who rooms with Chanyeol is Shin Sunwoo.  He is a former singer, now he mainly acts. He just finished up the musical ‘The Three Musketeers’”. 

I studied the oldest male amongst the group.  They had been referring to him as “Mama Shin” on account of his cooking abilities.  He seemed like a pretty genuine guy.  At least, he seemed that way to me in the short time that I had been observing him.  He was especially kind to Chanyeol.  That made him a really good guy in my book.

“The youngest girl, there,” he pointed to the shortest girl sitting on the couch.  She appeared rather shy and timid amongst the group of boisterous personalities.  “Her name is Song Gayeon.  She is training to be an MMA fighter.” 

I balked.  “Her?”  In my surprise, I spoke a bit louder than I should have, earning a few dirty looks and shushes from the staff around us. 

The grin returned.  “She’s pretty feisty when need be.”  He moved on to the girl sitting next to her.  “To her right is NaNa.  She is a member of the Idol groups ‘After School’ and ‘Orange Caramel’.” 

Who comes up with these names?  Seriously.  Then again, I do enjoy the Arctic Monkeys; their name isn’t exactly normal either…

He moved on to the most charismatic of the group, a short, stocky guy who looked to be in his late twenties.  “That is Jo Seho.  He is a comedian.”

“Who is the one next to him?”  The super handsome one…

“That is Lee Dongwook.  He is an actor.”

Just as I was about to ask more about the handsome one, the director called “cut”, giving the actors a twenty-minute intermission before filming was to resume.

Chanyeol came bounding over to us, grinning while swinging his long arms at his sides, a can of soda in each hand. 

I wonder if anyone has ever made him angry…  Like seriously pissed…

“Hi Allie!  Annyeonghaseyo hyung!”  He bowed towards the pair of us before straightening and handing each of us a beverage.

“Thank you Chanyeol, that’s very kind of you!”  I said sincerely.  I was seriously parched.

He nodded in response and opened his mouth as if to begin speaking but stopped himself.  He then looked towards Jin addressing him instead.

“Chanyeol wants to know if you’re having fun.” Jin translated.

“Should I be honest with him or sugar-coat it?”  I said, still smiling. 

“Sugar.”

“I’m having a great time!  It’s so interesting to see you and your roommates!  They seem like lovely people.  Especially that Dongwook.  Whew… what a hottie!”  I smiled sweetly and waited for Jin to respond. 

“Hottie?”  Chanyeol looked confusedly towards Jin, still smiling.

Jin eyed me skeptically.  “I may be your translator but for your sake, I will err on the side of discretion.”  He told me quietly before relaying part of my message to Chanyeol.

Chanyeol nodded, replying enthusiastically as Jin translated his words.

“These people have become like a second family.  I love my members, but sometimes it’s nice to be part of a family like this since we don’t often get to meet our own.”

“What does he mean?  They don’t let them see their own families?”  I asked, a frown forming on my face. 

Jin sighed.  “For these young men it is the nature of their job.  Chanyeol misses his family but he knows that he is making them proud.  And he is happy to have you and Kat as part of the Exo family”

I forced a smile to my face.  “Please tell him that Kat and I are delighted to be here and we’re here whenever he or any of his Exo brothers need us.” 

And I meant that.

The short time that I’d spent around the idols of SM, I had learned that for those kids the job was life and life was the job.  Because of that, these boys- these young men - barely had time to experience life. 

It was then and there, looking at the over-worked, underfed, sleepy yet still smiling Chanyeol that I made a vow.

In the six months that Kat and I are here we will give these boys some sense of normalcy!  I don’t know how just yet, but by golly we’re going to do it!  I just need to make sure I remember to tell Kat about it…

 


 

Four hours later I was sitting on the ground, trying desperately to keep myself awake.  Most of the “roommates” had gone to sleep.  Only Chanyeol, Seho and Dongwook were awake.  They had been conversing about something very seriously.  Jin had long since ceased his translations, so I was in the dark as to what was going on.  Also, we were in the dark. 

Then, the front door opened.

Finally!  This better get interesting, I’m dying!

Chanyeol and Seho ran to greet the newcomer at the door, followed by Dongwook who was toting a small camera.  Seho and Chanyeol, using a large flower as a “mic”, began to interrogate the girl who had just entered, all while Dongwook filmed and randomly interjected things.

“Jin!”  I hissed.  “Who’s that?”  A petite girl had entered wearing an oversize t-shirt with leggings and some crazy looking sneakers.  It was an odd outfit, but she looked really… cool.  The next comment flew from my mouth before I could stop it.  “Those lips can’t be real!”

Jin couldn’t stop the chuckle that escaped his lips.  “That is Park Bom.  She is part of a group called 2NE1.  They are from the YG label.  One of the major three here in Korea.”

“SM being one of those three, I’d assume?”

“A correct assumption.  SM, YG and JYP are considered the major three.  NaNa is from a smaller label.  What sets the three apart from the others is that seemingly every act they produce is a success.”

“If that’s the case, then I don’t get why Henry is so worried...” I mumbled, absently to myself.

“If I may, I would imagine Henry’s nervousness stems from that fact.”

“Go on.”  I urged.

“Because the vast majority of SM’s artists have indeed remained successful, he does not want to be among the minority.”

“I see.”  I contemplated that notion as the director called “cut” for the final time that evening.  The entire cast had gone to sleep, meaning the staff was free to do so as well.

“I know it’s not ideal, but the front seats recline and I keep some blankets in the trunk.” 

“No worries, Jin.”  I said with a sleepy smile.  “I can sleep anywhere.”

We got settled into the car; Jin reclined in the driver’s seat while I opted to curl up on the back seat. 

“Miss Allie?” 

“Jin.  Just call me Allie.”

“Alright, then.  Allie.  What is your relationship with Henry?” 

The question frightened me. 

When I didn’t respond he clarified.  “Pardon the intrusion.  Henry has become like a younger brother to me.  I do not have siblings.  He is someone whom I cherish.  It is apparent he feels the same for you.”

“You are not intruding!”  I didn’t want him to think I was unwilling to be forthcoming; the line of questioning had just caught me off guard.  “Jin, you are welcome to ask me anything.  We’re friends.”  I knew he couldn’t see me in the darkness, but I smiled at him anyway. 

“I have known Henry since my sophomore year of high school.  He was the only freshman smart enough to be taking chemistry.  We ended up being lab partners, which was lucky for me, I would have failed if it weren’t for him.”   I smiled thinking of a dorky, younger Henry.  “After that, he started sitting with Kat and I at lunch.  Then we started dragging him with us when we’d go shopping or to movies.  Looking back on it, he put up with an awful lot!  When we’d go shopping we’d make him model clothes for us.  He would always pout but then as soon as he’d emerge from the dressing room he’d ham it up and do a runway show for us. 

“He was always super into music.  He’s always been crazy talented.  Kat and I went to everything, all his concerts.  We graduated the year before him and went off to college.  During his senior year he’d come visit us on weekends, crash on our dorm floor.  This one time, our RA showed up super early in the morning to ask us some dumb question, I don’t even remember what.  But we had to hide Henry in the closet because it was a girl’s only floor!  That was pretty hilarious.”  I chuckled at the memory. 

“Then he told us about the SM audition.  I had no idea what it meant, I just new it was a big time Korean record company, but I told him to go for it.  I knew somebody had to realize how much talent and enthusiasm the guy has.  His energy is just… contagious.”

“It sounds like you were very important to one another.” Jin commented.

“Yeah…” I said, thoughtfully.  “I guess we were.  I mean, he still is.  I’ve never been one to have a lot of close friends.  I mean, I have friends, but of people I intend to know for a lifetime outside of my family, I think it’s just him and Kat.  Even though I was pretty crappy at keeping in touch these last…” I counted on my fingers.  “Whoa, seven years…  even after all this time, I still consider him my really good friend.”

“Do you ever see him as more?” 

“More?   Wow.  More…” I trailed off, totally unsure of how to respond.  I was unsure of what to think about the question, unsure of how my heart felt.

“I apologize.  I shouldn’t have made any assumptions.”

“No, Jin!  Don’t apologize.  It’s just that Henry was like my little brother for such a long time.  I mean, he’s not little anymore and the few times I’ve seen him since I got here have been the only quality time I’ve spent with him in years.  I don’t know what I think about the possibility of… more.  There are just a lot of new things that I’m experiencing right now and messing with that friendship… man…” I was lost in thought.  My brain hurt.  My heart felt confused.

“Confusion is natural.  Remaining as Henry’s friend for the time being would be beneficial for the pair of you.”

“Jin, I don’t mean to sound rude, but you sound like you’re reading from an informational pamphlet.  Drop the formalities, please.  Tell me what you think.  You are his ‘hyung’.  And you’re my friend.”

Jin contemplated a bit before continuing.  “Henry values your friendship, and you his.  Things are complicated and busy in both of your lives at the present.  Don’t complicate that by rushing into anything.  Strengthening your friendship is important.  If there is more, then more will come.”

His advice was concise, slightly less stiff, (for him,) and, above all, heartfelt. 

“Thank you Jin.  Please don’t tell Henry about this conversation.” 

“You are always free to speak with me, Allie.  No judgment or loose lips here.”

I smiled in the dark.

“Now, get some sleep, Miss Allie.”

I chuckled, rolling over to face the seat behind me, pulling the blanket up.  “Night, Sir Jin.”