Chapter 3: The real life.

Oh Henry!

 

 

At 3am, there was a pounding at my door. 

I was feeling the jet lag.  My brain was confused at my insistence to sleep during what it deemed the afternoon.  In my delirium, I couldn’t tell if the sounds were real or something I’d dreamt.  And yet, it persisted. 

What now? 

I stumbled from my bed in shorts and baggy sweatshirt; only half aware that I’d chosen to wear a sports bra underneath.  Thank goodness I didn’t have to go through the trouble of tugging one on before answering the door.  I didn’t even bother to through the peephole before throwing the door open. 

I eyed the culprit.  It was Baekhyun.  Baekhyun?  He was sobbing.  I was so taken aback.  I just stared at him, willing myself awake to deal with the situation.  The kid was a mess.  He was looking at his shoes, eyes red and swollen, nose running. 

“Baekhyun, right?”  He wouldn’t look at me.  He stood still as another sob wracked his body. 

“Are you okay?”  I asked hesitantly, already knowing the answer.  I was unsure how much English he understood.  He shook his head. 

Ah geez, kid! 

I did the only thing I knew to do.  I reached out, standing on tiptoe, and wrapped my arms around him.  I knew that Koreans were hesitant when it came to touching and showing affection.  I hoped he’d understand.

I’m sorry for touching you, but you really need a hug right now. 

At first the only response I received an increase in his sobs.  But then, he was clinging to me for dear life.  He probably had four inches on me, so I’m sure our posture was awkward for him.  But I wasn’t about to let go.  Not if he wasn’t.

We stood there for a while until he started to calm down.  I broke away from the embrace and reached for his hand.  I led him inside the apartment and sat him on the couch before going to work making tea.  By the time I’d returned with two steaming mugs, he’d gone silent.  Tears gone.

“I don’t know how much English you understand, but if you want to talk, I will listen.  It can even be in Korean.  I will listen.”  I said, pointing to my ears with a small smile.  I didn’t want to make him feel dumb with my signing, I just really wanted him to know I would listen.

He looked down at the untouched mug grasped between his hands before beginning in broken English.  “I have girlfriend.  She is… SM idol.  We…  pictures together… now on internet…  bad.  Very bad.  Fans angry.  I…” He stopped.  Whether because of the new set of tears or a loss for words, I wasn’t sure.  I had gotten the gist.  I knew dating for these guys was risky; let alone dating a fellow celebrity. 

I took a hold of his hand and squeezed, I hoped in a reassuring way.  “If they are truly your fans, they will love you, no matter what.” 

Please understand me, kid!  I was silently pleading.

He nodded and gave me an impish smile.  We sat quietly for a while before be broke the silence.  “Noona?”  He looked at me with big eyes.  “I sleep here?”  I paused for a moment, not quite sure what he was asking, until he pointed to the couch. 

“Sure, Baekhyun.”  I said, with a nod.  “You can sleep here.”  I got up and went to one of the un-used bedrooms to find a spare pillow and a blanket.  I felt a little bad making him sleep on the couch.  It was your idea… right?

When I returned, he was already out.  I carefully tucked the pillow beneath his head and the blanket around his torso.  I stood back and looked at him, shaking my head. 

Tutor, huh?  These guys need a den mother…

 


 

When I awoke later that morning, he had already gone.  The blanket folded; pillow neatly on top.  That’s very kind of him. 

I found Jin in the lobby, again, reading a newspaper; legs crossed.  “Shall we be on our way Miss Allie?”  He said, in greeting.

“Sounds good, Jin.”  I paused, giving him a quizzical look.  “I have more questions.”

“Very well, Miss Allie.”  He opened the door a gestured for me to climb into the backseat of the black car.  (It was becoming very familiar.)  And we were off.

“Baekhyun came over last night.”  I eyed him in the mirror.

He sighed.  “I fail to see the question, Miss Allie.”  I shot him a look.  He continued.  “I wondered who he would go to.  Was he able to explain his situation?”

“Yeah.  His English isn’t great, but I got the idea.  He’s dating someone at the company and their photos are on the internet.  The fans are out for blood, am I right?”

Jin nodded, frowning.  “It indeed seems photos of Baekhyun and Taeyeon have been leaked.  The public is displeased.” 

“Well that .  He’s a kid!  Who cares if he dates?  As long as he continues to sing and do his job, what does it matter?”  I was getting angry and I barely knew the kid.  Seeing him so distraught early that morning had gotten to me.

“Unfortunately, the internet seems to care.  The ‘netizens’, as Koreans have dubbed them, can make or break careers.  A scandal can bring a career in its entirety to a halt.  These young men have already dealt with one.  This will be another for which Baekhyun is feeling responsible.”

I didn’t respond.  My head was spinning trying to process it all. 

“Miss Allie?”  I looked up and caught Jin’s eyes again in the mirror.  “Perhaps it would be wise to phone Miss Kat.”

“I think you’re right.” I agreed.

 


 

When we arrived at SM Entertainment for the second day, I no longer felt nervous.  I was looking forward to getting started.  Today I was going to be shown what would serve as classrooms and an office for Kat and myself.   This first week was for planning before Kat arrived and we would get started.  

Whatever that means... 

Jin lead to me set of adjoining rooms separated by an office with two desks, laptops atop each.  Each classroom had a long table with eight rolling chairs, much like a conference room.  White boards covered each wall and a projector aimed towards the back.  Not bad. 

We can work with this.

I looked to Jin.  “This looks great.  Kat will be really excited.”

“Ah, yes.  You have a meeting in ten minutes.  You should wait in your office.” 

“I have a meeting already?”

“Yes, Miss Allie.” 

I was slightly confused, but I decided to just roll with.  “Sounds good.  Is there anywhere to get coffee in this joint?  I have not had enough this morning.”

Jin chuckled.  “What would you like?”

“I can totally get it if you just show me.  I know you’re my ‘liaison’ and all, but I refuse to treat you like a butler, Jin.  That’d just be rude.  We’re going to be great friends, you know.”  I winked at him. 

“Follow me.” was all he said.  I could’ve sworn I saw him roll his eyes.

 


 

Jin showed me to the kitchen, (more importantly, the coffee), and promptly disappeared; citing his being needed in a meeting about damage control.  I didn’t press him for details.  He probably wouldn’t have given any.

I made my way back to my office.  Along the way I noticed several practice rooms.  One stood out.  It had a backdrop of clouds.  It was empty for the moment.

Why do I know that room?

I tore my eyes away and trudged off.  When I returned to my office, a familiar voice was calling my name.

“Al?  Are you there?  Al?  Allie?”

It took a moment for me to register that the voice was coming from one of the two laptop computers.  I sat in the rolly desk chair and faced the computer.  When another face stared back, I about fell off my chair. 

“Hey Al!  It’s so good to see you!”  Kat’s face was staring at me through the screen.  A skype call had apparently been accepted in my absence.  It was completely unexpected.

“Oh my word Kat!  You almost gave me a heart attack!  Are you my ‘meeting’?”

“Yeah, I guess.  Don’t sound so disappointed.”  She said with a smile.

“I… that’s not what I meant!  I just wasn’t… I guess I have no idea what I was expecting…” I bumbled.

“It’s cool, Al.  By the way, who is Jin and why is he so handsome?  I was so not expecting the accent either… it’s super attractive!” 

I sighed.  “I have so much to tell you, Kitty-Kat.”

“Well start dishing!”

 


 

About an hour or so later I’d hung up my call with Kat.  I was feeling slightly guilty, like I’d been gossiping.  I reminded myself that this would soon be Kat’s working environment as well.  She needed to know what was up.

There was a knock at my door.  “Come in!”  I called.

Jin had returned.  Buddy Holly glasses woman was with him.  She a stack of papers onto the desk in front of me while speaking in rapid-fire Korean.  I looked to Jin with a pained expression.  He began translating.

“Here is the schedule for both K and M.  They detail the next two months.  They will be updated frequently, as needed.  Chanyeol, Baekhyun, D.O and Luhan all have separate schedules due to various filmings.  I’ve included those as well.  I suggest that you and your colleauge each take a group, K or M, to focus on.  At least in the beginning.  I will expect weekly progress reports and monthly reviews.  Ask Jin if you’ve any further questions.”  And then she was gone. 

I looked at Jin.  “Um, not to be rude, but who is that lady?”

He gave me a reassuring smile.  “Her name is Eunbi.  She’s all bark and no bite.  I will handle her.”

I nodded and began thumbing through the papers she’d left.  For starters, there were two copies.  One for me, one for Kat.  Also, they were in English.  Whew.  Eunbi did not tell lies.  It was a highly detailed schedule.  Dance practice, radio appearances, hair appointments, dermatologist appointments, you name it.  I was overwhelmed and it wasn’t even my schedule. 

I looked to Jin for explanation.  “This is a slow time.”

“When am I expected to fit in tutoring?  These guys have no time!”

“Some of the activities are only for one or two members.  There will probably be few times when you are able to have the group.”

“Okay… So, should I be writing individual tutoring sessions into the schedule?”

  Jin didn’t respond immediately.  “I’m afraid it won’t work that way, exactly.” 

“Jin, I feel like I’m missing something important.”  I was getting an uneasy feeling.

“I’m afraid Exo is expected to come to you… on their own terms.”  Jin’s eyes didn’t meet mine.

I groaned.  “Then why is SM paying for me and Kat to be here? I don’t get it!”  I sighed.  “Sorry, I know none of this is your doing, Jin.  I’m just trying to understand.  Why did Henry insist Kat and I fly halfway around the world for a job that doesn’t seem to be on anyone’s priority list?  He told us we’d be perfect fit.  For what?!”

“Did you and Miss Kat have a nice chat?”  Jin inquired, avoiding my questions.

I sighed.  “Yeah.  It was really nice to talk to her.  We’ve been friends for a long time; been through a lot together.  This is going to be a new challenge…” 

That’s for sure…

 


 

My day at the office was over by noon.  I would not have students to tutor until the following week when Kat arrived.  Based on Jin’s explanation, I was unsure that anyone would show up.  That being said, I was clueless at what sort of preparing was needed. 

I left a voicemail with Henry, calmly asking him to get his to my place, promising to cook him a nice dinner in exchange for spilling his guts.  I received a short text in response.  It read “K”.

Yeah, boy.  You know you’re in trouble.

As the morning progressed, I succumbed to jet lag.  I’d barely made it inside the apartment before collapsing on the couch, too lazy to drag my to my bedroom.  Plus, the pillow and blanket were still where Baekhyun had left them.   I set my phone on the coffee table and snuggled deeper into the couch.

Then, there was the pounding.  I didn’t remember falling asleep.  I reached for my phone.  It was 7:50.  I had been out a long time, but Henry wasn’t due until 9:00; he was practicing for his comeback, (whatever that meant.)

I rubbed my eyes and drug myself toward the front door.  The knocking increased in tempo.  Again, without checking the peephole, I swung the door open.  “Hen, I’m so tired!  If you were gonna come early I really wished you had...” 

It was not Henry. 

“Called.”  I finished, lamely.           

A very sad Tao and a very anxious looking Sehun were at my door.  Silent tears streamed from each of Tao’s eyes as he stood, hands limp at his sides.  Sehun stood slightly behind him, wringing his hands, looking out of place. 

“Sehun?  Why is Tao crying?” I asked gently, while trying to assess the situation.  He just shook his head in response. 

“Noona.”  Tao croaked.  “I not steal Kris shoes.”  A sob tore through him. 

I grabbed Tao by the hand and motioned Sehun to follow.  They both sat on the couch while I perched on the coffee table, facing them.

“Tao, who said you stole Kris’s shoes?”  I was leery of even saying the guy’s name; knowing it was a sensitive topic.

“Instagram… fans think I take shoes.  Kris have same shoes.  I not steal!”  He sobbed. 

“Tao, I’m so sorry.  That’s really mean for people to accuse you of stealing.”  I grabbed his hand again.  Sehun sat awkwardly beside Tao, but I appreciated his presence, nonetheless.  I didn’t want there to be two nights in a row of me alone in an apartment with various Exo members. 

Think of the reputation I’d have… I’ve barely even started this job!  But Tao, why are you crying about shoes?

Before I was able to ask any insensitive questions, Tao spoke.  “Kris was my friend!  Why did he leave?”

I felt my heart drop.