First Love

The Sky is Our Limit
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“The future for me is already a thing of the past -
You were my first love and you will be my last” 

― Bob Dylan

-

Who knew that a small wonder land with all the wonders that a child could wish to see was inside one little community. As a child, I was empty minded. I was bounded with less contracted rules because it was alright to bend them. Making mistakes was bad but it was always forgiven. That was the fun of it. A lot of strange things happened everyday but it was all to the moment. “Soyoung-ah, watch over your younger siblings alright?” umma asked while bending down to meet my eyes. “Grandma is going to be here to take care of you, Jongin and Minah.”  I just nodded but I did not really know what was happening.

“Umma! Don’t go!” Jongin cried while grandma held on to him.

“Oppa, is mom not coming back?” Minah asked with a clueless look of what was going on.

It was loud that day, Jongin cried so much while Minah cried along because she was confused and scared. I just stood there watching umma leave the house. I remember a tear roll down from my eyes but I remember umma telling me not to cry. “Be strong, you have to take care of your brother and sister. You must not cry.” After that day, I had not seen her for a long time. But I knew one day, she was going to take us with her because she promised.

---

“Noona! Fly the kite!” Jongin yelled out loud from across a vast field while holding on to the kite spool.

“Not yet! We need a strong wind.” I yelled out back, I held onto our plastic and bamboo made kite.

We sat down the grass distance away from each other while Minah played with her doll at the side. “Oh! There’s wind!” I yelled out.

“Yes! Noona! Push it strong!” he yelled out.

Minah was excited to see the kite fly. As the wind blew strongly, we let the kite go. Jongin pulled the string while making a run for it. Our tiny kite flew towards the blue sky while its tail flew towards the wind’s direction. “It’s flying!” Minah excitedly watched.

“Jongin-ah, keep it up!” I ran towards my brother. But before I knew it the kite had crashed on top of my head. “Ah!” I groaned in pain to see the kite behind me. “Aish!” I got frustrated easily. We did not know how to fly it. The basic rule was to let it go as soon as soon as the wind blows but it never stays up for too long. I wondered what we missed.

“Noona! Let’s let it fly again.”

“I’m tired. I’d rather go home.” I said touching my head. I felt a little lump on it. “Let’s go home. Grandma will be looking for us.” He said.

Minah started to whine, “I don’t want to go home!” she exclaimed.

“Me too, I’m not going home until I get this to fly.” He added

These two had a lot of energy. We were all 3 years apart from each other. I was turning 11 soon, while Jongin was still 6 and Minah still 5. Our mother had left for the United States to earn money while we were left in the care of our grandmother. I was getting lazy and I wanted to do things on my own, I think that was because I felt like I shouldn’t be playing games anymore. “I’m leaving then. I’ll come get you guys when you’re done.”

“Noona! Don’t leave! We need to fly this together!”

Minah started to cry, “Unni! Don’t leave!” I felt my heart ache for a bit because I felt wanted by my siblings but then I didn’t want to fly the stupid kite anymore.

“I’ll be back!” I yelled out to the two forwarding towards the house.

As soon as I got home, grandma was still making dinner. “Were’s Jongin and Minah?” she asked.

“Still flying the kite.” I said taking a sip of water until I felt a sharp pain on my .

Grandma had smacked me with her slippers, “Yah! You left your younger siblings alone?!”

“Alright! I’ll go back!” I said with a high hint of irritation, “Aish!”

Grandma sent me out of the house.  I ran to my siblings and then there I found something flying in the sky. It was the kite that my brother and I made. It flew so beautifully, while its tail waddled in the air. I had to cover my eyes for a second because the sun was beaming towards my eyes. “He finally made it fly.” I was happy and excited so I ran towards the two quickly. I kept looking at the kite flying. Until I felt a sharp pain on my head, I fell back to see a tall human boulder standing right in front of me.

“Aish! What is this?” I looked up to see someone standing in front of me.  

“Oh, are you hurt?” then there a hand was lent out for me. I grabbed it as I pulled myself up with the help of the person in front of me.

There stood a tall boy who seemed to be older than me. He looked like he was either 15 or 16. “Noona! Look the kite flew!” Jongin called out. “He made it fly.” He said.

The boy in front of me was tan slender. He had a dark brown hair and he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter