Chapter 3

(Because It's) Worth It

            It takes time for them to get used to the modern city of Chicago, so different from the small city they had grown up in. The buildings are considerably more modern, the houses are different, and the motorcycles have mostly been replaced by cars.

            (“It’s okay,” Luhan laughs when Sehun complains. “We still have the buses. Not that they’re as hot as my motorcycle.” Sehun rolls his eyes, but doesn’t bother disagreeing.)

            With the language barrier, it’s difficult for them to fit in. They’re lucky when Junmyeon and Yifan become their friends and help them adapt to the new world.

            (Except Junmyeon and Yifan are dating, and Junmyeon always not-so-subtly suggest that Luhan should date Sehun. Luhan rolls his eyes, but refrains himself from punching Junmyeon, because Yifan is watching and Yifan is scary.)

            At first, Sehun lives on campus and Luhan shares a two-bedroom apartment with Jongin. Luhan’s salary is more than enough to provide them both with the necessities in life, but it isn’t enough to hire a maid to clean up after Jongin’s mess. Besides, Jongin doesn’t even live in the apartment much, so it isn’t much of a surprise when Jongin leaves to live with his girlfriend. Hopefully, she will be able to tolerate Jongin’s mess, or even clean it up.

            (“You’re such a nag,” Jongin laughs as they drink coffee together one morning. Luhan rolls his eyes and punches Jongin lightly on the arm. They’re good friends.)

            Luhan’s second roommate is Yixing, a graduate student from China. He’s around Luhan’s age, clean and friendly. Luhan finds himself getting along with Yixing really well, especially because they share the same mother tongue and interests. But maybe they get along too well, because Yixing ends up developing not-so-platonic feelings for Luhan.

            (He later confesses, and Luhan, shocked, does the only thing he can do in his state of mind: he punches Yixing.)

            After the confession and a week of awkwardness, Luhan forces Yixing to sit down with him and talk. He apologizes, and after settling things down on good terms, Yixing decides to move out. They still keep in touch from time to time.

            Two unsuccessful roommates later, Luhan asks Sehun to share the apartment with him, to which Sehun eagerly agrees.

            “I’ve missed you so much,” Sehun proclaims as he dumps his stuff on the floor, tackles Luhan, and pulls him into an engulfing hug.

            “I see you every day.” Luhan rolls his eyes, trying to get out of Sehun’s hold.

            “You smell nice.” Sehun presses the tip of his nose to Luhan’s neck and breathes in. Luhan relaxes against Sehun, and Sehun ghosts his lips across the length of Luhan’s neck. “Don’t you think this is moving too fast?” he mumbles against Luhan’s ear.

            “What?” Luhan tries to pay attention to what Sehun’s saying, and preferably not the way Sehun’s belongings are strewn all over the floor. Or how unbelievably close Sehun is. It’s been a long time since Sehun has been this close. Two years, actually…

            “Shouldn’t you ask me to be your boyfriend before you ask me to move in?”

            “What?” Luhan frees himself from Sehun’s arms and turns around to face him. “Sehun, you’re just going to be my roommate.” But he isn’t surprised. Whereas he was shocked and scandalized by Yixing’s confession, actually, he just hadn’t ever thought of anyone other than Sehun.

            “I thought…” Sehun breaks off and looks away, but he can’t mask the disappointment that Luhan picks up on. Despite his stoic face, Luhan’s known him long enough to read into every little detail of his posture.

            “Okay.” Luhan tries to fake reluctance, but he can’t hide the smile dancing on his lips. “You can be my boyfriend.”

            Sehun turns to him with a bright grin, and immediately suffocates Luhan with another hug.

            (A week later, Luhan asks him the question formally and even buys carrot cake for the event. Sehun merely rolls his eyes and asks, “What’s the point? I’m already your boyfriend.” Luhan punches him and scolds him for being rude. Sehun silences him with a kiss.)

 

Author Note: New Subaek fic here: Because Perfection Isn’t Ideal. Thank you for reading!