Goldilocks

Crystallized

The dreams stopped. Not once for the past few weeks have I dreamt about Taeyeon. Which was strange. I’ve been anticipating, wishing to meet her in my dreams but try as I might, nothing.

“Yoona stop getting crumbs on my bed.”

She ignored me and continued munching away my bag of chips, eyes transfixed on the television.

“Yah!”

“I’m giving you a free back massage; don’t make me change my mind.”

I bit my tongue, forcing myself to refrain from jeopardizing my complimentary massage session. My back has been hurting ever since the fall at the pub and if there’s someone who can solve it, it’s my best friend.

“Where does it hurt the most?”

“The small of my back. It could be bruised, it hurts like a .”

The room goes quiet when she lifts my shirt to inspect my back. I wait but there’s no response. I turn my head and Yoona’s looking at me with the weirdest expression I’ve seen. It’s a mix of surprise, happiness and bewilderment with a dash of fear.

“Jung Soo Yeon.” I hate it when she calls me that, she only uses that name when she needs to tell me something that’ll surely piss me off. “Yo – You’ve been branded.”

I stared at her for a second, and then burst out in laughter. This was hilarious. “Babe, I know you’ve been kind of crazy over this branding stuff the past few weeks but seriously, this jokes don’t work on me.”

A second later, I hear a clicking sound and a phone was shoved in my face. There was an image of my back on the screen.

“Mirror. Now.” I demanded desperately.

Yoona handed it to me and I immediately positioned it over my head. And there it was. On the small of my back. Looking like a sun, a ring was in the middle while the rays were little triangles surrounding it.

I buried my head into the pillows. How pathetic. I don’t even know how I got it.

It wasn’t easy, but I decided to ignore it. Eventually I’ll forget all about it. It was just a mark, no big deal. Except that it was a huge one but I really didn’t want to bother with it.

Pulling in at the pub earlier than usual today, I catch something familiar but I can’t make it out clearly due to the visor. I pop the helmet off and switch the ignition of my bike. Shrugging out of my leather jacket, I pushed the door open. Donghae was cleaning the glasses behind the bar, a cigarette clutched firmly between his lips.

Taeyeon. Her hunched back and golden hair that was tied in a French braid greeted me as she sat on one of the bar stools a little further away from Donghae. I figured that she was writing from the way her right hand moved. That’s strange; we’re not even open yet. Why was she here? Why was I suddenly feeling light headed?

Donghae looked up just as I strutted in and shrugged when I mouthed a question about our sudden guest. Taeyeon must’ve noticed his sudden movement and turned around slightly. It was exactly the same, the same way she’s done numerous times in my dreams.

“Hey Goldilocks.”

Taeyeon raised an eyebrow at the nickname but smiled nonetheless, flashing an adorable chin dimple. “Hey, Soul mate,” pushing her long sleeved flannel up, revealing the very symbol that I’ve been trying to forget, on her left wrist.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.”

She shrugged, “I’m not

“What makes you think that I have the same mark as you?” I question.

“My hand started hurting after I pushed you, so I thought it was broken or something but when I looked down ta-da!” She explained animatedly, like a five year old running to the kitchen, blabbering to their parents about their day.

“Sorry to disappoint. I don’t have such a mark.” I deadpanned, pushing up my sleeves, showing her my arms.

She rolled her eyes at me, looking at me like I was stupid.”Then kindly explain to me why you’ve been in my dreams recently.”

I pulled out the chair nearest to me, my brain was overloading. Nothing made sense but yet the pieces fit so perfectly.

Taeyeon leaned forward, wearing a smirk and propped her head on her hands. Her v neck shirt underneath her flannel shirt dipped a little and I was suddenly distracted from my worries. “So, do you want to take this slow or fast?”

“What?”

“Do you want to register our marriage or do you want me to slowly romance you?”

I flinched twice. The first when she said marriage and the second when she said romance. “No. No, no, no. You’re going to leave; we’re going to pretend like we never met.”

She raised an eyebrow and nodded her head mockingly. “We could. I can walk out right now, find someone else, get hitched and have a dozen kids, live by the countryside. Live a good life. But it’s not going to work.”

“That actually sounds like a good plan. Goldilocks, that’s the smartest thing you’ve said all day. Please, kindly make your way out, fulfill your destiny.”

“You’re hot when you’re agitated, has anyone told you that?”

“She usually murders her victims if they make her angry.” Donghae suddenly chimed in.

I narrowed my eyes at him. “You’ll be next if you don’t shut up. And you,” I pointed at Taeyeon, “It won’t work. Get out.”

She was still wearing that amused expression I so badly wanted to erase. “If you say so. But I’ll be waiting for you. All my lifelong if I have to.”

I incredulously stared at her. The kid just doesn’t want to give up. She sniggered, packed up her stuff and hopped off the high stool. I self consciously bit my lips, something I did when I was frustrated, and her gaze shifted to my lips.

“Don’t do that.” She grumbled. She held my gaze and leaned in slowly, kissing me gently. My mind protested but my body surrendered and responded. Abruptly, Taeyeon pulled away. “That was the teaser, go on a date with me; I’ll give you the real deal. “

I couldn’t make out any words, my brain was mush. She laughed, “Think about it, I’ll be back.”

I watched as she swaggered off and buried my head in my hands. I’ve kissed, slept and left countless others before. Why was a simple kiss leaving me flustered?

*