Final.

I Can't Help Falling in Love with You

Jongin is fidgeting for many reasons, he'd say. But all of us know it was because of what he intended to do before that night ended. The most nervous day of a man's life.

 

It had been a Saturday. He remembers that specific day he walks into the diner, white pants and yellow polo t-shirt all buttoned up. His hair was combed back, gelled slick while his face adorned the signature smirk that belonged to only Kim Jongin out on his day to kill some guys and girls. His outer image would have looked calm and collected to anyone, but only he knew how he was feeling within. 

His eyes dart around the decorated restaurant, waiting to land on a certain individual. His eyes light up the instant he sees the love of his current life in all his short limbed glory.

"Hi," he says, face lighting up in a big smile, as he leans against the counter. Addressed person turns to look, the heart shaped smile that makes Jongin's heart turn to goo, on his face. 

"Hey, Jongin," Kyungsoo turns around fully, to face him. "What would you like today?" 

You, Jongin wishes to say but he really didn't want to sound sappy, or creepy.

"Um, I was wondering," he stutters and Kyungsoo looks at him with expectant eyes. "If you were free after this, I mean. We could get some coffee together?" 

Kyungsoo looks at him with a stare that one could only call judging.

"I mean-" Jongin rubs the back of his head, thinking of a backup plan. Maybe Kyungsoo's shift just started- but after all the research, he definitely learned that his shift ended at 5PM. Or maybe the coffee date was a bad idea. After all, who invited a guy who worked in a diner on a coffee date-

"I'd love to." Kyungsoo says and Jongin closes his eyes in relief, only to open them to a smiling Kyungsoo who was removing his apron. Jongin smiles a bit too brightly, the happiness threatening to bubble out.

Call him cliched, but he bought Kyungsoo roses that evening.

 

"Roses? Wow, thank you so much, Jongin!" 

Thornless Roses, Jongin corrects. He doesn't tell him the meaning.

 

Jongin remembers the time he first told Kyungsoo he liked him. They were on one of their dates, Kyungsoo glady held Jongin's hand and skipped alongside him as the latter led him to a place he knew sold amazing mac n' cheese.

He was zoning in and out on Kyungsoo's non-stop blabbering (he learned that the latter could talk a hell lot, especially when he was nervous), too preoccupied in observing the way his head bobbed when he was too occupied with talking, the soft strands of his hair moving on his forehead, the scattered moles on the side of his neck and those luscious lips which drove him off the edge.

Whilst waiting for their order and Kyungsoo telling him about his boss and his boyfriend, Jongin takes a piece of tissue and scribbles something on it. Once he gets a call, signalling their order was done, he casually reaches for Kyungsoo's hand from across the table, leading to Kyungsoo to shut up as he slipped the piece of napkin on to his palm, standing up to go and get their food.

Kyungsoo is shocked for a moment, but as he unfurls the piece of paper, his heart starts beating uncontrollably.

Jongin comes back with their food, only to be greeted with a blushing Kyungsoo. He doesn't say anything for a while and Jongin wonders if his handwriting was too illegible and he couldn't understand. Just when Jongin was going to interrupt and apologize, Kyungsoo speaks.

"Yes," he smiles slightly, "I like you too." And then he breaks into one of those grins, his plump lips taking the shape of a heart.

 

Will you be my boyfriend? 

I really like you.

 

Jongin remembers their first kiss. Like hell he'd forget how it felt like to finally kiss those heavenly lips. 

They'd been going out for three months as an official couple. They'd go out out evenings when Kyungsoo was free. As for Jongin, he really was jobless currently. He was planning on retiring from the army after serving for three years and fighting nearly five wars. But, we'll get to that later.

They'd go for a movie, or a concert (where Jongin would get deaf with all the fangirling Kyungsoo would do. the Beatles, mind you), a game, or just a walk in the park. 

That day specifially, was meant for a cheesy, sappy rom-com movie Kyungsoo had insisted on going for. Jongin, being the boyfriend he is, agreed without much hesitation. Though, he really felt like he was going to puke with the number of cliched scenes and kisses going on.

He'd reach Kyungsoo home after every one of their dates, and then smile shyly, shove his hands into his pockets, and walk back. 

This time however, just when he's about to say bye and leave the front doorstep of Kyungsoo's house, Kyungsoo tippy-toes to place a chaste kiss against Jongin's lips. The action is surprising, but definitely not unwelcome as his hands rise to cup Kyungsoo's cheek, his thumb making circles on the skin.

Kyungsoo pulls away after a while, cheeks flushed under the moonlight and Jongin thinks that's the prettiest thing he's ever seen.

 

Jongin thinks he's in love. 

 

He remembers the night after their first time, when he gets out of bed very slowly, so as to not wake his clingy boyfriend (Jongin found that so cute), in order to use the washroom.

Kyungsoo refuses to let him go anywhere, one arm around his waist and the other against his torso. All the while in his sleeping state. Jongin smiles at his boyfriend, his Kyungsoo once he's up, unable to get his eyes off of the beautiful male. 

He finishes and is about to go back to bed, but he bumps into Kyungsoo who was standing in the doorway of the bathroom, rubbing his eyes sleepily. He nearly knocks Kyungsoo over with the strong impact, but the grip of his arms around Kyungsoo is stronger to hold him in place. 

Kyungsoo looks up at Jongin with sleepy curious eyes and realizes the close proximity the two were in. He blushes profusedly, looking away as fast as possible but Jongin tilts his chin frontways, lifting it a bit in order to kiss him again. 

Before you know it, there's clothes on the floor, again, and the two males are in a tangle of limbs on the bed, again. 

 

Jongin knows he's in love. He makes sure to prove it to Kyungsoo in actions, even if he wasn't very good with words.

 

Jongin remembers the first time he seen Kyungsoo cry. Sure, he's seen him shed a few tears during the times they ended up watching a sad movie together. But this time, he knew he was the cause of it. 

"I heard it on the radio." Was all Kyungsoo said.

"I'm sorry, Kyungsoo," Jongin says, pulling a sobbing Kyungsoo into his arms. "I should have sent it in then, I'm so sorry.."

"It's not your fault," Kyungsoo replies, hugging Jongin closer, holding Jongin's t-shirt in his fist. "Just promise me you'll be back." 

Jongin doesn't know how to reply. It was his fault he didn't send his resignation in earlier. There was tension at the border and he'd have to leave the next morning. Kyungsoo showed up at his doorstep that night, eyes red and puffy and Jongin's heart broke. 

Kyungsoo hands move from their position on Jongin's chest, to around his neck as he buries his face into the crook of his neck. "You'll be back for me, okay?

Jongin pulls Kyungsoo away and wipes his tears dry with his already damp t-shirt. He wishes to comfort Kyungsoo, to soothe him, to make love to him and tell him it'll be fine, but he isn't so sure himself. He himself doesn't know what would happen to him at war. Jongin didn't want Kyungsoo to be crying the last time he sees him.

Kyungsoo leans up to and kisses Jongin and fails to understand how, after so many kisses, the older male still manages to make his heart skip a beat whenever they kissed. When they pull apart, breathless and more than a little flushed, Jongin pushes all his thoughts at the back of his head.

"I promise," he says, kissing Kyungsoo's palms. "Be strong for me." 

 

He was going to come back for Kyungsoo, he knew it. 

 

Jongin remembers feeling the loneliest he's ever been. Everyone else was sleeping, only he and a few other like him were awake, listening to the radio.

The DJ would try to calm all the men at war by playing some music. 

Music only reminded Jongin of Kyungsoo. The way they'd listen to this very same DJ and he'd crack jokes, making Kyungsoo laugh, the sides of his eyes wrinkling up with humor. 

Jongin would lie down on their plaid sofa which was much too small for the two of them, and Kyungsoo would be nestled into him, as the radio played in the background. Kyungsoo would sing to him all the time, even if he never knew the lyrics to a particular song which was playing. He'd hum beautifully, and Jongin would steal one or two kisses from him during that time.

"This is for all the lovers out there, who have a better half to return to after the war." The DJ's overly cheerful voice would sound through the radio. "Be strong,"

He sighs, trying his hardest not to break down as one of Kyungsoo's favorite songs start playing. 

 

"Like a river flows shorely to the sea

Darling so it goes some things are meant to be..."

He remembers the day he seen Kyungsoo the happiest.

It had been two weeks since Jongin left. Kyungsoo was slacking off the first two days after, but realized it was no point. He had to be strong instead of wallowing in his misery.

He became somewhat normal but only close friends could see the sadness behind those bright eyes. Every night he'd turn on his radio, and the DJ would pay homage to all the lives lost in the war. Names would be called out of the identified persons who had passed on, and Kyungsoo would listen every night in hopes of not hearing his lover's. 

It was a Saturday. Kyungsoo was sitting on his stool, arm across the counter and head resting on the cool ceramic. The door jingles and he's too busy humming to himself to realize, or to greet whoever entered. 

"Kyungsoo, see what our customer wants," Baekhyun, his boss and best friend says half heartedly from his conversation with Chanyeol. Kyungsoo scoffs, can't he just do it himself?

"What wou-" He's cut off by the sight of his man in all his coffee skinned glory, white pants and yellow polo t-shirt included. Kyungsoo's jaw drops, he really can't believe that's happening right now. Jongin is grinning at him from beside the entrance, his hand rubbing the back of his head in the signature shy-Jongin fashion.

Kyungsoo nearly jumps over the counter and runs to him, throwing himself at Jongin out of happiness. He doesn't even notice he's been crying as feels strong hands hug him back tightly. How he'd  missed this. He wraps his arms around Jongin's neck, pulling him closer and he cries harder. He's pretty sure he feels a few wet tears on his shoulder, but he wasn't one to complain.

When he pulls apart and lets his tears be wiped by Jongin, he doesn't miss the big smile that adorns Jongin's face. "Hey." Jongin croaks out, only to be cut off with Kyungsoo's lips against his own. 

Kyungsoo sighs after pulling away from the kiss, "I love you," he says, kissing him tenderly again. They can hear cat calls from all around the diner but like they were one to care. 

"I love you too, Kyungsoo." He says and nuzzles the side of Kyungsoo's neck. Kyungsoo smiles and he feels his heart skip an unnecessary beat. He swears this is the happiest he's ever felt.

 

And the reason was Kyungsoo. 

 

Jongin remembers last Christmas, when he asks to move in with Kyungsoo.

He's been hinting that fact for a while, the older being completely oblivious to his advances. So he takes it upon himself to ask Kyungsoo if he could move in. Usually, he'd ask, but he's too much of a chicken to face rejection.

"Kyungsoo, I was thinking of moving in with you." He squeaks out one afternoon on the week before Christmas, trying to sound the most serious.

Kyungsoo looks at him like he's insane. "Is that a question?" He asks, because if Kyungsoo remembers right, he didn't hear a questioning tone at the end of the sentence.

"Did you just order me, Kim Jongin!" Jongin sees his eyes eyes narrowing into a glare as he drops his laundry basket limply to the ground. "Do you want to die!" He groans, and Jongin makes a run for it.

After much scampering around the house, Kyungsoo behind Jongin, the latter finally surrenders, standing put, waiting for Kyungsoo to come hit him. "And I planned on spending my life with you!" He wails out, when Kyungsoo bumps into him by mistake.

Kyungsoo stays still and doesn't hurt Jongin. Jongin turns around, a look of surprise on his face when he sees Kyungsoo flushed (with all the physical work of playing tag, or his confession).

"Fine!" Kyungsoo says and hits him on the head, walking away in a diva like fashion. "You can stay!" He hears Kyungsoo scream from the other side of his house.

 

Jongin sqeals on the spot and runs after Kyungsoo to kiss him breathless.

 

Jongin remembers last week, during one of their lazy Sundays when they were lying in bed, half clothed because none had any work that day. Kyungsoo was on top of the taller man, his hand fiddling with Jongin's hand.

It's been a morning full lazy kisses and cuddling and Kyungsoo didn't seem to mind. Too warm to use blankets or any sort of covering, they rely on their own body heat. Resting against each other, a comfortable silence previals among the two of them. 

"You know, Jongin," he says, twirlng his fingers, "If I marry you, I'll be Kim Kyungsoo. Sounds nice, right?" 

Jongin is caught off guard and he begins sputtering words, "I, uh, well, yeah.." he rambles out, looking everywhere but into Kyungsoo's beautiful, expressive eyes. Marriage? 

"I mean, there's no need hiding," Kyungsoo continues, his voice considerably deflated and un-Kyungsoo-like, Jongin thinks. "It's either we get married or break up."

Jongin finds Kyungsoo looking at him from under long eyelashes, an unreadable expression on his face. Jongin cups his cheek and pulls him up for a kiss. He kisses the side of Kyungsoo's lips when they pull apart. 

"With you there was never the question of breaking up. So don't suggest such things, okay?" He pulls Kyungsoo higher over himself. Kyungsoo blushes, as a big smile spreads across his face. Jongin's heart does multiple cartwheels and it's all because of Kyungsoo's smile. 

Kyungsoo snuggles closer and Jongin realizes.

 

It was time.

 

Jongin is fidgeting for many reasons, he'd say. But all of us know it was because of what he intended to do before that night ended. The most nervous day of a man's life.

 

Kyungsoo is currently on his lap as the two of them sit on the sofa, listening to music as Kyungsoo sings  to Jongin like he always did. They had downed a few beers, celebrating their third anniversary and Kyungsoo was more than ecstatic to spend it together in the comforts of their home.

A song starts playing and Kyungsoo jumps on Jongin's lap, disturbing the younger of the two, causing him to chuckle and hug his adorable, petite, boyfriend. "Ow, quit, ngg, Jongin!" Kyungsoo complains as he's being squished by the other male. 

"I can't help it if you're so cute!" Jongin nuzzles into Kyungsoo's shoulder and Kyungsoo starts giggling at the ticklish sensation.

Soon, the laughter dies out, empty beer cans discarded on the floor and the soft sounds of music play in the background. Jongin is hovering over Kyungsoo, nibbling at the latter's earlobe. Kyungsoo sighs in pleasure, his hands carding through Jongin's hair. Jongin pushes his job to the back of his head, that could wait.

Thank heavens they were going slow, because just then, a very familiar tune starts playing and Kyungsoo stops carding his hands through Jongin's hair. Jongin stops his ministrations as he rolls off his boyfriend to stand up. 

That was his cue.

A charming smile on his face, he holds out of hand for Kyungsoo to take. Kyungsoo sits up and gladly accepts it with a smile of his own, being led to the centre of the hall (or their own personal dance floor), as the music continues to sound throughout the room.

"Wise men say, only fools rush in,

For I can't help falling in love with you.."

They sway back and forth, Kyungsoo pressed flush against Jongin's big embrace, his arms around Jongin's neck as the latter holds him close by the waist. Kyungsoo is singing as they dance, and Jongin thinks that makes the song sound so much better, so beautiful.

Jongin knows it's time he did it. He's been preparing this for a while. What more opportune than when their song was playing? 

Slowly, Jongin's hands move up Kyungsoo's body, the small of his back, to his shoulder and around his neck to rest his own hands on Kyungsoo's. He tugs them off slowly, proceeding to back away from the smaller man, leaving him to look at Jongin with a look of confusion on his face.

He kneels down on one knee, with one hand he reaches for Kyungsoo's left, and the other, he reaches into his back pocket for a very familiar feeling ring. Pulling it out, he looks at Kyungsoo one last time and he knows that Kyungsoo knows. Kyungsoo is on the verge of tears, but he knows. 

"Take my hand, take my whole life too,

For I can't help falling in love with you."

He reminds himself to breathe. Inhale, exhale. All his rehearsed speeches are nowhere to be found in his head and he hates himself for being so sudden. Not wanting to make Kyungsoo wait anymore, he inhales one last time before looking up at his love.

"Do Kyungsoo, will you do me the honor of marrying me?" 

Kyungsoo is nodding his head wordlessly, the tears falling down his pretty face. Jongin thinks that the most beautiful thing he's seen. Jongin knows he's in love all over again. 

"Yes," he says out loud as Jongin slips the ring onto his finger and stands up to pull him into a hug.

"I love you, baby." Jongin says into his shoulder, his own tears on the brink of falling.

"And I love you, Jongin." 

And Jongin knows his life is perfect. 


 yay! i am done with this! it is unedited, so sorry if u get another notification tomorrow. //bows 180 degrees//

P.S.what is this dumbness

P.P.S.i edited it again bcs i was repeating lyrics.. such a short song this is lol

Pls comment/upvote if u like me/it~