Finding Yourself

The Wonder Kid
 
It was the end of Sara and HoDong's first year in middle school and also the end of the last year of MaeRi's high school life. Sara hung back leaning on the door frame of hers and Maeri's room as she watched her sister pack all of her belongings into different boxes. She had found a cheap apartment near the university that had thankfully accepted her. She had gone crazy studying after her counsellor told her she had a very small chance of attending a school after graduation. Thankfully it was enough to squeeze two university acceptances, of course she picked the university back in Seoul. MaeRi turned to face the door and saw Sara standing there biting down on the nail of her index finger.
 
"Hey pip squeak, come in here." Sara moved towards Mae Ri and was surprised when she got pulled into a hug. "I'm gonna miss you baby doll."  Baby doll, that's what Mae Ri use to call Sara when she was a baby. She dressed her up and loved to carry her around calling her a baby doll. "You keep doing well in school alright? Promise me you'll do ten times better than this crazy big sister of yours."
 
"Mae Mae... what's gotten into you?" Sara hid her red and tear stained face in her sister's shoulder.
 
Maeri laughed, "Nothing. I'm just happy. It took me a while but I finally figured out who I am and what I need to do with myself. I still have other things to learn but i'm gonna stop being a brat and be a good big sister and a good daughter."
 
"I'll miss you to Mae Mae."
 
"Liar, you're gonna love having your own room. I bet you anything you'll have it covered in sports equiptment in no time." Mae let go of Sara and sat her down on her now coverless bed. "Sara, can I ask you something that I've always been curious about?"
 
"Yeah..."
 
"Are you happy? Are you happy acting like a sports fanatic when a couple of years ago you never picked up a ball like me? Don't you think it's an unfair friendship, I mean you've given up a lot for him. You're basically training with him for police academy when we both know you don't want to be a cop."
 
"I'm happy. Really I am. Sometimes I feel like it to not get a long with the other kids, but when I think about it, i'm not doing anything wrong. Ho Dong is my best friend and I trust him and if the other kids don't want to be nice to me because I hang out with him then they aren't kids I'd want to be friends with anyways. Ho Dong's worth it. Besides even if I don't want to be a cop it doesn't hurt me to do everything he does. I'm really strong and fast now and can defend myself. Plus, I'm really good at studying because Ho Dong works so hard."
 
"You really like him don't you?" Sara nodded innocently but Mae Ri had other ideas in mind. "Well as long as you're happy, I promise to be nicer to him. You're a lot cooler than me you know that. You know who you are already, it took me forever to know what makes me happy." With that MaeRi gave her one last hug before lugging her bags downstairs and into the car. Once everything was packed up and loaded Mae gave Joon a tight hug and a big kiss on the cheek, which he wiped off dramatically.
 
"Sara, take Joon to Dongie's house and stay there for the night. I'll be back from Seoul tomorrow after helping your sister move in. Behave yourselves."
 
"Yes mommy." They recited normally. With a kiss on the forehead they were off.
 
"C'MON NOONA C'MON LET'S GO TO HYUNGS HOUSE!!"  Joon quickly grabbed Sara's hand and pulled her down the street.  Sara smiled at her little brother. Aside from Ho Dong he was the only one that treated her normal.
 
When they reached her best friend's house they knocked on the door and HoJae opened the door. "Oh hey Sara, Joon. Ho Dong's in his room, i'll tell him you're here."
 
"Thanks oppa/ hyung." They bowed slightly and walked into the home. HoJae was obedient to say the least. He was going to start his first year of high school but he studied as if the college entrance exams were around the corner. He was his father's favorite while their mother never admitted but showed a favoritism to her youngest Ho Jun. They did as they were told, while Ho Dong... he did what he loved and that didn't always agree with his parents. Still they never had a complaint because what he loved was being a police officer and that meant good grades and lots of extracariculars. Joon and Sara walked into the living room and bowed when they saw HoDong's mom.
 
"OH SARA! It's so nice to see you my dear. I've been meaning to thank you after receiving Ho Dong's grades a few weeks ago. You two work so well together."
 
"It's not a problem ma'am Ho Dong's very smart on his own."
 
"Of course he is, but he's a tad ... awkward shall we say. You are so nice to be there for him and study together and play."
 
"If anything he helps me, but you're welcome." Sara's ears were red and she was happy when Joon yelled out and ran to Ho Dong.
 
"Hyung!~" Joon wrapped his skinny arms around Dongie's waste. "May we go up stairs now ma'am?"
 
"Oh yes, but please don't be too noisy, Ho Jae is taking extra courses over the summer break and needs to study."
 
"Yes ma'am." Joon sang and ran upstairs with his sister and friend.
 
Ho Dong pulled Sara aside and whispered in her ear, "I've got something amazing to show you." He pulled her to his room and sat the two guests down on the floor. He turned to the miniature tv and vcr player he had in his room setting the volume really low but still audible since Ho Jun was sleeping in the other bed of the room. Popping in the video tape he turned to the other two and said, "I found this when I was walking by the video store the other day. I went into to get a movie to watch with you guys tonight and I got this too." He pressed play and the title read "B-boy Craze". A montage of dancers flashed on the screen and the three kids looked at it with amazement. Ho Dong suddenly stood up and started following along slowly. There were, of course, technical problems here and there, but his flow. His flow was what made him look natural. He danced so happily and confidently that it looked perfect. Still being a novice he tripped over his own feet and tumbled down next to Sara. "Isnt' it amazing Sara? I didn't know dancing could be so fun and hard. I bet it can be great conditioning for your muscles!"
 
Sara nodded and opened to speak when Ho Dong's mother called them down for dinner. The dinner was quiet and Sara didn't question why Dongie spent so much time at her house. Yes they studied and she made him do his work, but her house was just more lively. She didn't doubt his parents loved all three of their sons. Mrs. Lee makes all of Ho Dong's favorite foods, she knows his favorite sports players and worries over him like crazy when he's sick. It was just that their expectations were high for their sons; high and academically sound. After the meal Joon was knocked out next to Ho Jun on the bed while Sara and Ho Dong watched the movie he had picked out earlier. Not that they were really watching it. It played in the background while the two talked about everything that was on their mind.
 
"Sara, how come you do everything I do?" Ho Dong asked.
 
"Didn't I promise to play with you and be your friend?"
 
"Yeah, but you could have stopped anytime? You didn't have to train so hard and study so hard with me."
 
"I like it Ho Dong! Besides we're best friends and no matter what you do I'm going to be right there with you!"
 
"So you're going to be an officer like me?" He almost squeaked out.
 
"I don't know, maybe... You know what you want Dongie and I like that."
 
He gave a small smile before letting out a yawn and turning off the tv. He turned to face the wall on his bed and drifted off into sleep. Meanwhile, Sara laid awake staring at the ceiling.
 
She thought about HoDong's decision to be a police officer and her sister's decision to study broadcasting in Seoul, and even Joon who already knew that he wanted to be chef after cooking with his mom after school. What did she want to be? She spent so much time being with Ho Dong, helping him with his goals and dreams and following them for herself, but did she want that. Her sister was right, she was happy but she was wrong about one thing: Sara didn't know who she was.