Say Something Please

Say Something

Taeyeon was an unwanted child who was left by her parents on the steps of the orphanage a few days after she was born. She grew up to be quite the happy person she is but no one knew about how much she suffered deep inside. She didn't love her parents nor did she hate them. She felt nothing towards them but she did pity herself for not being loved by the first people who were supposed to be the roots of her strength. Despite her loneliness, she lived her life to the fullest. Her misadventures often led her to troubles and scoldings but she would simply brush them off and laugh them away. She wanted to feel satisfied but for some reason, she wasn't. She couldn't. It always felt like something was missing.

Jessica, on the other hand, was involved in a vacation accident where the cable car they were riding fell from its cable and claimed the lives of her parents and her unborn sister. No relatives wanted to take custody of her which forced the youth welfare department to place her in an orphanage. The accident took its toll on her. She walked around with eyes showing not a single streak of hope or even life. Kids would enjoy their childhood and play with the others while she sat in a corner holding the last photo of she had with her family. Every now and then, a tear would fall. She'd hug her knees and cry. When people would attempt to comfort her, she'd simply send ice cold glares at them. She never said a single word ever since the accident. She already lost everything and all she could think of is why she survived.

- Twenty five years later -

"Jessica!!!" Her name was all she could say. She ran as fast as she could. She went down to her knees and lifted the upper body of Jessica. "Hey! Wake up you idiot!" She shook her hard despite the wounds on the blonde girl. "I said wake up you lazy cat!" She took out her phone and immediately called for an ambulance. "Come on, Jessica! Wake up! Don't do this to me!"

The blonde girl didn't say anything nor show a single movement. Taeyeon checked her pulse and was a bit relieved when she felt a beat. Emergency crews arrived and cautiously took Jessica's body into the ambulance. Taeyeon sat beside her and held her hand. She hoped for Jessica to at the very least clench her hand to show that she was still there but no. There wasn't anything.

After being taken care of in the emergency room, Jessica's been transfered to a private room. A ventilator has been attached to her to help with her breathing. Blood and fluids have been injected on her right hand to replace the blood she lost and to provide her body with the needed nutrients. The doctor came in to tell Taeyeon that Jessica was in a comatose state because of the trauma that her head received from the crash. She was confused and did not know what to do so she simply sent the doctor away and sat beside the unconscious Jung.

Taeyeon felt so helpless. All she could do was hold Jessica's left hand and hope for the best. She started playing with Jessica's fingers and suddenly blurted out, "Wasn't this your dream? To be in bed all day! You've got you're dream, okay? Don't you go just yet! We promised each other that we'll fulfill our dreams together! Remember that?" She laughed to herself

A tear suddenly fell from Taeyeon's eye. She immediately wiped it with her free hand but another quickly fell from her other eye. Stop crying! I can't cry now! Not in front of Jessica, even if she's just sleeping. But, she couldn't hold them back anymore. She leaned her forehead on Jessica's arm and started crying quietly.

There was a knock on the door. Since it wasn't locked, the nurse just came right in and placed Jessica's belongings which were now in a bag on the table. She left immediately after that. Taeyeon looked at what the nurse brought in. Upon realizing what it was, she got up and took it. She dug through Jessica's things to find what she's been looking for.

Taeyeon took out a silver ring which had 'Hi! I'm yours.' engraved on it. She held Jessica's ring finger and slipped it on. She smiled and kissed her hand. "We promised never to leave each other's side. I know you can hear me so I'm telling you that I will always be here for you. I want to be the first person you lay your eyes on when you regain your consciousness. Hang in there."

From that day on, Taeyeon never left Jessica's side. Everyday, when the nurse came to clean Jessica up, Taeyeon would help to the point where she learned how to do the cleaning process properly and the nurse let her clean Jessica herself. Almost all of the nurses who check on Jessica know who Taeyeon was. When night came, Taeyeon would secretly climb on the bed and lie beside her love until she falls asleep. Surprisingly, she would get off of the bed just before the nurses would come in to check on the patient. They already know what Taeyeon's been doing and they let her get away with it because they felt sorry for her.

Three months in, Jessica's heart started to fail but doctors managed to bring her back. As soon as the doctors and nurses left, she would sit beside Jessica and tell her how she made her worry. A few days after the first heart failure, Taeyeon would start to cuddle her again.

"Can you please wake up already? It's been three months. I'm starting to get bored." As usual, no response. "I'm just kidding! I will never be bored as long as you're with me! You may be of me but that's never the case for me." She kissed her forehead and whispered, "I love you."

The first six months were quite easy for them since the medical expenses got covered by Jessica's insurance. From the seventh month, their savings started to diminish. Taeyeon insisted on being transferred to a smaller room to cut costs. The second heart failure revealed itself but she was brought back to life again. The doctor even said that Jessica was a fighter and Taeyeon felt proud.

"Jessica, it's been eight months. When are you going to wake up? I want to tell you something! Come on! If you move even just a finger, I'll tell you!" Taeyeon joked around even if she knows she'll get no response in return. "Fine. You're giving me the silent treatment again." She took a deep breath and, "I got signed as a recording artist for a local company! It's not that big but at least I can start creating my own albums now right?"

"I'm so proud of you! I knew you could do it!" Jessica smiled. "What did I tell you?" She giggled.

"I know." Taeyeon held Jessica's hand. "It was all because of you. Oh! Wanna hear my demo? It's all ballads, though."

"No worries! As long as it's your voice, even if it's an opera album, I'd buy a dozen!" Jessica laughed.

"YAH! Why would you buy a dozen? What does that mean? My album's not going to sell?"

"No silly! One will be mine and the rest, I'll have you signed so I can sell them at a higher price since the autograph's legit!" She grinned.

"Oh you!" And that's when Taeyeon realized. "When did you get out of the hospital?" Silence. "Jessica?"

"Jessica!" and then she sees the truck coming. "Jessica! Get out of the way! JESSICA!"

Taeyeon let out a loud scream which prompted a nurse to come in immediately. As soon as the door opened, Taeyeon was up her feet. "What's wrong Ms. Kim?" Taeyeon wiped the sweat on her forehead. "Oh sorry! I just had a bad dream! Sorry." The nurse left with a sigh of relief.

The brunette sat back on the chair near the bed. "Hey! What was that about? You gave me quite a scare!" She smiled. "But I really do miss you, so much. I miss hearing your voice. I miss our harmonies." Tears started to form. "Heol! I even miss your dolphin squeals!" They streamed down her cheeks. "Jessica, please." She gulped. "Please." She gave up and cried herself to sleep while holding the blonde girl's hand.

Taeyeon's 30th birthday came on the ninth month. A cupcake with a candle is all she brought. She sang the birthday song and blew the candle. "You know what my wish was? It was for you to wake up so please grant my wish?" She kissed her hand and as if on cue, her heart fails again for the fourth time. Doctors rushed in quickly to revive the blonde girl and for the fourth time as well, they were able to bring her back. Taeyeon thanked them and she glared at Jessica. "What was that, huh? I said wake up not eternal sleep!" She crossed her arms and sat at the small sofa near the room door. "Don't you dare pull that kind of stunt on your birthday or I'll kill you!" Taeyeon said jokingly.

A month and a week later, it was Jessica's birthday. As soon as Taeyeon entered the room, she saw the doctors and nurses surrounding her. "Wait, another heart failure?" She threw out the question in the air and hoped someone would answer. "Yes, Ms Kim but she's stable now."

All the people left except for one doctor. He approached Taeyeon and looked into her eyes. "Ms Kim, we need to talk about Ms Jung's situation." Taeyeon nodded and sat down beside Jessica.

"I don't want to make this hard for you but I don't want to make it hard for Ms Jung either." Taeyeon listened carefully. "The gap between her heart failures are slowly narrowing. Her heart seems to be weaker than it originally was." She gripped her love's hand. "It's like the only things keeping her alive are this ventilator and you." She let go of Jessica's hand and buried her face in her own hands. "I'm sorry Ms Kim but it had to be said. I'll leave you now."

As soon as the door closed, Taeyeon got up and looked at Jessica. "What ever happened to our promise? What ever happened to 'the two us until the end'? Tell me." Her eyes started welling up. "You want to leave me? Now? On your birthday? Go! Do it!" Taeyeon gripped the feet of Jessica's bed tight. "Now you don't want to leave? You want to leave without my presence? Why? Isn't it painful enough that I've been talking to myself for ten freaking months now? My god! People around this hospital might even think I've gone full-on crazy!" She chuckled while wiping her tears. "I even brought you your favorite mango cake! The least thing you could've done was wait for me to arrive before another one of your episodes."

Taeyeon was a mess but she didn't lose hope. A month passed and Jessica had two more heart failures with a two-week gap in between and she was revived in both incidents.

The night before the accident's anniversary...

"Hey! You're the new girl, right? Why aren't you talking?" A kid asked the little blondie but she simply ignored her. "I just wanted to welcome you to this orphanage! It's not much but it's my home!"

Jessica stood from her corner and sat somewhere else but the little brunette just followed her.

"Hey! My name's Kim Taeyeon and I'm five years old! What's your name and age, blondie?" Jessica burries her head on her knees. "What's that you're holding? Oh! A picture! Is this your family?" Jessica hides it from Taeyeon's sight. "It must be nice to know what your parents look like. I never got to know who mine were or even see them. I was left here a few days after I was born." Jessica looked at the midget in front of her and for the first time since her family's accident, her eyes showed something other than sadness.

"Say something please! People might think I'm crazy if I keep talking and you don't answer." Taeyeon giggled. Jessica tried opening . "Yes? That's it. Go on. Now I need to hear your voice."

Jessica simply whispered, "Jessica, f-f-five..."

"Finally! I thought I was gonna have to force your tongue out." Taeyeon laughed again while Jessica covered with her hand. "Hey hey! I was just kidding."

"Say your name and say 'I wanna be friends with you' like this: Hi! I'm Taeyeon and I wanna be your friend!" She smiled and offered a handshake.

Jessica stood and tried saying in a voice louder than a whisper, "Hi! I'm Jessica and I wanna be friends with you," and shook Taeyeon's hand.

"Oops! You forgot something!" Jessica looked blank. "You forgot to smile! Like..." Taeyeon got her hands up and, "THIS," started tickling Jessica who laughed so hard.

"Jessica!"

"Taeyeonah!"

"Jessica!" Taeyeon woke up to find that it was already morning and it was the anniversary of Jessica's accident. She sat beside the blonde girl and held her hand. "What was that dream for? Want do you want to say?" Taeyeon's tears were present because it was painful. "Is it time for you to go? Can I at least hear you voice one last time? Please?" Taeyeon begged but there was no response. "Say something please, Jessica. I'm starting to give up. Please say something, even just my name."

"Please."

"Taeyeonaaah!"

Taeyeon heard something.

"Kim Taeyeon!"

She shook her head and looked at Jessica. "Was that you?"

"I love you Kim Taeyeon!" A sudden rush of cold air hugged Taeyeon's body.

The next thing Taeyeon heard was a flat line.