셋째 장

The Power Seekers

The old man jerked from his seat hearing the Inn's bell ring upon the door opening. Into the small closing, walked five unfamiliar figures.

Usually, he'd ignore people who came in, although that rarely happened anyway, but those strangers gave off a different vibe from the rest.

*Jeonsa, perhaps?*, the elder shivered at the thought watching as they looked around for a few moments.

''That is none of your business, Mr. Choi, I'm sure you have better things to do than ponder upon your visitors' occupations.'', Taemin bitterly warned not even sparing a glance at the old man whose eyes slightly widened.

''I'm sorry, sir, but I do suggest you beware of your thoughts around this one.'', Changmin kindly suggested leaving the man to ponder in silence.

''She's here.'', all heads turned to Henry who tapped his fingers against the only empty spot on the key board. ''Room 11. Seohyun, you know what to do.''

The girl nodded before leaving up the red carpet covered stairs.

''Taemin, you still can't hear her..?''Sulli questioned.

The boy only half-heartedly shook his head. ''But the problem is, I can't even detect her mind's presence.''

''Maybe it's just because of the distance, don't beat yourself up over it.'', Changmin reassured his apprentice.

''You're too kind Changmin. Let's face it, he's too busy being an arrogant, little brat to improve.'', Henry mocked, earning a glare from Changmin.

He'd been taking care of Taemin ever since he found him, eight years ago. Changmin's generation, Ryeowook's, Donghae's, they were mostly people who had magic running in their family, who's ancestors were members of their guild, Maeum under Lee Sooman, one of the great three Jeonsa saints.

The younger ones, they were mostly abandoned, lost and found, or were victims of the War. Due to the strong radiation, like a disease, more children was born with mabeob even coming from their non Jeonsa parents.  Changmin took Taemin in and introduced him as a brother to his own son, Minwoo, although the two were polar opposites. Minwoo is a rather lively and curious boy by nature, much like his mother used to be while Taemin on the other hand is closed in and almost indifferent to everything. He could still remember the time when he got home late from the Guild meeting only to be greeted by the sight of the five year old Taemin rocking the newborn in his arms, his cold little eyes staring at the baby with reluctant curiosity. With time, it became evident they became very close in their own special way.

One more thing that made Changmin take the boy in, were his powers which were very much similar to his own... Taemin possessed mind manipulation, mind reading while Changmin was naturally familiar with the arts of telepathy... Reading and connecting, the perfect match.

*min... Changmin!*, the man snapped out from his daze hearing Seohyun's voice ring in his mind.

*S-Seohyun, what's wrong?*, he thought back. ''Guys, it's Seohyun.'', he regained his companions' attention.

*She's missing.*, the girl bitterly responded. ''She's missing...'', the others sighted in defeat.

*Just when we thought we found her. Seohyun, we're coming up.* *Please do.*...

graphic-divider.gif

''A-Ahjusshi...'', Luna called out to the elder at the staircase with her guild mates already on the move.

''Aren't you gonna go invade my custimer's privacy with your friends there?'', he ironically questioned.

Luna just bit her lip, sighting. ''Just so you know, Ahjusshi... Your wife...'', the man's eyes sharply turned to look at hers.

''and your daughter Aesook.. your brother Kangchi too. They aren't happy to see you like this.'', with that she ran up the dusty stairs leaving the man in evident confusion and utter wonder.

graphic-divider.gif

''Hey,'' Henry called out to the girl at the end of the lobby. She had thin lips, messy bangs, rare hair framing her rectangular face and a large forehead.

But she was Seohyun.

''Hey,'', the girl breathed out seeing her comrades approaching her. In a matter of seconds, every cell, the muscles, the bones in her body started twisting, making it back to her usual studying looks with her maid uniform still on, loosely hanging over some places her previous form wasn't humble on.

It was supposed to be a play, Seohyun shape shifts, knocks at the girl's door and snoops around the room, maybe even start a conversation, but she just had to be absent at the time the Jeonsas came for her.

''I guess the prick wasn't mistaking after all...'', Henry spoke as if to himself looking into the room over Seohyun's shoulder.

Everybody let Sulli step inside first.

''Insects...'', she spoke in her usual tiny voice, ''three insects in the walls, one on the sealing... I'm surprised there aren't more...''.

She pointed fingers as she went. ''Aha, a mouse!'', she sounded almost happy exclaiming it, ''they're easier to communicate with.''

Even though she could feel Henry's weird looks behind her back, she just ignored it. The guy was never happy with anyone besides himself.

A mouse hopped to her feet from behind a small table at a near corner. Sulli bent and kneeled down taking it onto her lap.

Seeing she was doing her thing, the others slowly stepped inside too, looking around.

''What the is this hellhole..?'', Henry bashed. ''Not everywhere in the city is like in the guild's palace, Henry. More people I've seen died during the War died from hunger, exhaustion and bad conditions rather than from a gun. Learn to understand than not everyone's life as good as yours. Get used to a little dust and dirt.''

Luna bashed back, sending him a cold look, successfully shutting him up. It was a far known phenomenon that the sweetest ones could glare the hardest.

''Guys!'', all heads turned to Sulli. ''He's spoken?'', Changmin questioned, nearing the girl who'd stood up.

''Man, It's my job to get every language out there and I can't even hear the darn animal.'', Henry exclaimed, but just like most of the times, he was ignored.

''She's been here for two days, three nights, on her own. She hasn't brought anyone to the room and went out only half an hour ago, meaning she'll be back sooner or later, leaving her things intact. Also, she'd been leaving the room for meals, nothing out of the ordinary since there is no food providence in the hotel. This is the first time she left at this hour of the day… The only thing we know is that she went out of town just know, the little guys weren't able to follow her into the desert because of the pressure radiation.'', her team mates nodded in satisfaction.

''House animals such as insects, mice and many others aren't capable of possessing mabeob like wolves, dogs and the stronger animals, sometimes. But even so, they are able to feel mabeob and this is with no doubt her room. There used to be hundreds of them in this building but most of them ran away, feeling such power on the radar. I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to get anything more than that.'', Sulli explained.

''No, no, it's more than enough, good job.'', Changmin smilingly reassured her.

''But this... even now I can feel the mabeob presence, like something that powerful has been in here. It's upsetting.''

''This girl...'', Taemin started, ''she's like a ticking bomb. It's dangerous for everyone to have such an example running around.''

''What do you mean? Why should it be so bad? Isn't power what we all want in the end?'', Sulli carefully questioned looking at Luna, sternly in the eyes.

''That, in fact, is true but... Imagine it like this.'', Luna explained, ''You have an enormous amount of power stored in one person. The power, it's not being used and mabeob is piling up, it's pulsating, overflowing,''

''Just like everybody described it...'', Changmin ended. ''It would be strange if she hadn't noticed any changes, I don't know...'', he tapped fingers against his chin. ''severe headaches, trembling muscles, sharpened senses,''

''Inhuman strength?'', Henry's voice could be heard in the backround. ''Yes, indeed. But how did you-''

''Guys... You might wanna look at this.'', all heads turned to the Language Jeonsa.

He was standing in front of the window sill, unmoving, staring down. Pushing Taemin out of the way, Changmin carefully stood by Henry.

''Inhuman strength...'', he muttered underneath his breath.

There was an incredibly deep imprint of a hand on the metal surface of the stock. The closer surroundings around the dent were broken, it was a miracle they hadn't noticed it as soon as they walked in. Slowly but surely, Taemin's eyes widened upon reading his guardians thoughts. *Is that even possible..?*

The leader swallowed hard before turning around.

''We are going back to the Guild immediately. I honestly do not care whether Sooman's here at the moment so now, Luna, you will fatch the best trackers we have to find her. We have danger on the loose. If that person doesn't do something about her mabeob, it's going to become dangerous for both her, and every single person in this city.''

graphic-divider.gif

''Good job, Changmin'', Sooman praised, ''But how come you know of mabeob so much? Those are some very rare studies you described back there.''

The man bit his lip, ''Mi... My wife had died from a mabeob related sickness. I studied in hopes of finding out something more about... it.'', he uncomfortably responded with his voice suddenly turning dark.

Sooman sighted at the memory of the bright woman. ''I understand... I apologize for bringing it up, Changmin.''

''We... what do we do now, Juryeon?'', Henry cautiously questioned, breaking the defining silence.

''Ah, yes. Check if she's came back home, get our best trackers and bring her here.''

''Juryeon, I'm sorry, but I already spread the command. I believed that it'd be the most effective if we start the operation as soon as possible.'', Changmin explained, knowing fully well of Sooman's trust in him. The elder agreeingly nodded.

''Very well then. But, who did you send away?''

''Tiffany, Key, Taeyeon and Jonghyun, Juryeon.''

''Oh... But why not the young ones? They're good at those things.'', Sooman suggested.

''Most of them are on missions, Juryeon, dated to come back some time around dinner. It was inconvenient waiting for them to come.'', Luna started, ''only Jongin is dutyless.''

''Why not send him? They are natural trackers, speed, hearing, vision, as good as our previously mentioned Jeonsa are, Jongin is the most qualified for the job.'', his minors uncomfortably exchanged glances.

''Well... Juryeon...'', Sulli shyly explained, ''We did try and reach him, but...''

Her voice died down, playing with her hands on her lap, kneeling. Sooman knowingly chuckled, understanding the situation.

''That little brat... Such a silent trouble maker. Don't tell me he's missing again?'', he asked in disbelief, ''You know what, don't answer that.”, Sooman sighted. “I'll get him once he comes back. Luna, Changmin, Sulli, Taemin, Henry, you did a good job. This person's arrival was all too sudden, I understand that completely and your quick results were outstanding. You may rest now as the trackers are on duty. You're dismissed.''

graphic-divider.gif

''Jinri!'', a voice shouted from behind her. *Only one person ever calls me that.*

The soft spoken girl was in the empty dining hall, preparing the tables to serve food for dinner. The Maeum's Guild Palace was indeed beautiful, was built long, long ago in a gothic fashion and was one of the biggest constructions in Jomyeong. As beautiful as it was, the Palace always looked empty and old, sad even.

''M-Minho,'', she shyly turned around to see the handsome Jeonsa jog into the hall, his steps echoing from afar.

The two had a complicated relationship. Caring all too much for each other, but never truthly confessing it out loud as the time was never really right, and the place even less so.

Upon reaching her, he pulled her into a warm embrace, wrapping his arms around her as the girl happily followed after.

''How did you know I was here,'' Jinri dreamily looked up with their arms still limp and each thers sides, with his bigger hands pressed firmly against her waist.

''Silly,'', he chuckled, ''you know I can always find you.''

''Oh, super eyes... Remembered,'', she smiled. ''Ouch!'', she winded once Minho flickered her forehead. ''What was that for..?,'', she pouted.

''I don't need heat vision to find you...'', he spoke tenderly, ''I could find you with my eyes closed and my ears plugged.''

Seeing her blush, Minho smiled down at her lovingly. And indeed, he knew all too well that at that place and time, moments like that never lasted long enough.

Placing a gentle hand over her shoulder, he pulled the girl to sit down onto one of the wooden carved, table benches. Jinri leaned her back against her table as Minho sat on his side with his arm supporting his head on his elbow positioned at the wooden surface.

''So... What's the ruckus about?'', Minho questioned curiously, taking a grape from the table and popping it into his mouth.

''Well...'', the girl started, ''have you been noticing any kind of... change? Change in the pressure?''

His eyes widened. ''H-How did you know?''.

''It's... complicated. I suppose you haven't been on duty lately, huh?''

Minho sheepishly nodded. ''Y-yeah... Taeyeon's been taking all of my potential jobs which you know is mostly tracking. We're both weak in combat as we specialize vision techniques, so there's always been some competition in between. I mean, why's she so much better than me? She has X-Ray vision, she's supposed to be held in a lab with Lay, examine bones and leave the work to me.'', he scoffed, ''I'm the heat vision! I'm Super Man!''

Sulli let out a small laugh, ''Yah, come on, admit it that it's cool!'', he whined.

''Choi Minho. It's amazing how you can make me laugh at all times. And, how random can you g--aaaaaah'', finished with a shriek.

''Boo.'', Leetuk peaked from behind her shoulders earning a glare from Minho.

''Yah, Sunbae, what do you think you're doing!''

Leetuk chuckled before jumping and positioning himself to sit onto the table, between the pair, cross legged, with them spotting his movements as mere flashes of colors.

''No need to be so rough, lover boy.'', Leetuk smirkingly teased. ''So, Sulli, what's up with the pressure?''

''What makes you think she knows anything?'', Minho childishly defended earning a smile from the girl.

''She and the mental squad been running in and out of Sooman's throne room constantly for the past two days. Just thought she might know something about it. The pressure, it's irritating, disturbing my beauty sleep.'', he turned to look at her, his tone becoming somewhat more serious, ''What is it? Who does it belong to? It's pretty obvious Sooman doesn't want us to know anything about it yet. He just sent off the trackers and besides you guys, no one knows anything about it. He doesn’t let us take on jobs either.''

''It's true...'', Sulli started, ''I went to the first search mission with Taemin, Henry, Changmin and Luna Unnie. It's really a long story... A person arrived at Jomyeong three days ago and all of us who were doing jobs, we noticed the enormous amount of mabeob nearby, it's even worse when you're surrounded by humans, out the palace and when this person's pressure is all you can actually feel. We all thought it was our imagination, but found everybody else experiencing the same thing. Telling Sooman, he sent us to research. We went to the person's hotel room, but she wasn't there. Although, what fascinated me the most, is that we found a hand imprint in the window sill. The metal was curved inside, forming a shape of her palm with the sides twisting.''

Leetuk and Minho exchanged glances.

''How strong must that person be..? Is their power super human strength or something? I don't know anyone that physically strong besides the wolves, but they're long extincted.'', the younger concluded.

''Long story short... In the end, it all comes down to one thing.'', Minho could feel how tense and worried she was.

''That girl's dangerous. Her mabeob, it's caged, unused and she doesn't seem aware of that. This is my first time of encountering something like this... It's so strange.. happened too fast. People come in and out of Jomyeong all the time and in that pity crowd of people, we found such an extraordinary example.''

Minho tapped his cheek, ''Why does this ,,mabeob lock down,, sound so familiar..?'', he wondered.

''Because, you're too young to remember this isn't the first time we've faced someone like this.'', Leetuk explained, ''The similar thing happened to some of our own in the past.''

''Who?'', the pair's eyes widened upon hearing the fact.

''Oh yes, but it wasn't nearly as bad as this case seems to be. Their pressures were all just a little bit higher than an average Jeonsa's.''

Sulli and Minho stared, waiting for the clarification. Leetuk chuckled.

''It's the boys... Kai, Chen, Lay, Tao and D.O. Those six always seemed somehow connected. We found all of them in one year period on different places, conditions, but we could feel their mabeob was stronger than average. Even so, we took them in and it was all solved before anything turned into an issue.''

''Minho, Minho, such poor memory of you.'',

''Unnie!'', Sulli immediately recognized the voice. ''Where?'', Miho looked around.

''Up here, you dimwits.'', all heads turned up to see a slim figure with her face down smirked at them. Her feet were steady on the hall sealing, defying the laws of gravity.

''Victoria,'' Leetuk teasingly addressed the beauty, ''never miss an oportunity to make a surprise entrance.''

The woman chuckled before propping herself onto a kneeling possition towards the sealing and extruding herself away from the stone wall. In a matter of seconds, she'd swirled herself in the air like a cat as she landed gracefully with one palm on her bare knee.

Standing up she greeted. ''Hello dongsaeng, Minho,'' Victoria nodded in their direction before turning to the older male,''Leetuk, you mind telling me what this is about? We aren't allowed out of this place.''

''Victoria my dear, I'm sure you've already overheard our previous conversation, but there are things even I don't know. Sorry to disturb your high opinion of me.'', he suggestively smiled making her huff. One would have thought the two were lovers at times, but they'd been together for years and it was nothing out of the ordinary seeing them picking on each other as the cockies ones of the bunch.

''Really? Well Leetuk dear, I haven't been outside the castle for four days and you know how much I hate being locked in.''

''He probably doesn't want any other Jeonsa running around, disrupting the target's mabeob pressure for the trackers.'', Sulli set an example.

''Well that does sound reasonable.'', Victoria nodded, ''How long have they been out scouting, anyways?''

''Changmin sent them away at noon,'', Sulli recalled, ''so I believe it's already been three to four hours.''

Sighting, the girl stood up from her comfortable position beside Minho and dusted off her skirt before runing a hand through her pixie short hair.

''I might as well get to work, the dinner's starting soon. Let's just hope the trackers will be here at the end of the day with good news.''

graphic-divider.gif

Hi theree~ That was one longass chapter two of "The Power Seekers"~ I hope you liked it ^.^ Tell me what you think in the comments below:D

Next chapter will be the first encounter of the main pairing in the series and I'm super excited for no actual reason. -.-' I wrote this quite a while ago and I've got six chapters finished and most of the story planned. It's just that I started writing chapter 7 and I somehow managed to delete it. The whole thing, about a couple of thousand words. Soo, I started writing again and it's just a pain in the neck.

I'm not going to update that soon since school is starting since I got myself a job and 11 after school activities to attend two times a weekand let's take into consideration that I'm graduating this year and that my job is a daily 1000 words homework on a different topic each time.

I feel sick just thinking about it...

But, I'll find the time to be writing this and updating regularly if you guys be responsive so... please be responsive and tell me whether it's worthy of giving a shot to~^.^

Thank you for bearing with me~

With love,

Lenkaa