하나

The Power Seekers

She incospicuously moved through the crowd gathered out on the streets of Jomyeong, the light city who had seemingly lost it's shine.

The once happy people replaced their smiles with bleak expressions not even bothering to look at her before showing her out of the way.

Yet, she couldn't complain, for she knew the reason behind the melancholy, with no doubt.

It became like that ever since the Eoduun War had ended against the North. The victory came to the South but with all the lost lives and imposing turns of events, every partial motive to happiness faded in comparison.

The savagery and grief left it's trace on each one of their lives, with Haneul's being no exception what so ever.

''Oh, s-sorry'', she failed to apologize to the elder woman who she had bumped into but the lady payed it no mind, only passing by as if she were a ghost.

Haneul sighted watching the woman's retrieting back before she moved from her sight in the crowd of people.

She remembered the last time she visited Jomyeong. Back then when she was proud, oblivious and lucky enough to call herself happy.

And that was long ago.

Pushing the memories aside she reluctantly moved from her spot at the centre of the old square filled with creatures, known to have supposed to be human.

Even the air had changed. From what she remembered, since Jomyeong was positioned right at the coast of the infinite ocean, it used to smell like salt, fish, happiness and pride.

The sea was still there, the fish too... but now it reeked of smoke, deceit and bitterness.

Suddenly, a sharp string of pain went through her head. Lasted only a mere second but was more than enough to make sight get blurry for a moment.

*It's acting up again... Either way, me beating myself up over it isn't going to bring anyone any good in the end.*

 

She took a short shaky breath, stole her last glance at the square and just then, she walked away in hopes of no one noticing her crying over past memories as if it weren't an uncommon thing to see.

graphic-divider.gif

 

She entered a small building near by the square which had an old sigh hung up saying ,,Choi Family Inn'' although it seemed as if it were about to fall from up there at any moment. The red color of the letters and characters had faded as well but Haneul knew better than to expect anything lively around. The situation wasn't like that in Jomyeong only, it was all over the country but seeing the city of Light in that shape made her feel even worse, doubting that she'd ever been by the town in the first place. Even during the War the place looked better than it did now.

Entering, she noted the sickly brown wall paint peeling off, two old sofas at the close end of the small lobby, a large wooden clock on the wall along with plenty of family pictures in the tremulous frames.

She could hear the clock ticking, the man breathing and huffing into his cigarette, dust flying along the filthy air and landing onto the furniture. The smell of smoke and moisture lingered in the air, and with all of that combined, it seemed somehow sad giving off a lonely and bleak feel.

She had gotten used to her sharpened senses as they had appeared three years ago, and she was surprised by now much of an atmosphere these little things could make.

Finally, she caught sight of a person by the little reception desk which was covered with left over cigarettes and burnt papers.

''E-excuse me,'', she tried to get the old man's attention. As cruel as it sounded, to her he looked like every other citizen of Jomyeon she'd seen so far. Clad in gray and black, avoiding locking sights with anyone and everyone breathing, deep in thought and his expression sorrowful. The man still payed no mind.

''Excuse me, sir... but can I have a single room?'', she pleaded anew trying to sound as gentle as possible.

''Does it look like we're full?'', he mumbled in his sour voice with his, most likely one hundredth cigarette hanging limply from his cracked gray lips.

''Help yourself.'', he suggested, motioning to the wooden board to the left on him fixed to the wall.

Haneul took careful steps towards, seeing about thirty golden key chains hanging from the board.

Concluding that the man wasn't in the mood for her questioning, she just took the first chain closest to her and moved towards the spiral staircases.

For as far as Haneul could see, on the walls were total of hundreds of photos and frames, enlightening her that people still didn't get to the point to forget.

Wooden stairs, covered with a pale red carpet, creaked underneath her weight. The Inn wasn't in it's best shape, that was for sure.

Seeing how many repairs had to be done made the girl wonder when was the last time anyone had used a room in here.

*Room 11...*, she checked the number on the keychain,*That should be on the second floor.*.

Skipping another round of stairs she ended up in a foggy hallway, reeking of moisture and dust from the walls.

*9...10...11*

Pushing the key through the lock she entered the small space fit enough to be a horse barn, but still... it had a bed and a pillow.. a window even.

*What's more there to ask for in these conditions anyway.* 

graphic-divider.gif

 

(Juryun- leader)

 

''Juryun.'', a slim figure speedly walked into the spacious palace hall along with four others looking as if in a hurry.

Sooman raised an eyebrow at his minors, lying comfortably in his throne, tapping his long fingers along the surface of the smooth leather seat.

''What.'', coming from him the question sounded more like a demand, an order, but the others knew better than do disobey him in any way, no matter how gentle and understanding the man sometimes might have sounded. Rather, once reaching the far end of the hall, the five fell down onto their knees and let the person in the middle talk.

''Juryun,'', Luna started, ''both me and many others who've been doing jobs around Jomyeong have sensed an amazing amount of mabeob somewhere for the past three days.''

Hearing that, Sooman straightened himself up, leaning his head a little closer to the person speaking. All of them knew it was a habit of his when he was interested, giving his full attention.

''Are you absolutely sure it wasn't someone from our guild?''

''Yes, sir. This mabeob was... overflowing, you could feel that it's never been used, trained, anything.''

Sooman's eyebrows met at the centre, emphrazing his heavily lined forehead as he moved his hand to place it over his lips.

''That also rules out the other guilds.'', Krystal concluded. ''I agree, I don't think the other guilds would throw away something as valuable as that.'', Taemin added.

Sulli nodded in agreement, ''The dogs, cats, mice on the streets feel it too, the person seems completely oblivious of the mabeob even to them. How come no one noticed her before? Any sane jeonsa could've felt that kind of magical preasure.''

''In this area, there aren't many guilds other than ours. At least they lasted until the War. As silly as it is, there weren't many people who could've identified it. Humans can't feel mabeob, only animals and jeonsa can.'', Krystal explained with a bitter expression.

''From the mentality nature of the mabeob, I was able to conclude the person's female. It's very calm, collected, intelligent, and it's a relief to conclude that she's not on the dark side.'', Taemin concluded. ''But I couldn't read her thoughts. I was coming back from a job near the border and I felt the energy on the other side of the train. I took time to analyze it, but that was all I could do. I apologize, Juryun.''

Sooman sighted in defeat.

''Juryun, with all due respect, it doesn't have to be Taemin's fault. It's happened to me before a few times.'', Changmin defended, ''The last time Eunhyuk lost it during a battle, his mabeob became too uncontrolled to stabilize and connect. There were times with Chanyeol, Jongin and the others too. Taemin even, when preoccupied is hard to connect with too.''

''I suppose that's reasonable. It's a good thing you're strong, just try not to let your power get ahead of you.'', Sooman advised the kneeling five.

''Luna, Taemin, Changmin, Sulli. I want you to find that girl and observe her, learn of here where-abouts, habits and reasons why she suddenly came here,'', the said three nodded in agreement.

''And take Henry and Seohyun with you as well.'', Sooman ordered motioning his hand for his minors to stand back up as they did. ''We don't know where she's from and Seohyun might just get us a closer approach to her. And tell Sunny to keep an open eye for clues. If she gets a vision, send her to me right away.''

graphic-divider.gif

*Gray.*, it was the best word to describe the city in front of her while standing at her window observing the dull landscape.

Even while the War was still present, Jomyeong had looked like a brighter place to be in.

Although, Haneul wasn't born in Jomyeong, she considered it her second home. The memories of her life before the savagery had vanished like a single gust of wind, like her existence had only came to be years later in the Muhan-ui Tower.

It was a tall construction made by the North in pure ice colored Mabeob stone. Children and Elders of the South were taken away from their homes and brought there as slaves in order to exploit Mabeob from the stones shedding blood and sweat and tears without a single rebellion.

It was the hardest time of her life, but the happiest one too because in that little cramped up cell, she had met them.

The only friends she ever had, who were lost, long gone and missing. All the pain shared together was lessened and Haneul could only wonder whether she'd have even managed to survive on her own.

The tower had crashed, fallen, leveled to the ground taking hundreds of innocent lives with it along with the lives of her friends, although she preferred not to think that way.

The Tower used to be so close to Jomyeong as she and the other children often snuck out to the seashore during their free times. Those were only rare moments, minutes, but they'd lived under such circumstances, it was more than enough to see the ocean which symbolized freedom. Their common dream.

*I wanted to be free... but not like this.*

Looking out the window, not even the seagulls circled the wide ocean surface seeing the skies weren't blue anymore, rather they were gray, white and bleak reflecting it's dullness onto the sea.

There were very few survivors, she being one of them. Children worked at the highest parts of the beautiful diamond tower stained with blood and despair of it's unwilling workers while the adults worked at the ground levels.

For as much as she knew, she was the only child to have escaped.

*I tried... tried to get them back, to reach them but...*

She snapped out of her thoughts with the feeling of something moving underneath her finger tips.

Her hand imprinted and pressed against the window stock leaving an evident mark of metal and wood bending under her subconscious force.

Two years after the Muhan-ui fall, she spotted sudden changes in her body but still considered them minor and unworthy of the attention.

*Again...*

She frowned at the shaping in the man's property before moving away from the window with small steps.

graphic-divider.gif

AN: Hello:) I think it would be only aproporiate of me to introduce myself first~ My name is Lenka and I'm a realtively new author on AFF:) I've been into kpop for years now and fanfiction as well, but I've never really tried to write anything serious before.. The thing is that I don't feel like I'm good enough to publish but I've read and heard from many authors that their first fics all , so I decided to give it a shot, for real:) I studied in England and my English is pretty decent, it's just that I sometimes find it hard to make the sentenses sound fluent artistically, u'know~ I would like to get as much support as possible and critisysm is welcome as well! Tell me if you like it, tell me if you don't but no flames, please! I handle flames really poorly and I take them personally, so please don't do that:) Let me know if there's anything I should fix about my writing or if you have any suggestions or questions about the story:)

To the anime lovers out there, who might have already noticed, yes, this story has been inspired by Fairy Tail but no, the storyline will be completely different:D

Sorry for the long note, I hate those as well TT.TT I just needed to get this all out of my system and tell you to enjoy this as much as you can cause I still did put in quite a bit of effore:D Fighting~

With Love,

Lenkaa:)