Trouble

Charm Lessons

"Step one."

Baekhyun winces because its 7 o'clock in the morning on a Saturday, he has quidditch practice in an hour and Jongdae's voice is loud and crackling through the megaphone he summoned from who knows where. 

"Step one." Jongdae grins, before a toy microphone, bright pink handle and all, is whipped out of his robe and he starts singing,

"If you wanna be my lover. You gotta get with my friends. Make it last forever. Friendship never ends,"  With that, Jongdae smirks and prances away, shoes crackling through the frozen grass underfoot.

"That's it?" Baekhyun shrieks out, shivering in his thin robe. "You called me out at 7 in the morning on a ing Saturday to sing a song?"

He hears Jongdae's cackling as the figure slips through the front doors and into the Main Hall and Baekhyun just manages to repress a another shriek of annoyance. 


He stumbles to the Quidditch field half an hour later, knowing how much Joonmyun hates tardiness. He's shivering and wet (from the 'playful' serpent in the moat) and arrives to find Joonmyun scowling across the field at a blob of green and silver robes. 

"Slytherin?" Luhan, one of their beaters asks as Joonmyun's scowl deepens. "What are they doing here."

"Beats me," Joonmyun growls out and Baekhyun sighs, knowing it's going to be a long practice. 

He's proven correct three minutes later when a disgruntled Madame Lee stalks over, a glare menacing enough to stupefy the whole entire team and tells the Gryffindor keeper, "Slytherins are sharing a practice field with you for the next three weeks."

"Fan-ing-tastic," Joonmyun, their normally very sweet captain growls out as Madame Lee walks away.

Baekhyun stares across the field and a tall figure with strikingly dark hair catches his eye. "Fan-ing-tastic," he echoes miserably. 


The Slytherin captain, a tall, dark haired wizard named Kris stalks across the field a few moments later after Madame Lee has spilt the news to their team as well. With one of his freakishly large hands (maybe that's why he's the keeper), he waves the rest of his team over and the two teams end up in an awkward stare off. 

Baekhyun somehow ends up in front of Chanyeol, his neck arched up to see the taller wizard's face. He almost swoons because Park Chanyeol's face up close is a masterpiece.

His eyes are wide, almost as wide as Kyungsoo's and they're warm. One eyebrow is raised in amusement as he stares back at Baekhyun and Baekhyun remembers a bit too late to school his features into something aggressive. He knows from experience (and definitely not hours spent staring at his reflection in the bathroom) that he probably looks constipated right now and he's more than a little relieved when the two captains finally shake hands roughly. 

He manages to wrench his gaze from Chanyeol's neck (covered in a sheen of sweat despite the chilly weather) to stare at the rest of the team. Sehun, a brooding third year stands at the end of the line, a look of intense boredom on his face as he stares in the general direction of Luhan who's standing across from him. Despite himself, Baekhyun snickers, knowing Luhan is probably having a hissy fit.

Joonmyun is still conversing with Kris, eyes furrowed in apparent displeasure. Kris looks slightly detached, although an amused quirk of his lips show otherwise. He's giving quiet answers, unlike Joonmyun's shrill replies, and he nods pleasantly when the Gryffindor captain huffs. 

Finally the two captains nod at each other, Joonmyun somewhat stiffly and Kris walks back towards the other end of the field, broomstick hefted up over a sloped shoulder. 

"We're going to beat them," Joonmyun blurts out as soon as the whole team is gathered around. Minho grins, clutching his broomstick with anticipation. 

"Are we practicing against them today?" Xiumin yawns as he leans against his Cleansweep 11. "It's too cold to play," he adds as an afterthought before quieting down at Joonmyun's intense glare.

"We're going to beat them," Joonmyun repeats stubbornly, lip jutting out, looking more like an upset first year than the captain of the Quidditch team. 


Baekhyun arrives back in the dorms three hours later, stomach growling, dripping wet and covered in mud. Jongdae sees him and starts laughing, wheezing as his eyes tear up involunatarily and Baekhyun takes that as a chance to deliver a swift quick to Jongdae's abdomen. 

He huffs off to the showers, leaving Jongdae wheezing in pain.

When he comes out of the showers, warm and clean for the first time in hours, he finds Kyungsoo lying on his four poster bed as Jongdae lounges on the floor. He can't help but grin in appreciation as he sees the two large sandwiches and a jug of pumpkin juice sitting on the bedside table. 

"I'm such a good friend to you," Jongdae sniffs teasingly. "And you repay me by kicking me in the stomach, you ."

Baekhyun sends him an appreciative grin before pouncing on the two sandwiches. He moans in satisfaction as the first bite of ham and cheese is swallowed and Kyungsoo laughs, eyes crinkling in amusement. 

"How was practice?" Jongdae asks, eyes bright with interest.

Baekhyun swallows another bite before he replies, "You're a pretty good flier, Dae, why don't you try out next year?"

Jongdae shrugs, swallowing back a small smile. "Maybe. But how was practice?"

Baekhyun groans before taking a huge gulp of pumpkin juice. "We're sharing a field with the Slytherin team," he mumbles out thickly. He barely has time to process what happened when Jongdae's up and throwing pillows into the air, cackling like a mad man. Baekhyun turns to Kyungsoo in confusion but Kyungsoo is shaking with laughter as well, arms wrapped around Baekhyun's stuffed rilakumma. 

"Slytherin?" Jongdae slows down to say, smile stretching wildly over his face as he trembled in excitement.

"Yes?"

Jongdae plopped himself down onto the bed next to Baekhyun before ruffling Baekhyun's hair sloppily. "Remember how you said you'd do anything we tell you too?"

"Yeah?" Baekhyun replies weakly as his face pales considerably. 

"He's friends with that guy, Jongin isn't he? Or Sehun? They're both on the Quidditch team as well." Jongdae wriggled his eyebrows mischievously. "If you want to be my lover," he croons out. "You gotta be with my friends-"

"Okay, stop," Baekhyun whines, covering his ears up with his hands as he sticks his tongue out at his two friends. He's laughing though as he nods hesitantly. "Okay, I'll try it."


Quidditch practice on Monday night can be described with one word. 

Wonderful.

Baekhyun is wet and muddy and Joonmyun is probably still ranting about Kris Wu, ( his good DNA, why does he have to be tall and have a chiseled face and does his hair never get wet?) but practice is great. He manages to get in a conversation with Kim Jongin of all people and even though the whole conversation ends up being about Kyungsoo and his skill for potions (that surpasses even those of Slytherins') its a nice start. 

He somehow manages to end the conversation with a nice, "Hey, Jongin, why don't we meet up in Hogsmeade next weekend? I'll bring Kyungsoo so you guys can talk and you can bring a few of your friends? I'm sure Kyungsoo would love to help you with your potions essay," all in one breath but Jongin takes it in stride with a large grin and a "Thank you hyungthat sounds great."

Baekhyun decides that his work is done and with a small smile, he waves goodbye to Jongin before slowly angling his broom up and accelerating until he can feel the icy cold wind nip at his cheeks.

With an exhilarated whoop, he swerves back down, knees bent, leaning forward into his broom until he's falling towards the ground, wind grabbing at his robes and biting his cheeks. He's falling towards the ground and falling into love and gravity is just pulling him closer and closer to the ground (and coincidentally, where Chanyeol is currently resting, lean form resting against his Nimbus 2000).

He's laughing when he swerves up at the last minute, just seconds away from crashing into the ground and he saves the amused smile Chanyeol gives him into his memories..


He crawls into bed that night, sore from the last minute round against Slytherin, wincing as he remembered his collision with Taemin, the other team's seeker. In the end, it was Kris who somehow caught the small golden ball while both Taemin and Baekhyun bonded over the Slytherin's bloody nose and Baekhyun's black eye. 

"I don't see how you have a black eye," Jongdae yawns, eyes on the verge of shutting down completely. "How do you manage to crash into his elbow and knee his nose at the same time?"

Kyungsoo grumbled in agreement. 

"I dunno," Baekhyun mumbles, halfway to dreamland. "But we're meeting Jongin and a few guys at Hogsmeade next week."

Despite Kyungsoo's frantic squeaks and Jongdae's exuberant shrieks as background noises, he falls asleep dreaming of blasted end shrews, chocolate covered frogs and tall wizards with amused smiles on their faces.

Baekhyun walks into The Hog's Head, Kyungsoo trailing behind him sullenly as Jongdae and Luhan tag along in the rear. Jongin is already there, green robes taking up half of the large booth. Sehun, the brooding beater is there as well and his eyes widen when he sees Luhan. Baekhyun hears Luhan snort from beside him but when he turns to glance the the older boy, there's a soft smile on his face. 

Baekhyun knows that the two have been talking since the incident the first day when Sehun supposedly ignored Luhan. Unable to take Luhan's nagging anymore, Sehun had bought Luhan a large bag of Bert's Every Flavor Jelly Beans (though how he knew that was Luhan's favorite sweet was anyone's guess) and Luhan in return decided to tutor the younger boy in charms lessons. 

Beside Sehun is the Slytherin Chaser that Baekhyun knows but isn't familiar with, Tao. He's around the same age as Sehun, dark moody eyes with a surprising amount of aegyo and sweetness. (Baekhyun once caught Kris crumbling under the power of a small pout during Quidditch practice).

On the other side of Jongin is Park Chanyeol. His hair is mussed up, his eyes are bright and its only when Jongdae jabs him in the back, quiet laughter sounding in Baekhyun's mind before he realizes everyone else is already at the booth while he's still staring. 

He quickly shuffles to the table, sliding into the booth next to Jongdae. He looks up to find Chanyeol laughing at something Luhan says and looks back down at his lap. Soon drinks are served, cold frothy bottles of butterbeer sitting on the table. Luhan and Sehun have somehow ended up next to each other (Sehun kicked Tao out) and Baekhyun winces because Luhan is a lightweight. He remembers the last time they went to The Hog's Head together and he cries internally because why can't his friends be normal? Butterbeer isn't even alcoholic for Merlin's sake. 

Tao and Jongdae have somehow started a conversation and he can feel the bench shake from Jongdae's obnoxious, shaking laughter. Kyungsoo and Jongin are deep in discussion and he can hear potion terms flying out of their conversation and smacking his y--potion brain. That leaves- Chanyeol who's sitting there sipping his butterbeer, lips perched delectably on the mouth of the bottle and Baekhyun scolds himself internally. He wonders how much authors make a year for a best seller on Chanyeol's lips. Thirty galleons? Fifty? 

He reprimands his silly brain because obviously descriptions of Chanyeol's lips are worth more than that. He's so busy calculating how many galleons he'd be able to earn from just one book, he doesn't notice Chanyeol's talking to him until Jongdae's elbow jabs into his ribs.

He somehow manages to lurch forward and pour the contents of his butterbeer bottle all over Chanyeol's robes. The whole table goes silent, Baekhyun stares at Chanyeol mortified, before Chanyeol begins laughing, shaking laughter that causes the table to shake even more than Jongdae does, but Baekhyun can't bring himself to mind. 

"I'll head back first," Chanyeol says, eyes crinkling in amusement as Baekhyun attempts to sink into the ground. 

Before Baekhyun can say a word, Jongdae is pulling him up and pushing him towards Chanyeol. 'Baekhyun will go with you," Jongdae announces and sends Baekhyun a wink.

Chanyeol laughs at Baekhyun's apparent discomfort. "You don't have to come with me," he assures, voice light. "Its not your fault, I saw Jongdae's elbow."

"No, I'll come!" Baekhyun exclaims quickly, hoping he didn't sound overly eager. "It's my fault I'm so clumsy."

They're walking out of The Hog's Head, cloaks wrapped tightly around themselves as they begin the walk back to the castle. "I've realized," Chanyeol chuckles, turning his head to smile at Baekhyun. "You almost broke Taemin's nose the other day didn't you?"

He dissolves into laughter as Baekhyun groans again, burying his face into the front of his cloak. "That was an accident," he protests weakly, voice muffled through the cloth.

As they reach the staircase where they would split, the Slytherin back to his dorms in the dungeons and the Gryffindor back to the tower. 

"Uh," Baekhyun mumbles, quickly thinking of some way to keep the conversation going just a little longer. 

Chanyeol turns to face him, eyes crinkling into a sweet smile. "It seems wherever you are, trouble is," he teases and Baekhyun prays to Dumbledore that his face isn't as red as it feels. "But I like trouble," Chanyeol smiled. "And I heard you're a y potions student. I can help tutor you since Kyungsoo seems to be stuck with Jongin now."

Baekhyun can't help but let a large smile take over his face and he can feel his cheeks stretching out too wide. "I'd love that," he squeaks out. "Thank you."

Chanyeol grins, hands in his wet robes, as he gives a small carefree shrug. "It would be my pleasure. Friends?"

"Friends," Baekhyun replies (not breathlessly at all) and Chanyeol turns to walk away. Baekhyun hesitates for a second and squeaks out a "I'm sorry about your robes," before he sprints up the staircases to where the Fat Lady is waiting.

(He likes to think the faint laughter that follows his statement isn't his imagination)


The next morning, Jongdae wakes up with a piece of scrap parchment on his face. 

Step one-- complete.

 

 

 


A/N: I was so excited to start this story, I just spent the last hour writing the first chapter, hehe. I honestly love Harry Potter so much so when this idea came to me, I was so excited (hints, harry potter pickup lines ahead). Please, please, please leave a comment because comments make me feel happier than Jongin with chicken. Laughs// that's really all, I guess. Please enjoy :)